Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2010
    [quote][cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Parker could take possession off the opposing team in the blink of an eye, and didn't have to put the the opponent in hospital to do it, as well as being able to play attack, this is why Curbs said he was like two players allowing him to play the likes of Jensen alongside him, not sure Shelvey has displayed that kind of talent personally[/quote]

Totally different kind of midfield player.

His passing ability is light years ahead of Parker and can do so with both feet.

Very similar in style to Gerrard and also reminds me of Trevor Brooking (you being a man of the fence should recognise this).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite] not sure Shelvey has displayed that kind of talent personally

Did Parker at 18 though? It wasn't until that loan spell at Norwich that Parker really started to show his best for us and, correct me if I'm wrong, he was more like 20/21 at that time. Until that time he'd very much been in the Shelvey mould - bags of technical ability and a string of fine performances at reserve level to his name, but a tactical naivity about him that meant his impact at first team level was restricted to fits and starts.

There's a long way to go for Jonjo. For me he's not pushed on as much as we'd hoped this year (be that his, Parky's or no-one's fault). He could be a great player, but he could go the way of a Jermaine Pennant - bags of talent at a very young age, but never quite fulfilled a seemingly large amount of promise. It's often a fine line between success and failure in this business and there are lots and lots of very talented young footballers who never make it for one reason or another and plenty of players who didn't look much at 18 but by 28 are very good indeed.

I wish him well but I'd be very surprised to see him making an instant impact up there at first team level other than in the League Cup. I'll be happy to be proved wrong though.
  • Options
    1.7m doesnt sound a great deal for his talent but thats the position we are now in, only 12 months left on his contract so 1.7 million raising to 3million (as been quoted on talk sport all today) seems a not so bad.

If we'd still been in championship this price would have been doubled but we're not and i suspect the deals been thrashed out early so that when the summer comes and we spend no money once again and again cut the playing squad, this fee will be all but a distant memory.
  • Options
    But that was my point scruffle why sell him NOW and not in the summer!.....

The Charlton site states Charlton plc chairman Richard Murray said: "It's with the greatest reluctance that we have accepted an offer for Jonjo from Liverpool.

"No club likes to lose such a talented prospect, but the overall package is one we couldn't refuse, and one which was very attractive to Jonjo.

"As a club, we have never stood in the way of any of our young players moving to 'bigger' clubs, and this also applies to Jonjo.

"Liverpool are going to develop him over the next few years to be a top player, and I can't think of a better place for him to go.”

The question I have to ask, or in fact repeat asking is why announce this now, surely an arrangement could have been made once our league position is known.
    This 'deal' surely has been brokered over many weeks if not month's in my guess, so why now! or was the press tipped off!.

Was there not a denial a couple of weeks ago that there was no 'deal' re JJ.!

I imagine he is still a Charlton player till the end of season, so we could in theory play him, or have him on the bench!..... although I bet that will not happen!
  • Options
    Because if we sell him now, we get the money now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone any idea where this 'Chelsea - £3.5m' stuff keeps cropping up from ? My understanding was that there interest was at a much, much lower level than that.

a report from the Guardian that was floating around on a thread yesterday which was also confirmed by Uncle.

I confirmed he turned down chelsea not the cost of the deal. He wanted to stay at charlton that was the reason.
  • Options
    I love the way Jonjo's quality is being judged by Liverpool supporters based on his Football manager credentials.
  • Options
    Because if we sell him now, we get the money now.. quote Aliwibble
    But the directors have put in 7million for this season, and will the money be transferred before the end of the month!i.e. in our (CAFC) account! to avoid just such a 'raid'
    Sorry, but as it is Liverpool. 'Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques, not to make them out. We'll do that - they just sign them." ...Bill Shankly
  • Options
    Rafael Benitez believes the capture of Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton Athletic is an exciting one for the future of the club.

The England youth international will officially join the Reds on Monday, May 10, after he passed a medical and agreed personal terms.

"In the last two or three years we have been worried about the lack of English players at the club so we wanted to bring English players in," Benitez told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"We haven't had that many come from the Academy with the level that we wanted for the first team so we are now trying to find players.

"We have a couple of English players we have signed for the Academy, and Shelvey is another option we have now.

"We have been monitoring this player for one year and we decided the time was right now to bring him here.

"He was very young and only 16 when he made his first team debut for Charlton. He is a player with quality that we can work with and I think he will be a very good addition."
  • Options
    they just couldn't wait till the end of the play-offs for the deal to go thru .....very odd
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think what Ken means on the previous page is that why does he have to join Liverpool as early as May 10th? I'm sure we could have agreed a deal now that would have him transferred to Liverpool at the end of May so that he would still be able to feature for us for the rest of the season and in the Playoffs.

Anyone?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]they just couldn't wait till the end of the play-offs for the deal to go thru .....very odd[/quote]

Probably a gun to his head from Liverpool to cover for Rafa not hitting 4th??

Bloody awful timing and a sign we are gonna be in this arse upwards position for a longtime to come.

The only positive is that Parky can't get his hands on him any longer and ruin any future transfer fee. . . . :o((((
  • Options
    I think Murray has been told he can not play by someone at Liverpool pure speculation that though
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It says on BBC teletext red button thing that he will become a Liverpool player on may 10th and wont be able to play for Charlton for the rest of the season

LINKY
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I love the way Jonjo's quality is being judged by Liverpool supporters based on his Football manager credentials.
    Is funny that. Strange for me as I was the one who gave him those ratings and his potential in FM. Only Charlton player since I've been doing it that people call "an FM legend". Hopefully we'll have a few more from the academy in the future.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think what Ken means on the previous page is that why does he have to join Liverpool as early as May 10th? I'm sure we could have agreed a deal now that would have him transferred to Liverpool at the end of May so that he would still be able to feature for us for the rest of the season and in the Playoffs.

Anyone?

Is everyone forgetting he wasn't featuring for Charlton so why stay longer to not play. He wasn't part of Parky's plans so whether he goes today or next week dont matter PARKY wasn't going to play him. And no this isn't because he was told not to it was parkys choice not to. He's gone now cos there was no more football at charlton for him so can we all put the why now bit to bed now
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think what Ken means on the previous page is that why does he have to join Liverpool as early as May 10th? I'm sure we could have agreed a deal now that would have him transferred to Liverpool at the end of May so that he would still be able to feature for us for the rest of the season and in the Playoffs.

Anyone?

Is everyone forgetting he wasn't featuring for Charlton so why stay longer to not play. He wasn't part of Parky's plans so whether he goes today or next week dont matter PARKY wasn't going to play him. And no this isn't because he was told not to it was parkys choice not to. He's gone now cos there was no more football at charlton for him so can we all put the why now bit to bed now

Fair enough just thought Parky might have been worried about him getting injured before the Liverpool move. In that case, I really do understand Parkinson's thinking!
  • Options

Anyone?

He's gone now cos there was no more football at charlton for him

Was that the main reason behind him leaving, because Parky wasn't giving him the first team action he had said he would?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]

Anyone?

Fair enough just thought Parky might have been worried about him getting injured before the Liverpool move. In that case, I really do understand Parkinson's thinking!

It was nothing to do with the Liverpool move. That came after parky decided he wouldn't play him there is no link between the liverpool move and parky not playing him. The only link is knowing you wont be playing sort of makes your mind up to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world. To a club and manager that really wants you and already has plans set out for your role in the 1st team next season. Despite what any of you think on here you'll see much more of jonjo playing for liverpool 1st team next year than probably you did in charltons this year. Those of you that doubt that i'll get back to you halfway through next season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]

Anyone?

It was nothing to do with the Liverpool move. That came after parky decided he wouldn't play him there is no link between the liverpool move and parky not playing him. The only link is knowing you wont be playing sort of makes your mind up to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world. To a club and manager that really wants you and already has plans set out for your role in the 1st team next season. Despite what any of you think on here you'll see much more of jonjo playing for liverpool 1st team next year than probably you did in charltons this year. Those of you that doubt that i'll get back to you halfway through next season.

Thanks for clearing everything up there. I fully expect him to feature in Liverpool's first team set up next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Despite what any of you think on here you'll see much more of jonjo playing for liverpool 1st team next year than probably you did in charltons this year. Those of you that doubt that i'll get back to you halfway through next season.
    That's good to hear and I'll be looking out for him especially if they're on TV.
  • Options
    Precisely Uncle not if JJ goes , but when...... Timing is everything, but as you state 'he was not part of Parky's plan' ..... Too me a 'watershed moment' like Reids departure.

I wonder if this will haunt Parky..... too me it is simple I would have kept him, and built the team around him......But for any player to play for Liverpool is a no brainer...... I am just giving my opinion, no more, too me the future of CAFC is about the young talent that we develop as I stated on another topic yesterday on reserve team football.

Now he has gone , I only wish him well, as I am sure all the rest on here do.
  • Options
    So are you saying Uncle that if Shelvey was an ever present in the centre of our midfield and Liverpool came and offered him a contract with the promise of involvement in their first team, he wouldn't have taken the move?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Parkinsons job and reputation could well be effected by how we end up this season therefore he will obviously play the team and pick the players that he feels will bring the most success. If he though JJ fitted that he would have played him.

I cant imagine any manager, particularly one who has endured so much pressure and a lot of criticism from supporters would quietly get on with not playing his best players in his eyes and not somehow make it known that he was under orders to keep a player warehoused.

Parkinson has obviously conveyed to the board that he does not see JJ in his plans for the remaining 4/5 games of the season and therefore the board have decided to sell now and as Aliwibble says get the money now.

As gutted as i am and cant see what the manager doesnt rate in giving him a go it seems quite logical that if we arent going to play him we may as well cash in and to be fair to the lad it must be the end of quite a frustrating period for him....only had to see his reaction after hed be subbed after an indifferent performance to see he has got high standards and expectations of himself and isnt going to get the chance to realise his potential in the current set up.

Fair play to Parkinson if he has been honest and admitted he wont use JJ because it is another shard of ammo that folk like myself can throw at him when questioning his managerial ability but perhaps after all he has been honest and done it for the good of the club.

I get all my Charlton info from this forum which is often speculation, and also what i see on a saturday and obviously dont know (or want to accept) the state of our current finances and so when things like this happen it sets of a panic cos not having all the facts doesnt allow you to make a rational, logical scenario.... rather it is more emotive and based on gut reaction that is already influenced by a held perception that may or may not be wide of the mark.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]So are you saying Uncle that if Shelvey was an ever present in the centre of our midfield and Liverpool came and offered him a contract with the promise of involvement in their first team, he wouldn't have taken the move?

No i'm saying its very unlikely. But he wasn't was he so its something that can only be speculated. I do believe he would have been he for a couple more years. But if your going to be put into the football wilderness you may as well do it at liverpool than charlton.
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=36031&newstype=p

Murray on timing and the decision.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And although both clubs have declined to reveal the potential worth of the agreement, the transfer includes significant further payments based on domestic and international appearances and a sell-on clause.

Furthermore, as part of the transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions.

"I know what the fans are thinking, they're thinking that we've been here before with links with Internazionale and Valencia which never really came to anything," admitted Richard. "But this is different.

"We've had a long talk with Liverpool, and I think there will be some exciting loanees coming to the club in the future."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone any idea where this 'Chelsea - £3.5m' stuff keeps cropping up from ? My understanding was that there interest was at a much, much lower level than that.

a report from the Guardian that was floating around on a thread yesterday which was also confirmed by Uncle.

I confirmed he turned down chelsea not the cost of the deal. He wanted to stay at charlton that was the reason.

apologies for that Uncle, the article was in the same thread and I got confused in all the excitement !!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]I love the way Jonjo's quality is being judged by Liverpool supporters based on his Football manager credentials.[/quote]
    Is funny that. Strange for me as I was the one who gave him those ratings and his potential in FM. Only Charlton player since I've been doing it that people call "an FM legend". Hopefully we'll have a few more from the academy in the future.[/quote]

I watched him score a great solo goal for leeds (!!!) on Youtube!
  • Options
    ive got no problem with this deal, it will keep the club afloat in trouble times.