Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    Just putting this out there. Others will have seen Kevin's post on social media (I don't know him really well but we have a lot of mutual friends).

Kevin's car was stolen at 04.20am from outside the Royal Oak this morning.

Land Rover (not sure what model).
  • Options
    Land Rover sport, grey.

Sadly without a tracker very few get recovered, LR are now the most stolen cars by quite some margin.
  • Options
    scumbags - lots of car theft in that area it seems
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Mad how we're back to steering locks on cars. A key technology upgrade, that nobody asked for, is now a huge backward step for car security.
    And solved a problem that wasn’t there anyway.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Mad how we're back to steering locks on cars. A key technology upgrade, that nobody asked for, is now a huge backward step for car security.
    On my Land Rover Defender (a proper one, not the new one) I have a steering wheel bar, metal box that goes over the pedals, and a wheel clamp - added to that I always park my wife’s Mini in front of the Defender on our drive

At one point the old Defenders were the most stolen vehicles in the country I believe
  • Options
    Surely the stolen vehicle had a tracker on it or did that get binned when nicked 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’ve got a Discovery......bit worried about this information!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    On my Land Rover Defender (a proper one, not the new one) I have a steering wheel bar, metal box that goes over the pedals, and a wheel clamp - added to that I always park my wife’s Mini in front of the Defender on our drive

At one point the old Defenders were the most stolen vehicles in the country I believe
    Fucking hate our Defender (13 plate) I want it nicked , utter shit gears and need Steve Thompson’s  legs to push the clutch down 
    gonna take the father in laws last millennium one which is ten times easier to drive .

If your clutch is like that, check the clutch fluid level in the slave cylinder in the engine bay - should be at the top of the engine at the back behind steering wheel - prone to leaking, need topping up regularly - simply unscrew plastic lid and top up - check your Manuel, as you have to use right type of fluid

I love my Defender - yes has all the annoying issues you get with a Land Rover, but I feel like king of the road in it, and off road / wading, it’s superb
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Fucking hate our Defender (13 plate) I want it nicked , utter shit gears and need Steve Thompson’s  legs to push the clutch down 
    gonna take the father in laws last millennium one which is ten times easier to drive .

If your clutch is like that, check the clutch fluid level in the slave cylinder in the engine bay - should be at the top of the engine at the back behind steering wheel - prone to leaking, need topping up regularly - simply unscrew plastic lid and top up - check your Manuel, as you have to use right type of fluid

I love my Defender - yes has all the annoying issues you get with a Land Rover, but I feel like king of the road in it, and off road / wading, it’s superb
    Is your Manuel written in Spanish?
    “I can speak English, I learn it from a book.” 🤣
    Fuck - didn’t notice that 😳
  • Options
    Surely the stolen vehicle had a tracker on it or did that get binned when nicked 
    It would have had one as standard but most people don't want to pay the annual fee so don't bother. Pretty useless unless you see it getting nicked anyway as LR always put them in the same place so take 30 seconds to remove it.
  • Options
    Several Discoverys nicked in Westcombe Park area over the last few weeks...mine is the 'sport' version and am hoping nobody wants that too... (still use a steering lock and keep the keys well away from the front of the house though...)
  • Options
    I’ve got a Discovery......bit worried about this information!
    Get a steering lock minimum, DiscLock is best, but anything is better than nothing.
  • Options
    Seems like a daily occurrence in Chislehurst that at least one of them gets stolen.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Several Discoverys nicked in Westcombe Park area over the last few weeks...mine is the 'sport' version and am hoping nobody wants that too... (still use a steering lock and keep the keys well away from the front of the house though...)
    Get on the internet and look up Discovery pedal locks - they are a metal box that you put over the pedals in the footwell, which locks up, preventing driving - made from tough steel, these combined with a disklock on the steering wheel, would make stealing the car much more difficult due to the time it would take to cut them out

I have a pedal box on my Defender - quick and easy to use 

You can also get devices that go over the gear lever and handbrake
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    It would have had one as standard but most people don't want to pay the annual fee so don't bother. Pretty useless unless you see it getting nicked anyway as LR always put them in the same place so take 30 seconds to remove it.
    my car insurers wont insure without one 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Cheers Lord , apparently a neighbour said something about removing a spring from the clutch , that's what he done to his and it helped .
    I'm never driving it again so the mrs (who loves it oooooerrrrrr) can do what she wants with it but will pass info on , I'm beyond clueless with motors
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Cheers Lord , apparently a neighbour said something about removing a spring from the clutch , that's what he done to his and it helped .
    I'm never driving it again so the mrs (who loves it oooooerrrrrr) can do what she wants with it but will pass info on , I'm beyond clueless with motors
    Don’t know about that spring - sounds a bit dodgy - I wouldn’t remove parts that the manufacturer has designed / put in the vehicle 

The clutch failed on my Defender in March (it had done a lot of miles) - it’s a major job to fix, as the gearbox has to come out

Don’t know where you are based, but there is an excellent Land Rover garage near Birchwood Golf Course near Swanley called Dakar - I have used them, and they are excellent (did my clutch) 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Don’t know about that spring - sounds a bit dodgy - I wouldn’t remove parts that the manufacturer has designed / put in the vehicle 

The clutch failed on my Defender in March (it had done a lot of miles) - it’s a major job to fix, as the gearbox has to come out

Don’t know where you are based, but there is an excellent Land Rover garage near Birchwood Golf Course near Swanley called Dakar - I have used them, and they are excellent (did my clutch) 

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new Defender - the old ones are just a bit too agricultural for me (fun to drive off road, though).
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

I'm seriously thinking of getting a new Defender - the old ones are just a bit too agricultural for me (fun to drive off road, though).
    Outrageous !!!

Wash your mouth out - it’s not a Defender in any way shape or form 😉

I’m not a fan - seems to me to be a Discovery in different clothes - but I suspect I am in the minority 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

Outrageous !!!

I’m not a fan - seems to me to be a Discovery in different clothes - but I suspect I am in the minority 

It may be a bit too comfy for the old Defender brigade, although it does seem to be a genuine off-roader rather than soft-roader.

My old back can't take the punishment now and I need air suspension!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

Outrageous !!!

It may be a bit too comfy for the old Defender brigade, although it does seem to be a genuine off-roader rather than soft-roader.

Get a G Wagon bob.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Croydon said:

Outrageous !!!

Get a G Wagon bob.
    They are F’ing expensive !!!