Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Federer or Murray?

Comments

• Options
    no one will ever beat gazza's tears i tell thee!
  • Options
    I think it is not only the comments about Anyone but England but also the fact he picks and chooses when to play for GREAT BRITAIN in the Davis Cup. I notice he is available for the Olympics.
  • Options
    Funny how all the people who were lining up to say how much they hated him haven't made a comment after his brave effort and passionate interview yesterday. Maybe that changed their minds a little, maybe they didn't even watch but certainly they won't have anything to say about tennis until Wimbledon rolls around next year !
    Can't stand Tennis and Murray's dour persona plays well to my natural dislike of ANYTHING Scottish. Thank God I do not have to think about tennis again until next year. I assume Murray will be just as shite for Britain in the Olympics and at least this will be swamped by countless other minority sports going on at the same time.

Football, Cricket, Rugby, football, football, football in that order for me.
  • Options
    Funny how all the people who were lining up to say how much they hated him haven't made a comment after his brave effort and passionate interview yesterday. Maybe that changed their minds a little, maybe they didn't even watch but certainly they won't have anything to say about tennis until Wimbledon rolls around next year !
    Maybe they didnt want to gloat.
    Brave effort ha ha - not sure there was any bravery on show at wimbledon apart from in the wheelchair tournament.
    Good effort, but not brave.

Not changed my mind about him though.

• Options
    I wanted Murray to win. I expected him to lose to the sublime Roger Federer. The result wasn't a shock but I have massive respect for Murray. He tried his utmost. He didn't bottle it. He came up short against a player who on his day was just too strong for him.

Murray did have his chances, especially in the second set when he looked as if he was going to over power Federer. Somehow Federer found a way to win the second set and then once the roof came on, his clinical accuracy, pace and guile on the ground strokes were just too good for Murray.

Will Murray win a Grand Slam? Yes he will. Will it be Wimbledon? Probably not. He is though the best male tennis player we have produced since Fred Perry and we should give him our support.
  • Options
    Absolutely spot on Soapy- jones...
  • Options
    Would love to hear ooh ah's take on his day at Wimbledon , Federer went through the gears half way through that match and rolled the clock back 5 years when he played like that at Wimbledon...pretty much all the time , the angles on his shots when he comes into the net are incredible , supposedly has a bad back as well , i didn't think i'd see him playing like that again , you can't write him off.

Didn't realise that Federer's coach was the same guy who coached 'Pistol Pete' Samprass to 7 Wimbledon wins.

Everyone says Murray is better on a hard court , i heard the news about the fact that on one of his ankles he only had 1 intact ligament out of the 3 , which explains the splints/protection on his ankle , he has improved a lot , but still has a long way to go in terms of improving his consistency/1st serve , which hopefully Lendll can do.
  • Options
    Can anyone see if there are stats to show how far each player ran in the match.
    Cannot seem to find anything online.
  • Options
    Not sure where to look MOL , from memory a tennis player normally runs 7-10km in a match i think i remember?
  • Options

Will Murray win a Grand Slam? Yes he will. Will it be Wimbledon? Probably not. He is though the best male tennis player we have produced since Fred Perry and we should give him our support.
    Will he? I'm not so sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One point a lot of non-murray fans are missing is the domino effect of a British win. If Murray can do it then it will improve the chances of an English winner in the next few years. For one it could ignite further interest in the sport and secondly the wave of expectation would be decreased on other players coming through.

A long way to go though.
    Didn't work after 1936 though did it? ;-)
    I think the second world war may have taken care of any potential prospects.
  • Options
    at least marray got the monkey of the brits back with his win in the mens double's... what a match that was!

i doff my cap to you sir, nice couple of lads.
  • Options
    Not sure where to look MOL , from memory a tennis player normally runs 7-10km in a match i think i remember?
    Cheers, so they played 7 games in a fortnight, whilst footballers complain about playing Sat,wed,Sat.
    Same goes for the cyclists and the amonf of work they do to.

• Options

Will he? I'm not so sure.
    Just my opinion. He is capable of beating all of the top four players in the world. Whether he can do it in a final is more moot. I think he can and he will.
  • Options
    I think it is not only the comments about Anyone but England but also the fact he picks and chooses when to play for GREAT BRITAIN in the Davis Cup. I notice he is available for the Olympics.
    To be fair Henman did that too as has every British number 1 I can remember.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    had a good day at Wimbledon , great seats opposite the royal box and a little further back

had an englishman with a swiss wife in front of us and she was giving her husband the 'L' for loser sign when fed was about to win lol

the atmosphere was decent but there are so many helms who just wanna be seen as the funny guy by shouting crap out at the wrong time when the players are ready to play and that winds me up, one fruit shouted out "come on murray , come on the English" as Murray was about to serve, what a weirdo !

seeing federer play and move through the gears to outclass murray was an honour to witness at such close proximity..... murray missed out when he had fed 15-40 in the 2nd set

i was impressed with the way murray took defeat , there was no feigned injury that sometimes appears with him when things go wrong

and i got choked up when murray was teary eyed afterwards

i think murray has too much of an entourage and think he is a bit insecure in his own self belief , he always looks up to the box to see whether to 'challenge' a call which he often does and i see that as a weakness , federer just focuses on the game and very rarely throws in a wrong 'challenge'
    i think murrays mum is more a monkey on his back and adds to the pressure on him she's obviously been a big part of his tennis life but i always think murrays carrying too much baggage and if he could find a way to relax into the game he may have more of a chance

i'm pretty sure he'll win a major but as of yesterday once he'd lost he was scottish not british ;-)

unreal how much the centre court empties out after the mens final for the mixed doubles, it prolly holds 15k and there was prolly only 2-2.5k there to watch what was an entertaining 3 set match
  • Options
    Lucky man oohaah I would have loved to be there. Agree with you re your comment on Murray and his confidence and his mum but after all she is largly responsible for his career so maybe she feels entitled to be there.

His problems are in the mind which will be far tickier to overcome, if you are not physically fit enough you can train harder but overcoming the mental blocks are really hard to do. having said all thet Federer is an absolute legend, great player and fine gentleman but i have to ask where does all that inner steel come from?
  • Options
    I think this is the thinking behind getting Lendl (sp?) is a coach, to help develop the mental strength and determination.
  • Options
    @oohaah how many away fans did Federer bring?
  • Options
    Correct RA and there has been improvement I just hope Andy has the patience to stick with it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think he will, as you say, the improvements are visible, and he possibly came within a game of winning yesterday. At 15-40 in the 9th game of the second set, he should have seen out the break and served for the set next game. Would have been difficult for Federer to fight back from 2-0 down.
  • Options
    Ooey thanks for the report its interesting to hear , got to ask you , how on earth did you get a ticket?
  • Options
    got tickets thru a charity auction a few weeks back
  • Options
    got tickets thru a charity auction a few weeks back
    Cool , well done.
  • Options
    i think it's a bit of a closed shop down there , trying to get tickets is impossible without paying thru the nose
    my friend and sisters have applied thru ballots and have never had any joy for a decent day or show court
    and another mate is a member of a tennis club and they might get a ticket for court 2 or something
    but when you consider the 5 year centre court debentures were sold for 2010-2014 @ 27k and i think it was 27k they were going for for just this years wimbledon it's beyond a joke trying to get your hands on a ticket for centre court
  • Options
    My parents apply through the ballot every year. They got Centre court tickets on Tuesday this year and they have got Centre court a couple of years ago for a day in the first week. Lucky them.
  • Options
    There always seem to be plenty of tickets for the likes of Mr and Mrs Beckham, John Hurt, Miranda Hart, Kylie etc. And they end up in the royal box. I bet they don't have to queue from the early hours as I did one year or camp overnight as others do. I wonder if they even have to buy a ticket. If Wimbledon is so concerned about packing 'celebrities' into the centre court they might at least be a bit more choosy - Michael McIntyre indeed!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Ten ways to get a seat at Wimbledon 2013

http://www.wimbledondebentureholders.com/articles/ten_ways_to_grab_a_seat_at_wimbledon

The job of selecting who sits in the box’s 74 Lloyd Loom wicker seats each day falls to the Chairman of the All England Lawn Tennis Club, Philip Brook.

Brook, who was appointed in 2010, takes advice from the Championships’ Organising Committee as well as the Lawn Tennis Association when drawing up the list.

He invites Royals from home and abroad as well as the great and the good from all walks of life to enjoy the best view in the stadium.

From sportsmen and celebrities to military chiefs and heads of government, the Royal Box is guaranteed to house some famous faces, and this year has been no exception...
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Federer announces his competitive retirement at the age of 41.

His last pro level tournament will be at next week’s Laver Cup at the O2 in London.

Laver Cup line-ups…
    Europe: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Ruud, Tsitsipas (Captain: Bjorn Borg)
    World: Auger-Aliassime, Fritz, Schwartzman, De Minaur, Tiafoe, Sock (Captain: John McEnroe)