Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• -3 here in Lewisham, with a realfeel of -12!
  • OK, it's settling a bit
  • Light dusting Romford way.
    Car said minus 9 at 7:00am this morning

• Snowing heavily in North London now...
  • Our ducks are most put out as the pond's frozen.
  • Snowing heavily in North London now...

Cocaine ?
  • Our ducks are most put out as the pond's frozen.

Always funny seeing puzzled birds that can't understand why they can't get into the water!
  • Robertsbridge this morning

You want to get a new car - the fuel economy is atrocious (although I expect its run on petrol)
  • LenGlover said:

The above picture was taken by my daughter in our back garden around 8:00 am.

eight and half inches by our back step but deeper still further down.

In 1987 we took our then 22 month daughter out and stood her in our front garden and the snow was just below her neck. Needless to say we removed her quickly!

Just as well Childline wasn't operational in those days, Len

Esther !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Worst days weather to load in at the Apollo but love the way things like this pull people together all helping each other twenty different crews fucking love this country and it’s why we will always succeed

Great image nla
  • chucking it down in london wall
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Solidgone said:

I’m surprised that The spurs v Rochdale match hasn’t been postponed. I’m sure the pitch is okay but for spectators getting there from up t’north is likely to be a mare.

Record low attendance for a Wembley match tonight me thinks.
    Nailed on for an upset.
    I’ve just seen some Rochdale fans in Cricklewood/Kilburn. I hope the match goes ahead for two reasons; it’s going to be an arduous long hike back to The North West in these conditions especially if the match is postponed and more importantly, there’s football on the box tonight.
  • Solidgone said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Solidgone said:

I’m surprised that The spurs v Rochdale match hasn’t been postponed. I’m sure the pitch is okay but for spectators getting there from up t’north is likely to be a mare.

Record low attendance for a Wembley match tonight me thinks.
    Nailed on for an upset.
    I’ve just seen some Rochdale fans in Cricklewood/Kilburn. I hope the match goes ahead for two reasons; it’s going to be an arduous long hike back to The North West in these conditions especially if the match is postponed and more importantly, there’s football on the box tonight.
    What are they doing in Cricklewood or Kilburn, I could think of better places to hang around in London!
  • It’s -3 here and we’ve had maybe a centimetre of snow and people are acting like the world is ending.

I am amazed by the number of schools that are closed. I can only think that this is down to schools and authorities being scared of being investigated or even sued should a child get injured on the play ground. I do not recall, back in the 70s, ever having a day off school for snow and certainly not on a day where we have an absolute maximum of two inches of the stuff.
    The biggest issue for many schools is the drop off at the start of the day.

In the 70s, many, many more children would have walked to school. Now, very few children walk, especially at primary schools (this is despite attempts by schools to encourage more children to walk).

A lot of the roads around schools struggle to cope with the volume of traffic at the beginning and end of the day. This is exacerbated by people parking inconsiderately and driving impatiently. There are far too many schools where the beginning and end of the day are a bit hairy even in good weather. Add icy roads to the mix, and it's a genuinely dangerous situation.

It's never an easy decision for a head to close a school, but they will be aware that they are potentially putting children at risk if they open a school in snowy or icy weather. Added to this are the considerations that some staff may not be able to make it in, and that there are some parents that simply won't send their children in if there's snow on the ground.

It's also worth noting that, despite all of the above, school closures remain rare.
  • edited February 2018
  • Still no snow here in the Maldives, mind you the temp has dropped from 33c to 31c so I might have soup as a starter tonight to warm up :smile:

You were warned the other day @eaststandmike!! I'll remove the flag when you're flying home!!! :wink:
  • Supposed to be flying out of city airport tomorrow morning. Not looking likely.
  • edited February 2018
    Stranded here in Scarborough...freezing cold, blowing a gale and snow everywhere!! Working here since Monday, was going to travel home today but journey has been cancelled due to blocked roads, crashes and dangerous driving conditions. Scarborough at the best of times is poor, in this weather its 'kin awful!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Car on its side at west wickham train station this morning by the width restrictions
  • Robertsbridge this morning

You want to get a new car - the fuel economy is atrocious (although I expect its run on petrol)
    It's diesel , it changes as I speed up slow and slow down.
    Gillis said:

It’s -3 here and we’ve had maybe a centimetre of snow and people are acting like the world is ending.

I am amazed by the number of schools that are closed. I can only think that this is down to schools and authorities being scared of being investigated or even sued should a child get injured on the play ground. I do not recall, back in the 70s, ever having a day off school for snow and certainly not on a day where we have an absolute maximum of two inches of the stuff.
    The biggest issue for many schools is the drop off at the start of the day.

In the 70s, many, many more children would have walked to school. Now, very few children walk, especially at primary schools (this is despite attempts by schools to encourage more children to walk).

A lot of the roads around schools struggle to cope with the volume of traffic at the beginning and end of the day. This is exacerbated by people parking inconsiderately and driving impatiently. There are far too many schools where the beginning and end of the day are a bit hairy even in good weather. Add icy roads to the mix, and it's a genuinely dangerous situation.

It's never an easy decision for a head to close a school, but they will be aware that they are potentially putting children at risk if they open a school in snowy or icy weather. Added to this are the considerations that some staff may not be able to make it in, and that there are some parents that simply won't send their children in if there's snow on the ground.

It's also worth noting that, despite all of the above, school closures remain rare.
    Absolutely all of this does make total sense. This isn't severe though (in Sidcup it is already melting) and I can't help thinking though that A & E will have moref injured children resulting from being off school than had they been in school - teenagers especially will be out sledging!
  • edited February 2018
    Feckers have cancelled my weekly football booking as the groundskeeper doesn't want to work in the snow... All he has to do is unlock and then lock a gate! That is literally it as it's an all weather pitch
  • Beautiful sunny day in Horsham so far.
  • LouisMend said:

clb74 said:

Car on its side at west wickham train station this morning by the width restrictions

On the plus side, they got through the width restriction comfortably image

You'll never squeeze through there!

Oh yeah? Watch this!
    When your car is seven foot one wide and your in a hurry!!