Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Has anyone seen Charlton score 6 (six) goals or more in 90 minutes of a competitive match.....

Comments

• Yes. The Friday night game vs Southampton in 76. Amazed that its nearly 40 years since we hit 6 in a game

I was there. Bowman out jumping Channon.
    A few years back found the Saturday morning after Daily Mirror with it all over the back page. Don't know where it is now. Great game, just loved those night games.
  • Only once.
    Southampton at the Valley in a Cup match in the 1980's I think.

Well played Valiant, was racking the brain trying to remember that one, we must be old timers!
  • 3 times
    Notts county Swansea Saints

Same as me...

• Plymouth 6-3 and Southampton 6-2.

I must have been playing rugby or cricket for the 1972 matches mentioned as I wasn't at either.
  • Was at the Southampton game in 76.

Remember my Dad taking me and my brother and you could walk round the terraces as the game went on. Probably saw each goal for a different part of the ground.

It's been a long wait since and every time we get 5 I always believe I will someday see the magic 6 again. Please....

I wonder if any league team has gone that long without scoring 6 ?
  • I'm glad someone else started this thread as its getting to be a bit of an obession of mine!!

I've been supporting CAFC for over 35 years and have never seen us score more than 5 goals over a normal 90 min match. I missed the Saints game in 76 as I was only 9 and it was an evening game but ever since I've been hoping to see us thump someone - even when in the Premiership playing lower league clubs in the cups we couldn't get past 3 (most times we struggled to even win !!) - other teams seem to do it for fun and often someone happens to score 6 or 7 - but not us.

But last year when we were 5-0 up against preston at home I thought we were finally going to do it - but no, we sat back & actually let in 2..............excatley what we did on tues night.

must be something in the water
  • the notts county game and the swansea game were ( ithink) two home games in a row?

Flanagan scored 4 against NCounty
  • Love the vidiprinter usage of 6 (six) by the way.
  • the notts county game and the swansea game were ( ithink) two home games in a row?

That's right, GH..... in that Notts C match, Flash scored 4.

They were top or 2nd in the League at the time and if I remember, they totally dominated the game - yet every time we counter attacked we scored. Let's just say the scoreline flattered us, and they must have gone home thinking there was no justice.

The Swansea game a couple of weeks earlier was a crushing victory over a struggling side.
    Both games were Tuesday night matches under lights.

The 6-2 win against Southampton took us temporarily to 2nd position in the table.
    Southampton were a fairly decent side, having won the FA Cup a few months before - yet we had a spell where every chance went in.

Used to love night matches in those days!

• I seem to remember one Christmas we beat Plymouth 6-4 and then went down there and lost 6-4 - typical Charlton
  • Sponsored links:

• Didnt we go years without lossing a night home match in those days ? they put in down to the players couldnt see the empty terraces
  • masicat said:

Apoel Nicosia...9-0 I think?? Friendly though. These days they are in the Champions League.

A few days later they played at Highbury & drew 0-0 with the arse

Spot on! Swansea on the Saturday and Notts County on the Tuesday night. Against County we only had 7 shots on target and had very little possesion. Remember walking home stunned thinking HTF did we win that one!

• yes l was there on 21st dec 1957 standing in the small enclosure when we beat hudderfield 7-6. we were 5-1 down with 25minutes to go (with only 10men) when we staged an amazeing comeback with the late johny summers scoreing five.if my memory is correct the goals were sored towards the south terrace (now the j seed stand.my grandfather who was on the east terrace left when we where 5-1 down and my uncle went home thinkingh the score was 6-6. I.believe that huddersfield are the only football team to score 6 goals away and still lost
  • 37 years, over 1000 games and never seen us score six. I wasn't allowed to go to evening games when we beat Southampton 6-2. I've seen us concede six (at home v Leeds) and 7 (away at Brighton)
  • just had a look sept 1976 soton at home in 2nd division friday night game 6-2 we won , my first ever game was jan 1977

Yep, we beat Swansea 6-0 at home on 29th August 1972 & followed it up three weeks later by beating Notts County 6-1 at the Valley on 19th September 1972.

I saw these 3 games.
  • Maybe baby - both those matches were Tuesday nights.

A true story - at that Swansea game my Dad was talking to someone on the East Terrace about the low crowd (we had been relegated the season before). My Dad said he could not see the crowds coming back unless we scored six every home game! Paul Davis (Son of Ron Davis) made his debut and scored.

Missed the Notts County game, but recall a guy in my sisters year at school writing Flanagan's goal times on his silk scarf.

Was at the Saints and Brighton games as well as the 5-5 at Bristol Rovers - remarkably the last goal came on 65 minutes.
  • was at the 5 v 5 at BRovers i think Martin Robinson hit the bar with the last kick ofthe game---end to end a cracker of a game.
  • was at the 5 v 5 at BRovers i think Martin Robinson hit the bar with the last kick ofthe game---end to end a cracker of a game.

Didn't we beat Chestefield 5-4 away around the same time?
  • charlton won 5-4 @chesterfield in the league cup oct 1978 rovers game was a month later
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2012

Maybe baby - both those matches were Tuesday nights.

A true story - at that Swansea game my Dad was talking to someone on the East Terrace about the low crowd (we had been relegated the season before). My Dad said he could not see the crowds coming back unless we scored six every home game! Paul Davis (Son of Ron Davis) made his debut and scored.

Missed the Notts County game, but recall a guy in my sisters year at school writing Flanagan's goal times on his silk scarf.

Was at the Saints and Brighton games as well as the 5-5 at Bristol Rovers - remarkably the last goal came on 65 minutes.

Paul Davies was younger brother of multi goal scoring Ron Davies; we hoped Paul would the same, alas.....
    How about this for two consecutive games in Sept 1959. Charlton 6 Derby 1, ( I saw that one, my second season, and the a few days later Plymouth 6 Charlton 4. This score line late repeated twice as described above

• I was at the 7-6 Huddersfield game.
  • Seen us score 6 three times in 70s. But never on a Saturday and never away. Peterborough away recently was probably the closest. Or 5-5 at Eastville - which I thought was like a pub game, the pitch and defences were so bad.
  • I was born in 1968. Still made it to the 7-6 Huddersfield game tho ;o)

Is the notts county game the one where Kim Grant got roundly booed and Leaburn pushed the ref into the goal whilst scoring? 6-2 to us? I was at that game. Mid 90's I think.
  • Was at the 6-2 Southampton game.
  • I was born in 1968. Still made it to the 7-6 Huddersfield game tho ;o)

Is the notts county game the one where Kim Grant got roundly booed and Leaburn pushed the ref into the goal whilst scoring? 6-2 to us? I was at that game. Mid 90's I think.

that one was 5-1 nov 93
  • Was at the Southampton 6-2 and the 5-5 Brizzle Rovers.
  • My dad has ... 7-6 game ...
  • Kap10 said:

Yes Charlton v Swansea Town as I think they were called then 6-1 I believe, We had Peter Reeves playing for us, the ref was a Mr Reeves and a Linesman was a Mr Reeves. 70's.

I've been waiting for that magical 6 ever since

Yep, we beat Swansea 6-0 at home on 29th August 1972 & followed it up three weeks later by beating Notts County 6-1 at the Valley on 19th September 1972. I saw both those games. Those were the days. Ha ha.

I remember a very young Mike Flanagan scored 4 in the Notts County game but my memory of the Swansea game is a little more hazy.
    Was at both those games.
    Flanagan was still ostensibly a "winger", skilful but nondescript, when he scored those 4 goals against County.
    He didn't convert to an out and out striker until after Hales departure to Derby.
    The switch totally transformed him - he grew in confidence and stature and went up a level
    By the time he next scored 4 in a game, against Spurs - he was a striker of real presence and quality

All logic suggests I must have been at the Saints game as well, but I can't recall a single thing about it :-(
  • Swansea, Notts County, And Southampton for me in proper fixtures, seen us score six in a few friendlies.