Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Tv series (REMEMBER: No Spoilers)

Comments

• Also liking Wandavision. Both leads are good actors and also good at comedy, which is a bit of a surprise.
  • Jessie said:
    I downloaded one episode of The Sopranos many years ago but found it hard to get into and gave up after about 20 minutes😂 Probably too slow for me. 
    Ditto. I had no empathy with any of the characters.
  • 2 series we have yet to tackle...The Wire and The Sopranos.

Could someone please give me a heads up where we can find the complete series of both. Thanks.
    The Wire is on Sky Atlantic Fanny xx
    Is that the American version of Babestation?
    Who said punctuation doesn’t matter?
  • Jessie said:
    I downloaded one episode of The Sopranos many years ago but found it hard to get into and gave up after about 20 minutes😂 Probably too slow for me. 
    Same think i missed the boat and its dated now 
  • Croydon said:
    Just finished Behind Her Eyes. What a dreadful ending, utter garbage. First 4 episodes set it up to be decent thriller, and then it's absolute utter pish. 
    Ending was weird but still an entertaining series. Reminded me of The Stranger/ You, all fairly enjoyable without being great either. 
  • Jessie said:
    I think I am right in saying that there are 78 episodes of the Sopranos.

In my opinion for the Sopranos, or indeed any program, you need to start at the very beginning at episode 1. That way you will better understand the program.

The Sopranos is a mafia family. It would help if you understand the structure and the character traits of each individual.

Also the story line often runs over 3 or 4 episodes, If you started watching midway it would be difficult to pick up what was going on.

Try again and you will not be disappointed.
  • Jessie said:
    It's a slow start Jessie, but absolutely worth it. Half the quality is in the complexity of the characters, so you need to get to know them all to properly enjoy it.
  • Sopranos is right up there......

Tony is a very flawed character. He is also a total bastard of a human - but his flaws keep you invested in him. He becomes an extreme version of a 'lovable rogue'.
    It is great writing and production to get the main character to straddle that love/hate theme for so long.

It all changed for me when he (Spolier Alert) - Offs Chris.

That is when he transitioned to a character to hate for me.

Probably my favourite, longstanding long TV series for me. 

Gomorrah is coming up on the rails though.......
  • If you are only going to watch a single episode of the Sopranos, then make sure it's the Pine Barrens.
  • Sponsored links:

• "he was an interior decorator"
  • hawksmoor said:
    If you are only going to watch a single episode of the Sopranos, then make sure it's the Pine Barrens.
    Rewatched this the other night, gold!
  • 2 series we have yet to tackle...The Wire and The Sopranos.

Could someone please give me a heads up where we can find the complete series of both. Thanks.
    The Sopranos is also on Sky Boxsets.

The best TV series ever, hands down!
    Many thanks, Roofie.
  • Croydon said:
    hawksmoor said:
    If you are only going to watch a single episode of the Sopranos, then make sure it's the Pine Barrens.
    Rewatched this the other night, gold!
    He was an interior decorator!
  • Sons of anarchy has to be included in these discussions. I'm slowly plodding through the wire and while some bits seem a bit dated now I can appreciate how ground breaking it would have been at the time. 

I remember there being a glut of programmes people kept telling me to watch. 6 feet under, deadwood, sopranos, the wire and its probably like the global adulation game of thrones received turned some people off, these shows were given such a lot to live up to they invariably disappointed me after 1 episode and I've never given them another chance. 

One I am glad I gave a chance to is homeland. 

The walking dead however has blown me away how such a great, original, tense programme has gone to shit so spectacularly

• Probably going to get absolute pelters for this but I rate the US series in this order: Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos. Apologies in advance.
  • Croydon said:
    Jessie said:
    It's a slow start Jessie, but absolutely worth it. Half the quality is in the complexity of the characters, so you need to get to know them all to properly enjoy it.
    Thanks. I watched the very first episode of the series. Actually I've always been interested in Mafia/gangsters TV series and films. Guess I'll give it another go😉
  • hawksmoor said:
    Probably going to get absolute pelters for this but I rate the US series in this order: Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos. Apologies in advance.
    Perfectly respectable, they are my top 3 for anything with 3 seasons or more. However, I'm going to rewatch Better Call Saul when its complete and I suspect that might take BB's place for me. If they keep up the quality of Succession it also has a good shot.
  • Carter said:
    Sons of anarchy has to be included in these discussions. I'm slowly plodding through the wire and while some bits seem a bit dated now I can appreciate how ground breaking it would have been at the time. 

I remember there being a glut of programmes people kept telling me to watch. 6 feet under, deadwood, sopranos, the wire and its probably like the global adulation game of thrones received turned some people off, these shows were given such a lot to live up to they invariably disappointed me after 1 episode and I've never given them another chance. 

One I am glad I gave a chance to is homeland. 

The walking dead however has blown me away how such a great, original, tense programme has gone to shit so spectacularly

Carter has hit the nail on the head re the old shows. If you are going to watch The Wire & The Sopranos you may find it a bit dated in terms of content as well as picture quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• hawksmoor said:
    Probably going to get absolute pelters for this but I rate the US series in this order: Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos. Apologies in advance.
    Going to run a separate thread on this.
  • Took a break from this thread as I was scared of seeing Gomorrah spoilers but as well as being into S3 of that I've also started the latest series of Unforgotten and Your Honor. Very excited to see where the latter goes.

I tried one episode of Bloodlands but got bored towards the end so not going to continue with it.
  • New series of Last Chance U out today on Netflix - hope it measures up to the previous series.
  • hawksmoor said:
    Agree
  • edited March 2021
    Getting it back on track, I've nearly finished The Terror. Jared Harris is excellent, as he was in Chernobyl. I think all the naval intrigue and atmosphere is very well done. SPOILERS SPOILERS Shame about the bloody CGI monster. It could've been left virtually unseen with far better results, and left maybe as a collective figment owing to the crew-wide poisoning from the canned food.
  • hawksmoor said:
    Getting it back on track, I've nearly finished The Terror. Jared Harris is excellent, as he was in Chernobyl. I think all the naval intrigue and atmosphere is very well done. SPOILERS SPOILERS Shame about the bloody CGI monster. It could've been left virtually unseen with far better results, and left maybe as a collective figment owing to the crew-wide poisoning from the canned food.
    Yep agree entirely. Having read about the real life incident, there was enough torment and suffering there without the CGI monster.
  • New series of Last Chance U out today on Netflix - hope it measures up to the previous series.
    Awesome - thanks for the heads up 
  • se9addick said:
    New series of Last Chance U out today on Netflix - hope it measures up to the previous series.
    Awesome - thanks for the heads up 
    This one is on basketball.
  • Sopranos is right up there......

Tony is a very flawed character. He is also a total bastard of a human - but his flaws keep you invested in him. He becomes an extreme version of a 'lovable rogue'.
    It is great writing and production to get the main character to straddle that love/hate theme for so long.

Took a break from this thread as I was scared of seeing Gomorrah spoilers but as well as being into S3 of that I've also started the latest series of Unforgotten and Your Honor. Very excited to see where the latter goes.

I tried one episode of Bloodlands but got bored towards the end so not going to continue with it.
    Re Gomorrah, series 3 is the high water mark I think, series 4 was all in all pretty disappointing. There’s an episode when Gennaro goes to London which was pretty cool (although some of the stuff he gets up to is pretty far fetched and none of the geography makes any sense) - kind of like the episode in S3 where you see Ciro’s life in Bulgaria.

I’m not too hopeful for the fifth season. 
  • se9addick said:
    Sopranos is right up there......

Took a break from this thread as I was scared of seeing Gomorrah spoilers but as well as being into S3 of that I've also started the latest series of Unforgotten and Your Honor. Very excited to see where the latter goes.

Re Gomorrah, series 3 is the high water mark I think, series 4 was all in all pretty disappointing. There’s an episode when Gennaro goes to London which was pretty cool (although some of the stuff he gets up to is pretty far fetched and none of the geography makes any sense) - kind of like the episode in S3 where you see Ciro’s life in Bulgaria.

I’m not too hopeful for the fifth season. 
    Series 1,2,& 3 of Gomorrah were all good, and I agree that series 4 is weak.
    I only have 2 episodes left of series 4 to watch, but this has not gripped me like the earlier series.