Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Royal Oak

Comments

• lib was great, loads of room and easy to get served.

Got chatting to one of the committee who was selling raffle tickets.  They've got lots of plans to renovate the place which as even he admitted it badly needs.

Was that Dave?

I used to be on the committee there (secretary) and I did a business plan for a refurb about 10 years ago, for some reason it never happened

Didn't get his name.  Squat, stocky guy. Decorator.
    Sounds like Eddie or Vince
  • I gave up using this pub earlier in the season and swore never to go back!

The landlord has no idea about how to keep his beer, which invariably tastes like vinegar.  In addition, you usually have to wait around 15 minutes to get served (as everyone else has mentioned) and, to add insult to injury, have to pay top "West End" prices.  In short, when you eventually get served, you pay well over the odds for an inferior product.

• I heard you the first tme.
  • Increasingly I find the Anchor in Hope pub enjoyable.

Lovely views, room for everyone to spread out if its not raining, well kept beers, good prices, child friendly if they can be chained up outside by the river and reasonably quick service.

Tip top

• I was in the Anchor for an hour or so yesterday.  Lovely lovely pub. And if you are looking for a gut busting roast dinner then Sunday afternoons down there is the place. Absolute mammoth plate of food for 9 quid and always live singing from 5 onwards.  No better pub in the area on a sunday afternoon for entertainment. 

• I was in the Anchor for an hour or so yesterday.  Lovely lovely pub. And if you are looking for a gut busting roast dinner then Sunday afternoons down there is the place. Absolute mammoth plate of food for 9 quid and always live singing from 5 onwards.  No better pub in the area on a sunday afternoon for entertainment. 

Only ever used it in the summer, in fact I have seen you there on a few Sundays in the past I think, mammoth sessions they used to be.
  • lib was great, loads of room and easy to get served.

Got chatting to one of the committee who was selling raffle tickets.  They've got lots of plans to renovate the place which as even he admitted it badly needs.

Was that Dave?

I used to be on the committee there (secretary) and I did a business plan for a refurb about 10 years ago, for some reason it never happened

Didn't get his name.  Squat, stocky guy. Decorator.
    Sounds like Eddie or Vince
    It was Vince.
  • I think alot of it is shear numbers fo people. Before it was refurbished the Horse and Groom was still there and  alot of the people from there now drink in the Oak. Realistically 1 pub trying to serve the same amount of people usually cattered for by 2.  That said crowds are not as big so maybe not quite as many.
  • A pub wrecked by greedy and clueless landlords.  it went downhill after Ray and Penny left.  Very sad to see.

THIS! (First time I've said that on here!! ;-)  )

He let all the old staff down as well. Spoke with Lisa at the end of the previous season and sounds like the staff were all sold a great story only for none of them to be there when he eventually got round to opening the next season.  Despite the crush, that team of staff were always on the ball and you'd be served straight away.  Unfortunately, the new bod brought in a load of staff who didn't have a clue how to pour a pint between them and we gave up after a few weeks.  The "decor upgrade/rebuild" didn't really do it any favours either.  A real shame, to lose a decent pub!!

• I think alot of it is shear numbers fo people. Before it was refurbished the Horse and Groom was still there and  alot of the people from there now drink in the Oak. Realistically 1 pub trying to serve the same amount of people usually cattered for by 2.  That said crowds are not as big so maybe not quite as many.
    So your point is?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2011

I went in last Monday early doors & it took a fair while to be served & I was the only one waiting !

A mate told me, that a few years ago, just after the refurb, he was drinking in there & a bloke came up to him & asked him what he thought of the refurb.

He answered honestly, as you would, but without swearing & being too uncomplementary.

Basically, saying that he thought the colour scheme wasn't the best & was disappointed that the Charlton memorabilia had all gone.

The geezer then told him that he was the owner & a QPR fan & promptly threw him out. Literally manhandled him out !

Apart from The Anchor I think all the pubs in Charlton give apalling service. They're all like Basil Fawlty !

NB White Swan is now looking good after the refurb.

• A mate told me, that a few years ago, just after the refurb, he was drinking in there & a bloke came up to him & asked him what he thought of the refurb.

He answered honestly, as you would, but without swearing & being too uncomplementary.

Basically, saying that he thought the colour scheme wasn't the best & was disappointed that the Charlton memorabilla had all gone.

The geezer then told him that he was the owner & a QPR fan & promptly threw him out. Literally manhandled him out !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it seems that your mate was either confused or lying then!

• Because the bloke in there isn't the biggest Football fan and he's not QPR either. And there is still a few Charlton bits in there.

• This was just after the refurb. Not now. He hasn't been in there since. He may have been p*ssed as it was after a game, but nothing else.
  • The owner after Ray and Penny was a QPR fan.  He was the start of the demise of the Royal Oak, the one that carried out the ridiculous refurb and ruined the whole character of the pub.
  • The owner after Ray and Penny was a QPR fan.  He was the start of the demise of the Royal Oak, the one that carried out the ridiculous refurb and ruined the whole character of the pub.

As well as carrying out Charlton fans  :-)
    So your point is?
    Maybe the pubs just not big enough to cope with the shear amount of people.
  • Think it's fair to say most of the H crowd relocated to the Cons. 

Last time I went into the Oak they were struggling with beers, think they may have run out at one point. 
  • Was in Royal Oak before Hudds, thought it was ok, decent staff, handy area for a fag & pretty good service (mind you arrived at 6 and left at 7)
  • Sponsored links:

• Yet again, when they had a chance to step up to the plate, the service in the oak let us down today. Appalling and the only downer on a great day. Must have taken 20+ minutes to get served.
  • I gave The Oak a go on Tuesday and it was quiet, went sraight up to the bar, only a couple of people waiting to be served and it still took 10 minutes to be served. I don't think I'll bother again until some one tells me the staff have been retrained on how to serve eg you don't fondle the glass while you are filling it with lager or guiness, you just leave the glass and pour something else whilst it fills up by itself.

I imagine 20 minutes was quite quick having been there in previous seasons when it has been rammed. Did you push in or are you dating the barmaid?
  • Waited about 20 minutes to be served yesterday and gave up, went to the liberal club instead.
    Fed up with bar staff just turning back from the till and asking who's next, then its just a clamour of brandished tenners. Rose of Denmark was like that last time too.

So good to see a queuing system in the Lib, got served way faster. The Charlton pubs have lost my trade, I'll do my pre-match beers at London Bridge and come down later from now on.
  • It's not rocket science. Keep the punters happy, they'll come back again. Perform like yesterday, and they'll stay away. All they needed was maybe 2 extra members of staff, and have each member of staff serving their own small section of the bar. I'm no businessman, but that seems simple to me!
  • had a drink in the newbridge ciu club before the match.
    only a 20 minute walk from the ground and we were the only football customers in there.
  • Never the same since Ray and Penny left the Royal Oak. Gave up on the oak just before Xmas. The barstaff and who ever is in charge of the place are completely useless and ruined what once was a decent pub
  • Who's running it these days ?
    It was that mousey blond haired lady about 40 & her grey haired bloke. However, I haven't seen them for a while. If they've gone, why & who's in charge now ?
  • Frank Spencer and his wife I think
  • Worst bar staff I have ever seen. They take an age with each order, and don't have the wit (or are simply just too bloody lazy) to take other orders while they are serving and keep the beer flowing. Pathetic. If I was running that pub I'd sack the lot of them. They must be costing the pub a fortune because people are giving up with it.
  • It's getting worse. It's almost at the point now where it has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. I've been a pre-match drinker in there for 20 years but after today I think it's going to be Floyds for me from now on.