Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Watched the first two episodes of Time on Iplayer - this series is set in a women's prison. Jodie Whittaker and Bella Ramsey are very good and it shows again the need for reform in prison.
    Didn't realise this was back, is it another 3 parter? Will definitely have a look at this
    Another 3 parter - started last night on TV.
    All episodes on Iplayer.
  • Finished Boiling Point on Friday and although we enjoyed it it definitely needed a couple more episodes. Each episode tends to focus on one character, but after that episode they barely touch upon that storyline again.

The story and plot definitely needed another couple episodes to expand the plot a bit further. There will almost definitely be a second series which I hope is given a lot more scope.
    had enjoyed all 4 episodes and settled down to watch last night only to find out it had finished!!!!

There was no resolution to anything, it was just 'an episode'
    really disappointed as we were enjoying it and looking forward to how it would all play out.

• Is this new Time series related to the Sean Bean/Stephen Graham one? Same writers?
  • McBobbin said:
    Is this new Time series related to the Sean Bean/Stephen Graham one? Same writers?
    Jimmy McGovern the writer on both. Helen Black co-wrote Series 2.
  • edited October 2023
    Did anyone try ‘Survivor’ on Saturday and Sunday (bbc1)?
    I love the US version which has run for 23 years now (45 series) so I was interested to see what the UK version would be like.
    I thought it was ok. Some entertaining characters and some bellends too, which are essential for a good season. Thought the presenter (Joel something?) was pretty amusing for a bit, but I think his comments might start to grate after a while.
    Survivor is a great format, so I’m hoping it’s a good season and goes down well.
  • Not a series but just watched Rhod Gilbert, A Pain in the Neck, about his cancer journey. Very moving indeed and encapsulates what cancer sufferers have to endure and hopefully overcome. Watch if you can.
  • edited October 2023
    I love the US version which has run for 23 years now (45 series) so I was interested to see what the UK version would be like.
    I thought it was ok. Some entertaining characters and some bellends too, which are essential for a good season. Thought the presenter (Joel something?) was pretty amusing for a bit, but I think his comments might start to grate after a while.
    Survivor is a great format, so I’m hoping it’s a good season and goes down well.
    Same, I've seen about up to anout series 24 then lost whatever I was streaming it on.  Love it.  I liked the previous UK series too, especially the first.

I'm not a fan of Joel Dommett at all irritating voice and not a natural presenter, but hoping it can succeed in spite of him.

They do seem to have a good spread of characters, glad they haven't gone completely for Love Island types etc like a lot of reality shows now.
  • edited October 2023
    Same, I've seen about up to anout series 24 then lost whatever I was streaming it on.  Love it.  I liked the previous UK series too, especially the first.

I'm not a fan of Joel Dommett at all irritating voice and not a natural presenter, but hoping it can succeed in spite of him.

They do seem to have a good spread of characters, glad they haven't gone completely for Love Island types etc like a lot of reality shows now.
    Yes. Very good point. I too was glad to see that the cast wasn’t entirely made up of vacuous dipshits. (Don’t get me wrong - there are a couple of people who seem pretty vacant, but in the main they seem relatively relatable (when you compare to Love Island, MAFS etc))
  • First episode in the latest series of Shetland was a cracker. Difficult transition when the lead character bales out but Ashley Jensen was excellent taking over from Dougie Henshall. Will now wait a few weeks to be able to binge one after the other. Cant watch weekly episodes now as I forget the plot!!
  • First episode in the latest series of Shetland was a cracker. Difficult transition when the lead character bales out but Ashley Jensen was excellent taking over from Dougie Henshall. Will now wait a few weeks to be able to binge one after the other. Cant watch weekly episodes now as I forget the plot!!
    I enjoyed it - Ashley Jensen's character an interesting addition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Final episode of The Long Shadow last night

thought it was good but maybe an episode or two too long

Have read up on the Yorkshire Ripper before, but the police's blinkered approached still staggered me.

Vividly remember as a kid, listening to the radio in the bath, when they announced they had arrested a man in connection with the murders.

• Haven't watched the Long Shadow yet, though it's on my list, but did watch a documentary on Peter Sutcliffe the other night.

Awful policing, don't get me wrong I know it's a lot easier these days with CCTV, DNA etc but how they completely ignored the women who survived telling them the guy had a Yorkshire accent not a Geordie one staggers me.

And that's before you get to the fact that the decent lines of enquiries they were doing (which company's payroll the £5 note came from that they thought the killer had given rhe victim before attacking her, the tyre tracks made at the scene v  vehicle ownership records etc) were basically closed so they could spend the money on concentrating on the tape.

Must be awful for the families of the last couple of victims particularly that there's a strong suspicion he should have been caught earlier.
  • Did anyone try ‘Survivor’ on Saturday and Sunday (bbc1)?
    Getting panned so far, think it might struggle to get a second series.

Shame as I love the format, think it's way better than Big Brother, Love Island, I'm a Celeb etc.  

I worry that a poor choice of presenter, choosing a Saturday night, and the fact that it does normally get a lot more exciting post-merge means that it won't get a foothold.
  • Did anyone try ‘Survivor’ on Saturday and Sunday (bbc1)?
    Getting panned so far, think it might struggle to get a second series.

Shame as I love the format, think it's way better than Big Brother, Love Island, I'm a Celeb etc.  

I worry that a poor choice of presenter, choosing a Saturday night, and the fact that it does normally get a lot more exciting post-merge means that it won't get a foothold.
    I'm enjoying it but I've ever seen it before. 
    I like Joel Dommett but don't think he's the right person to present it.
  • s3 of The Bear confirmed
  • So in light of current events ,I had another go at Fauda..
    Think I ditched one episode in, years ago. No idea why.
    It's exceptional!
  • Watched E1 S2 of Time last night (Prison one on BBC), enjoyed it. 
  • New comer to Shetland. Started at the beginning and am now on to season 4. Really like it. Didn't realise it was based on the Anne Cleave books.
  • Trailer for new series of Reacher came out yesterday - looks really good! 
  • Robbie Williams getting defensive over Rudebox.

It was a terrible song Robbie
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks really good... Cant wait to see this, along with Disney+ and their version of the Percy Jackson books next month
  • I'm really looking forward to this one, hopefully it won't disappoint. 
  • Couple of things from me

Finally got around to watching From:
    It was ok not as great as I was hoping with what i had heard from it but was watchable

Ghosts:
    Ending was sooooo disappointing considering it was the last ever episode honestly expected it to end better than it did.

Now the strike is over hopefully they can get back to filming the last half of chucky season 3

First half was as great as the first 2 seasons and I'm looking forward to seeing how it wraps up(nothing confirmed if this is the last season yet, so will be intresting to see how it plays out)
  • Not sure if I’m alone but found the new series of planet earth a bit of a let down. 
  • Enjoyed Time. Was worried that Ashley Jensen wouldn’t work as the lead in Shetland but so far she’s been very good as has the actual story.
  • Not sure if I’m alone but found the new series of planet earth a bit of a let down. 
    IMO
    With Netflix and Amazon both producing their own equivalents it doesn’t stand out as much as it used to. 
    Still great but it used to be levels and levels above anything else available. 

• Ghosts:
    Ending was sooooo disappointing considering it was the last ever episode honestly expected it to end better than it did.
    I thought the last episode of the series was good, enjoyed the ending.

However, good news Paulie, there's a Christmas special anyway so that will presumably be the ending ending.
  • Discovered that while the US version Survivor is a bit of a pain to get (pay for Paramount Plus and a VPN), there's Australian and South African versions free on UKTV Play.

Wish I'd have known sooner as looks like only S9 of the Aussie one is on there and I could have been happily enjoying 9 series worth, but I'll take it!

The UK version hasn't gripped me yet - feel like they are missing a funny contestant or two to keep it going, but Survivor is always better once you get to know the contestants, and normally post-merge too so hoping it'll still be good.
  • Discovered that while the US version Survivor is a bit of a pain to get (pay for Paramount Plus and a VPN), there's Australian and South African versions free on UKTV Play.

Wish I'd have known sooner as looks like only S9 of the Aussie one is on there and I could have been happily enjoying 9 series worth, but I'll take it!

The UK version hasn't gripped me yet - feel like they are missing a funny contestant or two to keep it going, but Survivor is always better once you get to know the contestants, and normally post-merge too so hoping it'll still be good.
    South African survivor is decent.

Aussie Survivor is pretty good, but as with most Aussie series, they drag it out for too long. (I think about 22 or 24 episodes per season?) Jonathan LaPaglia, the host, is engaging, but he asks SOOOO many questions at tribal, we always end up shouting “GET ON WITH IT!” at him. 
    Despite this, there are some decent seasons and some good characters.

New Zealand survivor is a dreadful, budget version with a host who lacks any personality.