Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Transfer Window Summer 2013 (Alnwick In, Green loan out, Stewart loan in)

Comments

• Options
    Benson wasn't the level needed but he was a goalscorer, not a target man. Scored something like 10 goals for us, did a job at the time.

Hayes was a good League 1 player, linked up better with BWP than Yann did, but Yann had a much better all round game.

Mooney worked hard, but wasn't quite a link player, not quite a goalscorer and definitely not a target man. Reasonable footballer without standing out in any area if his game.
  • Options
    I clearly remember Mooney scoring in the play off semi against the Swindon. I also remember the "Mooney, Mooney" chant.
    Saying there was nothing right with him is unfair in my opinion.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I clearly remember Mooney scoring in the play off semi against the Swindon. I also remember the "Mooney, Mooney" chant.

Would agree with this. Think he had a hard time with those around him - I remember him making some intelligent runs - only for no one to see him!

• Options
    edited June 2013
    PopIcon said:

Ha i know mate, I'm bein totally unfair. Just didnt rate Mooney at all and I've always been harsh on him. He just really bugged me when he was here and when I think of him I think of the shite we was served up on a regular basis.

Didnt agree with the intelligent run thing either, he basically turned his back and ran to the otherside of the defence. Making a run doesn't make it intelligent.

Anyway it was a joke rumour...thank f**k for that.
  • Options
    He tried hard and was with us at a time when we were still reeling from just how shit we were

No one was good enough unless they were home grown kids whom we saw as hope

He def was a boo boy favorite by no means the worst back then but wasnt good enough then is a wind up rumour now

So wouldnt worry about it

• Options
    Seen Donaldson loads and comparisons with Sodje wide of the mark. Decent player with skill touch and pace. Question mark is his role. Often drifts wide or deep. Inclination or instruction? Barely scored first season at Bees but could play in Prem IMO.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Benson wasn't the level needed but he was a goalscorer, not a target man. Scored something like 10 goals for us, did a job at the time.

Hayes was a good League 1 player, linked up better with BWP than Yann did, but Yann had a much better all round game.

Mooney worked hard, but wasn't quite a link player, not quite a goalscorer and definitely not a target man. Reasonable footballer without standing out in any area if his game.

What bugged me about Benson was that despite his generous height he was useless in the air. I used to watch Elliot's kicks, aimed accurately at Benson up front, who would rather peculiarly jump from the side, almost invariably mistimed and ineffective. I recall Yann's first game for us and immediately thinking: at last, a striker with an aerial threat. At the risk of flogging a dead horse, may I ask - have we all given up on BWP? I've long had this nagging feeling that we missed a trick in not finding a way to get his mojo working again.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Lualua did cock all when he came on for Brighton against Palace. Not that I bear a grudge. Much.

Seriously, the strikers we bring in have got to be better than the ones we released - Fuller, Haynes and BWP.
    Surely? Otherwise what was the point of releasing them?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    @Viewfinder I rate BWP..but as at L1 level. I think his movement is decent when he wants it to be. Problem is his finishing isn't good enough. He scored 20 odd goals season before last but we were creating chances for fun. The league we are in now you only get 1 or 2 a game and you can't afford to be as wasteful as BWP.
  • Options

@Viewfinder I rate BWP..but as at L1 level. I think his movement is decent when he wants it to be. Problem is his finishing isn't good enough. He scored 20 odd goals season before last but we were creating chances for fun. The league we are in now you only get 1 or 2 a game and you can't afford to be as wasteful as BWP.

I have to agree. I liked BWP's instinct for doing something unexpected, such as swivelling on the edge of the box and hammering a low shot through a crowd of defenders to catch the keeper unawares. But he failed too often in those one-on-ones. A pity, I felt there was a valuable raw talent there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

Admittedly this is not a Mooney thread, but the question is would you be happy if Mooney was the player coming in to head up our strike force next season? i certainly wouldn't be. Thats not a slate on him as a person, or even the things he tried when with us, its just a preference on my part to not have him in our team. He even struggled at Orient according to my Orient mate where the fans almost hounded him out until he finally scored and then got a few on the trot, then disappeared again and became the bad guy once more, a he didn't set the world alight when he was with us before so in my opinion we shouldn't be signing him. Not likley to happen anyway, so not really bothered.
  • Options
    It always seemed to me that BWP scored the harder goals or something from nothing, apart from the tap ins. The chances that a goal scorer would get 99% of the time he seemed to struggle with. However he was the main goal grabber in the championship winning side and as such will always be a player I think positively about.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

It always seemed to me that BWP scored the harder goals or something from nothing, apart from the tap ins. The chances that a goal scorer would get 99% of the time he seemed to struggle with. However he was the main goal grabber in the championship winning side and as such will always be a player I think positively about.

I wouldn't get rid of BWP. He done superbly for us in the championship winning season and that should never be forgotten. But he is more than likely going to want first team football next season and i am not sure Powell could guarantee that. Unless he came in pre-season training firing on all cylinders and looking sharp. He hasn't actually gone yet though has he? or has he i might have missed that.
  • Options
    Madz said:

cfgs said:

I wouldn't get rid of BWP. He done superbly for us in the championship winning season and that should never be forgotten. But he is more than likely going to want first team football next season and i am not sure Powell could guarantee that. Unless he came in pre-season training firing on all cylinders and looking sharp. He hasn't actually gone yet though has he? or has he i might have missed that.
    No, I don't believe he has officially gone yet. He may go to Brentford permanently, and there was a rumour that MK Dons were keen. Seems slightly disappointing that for a striker with considerable natural talent he has found his level in Div One.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    BWP is on the Football League free transfer list, and unlike Hughes and Dervite, there's nothing to say he's been offered a new deal.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/1550449

http://www.football-league.co.uk/staticFiles/4e/bd/0,,10794~179534,00.pdf
  • Options
    if we cant replace the players we have let go from last year(Waggy,Taylor,Fuller,Haynes,and BWP) with at least the same quality then we know it has to be a slog next season
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Mooney is not good enough for us now but, given where we were, I had no problem with him while he was with us.

I think he did his best and that is all you can ask.

Whether that "best" is (was) good enough is another issue but certainly not the fault of the player concerned if he gives 100%.
  • Options

if we cant replace the players we have let go from last year(Waggy,Taylor,Fuller,Haynes,and BWP) with at least the same quality then we know it has to be a slog next season

We're still waiting for some action in the transfer market - only three weeks until Welling. Despite our spirited shows at the end of last season, I thought our standard of play overall was pretty mediocre. Let us not forget those regular home defeats throughout the winter: some truly abysmal performances: unable to retain possession, or pass accurately, or beat an opponent on a one-on-one. What made the difference towards the end? Gower and Hughes? Possibly - I'm yet to be fully convinced. The division may not be as forgiving next season; four points off the play-offs flattered us. I hope we won't have to rely on the U-21s stepping up; we'll need some experience and guile to unlock the mean Championship defences this season....

• Options
    Yes and going up flattered Palace,but are they bothered???????!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard the new kit is being revealed today. I guess we will find out if the Obika rumour is true.

" Obika set to sign for Charlton next week and will be unveiled in the new Home kit etc"
  • Options

We're still waiting for some action in the transfer market - only three weeks until Welling.

Don't panic, Capt Mainwaring. A lot of players are only just returning from their hollibobs so I'd expect to see some movement over the next couple of weeks.

• Options
    16 Jun 2013 22:17:43
    Notts county will hear back from charlton winger Danny green on Tuesday about a possible 3 year deal.

16 Jun 2013 13:31:17
    Championship News

Also Watford and Charlton have joined Millwall in the race for Simeon Jackson. 12K per week should secure the services of the Jamaican born Canadian Striker.
  • Options
    Aint worth 12k a week not even of smallwill money
  • Options
    Lomas mentioned Jackson at his first press conference as Spanner supremo,that would be unusual if he was not going to be signing him.
  • Options
    I find it strange that given Millwall's image, as well as all the exposure of recent race-related incidents, that any self respecting black footballer would want to represent that club.
  • Options
    I really do think we should be aiming for Jackson. I think he would do well alongside Kerm
  • Options
    Not at 12k a week we shouldnt imo
  • Options
    I would love Jackson, I imagine he will have to take a wage cut and end up on around 8k a week but considering who ever gets him doesnt have to pay a transfer fee might not be a bad bit of business
  • Options
    As people are suggesting I can see the club announcing someone with the new shirts, like what happened with Danny Green
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!