Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• edited February 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Really sad... did the dog survive? I note that they said trying.

Be a real shame if he died for nothing.
    Dog survived apparently and reunited with its owner, fella who died wasn’t even the owner apparently - was just trying to help save

RIP
    As someone who knows him I can tell you it was the dogs owner who died

Heartbreaking.
  • Laddick01 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Really sad... did the dog survive? I note that they said trying.

Be a real shame if he died for nothing.
    Dog survived apparently and reunited with its owner, fella who died wasn’t even the owner apparently - was just trying to help save

RIP
    As someone who knows him I can tell you it was the dogs owner who died

Heartbreaking.
    RIP. I suspect most people would try to save their dogs too. Just an automatic reaction without thinking.
  • Awful. Apparently there were people walking on the lake earlier in the day.

I used to go sailing and kayaking on that lake regularly as a kid growing up. I did my basic sailing qualifications there. Awful to think this would happen there.
  • Gillis said:

It’s -3 here and we’ve had maybe a centimetre of snow and people are acting like the world is ending.

I am amazed by the number of schools that are closed. I can only think that this is down to schools and authorities being scared of being investigated or even sued should a child get injured on the play ground. I do not recall, back in the 70s, ever having a day off school for snow and certainly not on a day where we have an absolute maximum of two inches of the stuff.
    The biggest issue for many schools is the drop off at the start of the day.

In the 70s, many, many more children would have walked to school. Now, very few children walk, especially at primary schools (this is despite attempts by schools to encourage more children to walk).

A lot of the roads around schools struggle to cope with the volume of traffic at the beginning and end of the day. This is exacerbated by people parking inconsiderately and driving impatiently. There are far too many schools where the beginning and end of the day are a bit hairy even in good weather. Add icy roads to the mix, and it's a genuinely dangerous situation.

It's never an easy decision for a head to close a school, but they will be aware that they are potentially putting children at risk if they open a school in snowy or icy weather. Added to this are the considerations that some staff may not be able to make it in, and that there are some parents that simply won't send their children in if there's snow on the ground.

It's also worth noting that, despite all of the above, school closures remain rare.
    I would have guessed @Gillis the biggest issue is determining staffing. Most kids live local but the teachers may well not and I suspect it takes a while to determine who can get in and who don’t. The two primary schools I have dealings with the vast majority seem to walk ( different if the school has certain physical / special needs focus, then people seem to travel further).

I suspect quite a few schools that closed today could / should have been open if they had the staff. Suspect that wasn’t the reason they closed.
    It's the reason that the school I work in has been closed for the last two days. :smile:

I suspect it does depend on the area. I'd imagine that in more densely populated areas, more children walk. All of the schools I've worked in in various towns and villages around Kent have always had a very high proportion of children that come by car (schools have to do surveys about how children travel to school, so we get a good picture). That proportion increases even more if the weather is bad. It's surprising how often children that live quite close to school are brought in by car, and it causes all sorts of headaches for us, from complaints made by local residents to accidents and near misses (and that's when the weather's good).

Primary schools, in particular, usually have a high number of staff that live locally, they just tend not to be the teachers, who often live a bit further away (although obviously it does vary from school to school). The teachers I've worked with (with one or two notable exceptions) have always been determined to make it in to school no matter what, and I'm certain all of the teaching staff where I work would have made it in today if the school hadn't been closed. Staff being able to get in is definitely a factor, though, and it can lead to school closures.

Going back to the OP, the main point I wanted to make was that school closures aren't usually down to worries about children slipping on the playground (if it's dangerous outside, then they have their breaks inside), and school closures are definitely not taken lightly. As for what's changed since the 70s, I think it is partly a greater awareness of/concern about risk (which is a good thing when it comes to keeping children safe - and trust me, they're not mollycoddled in school), but I think the bigger change is that roads around schools are so much busier now.
  • Been light snow all evening in Dartford, a lot of trains are cancelled for tomorrow and I’m not driving so the trains should be a laugh in the morning. My phone app says snow showers in Dartford till gone midnight then it’s going to pick up from 7am till midday.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43230354

According to the BBC no dog was involved in the Danson Park incident
    It was previously believed the man had been pulled out of the lake after rescuing a dog, but London Ambulance Service said no dog was involved in the incident.
  • @Gillis fair enough mate, interesting insight. Guilty of looking through own eyes, I have 5 primary schools within 10 min walk from my house
  • All trains from Faversham to Broadstairs are cancelled tomorrow and I'm not risking the drive to Thanet so that's why myself and another teacher at the school I work at, who also lives in Faversham, aren't going in. Most of the other staff live very close to school so are making it in so yes it does depend.
    Not that I'm going to complain about having to stay home!
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43230354

According to the BBC no dog was involved in the Danson Park incident

It was previously believed the man had been pulled out of the lake after rescuing a dog, but London Ambulance Service said no dog was involved in the incident.
    Either the family have been horribly misinformed by the police or that’s disgustingly lazy reporting from the BBC .
  • Sponsored links:

• Gillis said:

Gillis said:

It’s -3 here and we’ve had maybe a centimetre of snow and people are acting like the world is ending.

I am amazed by the number of schools that are closed. I can only think that this is down to schools and authorities being scared of being investigated or even sued should a child get injured on the play ground. I do not recall, back in the 70s, ever having a day off school for snow and certainly not on a day where we have an absolute maximum of two inches of the stuff.

In the 70s, many, many more children would have walked to school. Now, very few children walk, especially at primary schools (this is despite attempts by schools to encourage more children to walk).

A lot of the roads around schools struggle to cope with the volume of traffic at the beginning and end of the day. This is exacerbated by people parking inconsiderately and driving impatiently. There are far too many schools where the beginning and end of the day are a bit hairy even in good weather. Add icy roads to the mix, and it's a genuinely dangerous situation.

It's never an easy decision for a head to close a school, but they will be aware that they are potentially putting children at risk if they open a school in snowy or icy weather. Added to this are the considerations that some staff may not be able to make it in, and that there are some parents that simply won't send their children in if there's snow on the ground.

It's also worth noting that, despite all of the above, school closures remain rare.
    I would have guessed @Gillis the biggest issue is determining staffing. Most kids live local but the teachers may well not and I suspect it takes a while to determine who can get in and who don’t. The two primary schools I have dealings with the vast majority seem to walk ( different if the school has certain physical / special needs focus, then people seem to travel further).

I suspect quite a few schools that closed today could / should have been open if they had the staff. Suspect that wasn’t the reason they closed.
    It's the reason that the school I work in has been closed for the last two days. :smile:

I suspect it does depend on the area. I'd imagine that in more densely populated areas, more children walk. All of the schools I've worked in in various towns and villages around Kent have always had a very high proportion of children that come by car (schools have to do surveys about how children travel to school, so we get a good picture). That proportion increases even more if the weather is bad. It's surprising how often children that live quite close to school are brought in by car, and it causes all sorts of headaches for us, from complaints made by local residents to accidents and near misses (and that's when the weather's good).

Primary schools, in particular, usually have a high number of staff that live locally, they just tend not to be the teachers, who often live a bit further away (although obviously it does vary from school to school). The teachers I've worked with (with one or two notable exceptions) have always been determined to make it in to school no matter what, and I'm certain all of the teaching staff where I work would have made it in today if the school hadn't been closed. Staff being able to get in is definitely a factor, though, and it can lead to school closures.

Going back to the OP, the main point I wanted to make was that school closures aren't usually down to worries about children slipping on the playground (if it's dangerous outside, then they have their breaks inside), and school closures are definitely not taken lightly. As for what's changed since the 70s, I think it is partly a greater awareness of/concern about risk (which is a good thing when it comes to keeping children safe - and trust me, they're not mollycoddled in school), but I think the bigger change is that roads around schools are so much busier now.
    The state school I work in will only close tomorrow if the boiler breaks down or there are not enough staff able to get in due to London transport grinding to a halt. We've been told to get in, even if it takes till midday to get there!

Even if there are not many staff in, they will likely stay partially open, sending some year groups home, but keeping the exam year groups in.

Only hope now is storm Emma giving us a work at home Friday.
  • Oakster said:

T_C_E said:

Had to laugh this morning walked by a fella digging his car out, clearing his driveway and the footpath, it took well over an hour and and he was just finishing as I returned home to collect a different set of dogs. Telling me he was going to shower before taking his good lady shopping, I returned to see his car gone, exercising the dogs and returning once again past his house to see a snowplough doing the rounds had chucked it back again while he was out. :)

Yes a familiar experience over here in Canada, plus the fact that you get a nice fine if you dont clear the pavement outside your house of snow after a heavy snowfall.
    The bro in law, Calgary yesterday
    Yep - we have had a fair bit of snow! We are set up for it though for the most part - my boy plays football all winter during break time at school - the field is completely covered in snow & they’re only kept in if it falls below -20
  • edited March 2018
    Just started to snow in Welling, very very fine snow.
  • 1 school closed 1 to go
  • Didn’t need in idual written on that
  • Proper cold in The City today. Porridge and coffee starting to thaw me out.
  • shirty5 said:
    I thought at first he was having a bit of a dance there :neutral: but he isn’t :smiley:
  • edited March 2018
    I am sure someone has already said, but the other huge problem is that teachers very often live a long way from the school they work in, and then can't get there. So you can't have students turning up with no staff. The school I taught at in Dartford, most teachers travelled up from the depths of Kent so probably stuck at home. Teachers hate the disruption as well, especially for exam classes.
    Glad to be retired.
  • Sponsored links:

• All flights from Pisa to Gatwick are cancelled so awaiting Easyjet’s complimentary accommodation. I’m sure it will be complimentary in just the one sense of the word.
  • All flights from Pisa to Gatwick are cancelled so awaiting Easyjet’s complimentary accommodation. I’m sure it will be complimentary in just the one sense of the word.

At least you’re not with Ryanair. Their complimentary accommodation would have been in Geneva.
    Have you seen hotel prices in Geneva? Ryanair wouldn't play that. I think you mean it would be in Baghdad.
  • edited March 2018
    Gillis said:

Gillis said:

This 100%, the roads around the schools are still filled with absolute weapon drivers in this weather who have little to no control if their tyres lock going down or up a hill or around a corner leaving kids looking like skittles.

Seen it out my window all day yday.
  • edited March 2018

1 school closed 1 to go

2 schools closed. Working from home just got a whole lot harder !
    Same here. My daughters school’s been closed today. What was due to be a day of WW2 films and History channel will now be Scooby Doo and Spongebob Squarepants.
    If you still want to know about the WW2 films you are missing I think I can help.
    The Japanese and the Nazis were very very bad.
    The Allies won.
    Hitler was a badger man.
  • No, bad German.
  • At current rate of play I'm going to try and attempt the commute from Faversham to Broadstairs to get to the school I work at. First train is 0909 and it is actually running (on its way to Rochester).
    However I've noticed that the train running from broadstairs back to Faversham at 0905 has been cancelled already. Hmm.
  • My eldest goes to college and that has been shut all week, my middle child (who is 14) has had school every day so far and the youngest, who goes to a special school, has his first "day off" today.
  • Headteacher just called as I was leaving home to tell me not to travel in due to the conditions. The school will be closing within an hour anyway due to blizzards and unsafe conditions over there as well.

Happy days.