Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options

The problem for me would not be the half hour walk itself but would not be able to walk for that period of time after being in a pub without needing a piss

Ha Ha, know what you mean, but 1/2 hour ain't that long....though it depends on how much you've had, you could always stop of at the Bugle on route aswell.
  • Options
    The Rose of Denmark, was not to good on Friday. The new management seemed surprised by the numbers turning up. I got there 6:30pm and it took 15mins to get served, must have been worse 15mins later. The Old management had pints pulled and waiting to go, this lot did not and did not have enough staff o in the circumstances.
  • Options
    Anchor in Hope, every time. On matchdays and non matchdays its hard to beat.
  • Options

Used to go in there fairly regularly when I lived in Eltham, very handy when doing a Thames Path walk/bike ride...and your right a nice pub as well.
  • Options
    Service at The Royal Oak is a joke. They serve people who have just arrived sooner than those standing their for ages. That's the sort of thing that starts punch-ups. I have given up on the place.
  • Options
    Anchor in Hope for me too. Always try the Royal Oak if a bit rushed, but apart from the odd freak occasion I end up waiting forever whilst the "usuals" get topped up at will.
  • Options

Might start going here pre game, what's the walking time from there to the ground like ?
  • Options
    Sounds a real shame not been in there for about 7/8 years used to be in there at lunch times for about 15 years had some great leaving do's in there!
  • Options
    About 10 to 15 minutes amble. Definitely the nicest pub in the area, decent food, quick surface. Was stood outside on Friday after the game and a rat scurried over my foot. Failed to volley it into the Thames, which is a shame as it was the spits of Freedman
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    for the first time in years i got served straight away. waiting for me to walk through the door and i got "what would you like sir?"

had a couple of blokes behind the bar who seemed to know what they were doing. not overly packed mind you but still, i couldn’t believe it,
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Likely venue for CAS Trust SGM :)
  • Options
    Definite improvement over the past few home games.

Even had pre poured beer.
  • Options
    Might be an idea to have one in there pre Millwall if we're not allowed to walk down Floyd road as planned.
  • Options
    I was told the other day by someone who pops in there now and again that the Oak will be closing its door finally in November. I don't know how true this is. Cardinal Sin can you try and find out?

Would be sad to see another pub go - chronic in fact. I know I dont go there anymore, along with many other regulars, so its been in a spiral of decline for a long time, ever since that eejit took it over. But still would be sad to see it go.

Can you find out Dave.

• Options
    I gave up last year, having to wait 20 mins for a beer was a joke.
  • Options
    Shame, if true, I suspect it is though.
    Bar full of people on a saturday afternoon and 2/3 serving, how long can you run a pub like that?
  • Options
    Takes so long to get a beer in The Royal Oak that I admitted defeat. Now we stand nearby with a can from the corner shop.
  • Options

Shame, if true, I suspect it is though.
    Bar full of people on a saturday afternoon and 2/3 serving, how long can you run a pub like that?

Obviously not for long. If the owners can't see that then they don't deserve a successful business.

• Options
    Very occasionally the question would crop up: "when are you most happiest?" and I would answer "about ten past five on a Saturday in November in The Royal Oak with a pint of Guinness in my hand, celebrating a home win." For a time the atmosphere in there was unbeatable and there was a real sense of a Charlton community. Two things changed: Ray leaving and then our relegation from the Premiership. It hasn't been the same pub since.
  • Options
    In the right hands (freehold) that could make a good pub with good profit potentual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's say you owned the pub and decided to maximise matchday revenue by employing six extra bar staff from 1pm til 6pm for the 17 or so weekend home games.

In reality how easy is it to find that many trustworthy and competent people who are in turn so desperate for an extra say £30-40 that they will give up part of their weekend to earn it?

Moreover given your Saturday wage bill has just gone up by more than £200, then you need to be generating at least this much in additional profit which otherwise would have been foregone (adjusting also for the fact that casual staff are more likely to 'forget' to run a few pints through the till etc.).

Not sure it's actually such a good investment to take on more matchday staff in truth.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    how about during peak on those days you adopt a revolutionary system for pouring pints (pre pouring perhaps?) and focus on your primary sales of lager and ale, maybe put self serve fizzy pop machines somewhere for the lightweights, etc, and price everything in £1s and 50p to make change easier

maybe even sell direct from the barrels out back too

:)
  • Options
    The answer is to purchase the beer and cider backpacks which dispense anywhere you want

So you have 1 person outside the front and one in the back garden

The bar is then used for those who want it

Dont understand why more places dont use them especially if they have real days of peak customers

The problem with pubs is they dont think outside the box

I was in the hufflers arms in dartford sat and the way we were treated and the atmosphere in the boozer was old school first class and if i was to ever run a boozer it would be how the lsnd lady did there

She had a cracking band cracking crowd a late booze and not a whiff of trouble and no delay in service

• Options

The answer is to purchase the beer and cider backpacks which dispense anywhere you want

So you have 1 person outside the front and one in the back garden

The bar is then used for those who want it

Dont understand why more places dont use them especially if they have real days of peak customers

The problem with pubs is they dont think outside the box

I was in the hufflers arms in dartford sat and the way we were treated and the atmosphere in the boozer was old school first class and if i was to ever run a boozer it would be how the lsnd lady did there

She had a cracking band cracking crowd a late booze and not a whiff of trouble and no delay in service

100% agree on the backpacks NLA. I just can't understand why they don't use them at The Valley to make the queues shorter.
  • Options

maximise matchday revenue by employing six extra bar staff from 1pm til 6pm for the 17 or so weekend home games

Knowing how pubs operate, there's no way they'd pay people for the dead hours in the middle. 1 till 3 and then 4.30 till 6 - take it or leave it.
  • Options
    They could always convert the bins out the front:

• Options
    NLA, where is the Huffler's Arms? I live in Dartford but haven't heard of it.
  • Options
    All this talk on here this week about "old school" this and "proper" that....place is starting to sound like a Millwall forum!

;)
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

NLA, where is the Huffler's Arms? I live in Dartford but haven't heard of it.

Round the back of B&Q, by the roundabout, on the same road as The Phoenix.
  • Options
    Thats the place proper proper old school british boozer the way they accomodated 20+ half pissed blokes on a night they were rammo packed out already so we were not the main cash cow was unreal

I will be heading back there to say thank u very soon

Brilliant hosting by the landlady and staff