Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry with the Solly Situation

Comments

• Options

I don't see us having splashed 400k on Wilson to be a Solly back-up/occasional RM player. CP must have said that if Solly goes I need to have a RB in the building first. I'm afraid that on balance I can see Chris going.

or we're in a better financial position than people are thinking right now.
    I still don't believe that we've shelled out 400k. More likely that we've got him on the never, never like we did with Benson, say 4k a week for 2 years.
  • Options
    they want Solly, we want Baldock. Bristol City have alledgedly agredd a fee of 1.5m for Baldock. If we want him badly then we need to move quickly. If we havn't got the money then something needs to give. That'll be Solly.
  • Options
    WSS said:

WSS said:

so if powell wants to keep him but he goes, what then will happen to Powell?

Exactly my thoughts.

he will accept that books have to be balanced and crack on with the job just like 99% of all other managers have to.
    I think you underestimate SCP's ambition as a person and as a manager.

He may (and does) love the club, of that there is no doubt, but I can't see him gladly accepting goalposts moving, or restrictive situations like Dario Gradi has done for 100s of years at Crewe for example!

In reality SCP took over a struggling third division team as his first managerial post. I very much doubt that he is unaware of the cold hard realities of football finance and expects to have his way over every sale and purchase. There are only a few managers worldwide that can afford that luxury.

• Options
    I don't think he'll go personally. Think it would have been done by now if it were to happen.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    WSS said:

WSS said:

Exactly my thoughts.

he will accept that books have to be balanced and crack on with the job just like 99% of all other managers have to.

He may (and does) love the club, of that there is no doubt, but I can't see him gladly accepting goalposts moving, or restrictive situations like Dario Gradi has done for 100s of years at Crewe for example!

Exactly.

CP will want to get this club to the top but if the situation keeps changing and he cant do his job properly, it worries me that his head may get turned by somewhere else.

Hes going to be a sought after man and he is very well connected in football from his PFA days. We have to be really careful.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Agree, Shooters.

It's not what SCP would want, but in the real world he'll just get on with it.
    And put it down to experience.
  • Options
    Would be very sad to see him go (if he does - remember it's not on the OS yet) and especially to a team like West Ham as has been rumoured. How long before Chris will become another product of the fantastic West Ham Academy?

But what happens after to the money (I'll give odds on the fee being "undisclosed") is what will be of most interest.

If the money is re-invested in the squad as was the Danny Mills money in 1999 then fine. If it disappears into the Club coffers without any explanation from Mr Jimenez or Mr Slater then that would be quite different.

But let's see if he does leave first.
  • Options
    Anyone read NYA's piece a few months back. Said Powell wasn't the owners preferred choice and they were willing to wait for the right man.
    Just sayin like.
  • Options
    Soon as we signed Wilson for the reported 400k I knew we didn't have the finances to pay that sort of fee on a "back up" right back, especially with Jordan Cousins playing the Sporting pre-season game and being so highly rated. I think Powell has always known Solly will be sold and so got Wilson in ASAP to give him more time to gel with the squad. By not selling Solly straight away it has given him time to Identify the correct target after assessing the squad throughout pre-season.
    Clarke, Hayes, Hughes, Solly, Sullivan OUT
    Baldock, Kerkar, 1 CB IN
    Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Soon as we signed Wilson for the reported 400k I knew we didn't have the finances to pay that sort of fee on a "back up" right back, especially with Jordan Cousins playing the Sporting pre-season game and being so highly rated. I think Powell has always known Solly will be sold and so got Wilson in ASAP to give him more time to gel with the squad. By not selling Solly straight away it has given him time to Identify the correct target after assessing the squad throughout pre-season.
    Baldock, Kerkar, 1 CB IN
    Just my thoughts.

But then why would he have bothered playing Solly in any of the pre-season matches so far?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gut feeling is he will be a West Ham player within 48hrs. Cash fee and Baldock on loan.
  • Options

Anyone read NYA's piece a few months back. Said Powell wasn't the owners preferred choice and they were willing to wait for the right man.
    Just sayin like.

I was thinking something similar myself. Perhaps SCP being an instant success has caused the owners more of a headache than we think. Strange but true ?

• Options
    When we came down from the Prem under Curbs didnt we sell Miles to Leeds which helped fund a push to the Prem. Dont wanna see Solly go but if thats the same then so be it.

2/3 million in cash all in for transfers or Baldock and 1 million.

If this is a "must sell" and little money is given to CP ---well that would be a huge worry.

If he goes go quick and lets get the team setled not two days before kick off.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

heavenSE7 said:

Baldock, Kerkar, 1 CB IN
    Just my thoughts.

But then why would he have bothered playing Solly in any of the pre-season matches so far?

Keeping his fitness levels up, adding more value to him. The same reason Marcus Bent played all pre-season games in our return to the CCC and the first 4 league games, only to be sold on. Same happenend with Elliot last season.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

heavenSE7 said:

Baldock, Kerkar, 1 CB IN
    Just my thoughts.

Because no deal has been finalised. I don't think Powell could leave him out incase he did start the season with us so still needs to be fit, on the other hand he doesn't want him injured so uses him sparingly.
  • Options
    WSS said:

WSS said:

Exactly my thoughts.

well in that case he'd be getting a bit ahead of himself
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Baldock, Kerkar, 1 CB IN
    Just my thoughts.

Plausible but then we have had SCP quoted as saying Solly wasn't leaving or did I dream that.

• Options
    Solly for £1 million and a player, who by all accounts doesn't want to be here, ON LOAN?
    I will be furious if that's all we get.
  • Options
    Solly is a terrific player, no doubt, but if he goes then he goes, we have been selling players since before anyone had even heard of Adolf Hitler.

The broader point is do we then re-invest the cash in bringing in another 2-3 CCC quality players? If we do then it will have been more than worth doing.

I can cope with losing a right back, even a very good one, more than I could with losing BWP or Yann who would be much harder to replace.
  • Options
    Every player has his price and if the right offer comes in, then good luck to him. We have all seen it with the likes of Bowyer, Walsh, Shelvey, Jenkinson etc moving on. Agree that if he does go, then the money is given to Powell to re invest. If that happens, and the squad is improved then great news. If not, then we will not be happy bunnies.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

heavenSE7 said:

Baldock, Kerkar, 1 CB IN
    Just my thoughts.

Plausible but then we have had SCP quoted as saying Solly wasn't leaving or did I dream that.

As @wss has already said. I doubt Powell has any say in the matter.

• Options
    In my view if Solly is sold it will be a f********* disgrace....

...and if the reason was to be to finance future activity then the current owners are also a f********** disgrace because they appear to have purchased the club without having any money to spend on it.

I dread to think what CP makes of all this and reading between the lines you can tell he ain't happy. Whats the point if they take away the tools he needs to do the job?
    He's clearly a man of honesty and integrity so won't jump to a decision but if this pitiful situation in our boardroom continues for much longer I can see him walking away...and the club will lose the best thing thats ever happened to it.
  • Options
    So let me get the facts... Solly has said he doesn't want to leave, SCP has said he doesn't want him to leave. Any other confirmed facts? Storm in a teacup as ever.
  • Options
    What if he goes and the money isn't given to Powell to reinvest?
  • Options

Nadou said:

Do you have good reason to believe that there is a 'situation' and that there really is a strong chance that he might move on?

yes

Something like the fact that 99% of clubs outside the top flight have financial difficulties and struggle to keep hold of their prized assets when clubs with greater financial clout flex their muscles....bit like how we hoovered up some of League one's best players last year i imagine.

It's not unique to our club or symptomatic that the rumours and hearsay (ive seen no evidence and am not in the know so thats what they are to me) of the past few weeks are coming to fruition....it's just the reality of football nowdays.

When the likes of Arsenal cant keep hold of their star players it's hugely unlikely a club in our league can keep hold of our most valuable players.

If CP were to think he could have everything his way with someone elses money he would be very naive and fortunately I think he's been around the game long enough not to be so green.

Would be gutted to see Solly go as i was Jenkinson and all our other prospects that have left over the years but that's football. Until you are at the top with the power and the money the bigger boys call the shots and everyone else makes do best they can... like life really.

• Options

So let me get the facts... Solly has said he doesn't want to leave, SCP has said he doesn't want him to leave. Any other confirmed facts? Storm in a teacup as ever.

Not a 'confirmed fact', I know, but from everything I've read on here over the last few weeks I would say there's a 99% chance that the biggest influencer in this deal is that we need the money.

Will be sorry to see him go but I don't think this transfer will harm us, playing wise, as much as, say, Robert Lee going or, dare I mention it, Scott Parker.

• Options
    PopIcon said:

What if he goes and the money isn't given to Powell to reinvest?

Confirms we are Donald Ducked

• Options
    If this was an article in a reputable newspaper, and contained no quotes and no sources, I'd suggest that it was nonsense. But as it's been typed into the internet I am going to fly into a panic.
  • Options
    Baldock for Solly plus 1.5mil...

Kerkar on a free as mid cover, Dervite on a free as CB cover

1.5m left to balance the books (for one season at least)

Not the ideal situation but may be the most practical?
  • Options

There is a theme on here of late.....suggest a rumour/ hunch.....think of worst case scenario.....think of things that give such viewpoint credence.....shout down those who offer a less pessimistic view.....get support of others with lilly livered corkers such as "Hmm good post...I'm worried now".

Within minutes rumour becomes cast iron fact despite not one shard of evidence being provided.

Continue with worry until distracted by next hot topic and then conveniently ignore when rumour and hearsay turns out to be unsubstantiated rumour and hearsay and you have a day in the life of Charlton Life.