Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options
    Cheers, I'll have to check it out at some point.
  • Options
    I know that pubs are meant to be struggling in the UK, but surely a boozer like The Oak should do okay what with the football and the catchment area it has. If someone can run the place who ain't scared to do a few shifts themselves, I'm convinced that place would do well.
  • Options
    Part of the reason for the long wait to be served in the Royal Oak is not enough punters drinking real ale. A couple of pulls on the handpump and you're away, instead of watching fizzy lager and Guinness slowly dribbling into the glass....
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I was told the other day by someone who pops in there now and again that the Oak will be closing its door finally in November. I don't know how true this is. Cardinal Sin can you try and find out?

Would be sad to see another pub go - chronic in fact. I know I dont go there anymore, along with many other regulars, so its been in a spiral of decline for a long time, ever since that eejit took it over. But still would be sad to see it go.

Can you find out Dave.

B - I have had one pint in there on two occasions in the last two years! I will find out but November would be about the expiry of Ken Ryan's lease, so that might figure. Having tried desperate measures of ad hoc Karaoke and quizzes, the latest marketing effort appear to be a backboard out the front with the legend "use it or lose it." I honestly despair that Ken hasn't managed to put anyone in capable of running a pub. You know, looking at every aspect of it from the Customers viewpoint and giving them what they want. Karaoke and quizzes might drag a few punters in but if the service is poor, the place a mess and the beer hit and and miss, then They have no chance.
  • Options
    Stig said:

maximise matchday revenue by employing six extra bar staff from 1pm til 6pm for the 17 or so weekend home games

Knowing how pubs operate, there's no way they'd pay people for the dead hours in the middle. 1 till 3 and then 4.30 till 6 - take it or leave it.
    Precisely my point - how many (honest) people that you'd actually want working in your pub would be willing to work on an occasional basis in a stressful environment for the minimum wage, then hang around in the middle for two hours earning nothing?

• Options
    Back in its glory days it was rumoured that all the staff were paid 50 quid on match day Saturday. during the game the bar was cleaned and glasses washed. Then they all sat down for a plate of food. Then ready for the post match drinks. God Ii miss those days of the Oak. Lots of fun was had.

Thanks CS. I was chatting to Paul who did try with the quizzes but think its a losing battle. Such a shame.
  • Options
    I know Ray had match days own to a fine art. His record Saturday takings were around the £7000 mark (Newcastle) and £4000 in the Premiership was a poor day. Unfortunately he saw the lunchtime trade die off and then the evenings slacken which made him lose heart. With more and more games moving to Sundays and Monday and kick-off times being varied, Matchday revenue couldn't be guaranteed. He had loyal staff who knew how to graft and he and Penny worked alongside them. Contrast that with clueless wannabes who have followed.
  • Options
    In my experience the place was a cliquey shambles.

If anyone was lucky enough to actually be served it was because they were known to the barstaff.

They obviously didn't want the football trade.
  • Options

Stig said:

maximise matchday revenue by employing six extra bar staff from 1pm til 6pm for the 17 or so weekend home games

Knowing how pubs operate, there's no way they'd pay people for the dead hours in the middle. 1 till 3 and then 4.30 till 6 - take it or leave it.
    Precisely my point - how many (honest) people that you'd actually want working in your pub would be willing to work on an occasional basis in a stressful environment for the minimum wage, then hang around in the middle for two hours earning nothing?

I think you'll find that in the present climate there'll be enough people desperate enough to do anything for a bit of cash in hand.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

If anyone was lucky enough to actually be served it was because they were known to the barstaff.

That was certainly not the case when ray and penny owned the pub.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013

LenGlover said:

That was certainly not the case when ray and penny owned the pub.
    The problems came IMO, when they (not Ray and Pen) started using agency bar staff, I remember one time someone asking for a bitter shandy and the fella behind the jump, who'd clearly never worked in a boozer before, getting it right on the 3rd attempt! Ray and Pen only used local bar staff known to them who done an excellent job. Plus I knew ram too so would get me Stella poured as soon as I walked through the door so they even more excellent!
  • Options
    Don't know if this is the right place for this, but one of the bar staff recently passed away.
    RIP Sonia.
    xxx
  • Options

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but one of the bar staff recently passed away.
    RIP Sonia.
    xxx

Sad to hear that mate

RIP Sonia x
  • Options

RIP Sonia.
    xxx

Oh no I hadnt heard that. Sorry to hear that, always enjoyed Sonya's company. God love her.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about Sonia...Rest In Peace.

The team under Ray and Penny, including Lisa, Alan and Sonia were just top-notch. As Rob mentioned above, they'd be in the middle of pouring your pint as soon as they saw you walk in the door and all of them knew exactly what they were doing and where behind the bar.

Lisa gave me a lift home one night towards the end of Ray and Penny's tenure. She had met the new guy, he seemed OK and they'd all been told there'd be no change and they'd be back next season. I don't know what happened in between, but the clueless lot who have followed put us off completely, very quickly. Don't even mention the "re-furb" which was started as the season kicked off, so closing the pub as the fans came back, and wasn't exactly a success.

An Idiot's Guide on How Not To Run A Pub, if ever one was needed.

I'd miss it under the old team, but been a while since I gave it a second thought and it sadly won't be missed now.
  • Options
    The new guys partner didnt want any women working behind the bar... apparently so they were all jogged on. They wrecked that pub.
  • Options
    More like she didn't want anyone working behind the bar.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

The new guys partner didnt want any women working behind the bar... apparently so they were all jogged on. They wrecked that pub.

HaHa Remember all that well, the politics in the place was halarious for a while. Gotta say I'm friends with both Nat and Clive but it were funny!
  • Options
    Gutted to hear of Sonia's passing, a friend as well as a great barmaid. RIP.

That team under Ray and Penny was second to none, the pre and post match drinks in The Oak were an essential part of match day. Ray used to take delivery of and look after the print run of Goodbye Horse for us. The party in there after the first game back at The Valley ( under Roger at that time ) was the stuff of legend.

Like Mattaddick, some of my happiest memories are linked with Oak in the nineties and early 2000s, used to pop in there lunchtimes a lot when I worked around the corner to meet Chris Parkes and Steve Sutherland for pint, blinding sandwiches too!
  • Options
    "In my experience the place was a cliquey shambles."
    "That was certainly not the case when ray and penny owned the pub. "
    "I knew ram too so would get me Stella poured as soon as I walked through the door so they even more excellent! "
    "they'd be in the middle of pouring your pint as soon as they saw you walk in the door"

The differing views of those in the clique and those not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DRF said:

"In my experience the place was a cliquey shambles."
    "That was certainly not the case when ray and penny owned the pub. "
    "I knew ram too so would get me Stella poured as soon as I walked through the door so they even more excellent! "
    "they'd be in the middle of pouring your pint as soon as they saw you walk in the door"

The differing views of those in the clique and those not!

I think it might be referring to two different eras DRF?

Never believed in cliques myself, only people who make an effort to get along with others, and in the case of pubs, regulars.
  • Options
    Yes assume Len is talking about when the pub was run as a shambles.
  • Options
    Used to love it in the Oak, how so many could squeeze through that doorway i never know. Was always a brilliant buzz about the place on a matchday, and you would see the same groups standing in exactly the same spots every single game.

Going to become a serious problem the lack of home pubs. They play a massive part in supporter identity and its being eroded at an alarming rate.
  • Options

Part of the reason for the long wait to be served in the Royal Oak is not enough punters drinking real ale. A couple of pulls on the handpump and you're away, instead of watching fizzy lager and Guinness slowly dribbling into the glass....

ive always assumed it the other way around.
    a high % of lager drinkers are not fussy about what they drink as long as its cold and gold.
    whereas a high % of real ale drinkers would demand parliament be recalled if the head of their pint is 1mm too big, it's served half a degree too cold or, heaven forbid poured into the wrong glass.
  • Options

a high % of lager drinkers are not fussy about what they drink as long as its cold and gold.
    whereas a high % of real ale drinkers would demand parliament be recalled if the head of their pint is 1mm too big, it's served half a degree too cold or, heaven forbid poured into the wrong glass.
    LOL. Not far from the truth, though of course I am not like that at all...:-D
  • Options

Lagersnob!
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Used to love it in the Oak, how so many could squeeze through that doorway i never know. Was always a brilliant buzz about the place on a matchday, and you would see the same groups standing in exactly the same spots every single game.

Going to become a serious problem the lack of home pubs. They play a massive part in supporter identity and its being eroded at an alarming rate.

Charlton Life should buy it, rent out the rooms above and open it on matchdays only.

And only serve clique members obviously : - )
  • Options

Charlton Life should buy it, make the rooms above into a museum and open it on matchdays only.

• Options

Charlton Life should buy it, rent out the rooms above and open it on matchdays only.

Do you mean rent the rooms by the hour and ship in some Russian birds, that sort of thing?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

RIP Sonia.
    xxx

Oh no I hadnt heard that. Sorry to hear that, always enjoyed Sonya's company. God love her.

Really shocked to hear the news about
    Sonia. RIP Sweetheart xx