Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry with the Solly Situation

Comments

• Options
    It will be spun (if it happens) in terms of 'fabulous opportunity', 'can't stand in the way of the lad', 'fringe of Olympic squad so...', 'offer we couldn't refuse' and so on. Hardly likely to spun in terms of 'we have run out of money and selling our players is the only game in town'.
    However the stark reality, as it always has been, is that we have no money left, and bills need to be paid. We then stagger on to the end of August to get some TV money in, and we stagger on from financial issue to financial issue. Most Championship clubs are set to lose an average of £6million per year, why should we be any different?
    We have no sugar daddy/mummy, we only have players as assets, and we need to sell off the family silver in order to keep the Country Estate.
    While the present regime is in place I fully expect to see more of the same. We have taken the two steps forward (promotion), and now we have to take the one step back (Solly).
    I pray to goodness that any backward steps we take don't lead to relegation again. However those who were hoping for big signings as a launchpad for more progress are going to be bitterly disappointed I fear.
  • Options
    No one was sure of what Solly should be worth, but since Lowton of sheff u went to villa for 3 million and Solly being a better player in the same age group, that is how at least a 3 million price tag has been put on his head by our fans
  • Options
    The problem is, do we take the £1.5m we apparently need to help the club, when he is worth more, or hold out for his true value, entertain no offers, and therefore have no money to spend/help the club?
  • Options
    Solly's current value in cash terms is ........whatever a club is prepared to offer.
    No more, no less.

I'd like to think his true value is playing a key part in another successful season as a Charlton player.

But if the Board urgently need cash, then they will sell.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Solly's current value in cash terms is ........whatever a club is prepared to offer.
    No more, no less.

I'd like to think his true value is playing a key part in another successful season as a Charlton player.

Not sure I agree with that, surely a player is worth what the selling club deem him to be. If a club came in and bid £100k for him would you say that's what he's worth?
  • Options
    I would remind people that Jenkinson has youth caps (for England and Finland) while Solly has none (Cousins also has youth caps). He's also taller as well, and these days teams do tend to favour taller defenders, so other teams may not rate Solly as much as we do.

I don't know if we have to sell Solly, but it won't be the first time or the last. But then did Ipswich want to sell Darren Bent to us (he came up through their youth system), Colchester sell Kinsella, Grimsby sell Mendonca etc
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hi Talal, I mean as fans we could value a player at £5million, but if we needed the cash urgently .....we'd be forced to sell that player for whatever we could get for him.

And if other clubs get a whiff that we are in desperate trouble financially, then they'll offer the lowest transfer fee that they feel we could possibly accept.

Market forces and all that.

However, if we're not desperate to sell, but another club are wanting one of our players, then we can name our price.

And if price agreement is not reached, then that player stays at our club.

• Options
    It will be spun (if it happens) in terms of 'fabulous opportunity', 'can't stand in the way of the lad', 'fringe of Olympic squad so...', 'offer we couldn't refuse' and so on. Hardly likely to spun in terms of 'we have run out of money and selling our players is the only game in town'.
    However the stark reality, as it always has been, is that we have no money left, and bills need to be paid. We then stagger on to the end of August to get some TV money in, and we stagger on from financial issue to financial issue. Most Championship clubs are set to lose an average of £6million per year, why should we be any different?
    We have no sugar daddy/mummy, we only have players as assets, and we need to sell off the family silver in order to keep the Country Estate.
    While the present regime is in place I fully expect to see more of the same. We have taken the two steps forward (promotion), and now we have to take the one step back (Solly).
    I pray to goodness that any backward steps we take don't lead to relegation again. However those who were hoping for big signings as a launchpad for more progress are going to be bitterly disappointed I fear.
    Good summary of the way it is, Seth.

Time for reality check methinks.
  • Options
    If that right back from sheffield united went for around 3-4 million , chris solly is worth double that. FACT
  • Options
    If other clubs read this forum they might get a whiff :P

Would like to think that given we've turned down offers (however tiny) for Clarke that we're not totally desperate yet. Looking on the bright side at least we've brought Wilson in already, would be a worrying situation if Solly had to go and we still had no cover.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    might as well change the forum name from charlton life to "sowing circle for charlton fans". I'd be willing to place a hefty bet solly will be here at the end of the transfer window.
  • Options
    Talal said:

Oggy Red said:

No more, no less.

Not sure I agree with that, surely a player is worth what the selling club deem him to be. If a club came in and bid £100k for him would you say that's what he's worth?

Actually his value is worth what another team are prepared to pay and we are prepared to accept.

• Options

might as well change the forum name from charlton life to "sowing circle for charlton fans". I'd be willing to place a hefty bet solly will be here at the end of the transfer window.

Rather than a bet why not make a hefty donation to the Charlton Upbeats team if you are wrong?

Up to you but if you are so sure name your price.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I would put £50 into the upbeats if Solly is still here worth every penny of that if we keep him
  • Options
    Sounds reasonable

£50 to the Upbeats from whoever if proved correct. NLA pays if he stays, Kentaddick pays if he doesn't.

Kentaddick, are you willing to take the bet?
  • Options
    Well whoever is correct the sale of Solly will tell us much about about our finances. Undisclosed fee no doubt but will it be reinvested into players or not ?
  • Options

Sounds reasonable

£50 to the Upbeats from whoever if proved correct. NLA pays if he stays, Kentaddick pays if he doesn't.

What happens if he goes out on loan Ben?
  • Options
    Need to get that bet nailed down fast please guys.
  • Options
    And I will be thrilled to pay 100 % as I want him to was a great moment seeing him start and finish the season last season and to be proved right that he is quality and should've played over Francis the season before
  • Options

Sounds reasonable

What happens if he goes out on loan Ben?
    Then he's not here at the end of the transfer window so KA pays.

That's if he agrees to the wager.
    Saga Lout said:

Need to get that bet nailed down fast please guys.

NLA has agreed his side. Just up to KA and anyone else who want to join in to say yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton have always been a selling club. While the Academy is churning out quality players, there shouldn't be a financial problem, unless there is gross mis-management. That's the way it is for a club of this size, unless an oil baron appears out of the blue. The trick is to produce a group of 4 or 5 quality young players in a short timeframe and only sell one.
  • Options
    I'll go £50 if KA wants to match it?
  • Options
    It's not as if we're selling every year either. Lee, Bowyer, Parker, Jenkinson, and Shelvey are only the main ones that have gone on to notable clubs. Add Solly to this and that's only 6 in 20 odd years. Not bad going for us tbh.
  • Options
    Solly was a real surprise for me last year. Tenacious, full of energy and comfortable on the ball, but the surprise came from the fact that he was so diminutive for a defender by today's standards. He proved my doubts wrong, but in league 1. He now needs to do the same in a division higher, as do so many of the rest of our squad. I'm not being negative, simply much to prove and improve for so many of last season's heroes.

Which brings me to the point that if a healthy 7 figure sum is on the table for him now to either a) secure another season's football without fear of administration or b) will realise funds to bolster the squad in two or three 'spine of the team' areas, I'd take it and keep a watchful eye on Chris' career for as long as it lasts, as I have with so many departed home grown talents of past - with pride that he once played for us.
  • Options
    Solly may go but that's OK as long as he's the only one AND we get decent money AND some of the proceeds are used to strenghthen the squad...through fees or bigger wage bill... you can research Championship club finances from a year or two back but until we see accounts for last year, how we do this season on the pitch and at the bank and whether more backing is found then we are all guessing...
    But I am very clear that the language I have heard from Mr Slater and Chris Powell earlier in 2012 is that our new owners are committed to having a crack at the play-offs over the next 24 months... and then perhaps selling on ...

What I'm saying is our biggest worry should be where the club is in 2/3 years, i.e., not now, in terms of owners, finances... I think plenty of clubs will trip up before we do, especially clubs relegated from the Prem who can't return within two years... and perhaps clubs who overreach just like we did a while back under Dowie and Pardew
  • Options

I would remind people that Jenkinson has youth caps (for England and Finland) while Solly has none (Cousins also has youth caps). He's also taller as well, and these days teams do tend to favour taller defenders, so other teams may not rate Solly as much as we do.

I don't know if we have to sell Solly, but it won't be the first time or the last. But then did Ipswich want to sell Darren Bent to us (he came up through their youth system), Colchester sell Kinsella, Grimsby sell Mendonca etc

Solly does have England youth caps.

http://cafc.digital-ink.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31353&newstype=y

He's played a full season in League 1, where he played regulary in a team that won the league title. He also won player and young player of the year.

We got around £1m for Jenkinson who had played about 8 league games in a very average side. Jenkinson was also out of contract, Solly has another 2 years on his.
  • Options
    Solly is quality. The only question mark I have about his ability to play at the very highest level, is pace. Having said that Mark Reid wasn't quick and he was a superb full back
  • Options
    £50 is pretty steep for me, but I'll agree. How do I pay? Not able to go to games until uni starts in october. Paypal? But, I won't have to pay anyway ;)
  • Options
    Mate if it's too steep I will go with what you want not a problem

Like I say I hope to lose
  • Options
    If we're skint then were skint and if the money is needed to pay the pieman then so be it. Will be gutted but grateful that our academy was able to save the day.