Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Just finished The Serial Killers Wife on Paramount+. Excellent British thriller based around a Dr who is accused of murder.
  • Sirens. Another Korean Netflix show. This one involves 24 women split into teams of four from different professions, soldiers, firefighters, Police etc. 

They are located in an island with six home bases. The object of the game is to take an opponents base and send them home. 

Quite unusual as the game is very physical. 

7/10
  • Brassic Xmas Special is out on Sky. Imelda Staunton and Greg Davis have guest star roles
    Wasn't the greatest Brassic Episode I've ever seen tbh.
  • edited December 2023
    Just started the fifth season of Fargo. As always, an excellent cast. this feels like more of a return to the excellent first series which is a very dark comedy. Worth a watch if you enjoyed the first two series before it got too serious. 
  • Latest season of fargo is terrific!
  • Brassic Xmas Special is out on Sky. Imelda Staunton and Greg Davis have guest star roles
    Wasn't the greatest Brassic Episode I've ever seen tbh.
    I thought it was crap, gave up half way through. 
  • Just watched the Caroline Ahearne programme that was on BBC on Christmas day. Really good tribute to her and great seeing so many clips and excerpts of her shows plus actually very moving to see how much her friends and colleagues loved her. I'd highly recommend it. 
  • Traitors series 2 starts tonight
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Traitors series 2 starts tonight

Can't wait!
  • Watched first series of KIN now. Thought it was really good.
    It is excellent, got one episode of season 2 left.
  • Wilma said:
    Mr Bates vs the Post Office on ITV is good but is making me angry! Even if you know the background to the scandal it's well worth a watch.  I've only watched the first two episodes and I've learnt more about the story than I already knew. 
    Very good but not good for my blood pressure
  • Fargo Season 5 - outstanding 
  • Post office drama is excellent.
    Does make you feel a little sick at times,
    Hope all of these poor people get what they deserve

Worth signing the petition to make yourself feel a little bit better!

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/strip-paula-vennells-of-her-cbe
  • Sponsored links:

• By mistake last night , instead of Mr Bates, I watched on catch -up the Real Story doc. that ITV have made to go alongside the series. It features interviews with Alan Bates and some of the others. I was so effing  angry that i was easy meat for the 38 Degrees petition. Paula Vennells the CEO “left” the Post Office and next year picked up a CBE. Can you effing believe that, well yes I expect you can… Anyway Alan Bates  was awarded an OBE but refuses to accept it until Vennells is stripped of hers. Thats what the 38 Degrees petition demands. When I signed it last night it was on 30,000. I just got another mail from them (after watching episode 1) and its now on 247,000. Here you go, people. Sign it for Alan Bates…

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/strip-paula-vennells-of-her-cbe?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast43900
    It's up by 50K in the last two and a half hours to almost 300K. And rightly so. 
  • I've just watched the first three episodes, which made my blood boil. Thank you for posting a link to the petition, which I've signed.

A great drama and, most importantly, it helps keeps this scandal very much in the public eye.
  • Blucher said:
    I've just watched the first three episodes, which made my blood boil. Thank you for posting a link to the petition, which I've signed.

A great drama and, most importantly, it helps keeps this scandal very much in the public eye.
    Surprised it hasn't got its own thread.
    Couid have massive implications for Ed Davey and the Lib Dems at the next election.
  • Blucher said:
    I've just watched the first three episodes, which made my blood boil. Thank you for posting a link to the petition, which I've signed.

Couid have massive implications for Ed Davey and the Lib Dems at the next election.
    How so?
  • Blucher said:

How so?
    He was minister in charge of the post office during the coalition government, and was also a paid advisor for the law firm that represented the PO. He's blaming the post office for misleading the government but either way it's embarrassing for him 
  • McBobbin said:
    Blucher said:

How so?
    He was minister in charge of the post office during the coalition government, and was also a paid advisor for the law firm that represented the PO. He's blaming the post office for misleading the government but either way it's embarrassing for him 
    Ok. The system was installed way before they even got into power though. The first court case was in 2006. 

This is a classic case of over-ambitIous IT ( which the UK knows a lot about, ask an NHS GP, but the UK is hardly alone) plus a second-rate management (typical of the privatised utilities) which also adopted a bullying culture. None of that is anything to do with Ed Davey. Jesus…
  • McBobbin said:
    Blucher said:

How so?
    Ok. The system was installed way before they even got into power though. The first court case was in 2006. 

This is a classic case of over-ambitIous IT ( which the UK knows a lot about, ask an NHS GP, but the UK is hardly alone) plus a second-rate management (typical of the privatised utilities) which also adopted a bullying culture. None of that is anything to do with Ed Davey. Jesus…
    Regardless. He was in one of the highest positions of power in this matter and chose to ignore the noise of these poor people and take the word of the lying scumbags that he was supposed to run the rule over.
    He's now asking you to vote for him to run the country.
    Capiche?
  • I'd imagine that he will be a handy scapegoat
  • McBobbin said:
    Blucher said:

How so?

Regardless. He was in one of the highest positions of power in this matter and chose to ignore the noise of these poor people and take the word of the lying scumbags that he was supposed to run the rule over.
    He's now asking you to vote for him to run the country.
    Capiche?
    No that's really trite, and tribal. But let's try and dial down the tribal politics of this, otherwise others will rightly call us out. For me the lessons of this are

- Big IT projects are the 2nd  most risky national infrastructure projects of the lot, as highlighted in a book I've just finished. Hold back on the hubris, test rigorously and stay humble.
    - the Honours system needs a major overhaul
    - at the same time I'm a bit uneasy if the only response to the programme is to pile-on the now hapless Vennings woman. She should be stripped of her medal. But all those reporting to her who helped build and signed off on this shitshow need to be named and shamed. You wanna earn the same big bucks as in the proper private sector? Then you need to accept the same price of incompetence and failure.
    - Our political system is far from perfect but the geographical constituency system encourages individual MPs with no big career ambitions to do real good. In this case James Arbuthnot. Tracey Crouch is another example. They are both Tories. The BBC Hillsborough doc. highlighted the pivotal role of Andy Burnham. 
    - Hats off to ITV. Over at the BBC they should be asking themselves how come they didn't make this.
  • The Horizon fiasco is a shocking story and I'm glad the TV drama is highlighting it further - an excellent watch.

Somebody has to be held responsible for this - the actions of Fujitsi and Post Office management are a disgrace. The callousness of those in charge is awful.

Every basic safeguard in the system seems to have been missed and security went out of the window. The dishonesty on display is shameful. Numerous lives destroyed....

Vennings was in charge and ludicrously was awarded a CBE. If she had any decency she would hand the award back and accept her share of responsibility. Wtf are CEOs paid for? 

Listening to a phone in on R5 today there were numerous heartbreaking stories.

Alan Bates is an amazing person to have spearheaded this campaign.