Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Federer or Murray?

Comments

• Options
    Because I don't play tennis Stu unless it's on a table and I've been in many of them finals!
  • Options
    There are some proper weirdos on here.

Everyone bemoans our pampered footballers who do very, very little on the international stage to justify their staggering wage packets and here we have a young bloke breaking his balls and competing successfully against the best tennis players in the world and they hate him too just because he once made a joke about the England football team - the one who embarrass on an bi-annual basis.

Maybe some folk are just naturally full of hatred, I think Martin Samuel gets it right here....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2169975/Wimbledon-2012-Martin-Samuel--Give-respect-Andy-Murray.html

• Options
    For me I would rather Murray be a british winner, rather than a scottish loser. I'm all for supporting the brits, I'll be supporting all the team GB including football in the Olympics
  • Options
    I totally agree with you Ormiston,but for me personally it has nothing to do with country or his comments
  • Options
    'I hope Murray doesn't win, because he's over rated' is a really weird argument.
    If he wins Wimbledon he obviously isn't over rated!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I couldn't care less if he's Scottish and/or British or how good he is at Tennis the reason i don't want him to win is that he's the most dour , miserable sportsman i think i've ever seen. When he talks he can barely make the effort to open his mouth . He's an ungracious brat and would do well to watch Roger Federer every now and then , just to see how to behave.
    Oh and his mum winds me up to.

Bedsaddick puts he's tin hat on.

• Options
    Come on Federer kick his arse. I make no excuses for being anti Scots. They cost a fortune to keep and never stop moaning. I have been a paid up SNP member for over 10 years. Give them what the want ffs.
  • Options
    but doesn't he have a Charlton supporting fitness coach ??

Yes, and as discussed on here before he's been to The Valley a few times with him.
    Saw Murray near Charlton station before one evening game a few years ago.

Good luck to him - he may not be happy and smiley all the time, but then again he's not a comedian.
    He's among the very best in the world at what he does and if he can beat Federer then he will fully deserve to be Wimbledon champion.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    You must have been cut up seeing Christian Dailly as club captain then???
  • Options
    Murray isn't doing it for Scotland or Britain he's doing it for himself and the huge pay packet, as are all the tennis players on the circuit.

Having said that, I'll be supporting him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Murray isn't doing it for Scotland or Britain he's doing it for himself and the huge pay packet, as are all the tennis players on the circuit
    Unlike footballers
  • Options
    I'm not anti-Scottish, but neither am I instantly going to support another Brit regardless of whether I like him (plus he was born a grand total of about 10 miles closer to me than Federer anyway).

I think Federer is the greatest player ever, fantastic to watch due to the way he plays the game, and a true gent and sportsman off the court. I would love to see him defy people who were saying he was on the way out (especially after the French Open), equal Sampras's Wimbledon record and I think get back to World number 1.

Whereas I don't really like Murray. Couldn't care less about an old joke he made about our football team, and it's not becuase he's he's Scottish. He's grown out of the stroppy annoying teenage phase, but I still find him grumpy, dour, a bit of a poor sportsman, and generally not very likeable. Plus his mum's annoying.

Go Feds.
  • Options
    Murray, I like him and far less talented players have won majors, he will deserve it.

That said I think Federer will win in 4 sets
  • Options
    It's got nothing to do with the countries more to do with him being overrated!He is only in the final because he didn't meet Nadal in the semi final and Murray has always came up short in the big matches.Fact!
    why didnt he play nadal in semi?.oh yeah nadal got beat.
  • Options
    Because I don't play tennis Stu unless it's on a table and I've been in many of them finals!
    Without Nadal involved surely it's easy enough for any tom dick or harry to get to the final.
  • Options
    His mum would make a good would ya
  • Options
    Murray is only there by default because Nadal had an bad day at the office earlier. Tsongo lost yesterday more than Murray won.
    Davydenko (former world #3), Karlovic (serving beast, experienced), Baghdatis (grand slam finalist), Cilic (grand slam semi-finalist), Ferrer (current world #6) and Tsonga (current world #5) all beaten in 3/4 sets. All of those players are players to avoid, yet Murray has beaten them all and definitely deserves his place in the final.
    Quite right..he hasn't had a walk in park its fair to say...
  • Options

Without Nadal involved surely it's easy enough for any tom dick or harry to get to the final.

so if a team gets to the fa cup final without playing utd,chelsea etc it dont mean as much.
  • Options
    Martin Samuel on Andy Murray's detractors: "They genuinely believe he is as small-minded and petty as they are."
  • Options
    So just to confirm we don't want Murray to win because:

His mum's anoying
    He's not the most media friendly sportsman and can be a bit grumpy
    He didn't beat a bloke who got beat by another bloke in an earlier round
    He wasn't born near enough to us
    The bloke he comfortably beat in the semi's decided to lose instead
    A charity might benefit from some unspecified bet
    Scottish people might end up pointing out it took a Scot to do what a succession of Englishmen couldn't do and that might be anoying
    He cracked some joke to a journo about not being an England supporter
    The Swiss geezer he's playing seems like a good bloke and a great player therefore more deserving

Is that about right? Don't want to miss anything before I change my mind and get the cowbells out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2012
    A lot is made of Andy's miserable (public nature) i'm sure he tries not to say anything too controversial because he knows people will put there own spin on it, and i'm sure off court he is a lot more relaxed and a different person.

Maybe thats why he's tried hiring Simon Fuller , to try and get the public to change there perception of him , as well as bringing in the right deals and kerching.

I dont know how involved he was in the Dunblan massacre , but being involved in something like that is certainly going to make you look differently at things.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1465812/Dunblane-survivor-may-be-next-Henman.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024250/Andy-Murray-I-sat-Dunblane-killer-Thomas-Hamilton-mother-gave-lift.html
  • Options
    Murray isn't doing it for Scotland or Britain he's doing it for himself and the huge pay packet, as are all the tennis players on the circuit
    Unlike footballers
    And your point is?

At Wimbledon he's not playing for his country. In league football, footballers are not playing for their country. I've said before that there's very little loyalty amongst footballers for the clubs they play for, but it's a job, not a calling. In the Davis Cup Murray is playing for his country, just like the footballers chosen to play for their respective countries in the Euros, World Cup, etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Too good to hurry? I've waited a long long time to see something like this and, en route, had to endure the ghastly Virginia Wade as my house captain and tennis coach. C'mon Murray.
  • Options
    I can sympathise with Murray when talking to the press,how all these sportsmen and women put up with the pathetic questions they ask is beyond me and Geoff Shreeves is probably one of the worse.Being up in Scotland its the usual no one is really interested unless its football or golf.Havent even seen any kids with tennis rackets this year yet. I will be on the pop at a bowling day and wont be giving a toss either way!
  • Options
    Andy is British, I am British, so no contest - it has to be Andy.
    Federer is one of the greatest players ever, but I still want a British player to win.
  • Options
    Andy is British, I am British, so no contest - it has to be Andy.
    Federer is one of the greatest players ever, but I still want a British player to win.
    Federer is european I am european- Has to be federer
  • Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024250/Andy-Murray-I-sat-Dunblane-killer-Thomas-Hamilton-mother-gave-lift.html
    'To be honest, I think bananas are a pathetic fruit.'

How dare he! Bananas are amazing, they even come with their own packaging.
  • Options
    Yep, your right Neil , another reason for people not to like him! :-0
  • Options
    Murray will mellow with age , i hated Mcenroe when he was a player as he was a right stroppy but gifted git , now he's a lot older , he is very funny guy and a lot more relaxed.
  • Options
    Chalk it up Bournemouth:

- We're on bananas' side.