Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has anyone seen Charlton score 6 (six) goals or more in 90 minutes of a competitive match.....

Comments

• Richard J said:
    just had a look sept 1976 soton at home in 2nd division friday night game 6-2 we won , my first ever game was jan 1977
    That was the Southampton game after they won the FA Cup.
    Was at that match.   Think it was a evening game 
  • kentred2 said:
    Swansea and Notts County too but I also seemed to remember 6-0 at home to Bristol City. Just looked it up and it appears it was in 1969-70. I would have been 14. I went to the return at Ashton Gate and, predictably, we lost. 
    Think it was Bristol City that got the 6
    Gawd, you are right. Memory playing huge tricks. 
  • Seem to remember beating Liverpool 6-3 in the soccer sixes around 1989
  • And I think Leaburn scored as well
  • As mentioned on the post match thread, albeit giving Swansea 2 goals they did not get, I saw the 6-0 defeat of the Swans. This was before i became a Charlton fan, just accompanying my future brother in laws brothers.
  • kentred2 said:
    Found it! 

Last time we scored 6 goals in a home league game #cafc

1/4/2023 : Shrewsbury 
    24/9/1976 : Southampton
    19/9/1972: Notts County 
    29/8/1972: Swansea Town
    21/1/1961: Swansea Town 
    26/12/1960: Plymouth Argyle 
    22/10/1960: Middlesbrough

Courtesy of cafc facts and stats on Twitter. 
    We beat Plymouth 6-3 at The Valley in 1963 too. Think it was March but could be wrong as it was 60 years ago.
  • kentred2 said:
    So is there a list anywhere of post war sixes!?
    Remember 6 v Southampton. 
    76 or 77?
  • Richard J said:
    just had a look sept 1976 soton at home in 2nd division friday night game 6-2 we won , my first ever game was jan 1977
    That was the Southampton game after they won the FA Cup.
    Was at that match.   Think it was a evening game 
    Friday night I think?
  • First time today.  Both my friend Marc and I at half time were having this discussion we both couldn't work out if we had or not. I was certain I wasn't. my biggest home and away when beat Ipswich away 5-0 (the leaburn hatrick) and seeing us score 5 past Peterborough away.  So when we found out after the game that the last time it happened was 1976, that confirmed it. We would have been about 9 years old at the time and myself living in Australia at the time).  I normally turn my back on penalties as I find them tense and superstitious. Today I was happy sitting there watching it. Nothing against Bonne, but when it fell to Bonne for his goal, for a split second I thought it was Leaburn to round of another Leaburn hat trick. 
  • kentred2 said:
    Found it! 

Amazing how bunched they've been. 3 within less than 3 months in 60/61, then 2 within a month in 72/73. On that basis, we'll do the same in the next month!
  • Sponsored links:

• So what’s our biggest league wins ?

12.9,1953 ……Charlton 8 Middlesbrough 1 
    1.4.2023 ……Charlton 6 Shrewsbury 0
    29.8.1972 …… Charlton 6 Swansea 0
    13.4.2012 …….Barnsley 0 Charlton 6

so our biggest league winning margin is 7 goals v Middlesbrough
    and then these were by 6 goals off what’s on here and my mushy head 
    does anyone know any other 6 or 7 goal winning margin league victories ?
    and who has seen what out of the above 4 or more if there are any 

just yesterday’s witnessed by me (wasted on a dead rubber for us 🙄 )

• LenGlover said:
    kentred2 said:
    Found it! 

We beat Plymouth 6-3 at The Valley in 1963 too. Think it was March but could be wrong as it was 60 years ago.
    Absolutely correct. I remember that. Just checked and Plymouth beat us 6-1 earlier in the season.

Plymouth away under Adkins, another 6-0.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56727889

Definitely not wasted, we’re building next next season’s promotion team and finishing strongly this season is where it starts 
  • I was at the 76 Southampton game.

Used to love a Friday night game at the Valley as a kid, always seemed a cracking atmosphere. Left loads of time to play/watch more football and muck about with my mates for the rest of the weekend.

These days I spend my weekends cleaning my gutters out...
  • Just worked out that I'd seen Charlton score five goals on fourteeen previous occasions, without ever going on to scoring a sixth goal. I thought it would never happen....especially when JRS's header was ruled out for offisde at 5-0. 
  • Seen us concede 7 twice sure there's a few on here who were at those games v Burnley & Brighton, funny thing I remember those (mainly as they were away) but can't recall Swansea or Southampton though I was probably at both of those (hardly missed a home game back then).
  • I was at the 76 Southampton game.

Used to love a Friday night game at the Valley as a kid, always seemed a cracking atmosphere. Left loads of time to play/watch more football and muck about with my mates for the rest of the weekend.

These days I spend my weekends cleaning my gutters out...
    Totally agree. Great atmosphere under the lights in those days. And the crowd was only 9000 - officially anyway. Would have put money in it being double that !

• Seen us concede 7 twice sure there's a few on here who were at those games v Burnley & Brighton, funny thing I remember those (mainly as they were away) but can't recall Swansea or Southampton though I was probably at both of those (hardly missed a home game back then).
    Saw the 7-1 defeat at Luton! 
  • I remember Tuesday night games under floodlights Aug 29 1972 V Swansea 6-0 
    then another Tuesday night 19th September 1972 V Notts County 6-1 great days of Powell Horsfield Flanagan Peacock a bit before Killer joined us 
    Saw both of those also. Peter Reeves scored his second goal for Charlton in the Swansea match in 250 games. He scored on his debut and in the Swansea match his only two goals in his career. One of our best One of our Own.
  • Sponsored links:

We beat Man Utd 7-1 in 1938 and Liverpool 6-0 in the 50's.....might not replicate those scores nowadays, although Liverpool looked a bit shaky v City yesterday.

• 12.9,1953 ……Charlton 8 Middlesbrough 1 (top tier)

11.2.1939…… Charlton 7 Man Utd 1  (top tier)

26.9.1953 ……..Charlton 6 Liverpool 0  (top tier)
    29.8.1972 ……..Charlton 6 Swansea 0  (third tier)
    13.4.2012 ……..Barnsley 0 Charlton 6  (second tier)
    20.4 2021 ………Plymouth 0 Charlton 6  (third tier)
    1.4.2023 ……..Charlton 6 Shrewsbury 0  (third tier) 

• Technically I've seen Charlton score 6 at home in a competitive match before, and as recently as 2021 in the pizza cup against Crawley. Didn't seem 'competitive'. And that remains the only time I've seen it as missed yesterday. Hopefully it'll not be the only time. 
  • edited April 2023
    many years back, Mike Flanagan scored 4 in a 6-1 win v Notts County .. I was there
  • I first started going to the Valley in 1971 but not regularly until 1973 so missed the 1972 win over Swansea. 
    It seems as if we have scored 6 in the league 5 times since 1972.  I was at the 6-2 win over Southampton, the 0-6 win at Barnsley and was there yesterday but was not at Plymouth for the win under Adkins in 2021. 
    Have any of our more senior supporters seen all 5 of the occasions we have scored 6 in the last 51 years?
  • Yes twice .. both on Tuesday nights 

also seen us concede 6 or more a few times 
  • I vaguely remember us scoring 6 against Southampton & guessed it was in the 60’s
  • just had a look sept 1976 soton at home in 2nd division friday night game 6-2 we won , my first ever game was jan 1977
    Yep, we beat Swansea 6-0 at home on 29th August 1972 & followed it up three weeks later by beating Notts County 6-1 at the Valley on 19th September 1972. I saw these 3 games.

• edited April 2023
    Was at the Southampton 6 2, Notts County 6 1 (Flash got 4) Luton Home 1 5, Luton Away 1 7
    Spurs Home 4 1 (Flash hatrick)
    The 1-7 away at Burnley, I think that was when Alan Simonson didn't get on the team bus because we hadn't paid his wages!