Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Forest | Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    We might as well play some youngsters at home as it doesn't seem to matter whose wearing the shirt at the Valley ... we lose.

Might not be good for their confidence / development though , although if they make a positive impact maybe they can lift the home ground and get the place buzzing.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

We might as well play some youngsters at home as it doesn't seem to matter whose wearing the shirt at the Valley ... we lose.

Might not be good for their confidence / development though , although if they make a positive impact maybe they can lift the home ground and get the place buzzing.

Taking games in hand into account and assuming they are won our cushion from the bottom 3 is now just 4 points!

We are in the relegation mix and need some wins. Peterborough and Huddersfield in particular are must not lose at the very least.

• Options
    I agree in part with what your saying Len , as someone else pointed out our home form is identical to Wolves home form , in terms of winds , draws , losses goal scored and conceded , do we need a bit of caution thrown to the wind at the Valley , and no i don't mean stink bombs! :-0
  • Options
    Oh dear remember those days well
  • Options

queensland_addickMember

Blaming individual players when the whole team has been crap at home for 90% of the season, whilst being brilliant away from home, is misguided. You cannot win at places like Leicester and Watford and run rings around Palace at Selhurst for 45 mins with players who are sub standard. Contrast the performances at the start of last season with the way we now play at home. Back then CP believed in open, expansive attacking football. Paul Hayes played the role very well and provided great movement in the forward line which brought the best out of Stephens, and the whole team looked good and played with confidence and finesse.
    The tactics since at home have become increasingly negative. We start every game on the back foot and get out passed in virtually every home game. CP himself seems to be losing confidence in his own ability, which is reflected in his inaction to change things when the whole ground can see that a substitution is required. CP and his coaching staff need to have a rethink about their footballing philosophy in relation to home games and their obligation to provide entertainment to the paying public. Playing good football doesn't always bring good results, but in our situation we have nothing to lose because we are getting nowhere by playing in such a negative way at home atm.

I wish I had said this.

• Options
    Granpa said:

queensland_addickMember

Blaming individual players when the whole team has been crap at home for 90% of the season, whilst being brilliant away from home, is misguided. You cannot win at places like Leicester and Watford and run rings around Palace at Selhurst for 45 mins with players who are sub standard. Contrast the performances at the start of last season with the way we now play at home. Back then CP believed in open, expansive attacking football. Paul Hayes played the role very well and provided great movement in the forward line which brought the best out of Stephens, and the whole team looked good and played with confidence and finesse.
    The tactics since at home have become increasingly negative. We start every game on the back foot and get out passed in virtually every home game. CP himself seems to be losing confidence in his own ability, which is reflected in his inaction to change things when the whole ground can see that a substitution is required. CP and his coaching staff need to have a rethink about their footballing philosophy in relation to home games and their obligation to provide entertainment to the paying public. Playing good football doesn't always bring good results, but in our situation we have nothing to lose because we are getting nowhere by playing in such a negative way at home atm.

I wish I had said this.

Good post.

For me, the main reason we are better away from home than at home is obvious.
    We simply do not have the skill to be able to break teams down thru midfield, and therefore end up bypassing it.
    This is more likely to work away from home than at home when teams are going to sit back more.
    Look at the Leicester goals, one was from Waggy harrying and then a mistake, and the other was hoofball for Kermy to nod on.What else was 'created'
    The stats from Saturday are shocking - never seen such one-sided stats - which from a home team is not right- with 10 men or not.
    We have to change our tactics at home - play a more higher-up the pitch, harrying type game, and try to put some pressure on the opposition.
  • Options
    £30 ticket, no shots on target. :-/
  • Options
    And meant to say , I still trust SCP to keep us in this division and lead us onwards & upwards if he is given some funds next season.

Still learning all the time and still the best man for the job by a country mile.

Keep the faith .
  • Options
    A guy near me was talking about bringing Di Canio in, as "at least he'd have the passion and he earned a promotion last season". It was funny when someone else commented "what, like Powell did last year?!"

There's no-one with more passion for the club than Powell. He's definitely the man for the job. The set-up was wrong on Saturday and it backfired, but then if the Addicks had contained Forest for an hour with a full quota of 11 players, Haynes and/or Fuller may have had a lot more opportunities in the final third. Could have been a much different outcome. Though saying that, Forest were by far the better side.
  • Options
    I despair at this site after a defeat, hence I give up posting on football related matters for a few days - we were totally shite on Saturday, could've subbed pretty much any of them at HT, although Stephens was top of the list in my book, closely followed by Dervite and Pritchard.

Anyway, I've moved on from Saturday - I really can't get so worked up about football anymore, Powell is still learning and in my book is the man I still want in charge next season.

I'll have my season ticket come what may and so will my daughter, took 2 others with me Saturday who (despite the game) enjoyed the day and will probably also get ST's next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    AshC said:

A guy near me was talking about bringing Di Canio in, as "at least he'd have the passion and he earned a promotion last season". It was funny when someone else commented "what, like Powell did last year?!"

There's no-one with more passion for the club than Powell. He's definitely the man for the job. The set-up was wrong on Saturday and it backfired, but then if the Addicks had contained Forest for an hour with a full quota of 11 players, Haynes and/or Fuller may have had a lot more opportunities in the final third. Could have been a much different outcome. Though saying that, Forest were by far the better side.

Di Canio passion ? .. the only time that prat gets passionate for REAL is when he looks in the mirror .. the man is a fraud

• Options

I despair at this site after a defeat, hence I give up posting on football related matters for a few days - we were totally shite on Saturday, could've subbed pretty much any of them at HT, although Stephens was top of the list in my book, closely followed by Dervite and Pritchard.

Anyway, I've moved on from Saturday - I really can't get so worked up about football anymore, Powell is still learning and in my book is the man I still want in charge next season.

Agree with this and also with what AshC said. Whilst Forest had all the ball for the first hour, the two goals we conceded were both very much avoidable and we had to that point contained them to very few clear cut chances (although in the end could have easily conceded a few more). That said, the gulf in class in the midfeild was huge. Stephens baffles me as seems to have an absolute stinker probably every one in three games. As much as I respect Pritchard's attitude and endeavour I cant help but think he is shown up as being a bit lightweight at times especially when his opponents are of that quality. On that note, Andy Reid was total class I thought- how many passes did he misplace?!

Whilst Hamer did obviously collapse for about five minutes I have to say that I think all of our fans who from then on sarcastically clapped when he did something right cant have played much football themselves. Having played lowly sunday league football in goal I know that it is a horrible, horrible feeling having been at such obvious fault for a goal so I cant imagine how it feels doing it in front of 18,000 people. The last thing you need in that situation is a load of morons taking the mick which is hardly going to help their confidence. Pathetic behaviour I thought and reminds me of the dark days of a couple of years ago where people would boo if it was 0-0 at half time.
  • Options
    I do really hope that the team comes out all guns blazing on Saturday , no excuses , i'm sure CP will get the players up for it , he won't have enjoyed Saturday one bit , like us, i'd hate to be his cat, so too speak (Sorry for all the animal lovers out there).
  • Options

I also forgot to mention not only did I get frostbite watching that garbage on Saturday, I also got a parking ticket courtesy of the Royal Borough of Greenwich cash-generating fascists in peaked caps.

Glossy season ticket brochure arrived in the post today.

The midfield must be running our marketing department too or is it still that young lad in his gap year with the degree in dressmaking who once met Arsene Wenger??

• Options

Di Canio passion ? .. the only time that prat gets passionate for REAL is when he looks in the mirror .. the man is a fraud

There is a difference between being passionate and demented and our mate Paulo, great player that he was, definitely falls into the latter bracket. CP has plenty of passion I am sure so no need for changes. That said there have been some really good posts regarding our tactics at home and I agree we have to play much more positively Saturday showed that if you line up negatively against a good footballing side like Forest you struggle.
  • Options
    We shouldn't forget that a) we were playing a good side who were full of confidence and b) we had a man sent of at 0-0 - where despite being outplayed- neither team had had a meaningful chance. It was painful to watch but some perspective is required.
  • Options
    Lets go 433 for the remainder at home, altho its unlikely all 3 fwds wd be fit

Waggy stephens/pritch jacko

Haynes Kerm Fuller
  • Options
    Lets go 433 for the remainder at home, altho its unlikely all 3 fwds wd be fit

Waggy stephens/pritch jacko

Haynes Kerm Fuller
  • Options
    We have had issues with our main forwards' fitness for most of the season which hasn't helped!
  • Options

We have had issues with our main forwards' fitness for most of the season which hasn't helped!

Don't think the defence or the attack is our problem based on Saturday.

Messi would be struggling with our lot behind him falling over, kicking it straight into touch and racing about aimlessly.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I just hope we try something different out wide. Bring in harriott or cook. Would bring something different to the team at home for sure
  • Options

I just hope we try something different out wide. Bring in harriott or cook. Would bring something different to the team at home for sure

Harriott might be worth a go but not Cook IMHO.

• Options
    Saturday's performance stood out in that nearly all of our players played badly - pleased we only lost 2-0.
    Can't play that badly again.....
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Don't think the defence or the attack is our problem based on Saturday.

Messi would be struggling with our lot behind him falling over, kicking it straight into touch and racing about aimlessly.

Messi plays in a team where his team mates always find space so that simple passes can be made - the whole team. We are not in that class by a country mile, but top players would struggle without the simple passes being on. Easy to blame the midfield if you don't understand that fact. Stephens is a player who always looks for an incisive pass for instance- it carries a higher risk element but can also pay dividends. Can also be a disaster if nobody makes the runs he needs. The formation we played (which was understandable) and the way forest gave us no time and their quality did for us -and Kermogant getting sent off - but rather than say this player is rubbish and all that, it would be refreshing if some people tried to understand the issues. Away sides in recent weeks have reported that they have been beaten by us in midfield!!!
  • Options
    I work with a Canadian girl and since she expressed an interest in her and her partner attending a "soccer" match I persuaded her that it should be to Charlton she should go over Selhurst which was being suggested by the Palace fan I also work with. She lives in Bromley so I thought I had done well getting them to make the extra effort in getting to SE7. When I came into work this morning the first thing she said to me was " Dave you didn't tell me your team was rubbish " then went on to say how they were embarrassed it was so one sided. They did say they enjoyed the experience nd chanting etc. well done Charlton. Always to be relied on to balls it all up.
  • Options

I work with a Canadian girl and since she expressed an interest in her and her partner attending a "soccer" match I persuaded her that it should be to Charlton she should go over Selhurst which was being suggested by the Palace fan I also work with. She lives in Bromley so I thought I had done well getting them to make the extra effort in getting to SE7. When I came into work this morning the first thing she said to me was " Dave you didn't tell me your team was rubbish " then went on to say how they were embarrassed it was so one sided. They did say they enjoyed the experience nd chanting etc. well done Charlton. Always to be relied on to balls it all up.

Have you told her she can get a season ticket?
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2013
    I waited until now to post so I hope people see this. :-)

I listened to the game on Player and felt from the outset Chris was playing to a plan. He knows we don't have the calibre of players that the likes of Forest have but he also knows, if we play a certain way against teams like that, we can win. Just looking at his bench was telling me what his plan was. I felt it was to start out by playing it tight, keeping our shape and denying them any clearcut chances by sheer hard work and bloody mindedness. Not a pretty sight I know and not the sort of way we want our team to play at home but Chris recognises our limitations more than anyone. I remember him saying a while back that one of his early observations and surprises was the step up in quality from L1.

I think it was working and we were starting to get a foothold in the game. Yes, Forest were playing pretty football with a greater share of the possession but what chances did they really create in the first 30 minutes or so? I'm not sure if they were starting to get frustrated, but playing like we were would have started to result in that. I believe CP's plan was to wait until he felt the time was right and then to start opening the game up by bringing more attack minded players on (he had Haynes, Fuller and Obika on the bench) and revert to a more 4-4-2 approach (ala Leicester) and go for it.

And then it happened. All that planning went right out of the window with something that he just hadn't bargained for. In a moment of a blood rush to the head Yann the man got sent off. Yann was a big part of CP's plan and to lose him after 35 minutes or so was a huge loss. From then on it was always going to be an uphill struggle.

The rest is history really. Even at 1-0 we had both Fuller and Haynes on so you never know what may have happened but then Hamar makes a schoolboy error and it's all over. Lights out.

So, I don't think we should be too harsh on Chris. We're playing with mainly a L1 level team that is managing to hold their own in the division. He has had very little financial backing. He obviously knows our midfield is lacking on the skills front but he is getting the best out of them. And, for this game, there was no way he could account for Yann being sent off and Hamar making a howler.

So, folks, don't get despondent. In CP we trust. I just hope the Board have the same amount of insight and 'gut feel' that many on this forum have. Let's be careful what we wish for and, please Board, if you want to realise your Premiership dream, don't have any rushes of blood to the head regarding Chris Powell. At least not until he's been given the chance at least to prove what he can do with better players. Hopefully, he'll be given the time and money in the off season to strengthen where he needs to. He did that the last time.

That's it. I feel better now. :-)

• Options
    I disagree with people saying we are playing with a mainly league one team tbh,

Hamer- according to ppl on here he is prem quality.

Solly- clearly champ/prem quality

Cort- played champ majority of career

Morrison - defo too good for league 1.

Wiggins- again highly rated and was too good for league 1.

Stephens - attention from villa so must be champ standard.

Jackson- too good for league 1 his goals prove that.

Pritchard - again highly rated on here so now he is only league 1 standard?

Fuller - prem quality.

Haynes - defo champ quality and played majorirty of career here.

Kermo - too good for league 1 and becominf force in champ.

Taylor - I would say he is no worse than a lot of champ 3rd choice CB's.

Wilson - don't rate him at all but powell signed him so must believe he is champ standard.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Brought my missus and her eldest (his first game) travelled down from Cornwall and paid £90 quid for the three of us. Probably worth a tenner that performance. If I wanted to see a sh*t team struggling to string two passes together I could have gone to see Plymouth.
  • Options
    It will be like winning a cup staying up ...