Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Gavin and Stacey Christmas special
    Tonight @ 9PM
    BBC1

I know it's old, but for me ,THE best sitcom Christmas special ever

That is all
  • Just when I was wondering If I'd ever find anything new to really like, especially on  HBO, I stumble across A Spy Among Friends, a dramatisation of the story of the double agent Kim Philby. If you like early Le Carre spy stuff, the way the BBC did them in the 80's, you'll love this, although the frequent time shifts mean you have to pay attention. Damian Lewis is co-lead and he's obviously been learning from the way Sir Alec Guinness played George Smiley, and he's learnt well. Especially the subtle changes of facial expression that speak a thousand words. It's that kind of series. Love it.
    Watched it when on originally, thought Guy Pierce was very good in it.
  • Gavin and Stacey Christmas special
    Tonight @ 9PM
    BBC1

I know it's old, but for me ,THE best sitcom Christmas special ever

That is all
    Bollox. It's the newer one!
  • Without delving back through, I’ve been recommended Slow Horses. Anyone have a view?
  • kafka said:
    Without delving back through, I’ve been recommended Slow Horses. Anyone have a view?
    I've followed all 3 seasons now. Absolutely loved Gary Oldman's performances in previous 2 seasons and the humour of the dialogue. Currently enjoying season 3. Shame it's only 6 episodes each season. Too short! :D
  • Anyone been watching the walking programs where a celeb does a lovely walk whilst filming themselves with a selfie stick?
    Been really lovely.
    Last night it was Jim Moir aka Vic Reeves & he walk along the coast from Lydd to the power station. It was great. Brought back so many memories of going down there as a kid.
    I accidentally switched on to the Shappi Khorsandi one the other week.

Usually she annoys me but the lovely scenery actually made me watch the whole thing. Very addictive!
    I didn't realise there were others, I will have to seek them out
    Thanks KB!

• Thought Survivor was good post-merge, hope it gets another series (with a different presenter!) and they cast a few more people aware of the game rather than the 'I thought we were friends' types.

People like Ashleigh, Chris, Doug and Laurence were good.
  • Really looking forward to Reacher.
    loved the first series, infinitely better than the films. Kept to the books much more, including Reacher himself not being played by a 5ft actor. 

They’ve gone with book 11 for the 2nd series. 
    Series one was based on book one. 
    First 3 episodes of S2 are out, not read the books but liked the first season. 2nd one got off to a good start, more of the same but tweaked slightly.

The supporting cast this time mostly know Reacher and are more on his level of competence and intelligence (on both sides) so it feels more personal and challenging this time.

If you didn't like S1 though this absolutely won't change your mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah boat story was really good. 
    Just started watching it, a bit gory but will stick with it.
    Finished watching it last night.
  • Thought Survivor was good post-merge, hope it gets another series (with a different presenter!) and they cast a few more people aware of the game rather than the 'I thought we were friends' types.

First time watching Survivor and I really enjoyed it. I think Joel got better as presenter as the show went on. I totally agree about the contestants though. It really annoyed me on the final that so many were whinging about double crossing and sneaky tactics...that's the purpose of the game! 
  • Watched the e first two episodes of Reacher season 2 with Mrs SB who is a huge fan (I can’t think why!). The acting is so wooden that you could get splinters from your telly but it’s good entertaining stuff. 
  • Watched first part of a series where Ralph Little & Ricky Tomlinson go on a tour of the north in a winnebago.
    It’s on the beeb so you’ll find it on iplayer.
    Funny in bits & an easy watch.
  • Watched the e first two episodes of Reacher season 2 with Mrs SB who is a huge fan (I can’t think why!). The acting is so wooden that you could get splinters from your telly but it’s good entertaining stuff. 
    Some of the scenes are proper cringey at times but it's a pretty fun brainless watch overall.
  • edited December 2023
    Whistled through the new WW2 from frontlines documentary series on Netflix.
    Really good and covers the whole thing from start to finish. Highly recommended.

Just started KIN. One in and really like the look of it.
  • Watched first part of a series where Ralph Little & Ricky Tomlinson go on a tour of the north in a winnebago.

This is a repeat. Was on either Dave or UK Golf a couple of years ago. Pretty sure the whole series is on UKTV Play.
  • Wilma said:
    Thought Survivor was good post-merge, hope it gets another series (with a different presenter!) and they cast a few more people aware of the game rather than the 'I thought we were friends' types.

First time watching Survivor and I really enjoyed it. I think Joel got better as presenter as the show went on. I totally agree about the contestants though. It really annoyed me on the final that so many were whinging about double crossing and sneaky tactics...that's the purpose of the game! 
    Yeah exactly.

To be fair America had a lot of the same naivety in contestants in the first series and people took alliances and being voted out very personally but it soon stopped - that's why I really hope it gets more series as I could see it getting stronger each series.

This is a repeat. Was on either Dave or UK Golf a couple of years ago. Pretty sure the whole series is on UKTV Play.
    Ooh really.
    Missed it first time then, cheers 👊🏼
  • late to the party Watching Irvine Welsh's 'Crime' series 2 .. excellent acting, a bit different from most cops n robbers TV fare
  • Sponsored links:

• Wilma said:
    Thought Survivor was good post-merge, hope it gets another series (with a different presenter!) and they cast a few more people aware of the game rather than the 'I thought we were friends' types.

Yeah exactly.

To be fair America had a lot of the same naivety in contestants in the first series and people took alliances and being voted out very personally but it soon stopped - that's why I really hope it gets more series as I could see it getting stronger each series.
    Bring back Charlotte the Harlot from the original UK series 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Wilma said:

Yeah exactly.

Bring back Charlotte the Harlot from the original UK series 
    She and the second series winner were both police officers - obviously the right combination of fitness and being sneaky....
  • Lessons in Chemistry on Apple TV, loving it. 
  • Jints said:
    kafka said:
    Without delving back through, I’ve been recommended Slow Horses. Anyone have a view?
    I watched it on the recommendation of this forum. It's very good, particuallry Gary Oldman
    He really is great. I've now become a fan after 2 seasons and have been watching all his films recently while waiting in between episodes, even the ones I've watched before like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. I didn't know he was so incredibly versatile. He's played many characters yet they're completely different. I can't think of another actor that has so much range, not even Robert De Niro or Daniel Day-Lewis who are my favourite actors. 
  • The Devils Plan on Netflix. 

Another Korean game show like Squid game but solving puzzles. Complicated but once they start to play you get the hang of it..  blasted through the first 11 episodes, final one tonight. Second series coming soon. 

7.5/10 only because I'm not as clever as the contestants. 
  • late to the party Watching Irvine Welsh's 'Crime' series 2 .. excellent acting, a bit different from most cops n robbers TV fare
    Even later to the party I’m in the middle of season 1. The Edinburgh accents are a bit overdone but it’s good stuff. 
  • edited December 2023
    Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+

First two Episodes have been released today, next six will be released each Wednesday.

Harry Potter style novel series, but based on Greek Mythology.

Two films got released about ten years ago, but the Author had zero involvement in them, so hates them - On the other hand the Author pretty much pitched this series to Disney, and has had a lot of involvement in the making of it. Already can see a bit more that matches between book and the show - Its going to help though that one book spans a series, rather than being restricted to a single 2-hour film etc.

Could help show the potential of what HBO can do when they remake Harry Potter.

Definitely worth watching, especially if you have kids.
  • Watched first series of KIN now. Thought it was really good.
  • Obliterated on Netflix was a lot of fun, very expensively done but absolutely not taking itself seriously has some scenes that made me howl with laughter and the violence was pleasingly graphic too. In one scene that every bloke will know maybe too much but that was also done splendidly 
  • Brassic Xmas Special is out on Sky. Imelda Staunton and Greg Davis have guest star roles