Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Agreed about season 4, although it was redeemed somewhat by the final episode. With regards to season 5, for fans who didn't watch the Ciro spin-off film, L'Immortale, there will be a bloody big shock.
  • edited March 2021
    Gave the Finnish series 'The man in room 301' a watch over the past few days.

Started well and was watchable but the story had more holes in it than a pair of old tights.
    I expect ITV will be remaking it at some junction in time.

• hawksmoor said:
    Agreed about season 4, although it was redeemed somewhat by the final episode. With regards to season 5, for fans who didn't watch the Ciro spin-off film, L'Immortale, there will be a bloody big shock.
    I still can't find L'immortale anywhere, have had a good search. Doesn't help that the remote doesn't have an apostrophe option
  • You can find it on Sky Atlantic. You'll be able to search without the apostrophe, I imagine. I could only find it under the Italian title, rather than The Immortal.
  • Having dissed Apple TV, I've gotten into The Morning Show, and it's pretty decent. You need to be interested in the world of news media, and it's not in Mad Men class by any stretch, but looks like it will sustain me until something proper like Line of Duty comes along. 

Apple TV is verrrry US oriented content. I don't know why they bother with the global audience. I certainly won't be paying a sub for it at this rate.
  • Chiming in on the discussion on The Wire, I watched it 10 years or so a go and thought it was genuinely brilliant! I’ve not watched an episode since so maybe it’s not aged well.... but would always be in my top 3 Along with The Leftovers (criminally overlooked) and Sons Of Anarchy, Breaking Bad just misses out.

Another highly recommended series would be Fargo, I don’t think it gets the credit it deserves

Currently watching Better Call Saul and enjoying it greatly 
  • edited March 2021
    hawksmoor said:
    Getting back to The Wire, when I watched it years and years ago, I remember being shocked that Idris Elba wasn't an American actor.
    I have more than one discussion with my American friends who wouldn’t believe Hugh Laurie wasn’t American after watching House. 
  • Having dissed Apple TV, I've gotten into The Morning Show, and it's pretty decent. You need to be interested in the world of news media, and it's not in Mad Men class by any stretch, but looks like it will sustain me until something proper like Line of Duty comes along. 

Apple TV is verrrry US oriented content. I don't know why they bother with the global audience. I certainly won't be paying a sub for it at this rate.
    I enjoyed The Morning Show. It's great. Much faster paced than Mad Men - I think they are two completely different shows😉
  • There will be spoilers ahead for those planning to watch The Wire.

I think the character with the best character arc, and who is perhaps not the first person you think of when you remember The Wire is Prez. When he arrives, he's the absolute f*ck up out of everyone. He accidentally lets off his fire arm in the basement, single-handedly starts a riot, then blinds a kid. But then, assigned to office duty for his own good, he eventually cracks the drug code and becomes an integral part of the team.

Then comes that shocking, and heartbreaking, moment when he and McNulty go out to pick up the celebratory Chinese takeaway, they stumble into a crime incident, and Prez ends killing one of the perpetrators, not knowing he was an undercover officer.

Then of course he turns up later, having retrained as a teacher, and turns out to be a truly inspirational educator, under very difficult circumstances.
  • Sponsored links:

• hawksmoor said:
    There will be spoilers ahead for those planning to watch The Wire.

I think the character with the best character arc, and who is perhaps not the first person you think of when you remember The Wire is Prez. When he arrives, he's the absolute f*ck up out of everyone. He accidentally lets off his fire arm in the basement, single-handedly starts a riot, then blinds a kid. But then, assigned to office duty for his own good, he eventually cracks the drug code and becomes an integral part of the team.

Then comes that shocking, and heartbreaking, moment when he and McNulty go out to pick up the celebratory Chinese takeaway, they stumble into a crime incident, and Prez ends killing one of the perpetrators, not knowing he was an undercover officer.

Then of course he turns up later, having retrained as a teacher, and turns out to be a truly inspirational educator, under very difficult circumstances.
    Absolutely. Not just inspirational but also very resilient. The 4th series is my favourite I think. 

Another cop with an interesting, if more subtle, character arc is Ellis Carver as he becomes more thoughtful and mature under Bunny Colvin's influence. 
  • edited March 2021
    Jessie said:
    Having dissed Apple TV, I've gotten into The Morning Show, and it's pretty decent. You need to be interested in the world of news media, and it's not in Mad Men class by any stretch, but looks like it will sustain me until something proper like Line of Duty comes along. 

I enjoyed The Morning Show. It's great. Much faster paced than Mad Men - I think they are two completely different shows😉
    Yes, they are, and it probably wasn't a great comparison. I meant that the Morning Show will probably not interest those who don't care at all about how journalism works, or doesn't work. I got straight into Mad Men because I also worked in that biz but its genius was that millions enjoyed it despite never having had, or wanting, a clue about ad agencies. But Mad Men was a real ground-breaker, especially its slow pace, and its meticulous attention to 60s detail. 
    Can't see this series having the same impact, although the implosions on the UK's real-life commercial morning show right now, might give it some extra relevance there  :) 
  • Gave Schitts Creek a go and turned it off after half hour. Didn’t even raise a smile.
  • Gave Schitts Creek a go and turned it off after half hour. Didn’t even raise a smile.
    Snap. Not sure I got half hour
  • Watched first couple of episodes of Schitt's Creek and didn't really get it. Came back and tried again and it was well worth persevering - the acting is excellent and some real lol moments. Just finished S1.

Similar with Sopranos - had never watched it so tried it in first lockdown. Not at all sure to begin with but get through 3/4 episodes and you're hooked.

Mind you, we're on our third -or maybe fourth- run through of West Wing. My all time favourite. 
  • edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Bit late, but we have just watched first two episodes of Queens Gambit tonight. 

Looks good. 

It's brilliant. 

Was disappointed with The man in Room 301.

If people haven't seen it the Danish film Land of Mine is on BBC4 next Saturday. About German pow's being forced to clear mines at war end before being released. Recommended. 
  • We've massively overdone watching TV during lockdown but when the only other excitement is going to buy food it's understandable. We are really enjoying Spiral (French, first series 2005) and Amsterdam Vice (Dutch, recent). I don't much like sub-titles as you lose a lot of the richness of the dialogue, but these are good enough to make that worthwhile.
  • Not new but 'new' to me-  The Office US.

I watched the 1st season years ago but didn't really rate it as I think I was comparing it with the UK version too much in my mind. I tried it again recently after seeing a few on here rate it, and forgetting the comparison I just enjoyed it as its own series. I'm up to the final season now and really glad I gave it another try. So many proper laugh out loud and cringe moments.
  • hawksmoor said:
    Getting it back on track, I've nearly finished The Terror. Jared Harris is excellent, as he was in Chernobyl. I think all the naval intrigue and atmosphere is very well done. SPOILERS SPOILERS Shame about the bloody CGI monster. It could've been left virtually unseen with far better results, and left maybe as a collective figment owing to the crew-wide poisoning from the canned food.

Agree on the CGI - I saw it as a psychological metaphor for their collective fear and maybe best left unseen (just heard!!).

For me that's about the only criticism - brilliant television.
  • Sponsored links:

I watched the 1st season years ago but didn't really rate it as I think I was comparing it with the UK version too much in my mind. I tried it again recently after seeing a few on here rate it, and forgetting the comparison I just enjoyed it as its own series. I'm up to the final season now and really glad I gave it another try. So many proper laugh out loud and cringe moments.
    What’s it showing in mate?
  • edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Bit late, but we have just watched first two episodes of Queens Gambit tonight. 

Looks good. 

It's brilliant. 

Was disappointed with The man in Room 301.

If people haven't seen it the Danish film Land of Mine is on BBC4 next Saturday. About German pow's being forced to clear mines at war end before being released. Recommended. 
    Land of Mine really is an excellent movie and comes at the subject from a very different viewpoint. 

Prime video.

worth a bookmark: www.justwatch.com 

Prime video.

worth a bookmark: www.justwatch.com 
    Cheers that bookmark looks great

The first season does have a lot of the same jokes and situations as the British version, but it becomes its own thing after that. 
    A truly excellent show for 6 out of 9 seasons, but really didn’t work half as well after Steve Carell left. Some of the Andy Bernard stuff was just plain awful and the whole Robert California storyline was just idiotic.

The first season does have a lot of the same jokes and situations as the British version, but it becomes its own thing after that. 
    A truly excellent show for 6 out of 9 seasons, but really didn’t work half as well after Steve Carell left. Some of the Andy Bernard stuff was just plain awful and the whole Robert California storyline was just idiotic.
    But by Steve Carell leaving you got D'Angelo 

The whole thing for me is just a vehicle for Dwight K Schrute, its a ballad of comedic excellence. Rainn Wilson was born to play the role. The fire drill episode still gets me and I've seen the whole lot multiple times 

@AFKABartram its on prime and Netflix and also shown on comedy central. 

Can't recommend the experience of the US office enough 
  • Davo55 said:
    We've massively overdone watching TV during lockdown but when the only other excitement is going to buy food it's understandable. We are really enjoying Spiral (French, first series 2005) and Amsterdam Vice (Dutch, recent). I don't much like sub-titles as you lose a lot of the richness of the dialogue, but these are good enough to make that worthwhile.
    Ah good, I was wondering about Amsterdam Vice, will add that. Lucky you , that you are only on series 1 of Spiral. You have seven more to come, and I’m here to tell you that it never flags for a moment. And best of all, if my memory serves me well, you still have not encountered Audrey Fleurot...

• I am currently rewatching Spiral and am just finishing Series 5. Audrey Fleurot is in series 1 @PragueAddick
  • Carter said:
    Not new but 'new' to me-  The Office US.

But by Steve Carell leaving you got D'Angelo 

The whole thing for me is just a vehicle for Dwight K Schrute, its a ballad of comedic excellence. Rainn Wilson was born to play the role. The fire drill episode still gets me and I've seen the whole lot multiple times 

@AFKABartram its on prime and Netflix and also shown on comedy central. 

Can't recommend the experience of the US office enough 
    I’m going back through the US Office at the moment and saw the fire drill episode the other day, the whole episode is fantastic but that opening few minutes is genuinely laugh out loud funny. 

Rainn Wilson is brilliant. 
  • Dwight is without a doubt one of the greatest comic creations in history. So, so many great moments