Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

**Post-Millwall Arrangements | Leaving The Ground | Please Read**

Comments

• Richard J said:

Next year I suspect we will not get the lower tier at the Toolbox

we'll need noah on call with the floods of tears from us.
  • So you clearly understand my point,

the choice is not wether an elderly genleman has to walk up a hill ,or get attacked or injured?

Of all the helpful contributions that might be right at the front,clearly everyone wants the elderly gent given a good pasting.

What could possibly lead to anyone getting attacked or injured walking to thier cars, buses or homes by the agreed route as directed by the club, the stewards after the game and the police.

Simply being one of many Charlton supporters stopped from getting to my car, and being told to just go home and come and get the car later, I would like an explantion, if that gives people on here a problem so be it, I believe people need an answer.

Just one final thought having been to few grounds over the last forty or so years, my experience is that football supporters mirror society ,all clubs have good and bad, some more and less of each. Police treat supporters like cattle, some good some some bad.
    None go out of their way to upset the majority of home support to accomodate, the away supporters that "might" be seeking retriubtion.
    But if this is the modern thinking then tell people.
  • I'm waiting for NLA to release a Police statement.
  • I will release my charge sheet no statement

But remember my little black book brings you all down
  • Curb_It said:

But dont worry Rufus - the Club see the whole thing as a great success as no one was hurt during the inconvenience.

Which surely is precisely the point?! Would you prefer an elderly gentleman has to be inconvenienced by walking up a hill, or got attacked and injured?

This is getting stupid now. It was 1 game people. If it happened for every high risk game then fair enough, but there was police intel that suggested this needed to happen, and us be slightly inconvenienced as a result, for 1 game only.
    You could start your own thread up - maybe call the title, "I was happy that the club and Police inconvenienced me and my fellow supporters." It will be interesting to see how many people would like to add to your post ?
  • Spanish said:

Curb_It said:

But dont worry Rufus - the Club see the whole thing as a great success as no one was hurt during the inconvenience.

Which surely is precisely the point?! Would you prefer an elderly gentleman has to be inconvenienced by walking up a hill, or got attacked and injured?

This is getting stupid now. It was 1 game people. If it happened for every high risk game then fair enough, but there was police intel that suggested this needed to happen, and us be slightly inconvenienced as a result, for 1 game only.
    You could start your own thread up - maybe call the title, "I was happy that the club and Police inconvenienced me and my fellow supporters." It will be interesting to see how many people would like to add to your post ?
    I've not once said I was happy with it. I purposely parked on the Charlton Lane side of the ground so I could leave easily afterwards. With the police then blocking the top of Harvey Gardens obviously leaving easily was not going to happen, and so I was held up just like everyone else.

What I am saying is, having since seen Mick Everett's response it is quite clear why the decisions that were taken were taken and I have no issue with them. I guarantee this thread would be twice the size it is now if the club had done what the police wanted and let us both out at the same time and some trouble ensued.

I do have an issue with the way things were communicated to us, but overall it was about half an hour out of our lives, it really should not be this big an issue.
  • RufusNo5 said:

So you clearly understand my point,

the choice is not wether an elderly genleman has to walk up a hill ,or get attacked or injured?

Of all the helpful contributions that might be right at the front,clearly everyone wants the elderly gent given a good pasting.

What could possibly lead to anyone getting attacked or injured walking to thier cars, buses or homes by the agreed route as directed by the club, the stewards after the game and the police.

Simply being one of many Charlton supporters stopped from getting to my car, and being told to just go home and come and get the car later, I would like an explantion, if that gives people on here a problem so be it, I believe people need an answer.

Just one final thought having been to few grounds over the last forty or so years, my experience is that football supporters mirror society ,all clubs have good and bad, some more and less of each. Police treat supporters like cattle, some good some some bad.
    None go out of their way to upset the majority of home support to accomodate, the away supporters that "might" be seeking retriubtion.
    But if this is the modern thinking then tell people.

But it was not the agreed route which was clearly stated by the club, which I think is peeing people off.

• Statto said:

Typical. I took two friends to their first ever football match, even getting them to wear Charlton shirts. We parked in Macros but got totally lost ending up in Charlton High St as the police couldnt direct us. What was worse, my friends were treated by the police as though they were hooligans and all we wanted was directions. Charlton have lost two new potential fans and this has left me with a sour taste so I wont be back for a while

Could you remind me where the High Street is?
    and got lost between Makros car park and the ground.....ermm.
    OK you suspicious lot!!! If I knew the area at the top of the hill I would know it wasnt called the High St. I used this terminology as we were in a main road at the top of Charlton having been told by the police to turn right out of the North stand and then told to turn right again at the second cordoned off road that was going left. Straight on was an option but other fans were saying you couldnt get through from there. So we walked up the hill which seemed to be as far away as possible from Makros but we had no other choice. We then had no clue how to get from there back to Makros so eventually we walked back down the hill and it was so late by then that the police were then letting people through. My own stupidity may have been partly to blame but getting lost wasnt what annoyed me so much. It was the way we were treated when we asked for help and were as good as threatened to move on. Now please take comments in the spirit in which they are written and not spend time posting doubts about other fans quotes and comments.
  • Isn't police intelligence an oxymoron?

Brilliant

• I think we can discount Sue Parkes' claim the club's safety officers didn't know about Charlton Lane until Monday morning. It wasn't what they had been led to expect by the police, but the operation is much more hands on than this would suggest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:

Next year I suspect we will not get the lower tier at the Toolbox and if we use the same logic the the Spanners should also have limited numbers at the Valley and held back.

If as we have been told Police intelligence told them that there was a high risk around some of their fans.Why were they sold tickets?

It was not the fans in the ground they were worried about, there were strong rumours doing the rounds that Milwall were going to come at the home fans from both ends of Floyd Road after the game, a lot of these fans were supposed to be ticketless hence why they were not in the ground.

• *prepares for 18 more pages of thread* :-p
  • edited March 2013
    Should have bought a large popcorn :-)
  • So now the club have explained themselves, said sorry, no one was hurt and everything will be back to normal for the next game....can we now please drop this?!!
  • So now the club have explained themselves, said sorry, no one was hurt and everything will be back to normal for the next game....can we now please drop this?!!

Who the eff are you telling us what we can or cant talk about?
  • So i didnt swear? I would really like to tho.
  • Go on , I dare ya
  • edited March 2013
    The explanation on the O/S still doesn't make anything clearer.

1 Still no explanation as to why Millwall weren't held back - the obvious thing to do, unless we understand why not.

2 Still no explanation as to why it was a surprise to the Transport Police that the majority were heading for a level crossing, when the police had forced them that way.

3 Still no explanation as to why Millwall fans were allowed to go wherever they pleased, when we were under the impression that they were to be put on trains.

Ad infinitum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_it, I'm not telling anyone what they can and can't do!! Not sure where you got that from! Surely you can see that this thread is getting a little hysterical now though? It was a one off, can we not move on and talk about something slightly more interesting, such as, dare I say it, football?!
  • Curb_it, I'm not telling anyone what they can and can't do!! Not sure where you got that from! Surely you can see that this thread is getting a little hysterical now though? It was a one off, can we not move on and talk about something slightly more interesting, such as, dare I say it, football?!

This.

Baffled how people still haven't calmed down from it to be honest. It isn't as if this is going to be happening every week.

First time I've ever known it to happen and all of a sudden people are suggesting they aren't going to buy season tickets again!
  • You are telling us to drop the discussion? Is that not correct? so therefore telling us what to do.

Dont open this thread again if you dont like it, and that's me suggesting what you should do.

Anyway i want to go back to the topic if you don't mind.

Good points CE but i guess we arent going to get any further explanation and just have to meekly accept it like sheep.

• The explanation on the O/S still doesn't make anything clearer.

1 Still no explanation as to why Millwall weren't held back - the obvious thing to do, unless we understand why not.

2 Still no explanation as to why it was a surprise to the Transport Police that the majority were heading for a level crossing, when the police had forced them that way.

3 Still no explanation as to why Millwall fans were allowed to go wherever they pleased, when we were under the impression that they were to be put on trains.

Ad infinitum.

Indeed. The statement on the club website is fairly simillar to the e mail placed on here on monday.

The above questions have not been answered, so here's hoping the FSF, FF and CAST are able to push this forward.
  • Curb_It said:

You are telling us to drop the discussion? Is that not correct? so therefore telling us what to do.

Dont open this thread again if you dont like it, and that's me suggesting what you should do.

Anyway i want to go back to the topic if you don't mind.

Good points CE but i guess we arent going to get any further explanation and just have to meekly accept it like sheep.

If you will re-read my points again, I think you will see that I asked if we could drop it now, hence the 'can we' and the question mark after the sentence. I didn't tell you to do anything.

Thank you cafctom, glad someone else is thinking this is all rather childish and hysterical.
  • “We have received a number of complaints from fans regarding the post-match arrangements, but we have also received a significant number of messages praising our efforts to keep rival supporters apart."

lol.. shame about all the millwall fans in the ground that cafc fans were trying to eject but stewards were having none of it, shame about the fact that millwall were mixing with charlton after the final whistle which is when, in reality, most trouble is going to occur.

Lod of ballcox about safety of the fans, where in my views they were just lucky that those that could of kicked off, didn't.
  • Not one mention of why they couldnt hold back the Millwall fans.
  • MrOneLung said:

Not one mention of why they couldnt hold back the Millwall fans.

Because that was a police matter, not a club matter. Prague Addick has asked for minutes of the meeting so hopefully that will be found out when he receives them.
  • Richard J said:

Next year I suspect we will not get the lower tier at the Toolbox and if we use the same logic the the Spanners should also have limited numbers at the Valley and held back.

If as we have been told Police intelligence told them that there was a high risk around some of their fans.Why were they sold tickets?

It was not the fans in the ground they were worried about, there were strong rumours doing the rounds that Milwall were going to come at the home fans from both ends of Floyd Road after the game, a lot of these fans were supposed to be ticketless hence why they were not in the ground.

Interesting perspective,where did you here that from?
  • I thought the old bill done a good job, it went of fairly quietly compared to what could have happened job done and move on, me thinks.