Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• I took up the offer of Apple TV free for a year. Immediately it became obvious why at least in Europe, free is almost too much, especially if you compare with Netflix. I dont know what’s the matter with Apple in this field, I guess their best people are good at other things.

All that said, they do have the film of the making of Springsteen’s new album ( Letter to You) and if you like him and the E Street Band you will enjoy it, even though the Boss insists on doing his own commentary overlay, which has the tone of somebody considering running for President. 
    Quality over quantity.

• Bloodlands had a hell of a twist at the end of the second episode. Have read it's going down well in NI so will continue to watch.

The Terror has me hooked already. Class cast and intriguing story. Also enjoying Unforgotten.

Also enjoying The Terror two eps in, interested to see where it goes.
  • been looking over 'The Shield' lately (a far from new series) .. Now this is one series that DEFO would not be made today 
  • been looking over 'The Shield' lately (a far from new series) .. Now this is one series that DEFO would not be made today 
    I have also been watching the Shield.
    I really enjoy it. Real gritty true life drama. 

• Bloodlands is great so far. That twist at the end of episode 2!
  • I was enjoying it UNTIL the twist. 

It didn't seem to sit comfortably with what had gone before. Are we heading for unconvincing twists to keep the plot alive. I hope not.  

• reserves said:
    I took up the offer of Apple TV free for a year. Immediately it became obvious why at least in Europe, free is almost too much, especially if you compare with Netflix. I dont know what’s the matter with Apple in this field, I guess their best people are good at other things.

All that said, they do have the film of the making of Springsteen’s new album ( Letter to You) and if you like him and the E Street Band you will enjoy it, even though the Boss insists on doing his own commentary overlay, which has the tone of somebody considering running for President. 
    Quality over quantity.

i found some quality on there. The Bureau, the outstanding French spy drama. I was delighted, because I have been trying to get Series 5 for ages. So I opened it up and what am I offered? Series 1 and 2...
  • Bloodlands had a hell of a twist at the end of the second episode. Have read it's going down well in NI so will continue to watch.

The Terror has me hooked already. Class cast and intriguing story. Also enjoying Unforgotten.

Liked it a lot too, great acting. The novel on which it's based by Dan Simmonds is terrific as well.
  • Carter said:
    Has anyone seen Devils on Atlantic? 

It’s another take on the greed and power of ‘top’ of the Investment banking world. It is set around 2011 against the backdrop of the world dealing with the fallout of the 2008 financial crisis. 

It’s pretty cheesy and sensationalist but tries to tie the storylines into real world news footage. 

It’s ok - but (like similar shows) it suffers where they constantly need to crowbar scenes in to help explain the financial terminology in play. Any time a term was used that would be non-standard to most you could be sure that a clunky scene would follow that tried to explain it. 

It was very weird seeing Paul Chowdhry playing the role of a top trader though. 
    Unluckily for Devils I think Industry on BBC did a drama set in that environment a lot better. Another example of style over substance for Sky 
    Industry was great.. devils was ott 
  • Age of Samurai on Netflix is great. Binged all 6 episodes today. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Tonight we watched the first 2 episodes , aired back to back last Saturday , of The Man in Room 301 on BBC 4.

2 more tomorrow night & final 2 the following Saturday, I believe.

Finnish with sub titles and seems quite decent. 

Watched the first 8! episodes last night on iPlayer - the rest tonight.

No spoilers, but you'll enjoy where it goes. Really compelling stuff and brilliantly acted.
  • What is The Terror and where is it on? 
  • edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    What is The Terror and where is it on? 

BBC2 - started a few days ago (I think) with the first two episodes, but all ten episodes are on iPlayer.
  • Thanks will look it up. 
  • Just finished Wandavision.
    Really enjoyed it. Turned into a more traditional Marvel thing by the end, but a lot of it was so different to anything else they’ve done. Good fun. 
    And cracking performances from Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Katherine Hahn.
  • Watching Goliath on Prime. It’s just about keeping my attention. Billy Bob Thornton is doing his usual excellent thing. 
  • Binged the whole of Wandavision yesterday (quite the contrast to go from the monotony of Oxford v Charlton to Wandavision!).

Thought it was utterly incredible. I’m not into the super hero films so had little pre-existing knowledge but the storyline, visuals and acting are out of this world. Highly recommended. 
  • Just finished Wandavision.
    Really enjoyed it. Turned into a more traditional Marvel thing by the end, but a lot of it was so different to anything else they’ve done. Good fun. 
    And cracking performances from Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany and Katherine Hahn.
    se9addick said:
    Binged the whole of Wandavision yesterday (quite the contrast to go from the monotony of Oxford v Charlton to Wandavision!).

Thought it was utterly incredible. I’m not into the super hero films so had little pre-existing knowledge but the storyline, visuals and acting are out of this world. Highly recommended. 
    Going to be interesting to see how it feeds into the next films with the ending and credit scenes.

Was outstanding acting from Elisabeth Olsen though, not to take anything away from Bettany or Hahn; Falcon and the Winter Soldier (starts on the 19th) really has been set a high benchmark to follow on from
  • Sponsored links:

• New series of Last Chance U starts on Netflix on Wednesday - this one is on basketball. I just hope it's as good as the ones on American Football which were amongst the best sports documentaries I've seen.
  • New series of Last Chance U starts on Netflix on Wednesday - this one is on basketball. I just hope it's as good as the ones on American Football which were amongst the best sports documentaries I've seen.
    Hope I will enjoy as much as the other series. 
    I am much more knowledgeable on American Football than basketball so hopefully will still translate as good. 

• MrOneLung said:
    New series of Last Chance U starts on Netflix on Wednesday - this one is on basketball. I just hope it's as good as the ones on American Football which were amongst the best sports documentaries I've seen.
    I am much more knowledgeable on American Football than basketball so hopefully will still translate as good. 

I had no interest in American Football until I watched this and it really opened my eyes to what the sport involves. Some fantastic characters and a really gripping watch.
  • edited March 2021
    Bloodlands got a bit silly tonight. Police officers investigating themselves, I mean cmon. I’m still eager to find out who Goliath is tho!
  • MrOneLung said:
    New series of Last Chance U starts on Netflix on Wednesday - this one is on basketball. I just hope it's as good as the ones on American Football which were amongst the best sports documentaries I've seen.

I had no interest in American Football until I watched this and it really opened my eyes to what the sport involves. Some fantastic characters and a really gripping watch.
    If you liked Last Chance U then give QB 1: Beyond the Lights a chance. Not as good as Last Chance U but still interesting. Focuses on 3 or 4 highly rated high schools quarterbacks as they finish their high school careers and move to college. 

One of them (Spencer Rattler) will go high in the NFL draft next year so I’ve got a bit of a vested interest in him now!
  • Have just watched all 4 series of Hinterland.  It’s a police detective series set in Wales and so slow that it’s not gripping but getting to know the characters excellently portrayed we watched till the end.  Worth a watch for the Welsh countryside (in our view).  

We’re now into Unorthodox- 4 programmes- and interesting especially for its look into the Jewish faith and its customs.