Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options
    That's a real shame.

Used to love going down the Oak to meet the boys for a few before the game. Haven't really been in there since they ran out of beer before a game once (was it Palace?)
  • Options
    It's getting worse. It's almost at the point now where it has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. I've been a pre-match drinker in there for 20 years but after today I think it's going to be Floyds for me from now on.
    Finally gave up with the Oak half way through this season. It was the sheer lack of customer service (for a pub) that got totally on my nerves. Go in Clanceys before games and the White Swan afterwards.
  • Options
    Just once, I'd like to be served a pint where I don't have to ask them to top it up.

• Options
    went in today for the first time this season
    Was not the best
    4 staff bunched together in that huge bar, leaving unhappy punters all around
  • Options
    Just once, I'd like to be served a pint where I don't have to ask them to top it up.

Glad I'm not the only one who does this. I'm perplexed by people who are too embarrassed to ask.
  • Options
    It's getting worse. It's almost at the point now where it has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. I've been a pre-match drinker in there for 20 years but after today I think it's going to be Floyds for me from now on.
    Finally gave up with the Oak half way through this season. It was the sheer lack of customer service (for a pub) that got totally on my nerves. Go in Clanceys before games and the White Swan afterwards.
    I go in there for the evenings games as it's more convenient. The Yeovil game at about 17.30, it was pretty empty & there were 2 bints just chatting behind the bar, completely ignoring me. I waited a good few minutes, just to see whether they would bother to see if anyone was waiting. They didn't. I apologised for interupting their conversation & even then they didn't seem the least bit embarassed. Poor show.
  • Options
    Stopped going here ages ago due to poor beer, poor customer service and plastic glasses. Rose of Denmark is the pub. So fast to get served, decent beer and some good banter with the away support.
  • Options
    New landlady! Danielle has, er, been asked to leave.......8 or 9 staff on tonight apparently.
  • Options
    GD78 said:

New landlady! Danielle has, er, been asked to leave.......8 or 9 staff on tonight apparently.

Too late.
    The damage has already been done. Too many bridges have been burnt, and much better alternatives have been found.

• Options

Rose of Denmark is by far the best pub to get served in, no plastic glasses and decent beer. Will never go back to the oak

Take note NSS

Personally prefer the British Oak.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last evening game The Guinness was undrinkable.
  • Options
    When bar staff had to ask me what a pint of bitter was i gave up.Drink now in Greenwich or Anchor and Hope down by the river......Roger and Gwen now that was how apub should be run.Can tell you afew tales about time spent in there on many a happy night.
  • Options

When bar staff had to ask me what a pint of bitter was i gave up.Drink now in Greenwich or Anchor and Hope down by the river......Roger and Gwen now that was how apub should be run.Can tell you afew tales about time spent in there on many a happy night.

And Roger was a Palace fan!
  • Options

Rose of Denmark is by far the best pub to get served in, no plastic glasses and decent beer. Will never go back to the oak

Take note NSS

ROD is under new management but still seems ok, although plastic glasses do seem to be the order of the day
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Take note NSS
    ROD is under new management but still seems ok, although plastic glasses do seem to be the order of the day

Only been in the RoD a couple of times, the last time I went in there it was overun with Pompey, though I must say they were a decent bunch and were mixing with the Charlton that were in there.
  • Options
    British oak very good but still some distance away
  • Options
    Even with so many staff the service is still inept
  • Options
    What's wrong with The Bugle Horn ? Quick service, loads of room (outside) and a well kept pint of Youngs.
  • Options
    The Oak was fine last night.

Best pint I've had in there for at least two seasons, plus they didn't run out.

Surprised at the space available now the pool table has gone and enough staff ( who I hope get quicker as they learn the ropes!)
  • Options
    The Royal Oak last night before the game was terrible. It's been getting bad for a while now. Last night was the worst. I queued for about 30 minutes and gave up, having still not reached the bar. After the game it was better, but only because there were less customers to ignore. Next home game I am either going to the shop across the road and buy alcohol and stand outside the pub with friends or go straight to the ground with a large bottle 'doctored' coca cola. I could probably go to other pubs but would be going out of my way and to be honest are things any better at these other establishment. Also I have given up going down to the Upper North bar at half time because of poor service. It's enough to make you take the pledge/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was it or wasn't it?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

The Oak was fine last night.

And ......

The Royal Oak last night before the game was terrible.

You need informed opinion? Try Charlton Life.

;o)
  • Options
    To be fair, I got in there early. Addickted Junior got a round in just before 7pm and we were surprised how quick he got served.

When I left at about 7.30pm it seemed half empty though there were loads of people drinking from cans outside.
  • Options
    Don't mind the Oak, larger's got better
  • Options
    Pico said:

What's wrong with The Bugle Horn ? Quick service, loads of room (outside) and a well kept pint of Youngs.

That's a contentious one. Went in there regularly until about 3/4 years back when the glasses started getting very dirty (wipe on shirt dirty) and I got pretty Ill one evening.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
  • Options
    If you're a "face" you get served in The Oak pretty quick!
  • Options
    Such a shame what happened to that pub. I used to love it pre-match in there back in the day. It didn't even enter my head as somewhere to go yesterday.
  • Options

The Royal Oak last night before the game was terrible. It's been getting bad for a while now. Last night was the worst. I queued for about 30 minutes and gave up, having still not reached the bar. After the game it was better, but only because there were less customers to ignore. Next home game I am either going to the shop across the road and buy alcohol and stand outside the pub with friends or go straight to the ground with a large bottle 'doctored' coca cola. I could probably go to other pubs but would be going out of my way and to be honest are things any better at these other establishment. Also I have given up going down to the Upper North bar at half time because of poor service. It's enough to make you take the pledge/

Try The British Oak...usually get served straight away, decent beer, the down side is that it's a good 1/2 hour walk from the ground, not an issue for me (unless it's pissing down) but might be an issue for those that don't like a bit of a walk or for those unable to walk that kind of distance.
  • Options
    The problem for me would not be the half hour walk itself but would not be able to walk for that period of time after being in a pub without needing a piss