Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Very late on watchmen - but loving it, 5 episodes in. 

Masively overlooked IMO - one of the best single season whows of teh last 10 years. I could do with re-watching.
  • Anyone watching Julia Bradbury’s series on Ireland on Channel 4 Saturday nights?
    I had to record it (as well as the rugby) as I was at a surprise roundy birthday party.
    The spooky thing about that was, the person she was interviewing in Skibbereen Heritage Centre, it was her surprise party 🤣🤣🍾🥂🥳🥳
    I did think that you may have known the ladies swimming.
  • Anyone watching Julia Bradbury’s series on Ireland on Channel 4 Saturday nights?
    I had to record it (as well as the rugby) as I was at a surprise roundy birthday party.
    The spooky thing about that was, the person she was interviewing in Skibbereen Heritage Centre, it was her surprise party 🤣🤣🍾🥂🥳🥳
    I did think that you may have known the ladies swimming.
    I knew where they were but they were too far away. I need to find out who they were though 🤣🤣
  • Did anyone watch The Reckoning?

Extremely uncomfortable viewing. It really put me back to when I watched the original Louis Theroux documentary and hated every bit of it.

Coogan does it too well.
    I don’t actually like him tbh but credit where it’s due.

Extremely uncomfortable viewing. It really put me back to when I watched the original Louis Theroux documentary and hated every bit of it.

Coogan does it too well.
    Just watched the first episode, Steve Coogan does a terrific job, what he luckily for him lacks in a natural likeness he makes up for in the mannerisms. I felt sick afterwards, I maintain Savile to me as someone born in the 80s, just a weird old bloke with cigars and silver tracksuits I didn't and still don't have any concept or appreciation of how popular he was. I found him creepy but even more so with the way Coogan is playing him. A dark, awful individual 
  • Really enjoyed the Beckham documentary over a couple of nights.  Even the Mrs was happy to watch it, which given it involves football is a miracle in itself.

Started watching the fourth and last season of Sex Education.  Think we finished episode 5 (of 8) last night.  Got to hand it to Laurie Nunn, she's not been afraid to explore some themes that others wouldn't have gone near.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Really enjoyed the Beckham documentary over a couple of nights.  Even the Mrs was happy to watch it, which given it involves football is a miracle in itself.

Started watching the fourth and last season of Sex Education.  Think we finished episode 5 (of 8) last night.  Got to hand it to Laurie Nunn, she's not been afraid to explore some themes that others wouldn't have gone near.
    Snap - my wife that is, not yours.

As for Sex Education, decent watch still and Amie and Eric are both great, but Series 4 was definitely a bit of a dip in quality compared to the others 

• As for Sex Education, decent watch still and Amie and Eric are both great, but Series 4 was definitely a bit of a dip in quality compared to the others 
    Agreed.  I've really enjoyed it.  The picture in episode 1, the teacher 'liaison', the radio producer in the kitchen looking in the fridge, proper belly laughter.  But thats the beauty of the entire programme, it does comedy and the serious stuff side by side and very bloody well.  Will be sad when it finishes.  Eric is obviously off to bigger and better things like Dr Who but I've no doubts that he is going to be an absolute star.

In a way, its a bit like Ted Lasso in a way where it does the thought provoking stuff really well alongside the comedy.

• Finished the Beckham documentary last night.  Thought it was really good.

I'd forgotten how hated he was after France 98. I'd also forgotten how bloody good he was!!
  • Sponsored links:

• New series of Ghosts, looking forward to that. Kids seen a couple already and say it's good.
  • Beckham documentary was excellent

Still remember going to OT midweek early in the 98/99 season and we gave him a load of stick

Even Posh comes out of it well
  • Carter said:
    Did anyone watch The Reckoning?

Coogan does it too well.
    Just watched the first episode, Steve Coogan does a terrific job, what he luckily for him lacks in a natural likeness he makes up for in the mannerisms. I felt sick afterwards, I maintain Savile to me as someone born in the 80s, just a weird old bloke with cigars and silver tracksuits I didn't and still don't have any concept or appreciation of how popular he was. I found him creepy but even more so with the way Coogan is playing him. A dark, awful individual 
    Also watched the first episode last night. Coogan has all the mannerisms nailed brilliantly, particularly the scary way he could look through people.

The series is based on Dan Davies book 'In Plain Sight' which makes for a chilling read. Savile was extremely successful in developing the disco scene in the north and raising the profile of a generation of DJs (and nobody seemed to mind that he was 15 to 20 years older than them and their audiences).

Interesting that the episode had Savile dressed as a court jester in his first forays on to hospital wards. He became the country's court jester in time, with the ear of all those in power including royals, and given the keys from Thatcher to allow him to roam around Broadmoor Hospital. 
    Watched the first episode - such a shocking character. Coogan is excellent in a chilling performance.
  • Beckham documentary was excellent

Still remember going to OT midweek early in the 98/99 season and we gave him a load of stick

Even Posh comes out of it well
    I’m enjoying it but you have to be slightly wary of the narrative given that Beckham’s own production company made it. 
  • Also watched the Beckham documentary and a couple of things stuck out for me.

The control Fergie had over the team was crazy (we probably knew this anyway). But it's quite mad that as soon as he knew he'd lost that control with Beckham, and even though he was still performing on the pitch, he was gone.

The Madrid players being astounded at the attention Beckham got on overseas tours. You've got an incredible squad with modern day greats like Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Raul etc and the fans were all there just to catch a glimpse of Beckham.
  • edited October 2023
    Watched all four episodes of The Reckoning in the early hours of a sleepless night. Would have been uncomfortable viewing at the best of times but a bout of insomnia just added to the ambience. Very well done by a stellar cast. Coogan is a genius. It’s very difficult to move on from a typecast role. He will be forever Partridge of course but this was a masterclass. As someone else said, he looks nothing like Saville bar the wig but the mannerisms were simply brilliant. We learnt nothing new from this but the stark exposition of how such a prominent individual could hide in plain sight was quite something. BBC baring a bit of its soul at long last. 

Coogan does it too well.
    watching this and reflecting on the 'real' Savile my mind switched to the movie 'Joker' and how Savile was a combination dangerous clown and conman, though not of course with the murderous consequences resulting from the fictional character.

Very interesting portrayal of his mother, the 'Duchess', I won't say too much to prevent spoilers, but she seems to have had a fearsome influence on Savile's life and behaviour.

Coogan is superb in the Savile role, as you say, an actor I have had little time for in the past, but he seems to have 'got' Savile exactly right .. excellent TV from the BBC. I have just seen the first episode and wait to see if the Beeb takes any 'blame' for his outrages
  • Watched all four episodes of The Reckoning in the early hours of a sleepless night. Would have been uncomfortable viewing at the best of times but a bout of insomnia just added to the ambience. Very well done by a stellar cast. Coogan is a genius. It’s very difficult to move on from a typecast role. He will be forever Partridge of course but this was a masterclass. As someone else said, he looks nothing like Saville bar the wig but the mannerisms were simply brilliant. We learnt nothing new from this but the stark exposition of how such a prominent individual could hide in plain sight was quite something. BBC baring a bit of its soul at long last. 
    guess it's normal in the TV world but the production was by itv studios. 

Coogan is great and chilling as saville. The music is really well done. They would have like a 60s hit song on but it turns into a sinister song used throughout as you see saville infiltrating further into the establishment or further sickening behaviour. 
  • Don't think I can bring myself to see the reckoning or that netflix documentary. However well made it is, saville makes me feel sick.

Been hearing good things about the Boiling Point series. Loved the film so will watch that instead!
  • Watched the first 3 episodes of The Reckoning so far. Coogan is unbelievable as Saville. It's like he has risen from the grave. He probably deserves some sort of award, but wonder whether the subject matter will prevent it.

Given how poorly the series reflects on the BBC I am surprised they commissioned it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just started episode 3 of Beckham

Beckham comes across as a big time flash harry in episode 1, spending money as quick as he earns it, Gary Neville i think it was at one point said him and Phil were putting money aside in pensions but David wasn't bothered about that, Roy Keane mentioned Beckham spending loads on a pen

He seemed to try and annoy SAF as well, the thing about the colouring of the boots springs to mind.

Even at the start of episode 3, he got the haircut and Gary Neville said, he knew SAF wouldn't approve and it would annoy him so why do it.

I don't like the criticism and abuse he got after the 98 red card it was definitely to much, but again his parents saying Hoddle shouldn't have blamed him(if he didn't get sent off Hoddle wouldn't have blamed him) 

I am definitely enjoying it but it hasn't improved my opinion on David Beckham so far, he seems to be someone who done things to antagonise managers and see how far he could push them.
  • Just started watching Irvine Welsh's Crime.
    Scots lingo is tough going at times but amazing story lines; horror mixed with genuinely funny clips. Main character, Lennox, is well written/played. i gather he has won awards for this CRIME role.
     Brilliantly written by Irvine Welsh, including some very pointed social commentary.
  • Currently watched/watching 

boiling point - loved the film so watched series very good but only 4 episodes it was barely a starter 

David beckham - loved it and forget how hated he was but a very football and media clever and determined man

Lupin - series 3 loved the first two n series 3 started strong but feel lost a little in middle but still enjoyable watch 

Loki season 2 - just started going well enjoyed season 1 

only murders in building - fun easy watch was great cast

• Erm...changing topic slightly...from brilliant documentary's and dramas... to the absolute trash fest of MAFS.

I have to say its my favourite 'reality' show (if you can call it reality, I dont know) and I'll happily sit there and watch it with the wife.  We started watching the Aussie version in lockdown then ended up going back watching every series of it, and have watched the last two UK series since it was revamped.

There's been some proper characters over the years.  Troy from MAFS Australia season 5 stands out like a sore thumb, so bloody funny the way he cleaned his teeth.  Season 6 when Jules & Cameron actually proved the experts can get it right.  But last 3-4 seasons, its like the producers are trying to ramp up the scandals now.

The UK version has been a bit tame by comparison.  We've got our first ever Trans bride in this series.  Then there's Brad who seems like a control freak who looks like he could belong to a bloody cult.  Anyhow, halfway through so far, pretty non-eventful so far.

Anyone else enjoyi...I mean watching it?  No?  Just me then.
    Ahem cough...anyway... back to Beckham and Saville.

• I watch MAFS with the missus, it's definitely the best of the trash tv out there, though this one isn't the most exciting. Plenty of eye rolling when Brad starts talking about the universe. 
  • Used to quite like MAFS when it was a bit more genuine and less "Love Island reject hoping to become an influencer", didn't get on with the first changed series.
  • watched a bit of MAFSUK last Sunday

No surprise when read the news about Brad, very controlling.

The girl who wants a Chelsea type annoys me, and she deffo looks down her nose at the Polish guy matched with

And re the two later couples brought in - how can that bloke be disappointed with his bride ? She is way out of his league.