Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic 1 - 0 Sheffield Wednesday Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Big kudos to Parky - the BHA game signalled the end of the team gellifying excuse clause.

He & the team have collectively pulled out their fingers. Great couple of results.

Onwards & upwards.
  • Options
    good performance today,joe @ benno look good together up front.
  • Options
    Enjoyed that today. Good all round performance, looked confident and played as a team. We were dangerous in the first half, not as good second half but then no surprise that Sheff Wed improved after half time.

Whole team played well, not seen anyone mention Matt Fry, who I thought had a good game, both intelligent and brave while trying to play football.

Again Benson and Anyinsah look a good partnership, two different types of strikers and Anyinsah's pace causes problems.

Doherty has the odd dodgy moment but generally I thought he was solid.

Great to keep a clean sheet, especially against a team who were in the top 6 before today. After the Brighton game we needed a reaction from the team and Parky has got that out of them with two wins against good sides.
  • Options
    Parky post match comments:

"That was the perfect result for us. We won last week but we still conceded three goals and it was important that we got the defensive side of our game back on track. When you win a game like that, it's good to look at the table and see yourself in sixth. The performance today was a top-six performance.”

On Waggy Trousers:

"I always tell everyone how good he is but I'd better be careful in case someone tries to sign him! He's got so much energy and you won't get anyone better than Scotty in terms of his endeavour for the team. To add six goals and be top scorer on the back of that is first class.”

"We were solid and worked hard but still played some good stuff and got the balance right. That was typified by our two central midfield players in the first half. We always speak to Therry about winning second balls and headers and letting his football come on the back of that. They're so powerful and they're two great lads who want to win so much. They're great athletes and we have to keep reminding them they have to play the game in an English way sometimes. But they're learning and today they were very difficult for the Sheffield Wednesday midfield to cope with.

"Some supporters I speak to love Racon, others aren't sure about him, but I'm telling you now this lad loves playing his football. Every day in training he gives everything and today I thought he was terrific and put in an outstanding performance.”

"I thought the fans were excellent today. I said in the press leading up to the game that we have to make The Valley a hostile place for the opposition players. They played their part today.

"When you are beaten at home, you want to prove to the supporters that we are a decent side. That defeat against Brighton was only our fourth defeat in 34 home games. If you look around the country, I don't think too many teams can match that home record. We have to make sure that defeat was a one-off.”
  • Options
    Sounds like a win AND a good performance. Maybe Parky is finding his team and slowly turning it around. (Not holding my breath yet).

Very happy tonight.
  • Options
    The Doc my man of the match
    Got his head to every cross even when others miised the ball.
    Couple of loose clearances, but really did his job with aplomb
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Phil Parkinson[/cite]I thought the fans were excellent today. I said in the press leading up to the game that we have to make The Valley a hostile place for the opposition players. They played their part today.

Sometimes he really is a knob. ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite] Doc was far better than of late. .[/quote]

Jesus he must have been fkin awful then of late!!!!!!

Ive heard of 50p head but he must have a 20p head. I've Seen milk turn quicker.

Funny thing is I always really rated him til he signed for us.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    Could of been 4-0 up at half time but that wouldnt be charlton keeping us all on the edge
    semedo and racon ran the show,
    Overall great sprit against a promotion rival even though they were poor today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great performance by Racon, one of his best. Waggy & Benson were also great, although Benson needs to sort out his studs, he was slipping about everywhere.

Millwall & Palace's results added to today's enjoyment!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    I was very pleased- only one goal but we looked dangerous every time we attacked and Wednesday had Weaver to thank for keeping them in it and a bit of good fortune. If anybody wants a definition of handful, you could show them a video of Asinyah's performance. Their defence was never comfortable with him going at them and this helps Benson show his strengths. But Racon, that was the peformance I thought I would never see again. If he can continue in that vain with Semedo who put in a solid Semedo display we have a top half championship midfield.

On onay other day Asinyah would get MOM but Racon was just on a different level so has to grab the accolade. Loved the skill shown by Martin in the second half, that was sublime. Did he dive for that penalty, was at other end but looked clearcut to me.

Wednesday were outplayed- they came into it a bit at the end but it was never at any point more than even and for most of the match we dominated. they can have no complaints. You can see where they have the quality but they come up against a better team today. Keep Asinyah fit and anything is possible this year - he is the sort of player this team has been crying out for. Very Happy.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    What was Jose upset about? Looked as if he was going to biff the other player. Dailly was going beserk at him. Then the amusing kiss and cuddle...how we laughed!
    Didn't recognise the slimmed down Weaver. About 50/50 with claps and boos.
    They really deserved being clapped off at half time. Great display. 2nd half lost their way a bit but clung on for a win.
    Glad Robbie has ditched his 'Lily the pink' garb.
    Benno looks a different player now, Just shows what a few goals and confidence can do to a player.
    It has taken Racon ages to hit top form. Now he has to stay consistent. If he does we will go further up the league.
  • Options
    Nice warm day before the clocks go back and winter starts.

Ansiyah great for this league, quite fast and very strong.

Two teams mostly trying to play mostly proper football.

Good pre match and half time stuff with the Academy boys.

What's not to like.
  • Options
    Yes, lots of quality on show- a good advert for the division.
  • Options
    Well done !!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Posted without reading so apologies for duplications etc.

Two words, hard fought, sum this match up for me. The players came out up for it and took the game to Sheffield Wednesday only to find a Nicky Weaver in top form. However the ever clinical Waggy managed to beat him and credit to all the players without exception today as they worked their wotsits off to hang on to the 3 points against a rough, tough physical Wednesday side who seemed to have the ref in their pockets until he suddenly started giving us the odd 50:50 decision in the last quarter of an hour or so.

Well done to the team and the crowd today. I heard no booing, the atmosphere was partisan yet positive and we reaped the reward of 3 points.

EDIT: I meant to say that the fundamental difference between today and the Brighton game was that the midfield turned up today. Against Brighton they turned up for 45 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Racon was amazing.
  • Options
    We are handily placed now. Great result- hopefully we are back on track!
  • Options
    Good to see some smiling faces as everyone left. Much better performance from all, especially in the first half.
    Anyinsah ran them ragged until he came off (presumably knackered), Benson is looking better every match, Racon had his best game in ages, Doherty was really solid in the air. I also liked Jackson playing in front of Fry rather than full back.
  • Options
    Blimey, can't remember enjoying a half as much as I enjoyed the 1st half for years. Some super football played.

And what was really great was the 3 players who have been a bit disappointing this year - Francis, Doherty and Racon - putting in top rate performances. (Can't undestand how anyone can think Doherty was still disappointing today - he was winning every ball in the air, making goal saving blocks etc). In fact, probably unfair to say Racon only put in a top rate performance - he was absolutely outstanding. Hope he can keep it up.
  • Options
    Funny how Parky gets little or no credit from most posters for the victory but is blamed endlessley by some for the defeats.

As for the game, we could and perhaps should have been more than 1-0 up at half time, as we completely dominated. If it wasn't for Weaver, I am sure we would.

This brings me to another point. For those who wish to castigate Weaver as being a rent boy, grow up. Your prejudice says far more about you than it does Weaver. I guess however you were the same people who threw banana skins and heckled black players years ago.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Great performance,the ball did not stick to Benson all game.Joe Aynsiah was maginficent the best performance I have seen in a Charlton shirt for years, Parky's desicision to substitute him was disgraceful . For someone who has slagged off Francis, well done son good game. Waggy I love u son proper Charlton, Fry u remind me of CRAIG fOR Millwall thats good.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2010
    Benson won every ball in the air and the ball did stick. He started many of our moves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Steve, benson won every ball in the air and the ball did stick. He started many of our moves. I know you don't rate him but to blindly slag him off is ridiculous.

Benson was superb today as was Anyinsah.

They seem to bring the best out of each other.
  • Options
    Was very impressed with Doc, Racon and the two upfront today. Benson looked a real handful today i lost count of the amount of time he held up the ball today to start of a break for us.

Waggy - looks like we could have a top player on our nds here.
  • Options
    edited October 2010