Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• Options
    Had another inch or two round my way overnight, steady snow forecast for throughout the day and into the night. Luckily for me I’m milking a broken toe and don’t intend to return to work until Sunday, really don’t fancy driving my little Agila on a twenty five mile round trip on a treacherous country B road just to make sure a bunch of wrong uns get to play a couple of games of snooker.
  • Options
    It’s -3 here and we’ve had maybe a centimetre of snow and people are acting like the world is ending.
  • Options

It’s -3 here and we’ve had maybe a centimetre of snow and people are acting like the world is ending.

I am amazed by the number of schools that are closed. I can only think that this is down to schools and authorities being scared of being investigated or even sued should a child get injured on the play ground. I do not recall, back in the 70s, ever having a day off school for snow and certainly not on a day where we have an absolute maximum of two inches of the stuff.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

The advice on BBC News is to walk like a penguin. Considering those hardy little blighters should be used to it and still go tumbling, I think I will pass on that.

And also take into account we'd look like total cnuts whilst doing so
  • Options

pettgra said:

The advice on BBC News is to walk like a penguin. Considering those hardy little blighters should be used to it and still go tumbling, I think I will pass on that.

I think they walk like they fear the next fart will be moist and lumpy.
  • Options

pettgra said:

Bless em. They remind me of closing time at my local.
  • Options
    What’s the M25, the Kent stretch like ? I should be hitting that at about 17:00 ish ?
  • Options

I am amazed by the number of schools that are closed. I can only think that this is down to schools and authorities being scared of being investigated or even sued should a child get injured on the play ground. I do not recall, back in the 70s, ever having a day off school for snow and certainly not on a day where we have an absolute maximum of two inches of the stuff.
    it's literally fucking ridiculous....kids schools in welling shut for no reason at all, everyone could've made it in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    My school was closed for about 6 weeks in Jan / Feb 1963 as no coal to fuel the boilers could get through. This little bit of snow is nothing compared to the three to six foot snow drifts we had to cope with in Plumstead :wink:

Edit; mind you it was one of the worst winters on record :smiley:
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

My school was closed for about 6 weeks in Jan / Feb 1963 as no coal to fuel the boilers could get through. This little bit of snow is nothing compared to the three to six foot snow drifts we had to cope with in Plumstead :wink:

I do enjoy history lessons from the older posters like you @RedChaser

:wink:
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

RedChaser said:

I do enjoy history lessons from the older posters like you @RedChaser

:wink:
    Cough, cough I wish I was as young as you Len :wink:
  • Options

RedChaser said:

Oi I'm not that old, I was just a tiny twinkle in my Dad's eye after the war and he had returned to civvy street.
  • Options
    I’m surprised that The spurs v Rochdale match hasn’t been postponed. I’m sure the pitch is okay but for spectators getting there from up t’north is likely to be a mare.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

I’m surprised that The spurs v Rochdale match hasn’t been postponed. I’m sure the pitch is okay but for spectators getting there from up t’north is likely to be a mare.

Record low attendance for a Wembley match tonight me thinks.
    Nailed on for an upset.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Solidgone said:

Record low attendance for a Wembley match tonight me thinks.
    Nailed on for an upset.
    If the spanners had beaten Rochdale, they would bring 60,000.
  • Options
    I remember the day of our final 11+ test back in '87, @AFKABartram may remember, we had to go into school and the snow was up to our waists...but then again, we wasn't very tall at 11!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I remember the day of our final 11+ test back in '87, @AFKABartram may remember, we had to go into school and the snow was up to our waists...but then again, we wasn't very tall at 11!

Im afraid i don’t remember 2007 let alone 1987 :-(
  • Options
    Medway in to Dartford was a dream this morning - roads are clear and empty.

-10 according to my car and -12 according to my wife's. Not seen it that cold for quite some time over here
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Medway in to Dartford was a dream this morning - roads are clear and empty.

-10 according to my car and -12 according to my wife's. Not seen it that cold for quite some time over here

Women always feel the cold more and looking at that so do their cars.
  • Options
    Robertsbridge this morning
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    JohnBoyUK said:

I was living in Lordswood, Chatham in January 1987 and worked in Chatham town centre. Couldn't get to work for several days as North Dane Way was covered in drifts 12 feet deep. Eventually a snow plough cleared the snow and it was amazing travelling through snow piled 12- 15 feet deep either side of the road.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

I was living in Lordswood, Chatham in January 1987 and worked in Chatham town centre. Couldn't get to work for several days as North Dane Way was covered in drifts 12 feet deep. Eventually a snow plough cleared the snow and it was amazing travelling through snow piled 12- 15 feet deep either side of the road.
    I was 6 years old when we had that snow and distinctly remember me and my brother wading through it in my mum and dad's back garden and falling over and feeling like I was in a deep ravine!

If it makes you nostalgic North Dane way is buggered currently too, no 15 foot drifts stacked up the sides this time