Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Very good game. Ten out of ten first half, bit shakier in the second. Familiar tale. If Wednesday had got one of their late chances for an undeserved draw it would be a very different thread.
  • Options
    I couldn't even bring myself to give player ratings after the Brighton game
    BUT, that depression has been lifted, well and truly
    I think every player out there gave 100% and it showed what they are capable of
    Like to see PP build on this now, with confidence levels definately on the up
    Well done lads, you done us proud.

Now can we have a cup run please?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]bit shakier in the second.

Until PP brought Martin on and then I think the tide turned back in our favour
  • Options
    An excellent first half - we broke with pace and numbers. Racon had his best game for a long time - was furthter forward and more influential. Benson and Ansiyah looked like a good partnership - Ansiyah's pace separated their two centre halves and didn't give them a momen't peace all game. Wagstaff took his goal very well and was unlucky with the shot with his standing foot (MOG take note about his left foot!).

Docherty struggled a little and our centre of defence worried me at times. Thought it was Francis' best game for us and Fry will be a very good player.

Semedo was strong and Jackson solid and Robbie did everything asked of him - however I did think it was a penalty that Morrison should have had.

Well done PP and well done the players - that's the most optmistic I've been coming out of a game this season. I think we sat back too deep second half but overall, more to be pleased about than worried about.

Thanks to MOG for his ticket, rounded off a good day for the family with the three of us going for the first time this season. Adam, thanks for the beer - look forward to doing it again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Happy Valley[/cite]Greetings from Kenya

First time on this site and interested to read all the comments - my only way of getting more details on the game, being in far-flung Africa.

Depression after the BHA game has now been lifted!

Welcome, HV. Whereabouts in Kenya are you? We lived in Nairobi for a couple of years in the 90s, but didn't come across any other Addicks. We're heading out to East Africa on holiday in a couple of weeks' time - mainly to saty in Tanzania, but we'll be passing through on the way. Have the rains started yet?
  • Options
    Wednesday were very fortunate to be still in it but when it's only 1-0 you can always get caught. Taking Anyinsah was a slight risk but we have a tough game coming up and he was tiring and in the end the risk paid off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Wednesday were very fortunate to be still in it but when it's only 1-0 you can always get caught. Taking Anyinsah was a slight risk but we have a tough game coming up and he was tiring and in the end the risk paid off.

Super Joe was injured. Wasn't running properly before he got taken off.
  • Options
    Weegie Addick

I am in Nairobi and have been, on and off, since 2001. I have not detected any other Addicks here - I think I am in a minority of one! Indeed, most Kenyans think that there are only four teams in England - the rest just make up the numbers. They can't understand why I would choose to spport anyone other than Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or even Liverpool. Try explaining that it is in the blood, etc, etc and eyes just glaze over.
    The rains have sort of started, but are quite poor in Nairobi, although we will be getting the usual reports of floods soon in other parts of the country.
    If you are passing through drop me a line beforehand. My email is RND56@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    happy days....cracking day all round yesterday. best game I've seen for a long time down there, really enjoyed it...special mention for Benson and Racon, absolute class, Fry an Francis also had their best games for us.

my only concern is Doherty, still looks a bit of a worry to me and Elliot - really not convinced by him to be honest.

All in all though a great and very long day, good to catch up and have a beer with Northstandsteve and also Curb_it (will she recall the story in the bottom bar of he Con Club after the game about the guy at Norwich away - you really couldn't have made it up)

Carried on drinking in Welling till about midnight and consequently I've felt shocking all day today
  • Options
    lol your too old mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mate, playing this morning was NOT and enjoyable experience !
  • Options
    ditto with reffing my sons game
  • Options
    Agree with pretty much everyone's comments. We sort of had 11 MOM's. Everyone played well & credit to parky for that, as he gets the flak when they play bad.

Elliot - Good game
    Francis - Excellent - HIS BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON
    Dailly - very good
    Doherty - very good - POSSIBLY HIS BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON
    Fry - very good - POSSIBLY HIS BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON
    Jackson - good BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON THIS SEASON
    Waggy - very good
    Semedo - very good
    Racon - Excellent BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON
    Benson - very good POSSIBLY HIS BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON (only missing a goal)
    Anyinsah - very good - BEST GAME FOR CHARLTON

To anyone criticising Parky for subbing Anyinsah I would like to point out that he appeared to be carrying a knock & even if he wasn't, as he has not played one full 90 min game this season and was clearly knackered, then Parky obviously did the right thing. Hopefully, Joe may be able to play on Tuesday thanks to Parky.
  • Options
    Echo just about all the posts on here praising both the team and the manager.

For me, the lads were showing how much they want Parky to stay & succeed at this club.

This one's for you, Boss.....
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I thought it was a solid, efficient and confident display all throughout the team and deserved the 3 points although Sheffield Wednesday did look poor. Defensively we were organised and solid, Wednesday didn't really have any chances of any note. Midfield worked hard, still lack that creative streak but Semedo and Racon worked the middle well and were tireless, good to see McCormack make an appearance as well. Wagstaff, man of the match, constant thorn in Wednesday side, good goal and ran tirelessly all game, our next gem after Shelvey. Him and Reid on each side of the wing would be lethal. Martin tried hard to make an impact and was a good sub to bring on at the time, that little turn on the left hand side and cross would of been goal of the season if converted. Benson had an excellent game, for somebody not that tall and slight, he wins 90% of everything in the air. I think he is and will become even more, a real asset and £250k very well spent. Anyinsah is a quality player at this level as well, also had an excellent game and look forward to his partnership with Benson flourishing.
  • Options
    I'm so glad that I had pointed out that we were unlikely to win 1-0 ! Best thing for me was a solid team performance with everybody playing their part. With Brighton running away with it at the moment, there is an opportunity for someone to find that bit of consistency. The coming run of away games will tell us whether it might be us.
  • Options
    As a staunch “Parky Outer” can I bring a touch of reality to recent events.

There were two main reasons why we were able to deal so well with Wednesday, firstly Mellor offered no pace so we didn’t have to drop deep until Morrison came on, and at the other end the pace of Anyinsah kept them pegged back. Defensively I think everyone recognises the need for a centreback who attacks the first ball and a quicker one to sweep up behind. The only centreback with any pace we have is Fry who has mainly played on the left although I remain hopeful that Jon Fortune will recover his speed.

Up front the little and large combination is a well known one that Parky seems to have stumbed on only recently with Anyinsah, but in two years he has had the pace of Varney, McLeod, Dickson and Fleetwood to call on but never really used them alongside a hold up player. So we’re OK until Joe gets injured.
    We also had Jackson tucking in off the touchline when we defended, due to natural inclination rather than coaching and I’m sure when Reid returns he will be out at the touchline and the midfield will be more stretched.

So well done the lads, but I’m not putting any credit on Parky yet, I remain to be convinced.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]

Up front the little and large combination is a well known one that Parky seems to have stumbed on only recently with Anyinsah,

Parky didn't "stumble" onto Anyinsah. He signed him. Whenever he has been fit he has played.

At least give him credit for what he has done well rather than suggesting it is luck or random chance that players like Anyinshah, Benson, Reid, Jackson and Fry have been brought to the Club.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I like the image of Parky turning up at Sparrows and being suprised by finding/stumbling across a player round the back of the changing rooms!

Oooh, look what I've found lads
  • Options
    I say he stumbled across the use of a fast striker to push opposition defences back because he has shown no inclination to use one in the previous two years, nor as far as I'm aware did he go for pace at Colchester or Hull. If speed up front was his "plan A" why no back-up if Joe is injured? He was also the third striker signed and didn't join us until after the season started.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]I say he stumbled across the use of a fast striker to push opposition defences back because he has shown no inclination to use one in the previous two years, nor as far as I'm aware did he go for pace at Colchester or Hull. If speed up front was his "plan A" why no back-up if Joe is injured? He was also the third striker signed and didn't join us until after the season started.

Martin can also play striker, and he's pretty fast.
    Parky tried to use McLeod in the past - but McLeod wasn't up to it. Varney had to be sold to pay off Pardew (and if there was any truth to this summer's rumours, Parky tried to re-sign him.) As for Dickson and Fleetwood...

Sorry that this doesn't fit your agenda ;-)
  • Options
    Very Good overall performance, building on the win at Carlisle, and a much better team performance. Most combinations are now beginning to work - Benson/Anyinsah, Jackson/Fry on the left, Francis/Wagstaffe on the right, and Semedo/Racon were much improved in the centre midfield. However, as at Carlisle, Docherty/Dailly still looked shaky under pressure or when the ball was played in behind.

Second half performance - a number of comments on this thread on why we dropped deep and defended for long spells. A couple of points- 1. Parky no doubt spent half-time emphasising how open we were at Carlisle and almost threw away the points, and demanded a tighter defensive second half performance this week.
    2. Sheff Wed must have has a rucking from the manager at h/t and simply improved and pushed us back, particularly after bringing on Johnson. If it hadn't have been for 3 top class saves from Weaver, we'd have been 3 or 4 up at h/t and we wouldn't have looked so nervous defending a one goal lead.
  • Options
    Anyinsah makes a massive difference. The blend with Benson is good. Still see same problems in midfield which is why we continue to lose control of the game in the second half at home when there's a bit more time on the ball but accept Racon played well. Strange that Fortune is dropped for Doherty.
  • Options
    Happily agree with the comments stating that everyone played well with Francis in particular a vast improvement. For once, the potential of the Semedo + Racon combo was there for all to see; right from the start it was clear that Semedo wouldn't just sit in front of the back four, leaving a huge void behind the two forwards (and causing our finisher Benson to track back too far). Instead, twice in the first few minutes he turned forward and sent a positive message. They complimented each other so well, sharing the midfield duties, still defending, but often further up the pitch, and were probably the most telling factor in the result.

Love to see Reid in full flight and there were times when we wanted to slip a ball in behind as we broke but perhaps had to put the brakes on playing through Jackson instead but he did give us a better BALANCE. Guess that's always the tricky bit being manager - getting right the balance between attack & defence all over the park.
  • Options
    Doherty played well i must say, but i would rather see Fortune in his place for sure.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wasn't there today, spent an excellent weekend away in Paris with some mates. One just happened to be a Sheffield Wednesday fan, and also happens to be related to Nicky Weaver! So that was a good value win for me.

I'm happy to hear Racon, also was pleased to see what Parky said to him about battling for all tackles and headers..... basically saying he doesn't always do that. If he starts to battle, and sort out his positional sense his undoubted talent on the ball will become a proper factor. Always happy to be proved wrong when it's a Charlton player, but consistency is his key. He only has to look how hard Semedo works every game whether he's in form or out of form.
  • Options
    JVLJVL
    edited November 2010
    Well I missed the match due to being in the delivery room at Lewisham Hospital, while my other half (whom some of you might have noticed at the last Bromley Addicks sat next to me at the front looking exceedingly pregnant) gave birth. I was updating her from the match thread on here in between contractions, so thanks to the two excellent people posting the updates. Midwife looked a little baffled, but then she was a Cape Town Spurs supporter.

Five hours after the final whistle, George Philip Rufus Van Leer arrived. Marie ruled out Mendonca as a middle name, but she didn't notice I sneaked in the other scorer in the greatest game...

How come Francis is utter rubbish when I'm at a game, but gets rave reviews when I'm not?
  • Options
    congrats JVL gotta say Francis played very well.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Congrats Jon
  • Options
    Congrats jon.

Gotta say agree with Henry. Parky went some to get Anyainsah down here, made him work his socks off before getting a contract offer and then work another pair of socks off getting him fit. How many on here were talking about Anyainsah close seaosn? I've gotta say I never saw him mentioned by anyone, and he was someone I knew nothing about until it was announced. A potentially excellent signing. One that looks like Reid, too good for this div.