Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sorry with the Solly Situation

Comments

• Options
    Where do you get this £3m valuation from? That's a lot for a League One full back.

Also, isn't this West Ham interest old? They made public they were interested over a month ago...perhaps why you've had this Baldock will he/won't he situation for so long ie Charlton holding out for good money for Solly, West Ham not wanting to go that high for a player unproven, but with a lot of potential, so Baldock is the sweetener. But he doesn't want to come to Charlton for whatever reason - a 50% drop in wages? Hence the loan idea.
  • Options

WSS said:

WSS said:

so if powell wants to keep him but he goes, what then will happen to Powell?

Exactly my thoughts.

he will accept that books have to be balanced and crack on with the job just like 99% of all other managers have to.
    I think you underestimate SCP's ambition as a person and as a manager.

He may (and does) love the club, of that there is no doubt, but I can't see him gladly accepting goalposts moving, or restrictive situations like Dario Gradi has done for 100s of years at Crewe for example!

In reality SCP took over a struggling third division team as his first managerial post. I very much doubt that he is unaware of the cold hard realities of football finance and expects to have his way over every sale and purchase. There are only a few managers worldwide that can afford that luxury.

Depends on the circumstances. If Solly wanted to go and there's a decent deal on the table then I doubt SCP would stand in his way.

If however, he's being sold against Powell's will then I think this would be a real test. After all, 12 months ago he was asked to put together a squad that could compete in the Championship. Having done just that, I think SCP would be pretty pissed off if that squad's POTY was sold at the first opportunity, particularly if he didn't consider the deal to be good value.

The financial picture may have changed, but unless 'do nothing' isn't an option we might be risking our best manager in a generation by selling Solly.
  • Options
    Year loan and undisclosed fee----well that would start the drums beating not just on here.Unless CP goes out and gets a cple of GOOD quality at this level other players with the dosh.
    If he cant time wise or isnt given the money well its such a huge kick in the gonads. I would worry about the knock on effect to team and fans.
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Where do you get this £3m valuation from? That's a lot for a League One full back.

Also, isn't this West Ham interest old? They made public they were interested over a month ago...perhaps why you've had this Baldock will he/won't he situation for so long ie Charlton holding out for good money for Solly, West Ham not wanting to go that high for a player unproven, but with a lot of potential, so Baldock is the sweetener. But he doesn't want to come to Charlton for whatever reason - a 50% drop in wages? Hence the loan idea.

Well Villa paid 5mill for one last month and Arsenal 12 mill for a L1 winger.
  • Options
    £3m for a right back who has played one full season in League One would be very good going. Not saying that he is not a great prospect, but I think we might need to temper our expectations a bit.

• Options

£3m for a right back who has played one full season in League One would be very good going. Not saying that he is not a great prospect, but I think we might need to temper our expectations a bit.

I believe that's the same figure that Sheff Utd received for selling their promising young right back, after 1 season in League One.
  • Options
    Didn't Arsenal pay half that for Jenks after what was it seven games. Think a 3 million punt for a young English player is reasonable with the finances available in the prem these days. In any case I'm sure the fee would be made up to include appearances etc .
  • Options
    Because he is better than John terry
  • Options
    Greenie nail on the head

We have sold on other (better) players than Solly in the last 30 years and if it improves the club then all well and good

My fear though is that we dont have charlton people running the club now and whereas Murray would have invested that money wisely I'm not so sure this lot will

I liked the look of Wilson last season anyway
  • Options
    If we sell Solly it sends totally the wrong message to the fans - no matter who we bring-in or what cash is involved.

He was our POTY last year, and an outstanding winner in a year of strong competition.

If we are going places then he has to be part of the plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Phil....we have been selling our best players for decades mate..........your sentiments are no better felt than by me I can assure you.
    I produced dozens of banners at the ground back in the 70's, amongst others one was pleading with the club to "Stop selling our Stars."
    Sadly, we will always sell our stars unless we can come up with a super wealthy outfit such as Abramovich or the Man City bunch to back us.
    We are born Addicks and part of the deal I'm afraid is that it means seeing great players leave on an ongoing basis.
    Yes....it's soul destroying....but what's the alternative.
    Parker was maybe a bit different...we should have stuck our heels in a bit more than we did given the league position and state of progress we were at, at the time he left us....now that to me was a huge mistake and let down....it was all downhill from that moment onwards.....as I just knew it would be.
    Anyway that discussion has been done to death......let's look forward to 2012/2013...I think we're going to do really well and surprise more than a few folk along the way.
  • Options
    we are part of the football food chain
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Bunny said:

Well Villa paid 5mill for one last month and Arsenal 12 mill for a L1 winger.
    That's Villa and Arsenal though...meaning if Solly is worth £3m, having only played in League One that tells me it's all about potential...so why aren't better clubs than West Ham in for him?

If you lot think he is worth £3-4m that's fair enough...therefore you might as well tell West Ham to eff off and get the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United etc to take an interest.

• Options
    Well I would guess that West Ham have more to spend than Villa at the moment having made a bid for Carroll.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

Well I would guess that West Ham have more to spend than Villa at the moment having made a bid for Carroll.

Not talking about money - talking about status. If he is worth the £3-4m you think he is, and remember no figures have been quoted by either club yet, then that tells me he has a lot of potential and should surely be attracting the interest of the likes of Liverpool etc.

• Options
    He is worth 10 mil but we should accept 3 plus baldock
  • Options
    Bunny said:

Plaaayer said:

Not talking about money - talking about status. If he is worth the £3-4m you think he is, and remember no figures have been quoted by either club yet, then that tells me he has a lot of potential and should surely be attracting the interest of the likes of Liverpool etc.

How do you know he hasn't ?

• Options
    Bunny said:

Plaaayer said:

I'm not really sure what you're getting at.

We sold a player to Liverpool for I think it was £1.7 million plus add ons who hadn't played a full season for us but had plenty of potential. So I'm not sure how what ths status of the club has to do with it? Maybe I just don't undestand what you're saying so apologies.

We think £3-4 mill would be decent business whatever club he goes to. Just because Arsenal, Man Utd aren't in for him doesn't mean that he hasn't got potential just, maybe they have plenty of cover in those positions and aren't in the market for a right-back?
  • Options
    He isn't worth 3-4mil, sorry guys but 1mil tops
  • Options
    Tomorrow is the 31st of July, wages (and other bills?) need to be paid!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whatever Solly is worth I think it confirms if he is sold the money man has not only "left the building" but we are no closer to replacing him with the same level of funding.

If this is the case which player will be next to cover the bills?

• Options
    What I'm getting at is this - only you Charlton fans have rated him at £3-4m.

I don't care what you say, that is a lot for a League One full-back.

Which isn't the point - he can be worth that as a League One full-back. Not denying that.

But, that kind of fee would only be paid if he showed exceptional potential.

Now, if he showed that kind of exceptional potential then I'd imagine better clubs than west ham would be in for him with their pathetic 'we can give you Baldock' nonsense.

The likes of Liverpool wouldn't muck around with all that and would offer an upfront fee plus add ons. Deal done.

Now, the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal might be watching him. In that case Charlton would know. Therefore it would be madness to entertain silly bids from West Ham, who would probably only pay a small amount up front and offer an injury proven, unproven Championship striker in return.

If you are right and he is worth £3-10m(sic) then I would keep him (Baldock or not) and get a good season of him and sell him to a proper club with a proper bid.

Reminds me of when we sold Chris Armstrong to Palace for £950,000 plus Jamie Moralee. Seemed like a good deal on the face of it, but The Lion Roars insisted he was worth more to us and would command a better transfer if we held our nerve. They were proved right when Palace got promoted with him and sold him for a 700% profit!!
  • Options
    He's certainly worth more than £1m - he's got to be worth more than we got for Jenkinson. I think £1.5m to £2m is realistic. Palace reluctantly agreed £2.2m for Clyne with Saints only on the basis that his contract had 1 year left - in practice he would have been worth £5m or £6m. So I think up to £2m for Solly is realistic. £3m to £4m is kidding yourself.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    We won't sell Solly this season I don't think, don't get promoted (looking likely atm) and we may have to and rebuild a cheaper team and play the slow game out this league.

By rebuild I mean sell our 'stars' aka anyone worth any money we may well need, but who knows.. fans are in the dark over our funds etc.
  • Options
    I agree with the comments about how much a League 1 player is worth - if the club possibly could keep hold of Solly he'd be worth more in a year's time when he'll have shown what he can do in the Championship.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

You think Jenkinson was worth more?
  • Options
    I believe he does have potential Bunny. IF we sell him this year we won't get anywhere near what I believe he is worth, but thats just they way football is.
    I'm putting it out there: Solly for England!
    ;)
  • Options
    Any sale must have a sell on clause or I shall have a tantrum!!
  • Options
    I agree with the comments about how much a League 1 player is worth - if the club possibly could keep hold of Solly he'd be worth more in a year's time when he'll have shown what he can do in the Championship.
    Maybe "we" don't have any option, Saga ...
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    J BLOCK said:

You think Jenkinson was worth more?
    I don't think jenkinson was worth more but Solly is still unproven, what premier league team are going to pay 4million for a unproven defender? Teams will know we are in trouble and need to sell him quickly and will take advantage of that.