Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options
    And third!
  • Options
    And no short leg, very strange how short leg is no longer the mandatory position it used to be.
  • Options
    Here comes Johnson....
  • Options
    KP gone...dissappointing
  • Options
    ffs... watching that my words were literally "Pietersen, you tw...."

72-3. Hooked straight down the fielder's throat...
  • Options
    We've been totally outplayed in this Test and will lose. However it's positions like this that you have to use to your advantage. Almost use it as a net, just bat and bat and bat. Batting in the middle in a match is the best practice you can get.
    Adelaide will be a good wicket and if we can go there after our batsmen have scored a few runs we can use that as an advantage.
    Our massive mistake in 2007 was declaring at Adelaide after getting beaten at Brisbane when we should have batted on and on and killed the game. We didn't stop the rot and lost 5 nil.
    So lets bat all day and go to Adelaide with some form.

So as I write this the tosser KP has just holed out totally unnecessarily to fine leg. WANKER!
  • Options
    For all you lot who have given up, I've just seen Captain Cook play an Extra Cover Drive. Two shot pony? I don't think so.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Oh dear, another England batting collapse. 160-8 and only the rain can now take the game into day 5. Our batting is embarrassingly poor.
  • Options
    4 more tests to go and we never start well. Relax.
  • Options
    60% Aussies series win ........... 20% England series win ...... 20% series drawn
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

60% Aussies series win ........... 20% England series win ...... 20% series drawn

You must be impressed with the away support?
  • Options
    Most of em prolly live in London Oz
  • Options
    anyone hear the jimmy anderson sledge? Apparently telling some one they're going to get their arm broken is gamesmanship whilst being given not out makes you a cheat and the target of tabloid bullshit.
  • Options
    If what was said is acceptable then I hope we smash them in the remaining tests.If that doesn't fire them up nothing will.It is tantamount to a footballer telling a fellow professional they are going to break their leg.Clarke has been found out little wanker, I hope we beat the living daylights out of them.I would have thought it would have been better to wait until you had won the ashes before spouting off.
  • Options
    Well personally I'd rather be playing against a fired up, hostile, sledgefull bunch of Aussies, players and press than the bunch of softies we've seen over the past few series'.
  • Options
    sledging is fine telling someone you are going to break their arm aint
  • Options
    Lets chill. A few hear reckoned the Aussies will win the first one. We were underprepared, as usual. Australia are cack. As long as our batsman don't continue to be cacker than cack we should at least make a contest of it. On paper we are better. If we lose the series it will be our own fault.
  • Options

sledging is fine telling someone you are going to break their arm aint

Been going on for years and Anderson and Broad have said as much and worse, Michael Vaughn confirmed this. The better stump mics pick up more.

Alec Stewart just said the same.
  • Options
    That's not really sledging. Sledges are designed to get inside your head. That's just a threat, not a sledge. England need firing up - they were ridiculously undercooked in this test. Hopefully they'll work on their batting, which was - and has been for some time - absolutely atrocious.

And Clarke's always been a nasty, vindictive little c*** anyway. No amount of simpering 'ah look, England played well' interviews during the last series could gloss over his bitterness.

Glad they've picked that prick Warner. Someone to actually despise always makes the series more enjoyable - especially if he's actually playing well.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    My only concern is how shell shocked Cook looked, that 1st test may have taken a hell of a psychological blow, fortunately it was not back to back tests and we have a chance to work on things mentally and in the nets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Slightly off topic, but anyone who wants a good laugh (God knows you'll probably need it after this test) look on YouTube for vidos of 'Ashes Cricket 2013' - the worst game ever released. I swear to God, you've never seen gameplay this bad and the grpahics? Ye Gods, it makes Brian Lara cricket on the Megadrive look like Crysis 3.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

My only concern is how shell shocked Cook looked, that 1st test may have taken a hell of a psychological blow, fortunately it was not back to back tests and we have a chance to work on things mentally and in the nets.

Only problem is I'm not sure that they'll want to replicate the barrage, a la Johnson, in the nets. "Right Finny, Broady, Tremmers, Jimmy and Boydy - I want you to see if you can knock Trotty's block off!".

Equally, playing a bunch of second rate medium pacers in a tour match isn't going to help our batsmen.
  • Options
    They brought in Tymal Mills from Essex to fire rockets at them. He's not a world beater but can bowl at 94mph. He took a few of the England players out on the tour match before the home series.

The fact we look so clueless is a disgrace. Is there an argument that do much is prepared with all the analysts, video guys etc that the players can cope when something doesn't go their way?

I shouldn't get so worked out, but i'm seeing Warner, smith, Clarke, Watson and Haddin's unjustifiably smug, ugly faces and its annoying me. I'd love it if we stuffed them.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

They brought in Tymal Mills from Essex to fire rockets at them. He's not a world beater but can bowl at 94mph. He took a few of the England players out on the tour match before the home series.

The fact we look so clueless is a disgrace. Is there an argument that do much is prepared with all the analysts, video guys etc that the players can cope when something doesn't go their way?

I shouldn't get so worked out, but i'm seeing Warner, smith, Clarke, Watson and Haddin's unjustifiably smug, ugly faces and its annoying me. I'd love it if we stuffed them.

Couldn't agree more. The issue I have is that, following last season's failings, Trott is meant to have spent the last three months with a gameplan to counteract the short pitched stuff.
  • Options
    I'm too long in the tooth to get worked up and despise people playing sport these days.

Am making a huge exception for Warner though - ugh I've trodden in more pleasant things than this scumbag.
  • Options
    Obviously I'm gutted we were so awful this Test, but I'm loving that the series has some real needle behind it now - it's how an Ashes should be.

The Aussies were clearly wound up by last summer and managed to channel it into their games this Test, I really hope we can do the same and redouble efforts to get it right next time out.

And as it clearly means so much to the Aussies this time out, I would (Keegan style) love it if we beat them. Love it.
  • Options
    Australia are not a good side, we batted awfully - simple as that.

Their top six - apart from Clarke - is dreadful and the worst they have had for a long, long time.

Our success here last time was based on putting on BIG runs at the top of the order and giving the middle-order boys a great platform against tired bowlers - look at the stats for the fall of the 1st/2nd Wickets...

Brisbane
    1st Inns: 0 - 41
    2nd Inns: 188 - DNB

Adelaide
    1st Inns:1 - 176
    2nd Inns:DNB - DNB

Perth
    1st Inns:78 - 82
    2nd Inns:23 - 37

Melbourne
    1st Inns:159 - 170
    2nd Inns: DNB - DNB

Sydney
    1st Inns: 98 - 99
    2nd Inns: DNB - DNB

...if we don't do that then we are in big trouble, so it is critical that we resolve the Trott issue one way or the other.

Personally I think he looks shot and can't see him coming back this series - I would bring everyone up the order and bring in Ben Stokes at number 7 to be a fourth-seamer and help out the bowlers.

If our batting is weak then we need to relieve the pressure on the bowlers and try and blast the Aussies out.
  • Options
    Matches like this explain why the likes of Bresnan so often need to play to bolster the batting.

Our bowlers did a decent job to bowl Australia out for less than 300 yet our batting capitulated disgracefully. Twice.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Matches like this explain why the likes of Bresnan so often need to play to bolster the batting.

Our bowlers did a decent job to bowl Australia out for less than 300 yet our batting capitulated disgracefully. Twice.

Fair point Len but a 40-50 from Bresnan would not have made any difference here.

What we needed - and did not get - was any of our top-order getting a big hundred which would have allowed us to build the innings around them.
  • Options
    Just got back from Brisbane from possibly the worst few sporting days I can remember. Went with my Aussie brother in law who loved rubbing it in at all times. Pay back for Sydney last time where I was able to give it just as large last time. On a plus I bumped into four fellow addicks on the Friday in the ground.