Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

1131415161719»

Comments

• Options
    Any git nicks ours I'll just hand the OB our dogs DNA, the bastards will be covered in it and they'll be locked up in no time. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    Mad how we're back to steering locks on cars. A key technology upgrade, that nobody asked for, is now a huge backward step for car security.
    And solved a problem that wasn’t there anyway.
    On my Land Rover Defender (a proper one, not the new one) I have a steering wheel bar, metal box that goes over the pedals, and a wheel clamp - added to that I always park my wife’s Mini in front of the Defender on our drive

At one point the old Defenders were the most stolen vehicles in the country I believe
    Fucking hate our Defender (13 plate) I want it nicked , utter shit gears and need Steve Thompson’s  legs to push the clutch down 
    gonna take the father in laws last millennium one which is ten times easier to drive .

If your clutch is like that, check the clutch fluid level in the slave cylinder in the engine bay - should be at the top of the engine at the back behind steering wheel - prone to leaking, need topping up regularly - simply unscrew plastic lid and top up - check your Manuel, as you have to use right type of fluid

I love my Defender - yes has all the annoying issues you get with a Land Rover, but I feel like king of the road in it, and off road / wading, it’s superb
    Cheers Lord , apparently a neighbour said something about removing a spring from the clutch , that's what he done to his and it helped .
    I'm never driving it again so the mrs (who loves it oooooerrrrrr) can do what she wants with it but will pass info on , I'm beyond clueless with motors
    Don’t know about that spring - sounds a bit dodgy - I wouldn’t remove parts that the manufacturer has designed / put in the vehicle 

The clutch failed on my Defender in March (it had done a lot of miles) - it’s a major job to fix, as the gearbox has to come out

Don’t know where you are based, but there is an excellent Land Rover garage near Birchwood Golf Course near Swanley called Dakar - I have used them, and they are excellent (did my clutch) 

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new Defender - the old ones are just a bit too agricultural for me (fun to drive off road, though).
    Outrageous !!!

Wash your mouth out - it’s not a Defender in any way shape or form 😉

I’m not a fan - seems to me to be a Discovery in different clothes - but I suspect I am in the minority 

It may be a bit too comfy for the old Defender brigade, although it does seem to be a genuine off-roader rather than soft-roader.

My old back can't take the punishment now and I need air suspension!!
    Get a G Wagon bob.
    They are F’ing ugly expensive !!!

With you on that one - the prices are crazy - even 1980’s models are generally over £25k

On a separate note, lady in my road has a 1980’s Jeep Wrangler - shocking vehicle - spends more time being repaired than driven - off road capability is rubbish as well
  • Options
    Another security device you can use that is cheap and easy to fit is a Discarnect, about a fiver a fitted to the battery.  Also, one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FQNQ1L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_J898MWH5X6ECN2V103GR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Put a cheap SIM in it and it'll last for months on one charge and can be stashed anywhere with the strong magnet that's in it
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:
    Mad how we're back to steering locks on cars. A key technology upgrade, that nobody asked for, is now a huge backward step for car security.
    On my Land Rover Defender (a proper one, not the new one) I have a steering wheel bar, metal box that goes over the pedals, and a wheel clamp - added to that I always park my wife’s Mini in front of the Defender on our drive

At one point the old Defenders were the most stolen vehicles in the country I believe
    Fucking hate our Defender (13 plate) I want it nicked , utter shit gears and need Steve Thompson’s  legs to push the clutch down 
    gonna take the father in laws last millennium one which is ten times easier to drive .

If your clutch is like that, check the clutch fluid level in the slave cylinder in the engine bay - should be at the top of the engine at the back behind steering wheel - prone to leaking, need topping up regularly - simply unscrew plastic lid and top up - check your Manuel, as you have to use right type of fluid

I love my Defender - yes has all the annoying issues you get with a Land Rover, but I feel like king of the road in it, and off road / wading, it’s superb
    Cheers Lord , apparently a neighbour said something about removing a spring from the clutch , that's what he done to his and it helped .
    I'm never driving it again so the mrs (who loves it oooooerrrrrr) can do what she wants with it but will pass info on , I'm beyond clueless with motors
    Don’t know about that spring - sounds a bit dodgy - I wouldn’t remove parts that the manufacturer has designed / put in the vehicle 

The clutch failed on my Defender in March (it had done a lot of miles) - it’s a major job to fix, as the gearbox has to come out

Don’t know where you are based, but there is an excellent Land Rover garage near Birchwood Golf Course near Swanley called Dakar - I have used them, and they are excellent (did my clutch) 

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new Defender - the old ones are just a bit too agricultural for me (fun to drive off road, though).
    Outrageous !!!

I’m not a fan - seems to me to be a Discovery in different clothes - but I suspect I am in the minority 

It may be a bit too comfy for the old Defender brigade, although it does seem to be a genuine off-roader rather than soft-roader.

Get a G Wagon bob.

With you on that one - the prices are crazy - even 1980’s models are generally over £25k

On a separate note, lady in my road has a 1980’s Jeep Wrangler - shocking vehicle - spends more time being repaired than driven - off road capability is rubbish as well

If you're looking for reliability and pretty much go anywhere capability then a Land Cruiser comes into the equation.

Pathetic I know - but if I did get a new Defender it would be unlikely to go off-road to any extent beyond a grass verge, I just think they look good!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

Outrageous !!!

Get a G Wagon bob.

If you're looking for reliability and pretty much go anywhere capability then a Land Cruiser comes into the equation.

Pathetic I know - but if I did get a new Defender it would be unlikely to go off-road to any extent beyond a grass verge, I just think they look good!
    Sadly it’s the Land Cruiser which started the demise of the Defender - until the Land Cruiser came along, Land Rover dominated the market in places like Australia, something like 90% of 4x4 sold there - within a few years after the Land Cruiser, Land Rovers had fallen to sub 10% of sales - failure to keep up in terms of comfort and reliability did them

Bloody British Leyland !!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

Outrageous !!!

Get a G Wagon bob.

I have always preferred a Mini Cooper.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

Outrageous !!!

You’re right , father in law test drove the new Defender (why not call it something different it’s nowhere near a Defender)
    I had a go and it’s just like our Discovery but not as nice , I’m not keen on either tbh 

my wife and her family love the old Defenders and she was telling me some billionaire yank tried to buy the name and rights of Defender off Land Rover but they wouldn’t have it but he’s gonna go ahead and produce something similar himself 
  • Options
    ads said:
    Another security device you can use that is cheap and easy to fit is a Discarnect, about a fiver a fitted to the battery.  Also, one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071FQNQ1L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_J898MWH5X6ECN2V103GR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Put a cheap SIM in it and it'll last for months on one charge and can be stashed anywhere with the strong magnet that's in it
    The light bug is similar and smaller to hide with fantastic battery life

https://thelightbug.com

• Options
    @oohaahmortimer - think that's the Ineos Grenadier you're talking about https://ineosgrenadier.com/en-gb

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Will try and pop into the pub on Friday if there's time before kick-off. Hopefully some bar snacks on offer
  • Options
    A bunch of us will be there.
  • Options
    Isn't this thread now about Land Rovers?
  • Options
    Good point - get back on topic lads 😉
  • Options
    Just sold my Discovery  :)
  • Options
    Good point - get back on topic lads 😉
    Land Rover to landlord.
  • Options
    sad that so many have them 
  • Options

I'm just curious as to how many of them have actually had any mud on them. Or been driven on anything that remotely resembles what they were actually designed for.
  • Options

I'm just curious as to how many of them have actually had any mud on them. Or been driven on anything that remotely resembles what they were actually designed for.
    Well mine has !!

Great fun
  • Options
    Anybody know if the Doombar is back on, at the Royal Oak.

Humble apologies for talking on post!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anybody know if the Doombar is back on, at the Royal Oak.

Humble apologies for talking on post!
    No, it's not. :)