Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

It's snowing ! (Feb 2022 Page 77)

Comments

• Options
    Which schools afka?
  • Options
    My kids is open in eltham. Theyre devastated
  • Options
    Dartford is covered, not a chance I’m driving in this and the trains look like they’re up the swanny
  • Options
    smashed a pair of dms on and marched to barnehurst station, few cars skidding about but thats more to do with the bellends driving them, be cautious and will be fine.
  • Options
    Minimum temperature in Hextable a few minutes ago was -11°C (10°F). Road salt has little effect at this temperature. Be careful out there !
  • Options
    Working from home today.
    No chance my car even gets off the drive.
  • Options
    In lovely Cranbrook, Kent it is currently minus eight!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Good covering in Dartford - trains are running but slow - I have to drive to Longfield this evening - that will be interesting !!
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Mr Tatters is due to make a rare visit to his old Mum on Thursday. She lives in Tayport so he needs to get to Kings Cross then train to Dundee. Im looking forward to a weekend of peace. How likely is this? I can't drive him to London but could get a cab.

Snowing now and not due to stop until Sunday evening. It sounds like a great idea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2650752
    Great idea for Mr Tatters or me?
    Addickted said:

My daughter's school in Hull is closed. She's delighted to get away from a day of stress and grief.

She's an English Teacher.

Wow, they teach English in Hull ?

2 inches here btw in Bromley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Took 40 mins to get to Dartford this morning, from Welling. Main Roads not gritted yet, currently having a garden competition with people emailing in photos of the snow and telling me that they can't get in because of the snow.
  • Options
    Worst snowfall in over 7 years in Belvedere between 5 and 7am this morning.
  • Options
    Snowed a lot in Charlton overnight, we have inches of the stuff here today. With it not getting above freezing today, it will turn very icy. I'm stopping in until it's gone!
  • Options

Sidcup under cover and my son's school (Chis & Sid) is closed for the day. Wouldn't have happened in my day1

I’ve currently got one school closed / one school open with my two boys. One very unhappy boy!
    Oh that must seem SO unfair to the one who has to go in!
  • Options

Took 40 mins to get to Dartford this morning, from Welling. Main Roads not gritted yet, currently having a garden competition with people emailing in photos of the snow and telling me that they can't get in because of the snow.

The gritters have been out at work but the grit we use is not effective below certain temperatures, I am sure I heard it is minus four degrees. (This isn't a joke)
  • Options
    Croydon has snow but roads fine, didn't drive in as stayed in hotel. Tuesdays there isn't much going on in Croydon although still managed to stroll in around 1230, random one but empty. Hopefully today roads are ok so i can get home as dont want to be living in a hotel for the rest of the week even if work are paying.
  • Options
    Another heavy snowfall in Eynsford overnight and phone giving temp as -8C! First time I can remember in 25 year here, that the milkman has not made it!
  • Options
    I came home last night at 10-30 and the temperature was -6. Had great trouble getting the car door open.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

The gritters have been out at work but the grit we use is not effective below certain temperatures, I am sure I heard it is minus four degrees. (This isn't a joke)
    This is true. The salt content of the grit reduces the freezing point of water by a couple of degrees and so can reduce ice on the roads. This will have no impact when temperatures are more than a few degrees below zero.

It will have some impact in improving grip on the roads though.
  • Options
    It will get interesting on Friday when storm Emma hits....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My normal 45 minute journey to work took just over 2.5 hours with 3 trains.

When do the pubs open...
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

Kent will be ok - but Surrey and Hants will get the biggest hit there by the looks.

Evens out the last couple of days!
  • Options
    Glovepup said:

A bottle of Pinot noir inside her in the spoons and it will be a right shit storm on Friday
  • Options
    it’s days like this I wish I was in my old job with a 40minute commute and the option to work from home. Now I live a 2 minute walk away, no chance of being snowed in!
  • Options

cfgs said:

This is true. The salt content of the grit reduces the freezing point of water by a couple of degrees and so can reduce ice on the roads. This will have no impact when temperatures are more than a few degrees below zero.

It will have some impact in improving grip on the roads though.
    It was -6C in Welling, when I left and -8C in Dartford.
  • Options

Glovepup said:

Kent will be ok - but Surrey and Hants will get the biggest hit there by the looks.

Evens out the last couple of days!
    I wouldn't start predicting stuff like that- look where it got me !
    Fair point - I now await a storm coming up from the south west skirting round the Isle of Wight and dumping 2 feet on the Garden of England!
  • Options
    When is Storm Emma due to hit ? I’m due to fly from Italy to Gatwick, landing Thursday about 1830. I’ve read differing reports that it’s due on Thursday or Friday.
  • Options
    Friday is predicted to be the worst weather yet.