Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Curb_it leaves the area.....all the pubs/bars close down.

#justsaying ;o)

Hmmmm thats a very good point!

• Curb_It said:

Curb_it leaves the area.....all the pubs/bars close down.

#justsaying ;o)

Hmmmm thats a very good point!

and probably quite close to the truth B ;)
  • Hearing the White swan has been closed down since tuesday money troubles :-{

Whaat! That is a shame, finding a beer before the game is going to be hard work. Unless we take the Antigallican back - or is that a different thread :-)

• maybe the club could come in with the money. help run the pub? just an idea...
  • maybe the club could come in with the money. help run the pub? just an idea...

I guess the half time queues would look good by comparison....
  • Help For Heroes day down The Oak today if anyones at a loose end after the football
  • Okay popped in the Swan quickly last night and its back open. A new manager has been put in charge at the moment. Not sure how long he is there for but seemed a nice guy.
  • Curb_It said:

Okay popped in the Swan quickly last night and its back open. A new manager has been put in charge at the moment. Not sure how long he is there for but seemed a nice guy.

That's good news
  • Absolutely dead in there last night. Even at 6.30 there was about 12 people inside & 12 outside.

Never ever seen it so empty before a game.
  • Absolutely dead in there last night. Even at 6.30 there was about 12 people inside & 12 outside.

Never ever seen it so empty before a game.

In all fairness there was only about 12 fans in the ground last night so it's hardly a surprise that the pubs were quiet!
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

And if its the same bloke I'm thinking of, acted like a complete arsehole to me and my missus whilst watching the playoff semi final against Swindon. I must have gone about 2 minutes without a pint in my hand before he started ranting and raving.

cafctom - not the same one. That would have been Dermot, who has got his own pub in Richmond now. He was a class act.
    Great bloke, pity he's moved on. Is Kath still there?
    No Kath has retired.
  • cafctom said:

And if its the same bloke I'm thinking of, acted like a complete arsehole to me and my missus whilst watching the playoff semi final against Swindon. I must have gone about 2 minutes without a pint in my hand before he started ranting and raving.

cafctom - not the same one. That would have been Dermot, who has got his own pub in Richmond now. He was a class act.
    Great bloke, pity he's moved on. Is Kath still there?
    No Kath has retired.
    They ran a tight ship. Very good publicians !!

• Was ok in there yesterday. Went there after giving up with the Lib which is really going to struggle with demand this year.

Oak was serving quickly and better atmosphere, they even overcharged AFKA by seven quid which was amusing.
  • spoke to Adele yesterday one one their beer chillers stopped working and one of the staff didnt turn up. I think it will even itself out in there.
    some chat about a bottle bar as well.
  • Hopefully the home fans only element will help alleviate the problem.
  • Personally think that its a plan by the mysterons to shut all local pubs/clubs so we have to go into Crossbars, Bartrums and the bars in The Valley and spend our monies there.
  • Fair play to the staff at the Lib yesterday who were working in difficult conditions, the buckets of beer are a good idea.
  • We went into the ground straight from the Lib, what a mistake. With a bottle of cider at £3.35 a full 40p dearer than a pint is in the Lib and Fosters at £3.75 and sausage roll that had "Guts ache" written all over it. On the plus side we got served quickly and now we know why. Complain? No I didnt,(I didn't see the point) I'll vote with me feet and drink elsewhere.
  • The White Swan service was slow yesterday. Only two behind the bar, ran out of Doombar etc. New landlord will hopefully be better prepared for next game.
  • Whatever happened to Legends Niteclub? Is that between Crossbars and the Sam Bartram Suite?
  • Sponsored links:

• bartrams is only good if you get there early gets so busy, i frequent the we anchor in hope now was lovely on saturday with the weather. pretty funky toilets aswell
  • se9addick said:

Fair play to the staff at the Lib yesterday who were working in difficult conditions, the buckets of beer are a good idea.

service in there is a nightmare after about 1.30, think I might have to reconsider where I drink.

• Plenty of other pubs within a 15 minute walk
  • British Oak for me everytime, shame it's a bit of a walk from the ground though.
  • Definitely the busiest I've ever seen The Lib after the game and getting the first beer in was a nightmare, did thin out abit after about an hour though.
  • se9addick said:

Fair play to the staff at the Lib yesterday who were working in difficult conditions, the buckets of beer are a good idea.

It was not your birthday on Saturday was it

• Rose of Denmark all day long
  • bartrams is only good if you get there early gets so busy, i frequent the we anchor in hope now was lovely on saturday with the weather. pretty funky toilets aswell

After the game we sometimes walk past the Anchor & Hope and along the riverside path - on Saturday past a dredger unloading sand on to conveyors at Angerstein Wharf - to the Pilot on the Greenwich peninsula. It's a Fuller's tied house, so the ale is always in top nick. Refreshing Chiswick Bitter if it's on; otherwise a few pints of tasty London Pride, finishing with a flourish on the strong and fruity Extra Special Bitter.

• robroy said:

Rose of Denmark all day long

That's a dreadful length of time to queue!

a dredger unloading sand on to conveyors at Angerstein Wharf
    I bet it was more entertaining than the match