Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has anyone seen Charlton score 6 (six) goals or more in 90 minutes of a competitive match.....

when Rob Hulse scored our 5th the other night in the 65th minute, (so with 35 mins of football to go ;-) i thought will i see Charlton score 6 (six) goals for the first time , i've seen a squillion matches and never seen the magic 6 (six) , we just haven't got it in us , we haven't got the pzazz or personality or charisma to notch up 6 (six) or more ... why not ???

some of you old uns must have had the pleasure

Comments

• Only once.
    Southampton at the Valley in a Cup match in the 1980's I think.
  • Been going 20 years and never seen us score 6. Infact, I don't think we have scored 6 in that time.
  • edited November 2012
    just had a look sept 1976 soton at home in 2nd division friday night game 6-2 we won , my first ever game was jan 1977
  • No... everytime we came forward at 5-2 on Tuesday I was winding my old man up about getting 6. He was nearly having a coronary. Seen a fair few 5's but no 6's, think he said he'd seen one, don't think it was the 7-6 though he would've been away with the army at the time I think.
  • edited November 2012
    Yes Charlton v Swansea Town as I think they were called then 6-1 I believe, We had Peter Reeves playing for us, the ref was a Mr Reeves and a Linesman was a Mr Reeves. 70's.

I've been waiting for that magical 6 ever since
  • edited November 2012
    Yes twice in the same season 7-4 v Pompey 1960/61 when they came to the Valley unbeaten with Ray Hiron? (lanky centre forward) and Dickinson? in their side and Midlesborough 6-6 think Johnny Summers got a hat trick. Correction it was Dennis Edwards
  • 1960/1961 Sat 21 Jan Charlton Ath 6 - 2 Swansea Tn Second Division
  • 3 times against pompey 7-4 1960/61
    6-1 1959/60 and 1955/56
  • edited November 2012
    Kap10 said:

Yes Charlton v Swansea Town as I think they were called then 6-1 I believe, We had Peter Reeves playing for us, the ref was a Mr Reeves and a Linesman was a Mr Reeves. 70's.

I've been waiting for that magical 6 ever since

Yep, we beat Swansea 6-0 at home on 29th August 1972 & followed it up three weeks later by beating Notts County 6-1 at the Valley on 19th September 1972. I saw both those games. Those were the days. Ha ha.

I remember a very young Mike Flanagan scored 4 in the Notts County game but my memory of the Swansea game is a little more hazy.
  • 3 times v middlesboro
    6-6 1960/61
    6-2 1957/58
    and 8-1 1953/54
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't we hit 6 at Grimsby on a friday night in 99/00 ?
  • we beat Brentford 6-3 in the 1930's
  • 2-5 we won at grimsby
  • just had a look sept 1976 soton at home in 2nd division friday night game 6-2 we won , my first ever game was jan 1977

That was the Southampton game after they won the FA Cup.

• Was at the Southampton 6-2 match! 4-1 at half time if I remember rightly!
  • Deadred said:

Yes twice in the same season 7-4 v Pompey 1960/61 when they came to the Valley unbeaten with Ray Hiron (lanky centre forward) and Dickenson? in their side and Midlesborough 6-6 think Johnny Summers got a hat trick.

Didn`t a certain Mr Brian Clough play for Boro that night at score a hat-trick for them? I used to have a newspaper report of the Boro match and it said after Charlton equalised late on there was a pitch invasion when loads of youngsters ran on to celebrate.

• Apoel Nicosia...9-0 I think?? Friendly though. These days they are in the Champions League.
  • this actually really annoyed me the other night. Half an hour to go and we only needed one goal, I was sure we were going to get it too. Only seen six once, the Saints game in 1976. We had the chance the other night to hit six or even seven but didn't take it. These chances don't come along too often and need to take the opportunity when you can. I hope the team remember this when we are 5-0 at The New Den with 30 minutes to go ;-)
  • Yes. The Friday night game vs Southampton in 76. Amazed that its nearly 40 years since we hit 6 in a game
  • edited November 2012
    E-cafc said:

Deadred said:

Yes twice in the same season 7-4 v Pompey 1960/61 when they came to the Valley unbeaten with Ray Hiron (lanky centre forward) and Dickenson? in their side and Midlesborough 6-6 think Johnny Summers got a hat trick.

correction it was Dennis Edwards.

Didn`t a certain Mr Brian Clough play for Boro that night at score a hat-trick for them? I used to have a newspaper report of the Boro match and it said after Charlton equalised late on there was a pitch invasion when loads of youngsters ran on to celebrate.

Memory is not what it was E-cafc I think Clough played that day and may well have done but on reflection Hiron didn't play for Pompey until later in fact it may have been Ron Saunders up front that 7-4 day who eventually played for us and managed Aston Villa.
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:

Apoel Nicosia...9-0 I think?? Friendly though. These days they are in the Champions League.

Ah yes, 9-0 v Apoel Nicosia - I think Rodney Green scored a hat trick.

Also, who can forget 6-6 v Snowdown Colliery in the Metropolitan League at The Valley

We also beat Plymouth Argyle 6-4 at home and the lost 6-4 at Plymouth over the Xmas period (or was it vice versa?)

• 3 times
    Notts county Swansea Saints
  • That 6-2 v Saints was great, made more glamorous by the fact they were the current FA Cup holders. I'd just started at a school where little twats liked to think they supported Liverpool etc because they had a holdall with the badge on, and that result really gave me a chance to say "THAT's who Charlton are!".

Channon & McMenemy were gracious enough straight after such a thumping to turn up at a Supporters' Club event too. Alas I too am still waiting for the elusive 6 again, and certainly didn't expect it at 7.45 on Tuesday.
  • 6 - 3 at home to Plymouth in March '63. Poured with rain, as I recall.
  • we beat Brentford 6-3 in the 1930's

Brunello , were you at this one ?

• I thought 'everyone' was at the Huddersfield 7-6 game?
  • Yes. The Friday night game vs Southampton in 76. Amazed that its nearly 40 years since we hit 6 in a game

I was there. Bowman out jumping Channon.
  • edited November 2012

I was at those games too. What a night that was when Flanagan scored four!
  • I thought 'everyone' was at the Huddersfield 7-6 game?

I was there, first game I ever went to.

• Play off final...11 including pens.