Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]mate we all know its screwed... crying and moaning about it aint gonna change nothing...[/quote]

I know but just accepting things certainly isnt either and there isnt much else i can do other than bitch on an internet forum as Murray and Parkinson have blocked my mail![/quote]

always look on the bright side of life mate...

the geezer wasnt even playing and weve have gained a few extra weeks of haemmoraging money league one style...

and as for accepting, what does not accepting look like? What can a football supporter do? Go down to the ground and spit at Parkinson? Boo the plyers when announced?

We cant change anything, these arent our decisions, as a supporter, thats all we can do , support, financially, vocally, emotionally.....

What else can we do?
  • Options
    The max price for a player being sold out of League 1 in January was was Lee Barnard £250k. Add to that the fact that Villa got their fingers burned by Delph and you get what we got.

£1.7M was as good as it was ever going to get, especially based on the fact that JJ hadn't been playing. If we get decent lump sums upon appearances all well and good but I hope the sell on clause is a good one. I hope he makes it but there's a chance he won't yet he'll still be sold for more than we sold him for so it bodes well.

No one knows how the deal is being structured but if we get Liverpool players on loan then so be it...at the moment we have them on loan from Championship teams, surely those at Liverpool are better & first refusal on some of the players they release wouldn't go amiss either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I hope we get to give Jonjo a proper send off on Saturday if it's just a little wave before kick off. Too many players (Bent, Reid & Powell) have been allowed to leave through the back door recently without allowing the fans to say thankyou.

I agree it would be nice but I don't think it will be a goer, the club would probably be wary it would be soured by idiots like Prior
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I hope we get to give Jonjo a proper send off on Saturday if it's just a little wave before kick off. Too many players (Bent, Reid & Powell) have been allowed to leave through the back door recently without allowing the fans to say thankyou.[/quote]

I agree it would be nice but I don't think it will be a goer, the club would probably be wary it would be soured by idiots like Prior[/quote]

please refer to the "helmets" and supports comment from Off it earlier... it would be mared by those...
  • Options
    the amount is not 1.7 mill it is higher than that but not upfront

that is agreed the final amount could and will IMO be a hell of a lot more.

Shelvey not playing is soley a decision made by the manager

We will not see him again IMO as LIverpool will be mad to let him play in such a competitve game should all things have been sorted
  • Options
    mate we all know its screwed... crying and moaning about it aint gonna change nothing...mascott88

So just lie back and accept it eh!..... funny I thought as a fan you had a right to have a 'moan!' as you put it..... , and question the management of the club, or is that for the preserve of the board!

So what was the desperate rush to sell him! Now was the issue...... Some people might think short term gain, is long term pain, we need a board with vision , not accountants who know the price of everything and the value of nothing!....
  • Options
    selling him is not my issue by the way i think we should have sold him for his sake more than anything.

i am just infruriated that he is good enough for a big prem team but not us yet people defend pp's judgment
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What does not accepting it look like?????

Can someone answer me this... how do we NOT "lie back and accept it"?

We dont know what the desperate rush was, we werent there, we will never know... I can make up ten perfectly viable reasons for you if you like?
  • Options
    Nice cliche Ken. Now what would YOU do?
  • Options
    why would they mad to let him have pressure-game experience in the play-offs?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]why would they mad to let him have pressure-game experience in the play-offs?[/quote]

Could break his leg
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]why would they mad to let him have pressure-game experience in the play-offs?[/quote]

they wouldn't be mad but if we pushed it they would definitely enter a clause stating that the deal could be off if he gets crocked. would we want to risk it?
  • Options
    Could get some great experience.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]why would they mad to let him have pressure-game experience in the play-offs?

Could break his leg

He could break his leg in training though.
    Surely he can't officially sign for them until June/July 1st as that's when the window re-opens? So him not playing for us would only be down to a gentlemans agreement between the clubs.
    Man Utd signed Smalling but they let him play for Fulham.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i am just infruriated that he is good enough for a big prem team but not us yet people defend pp's judgment
    He's not good enough for a Prem team though, Liverpool are buying potential. He won't start regularly for them straight away.

Parky knows Jonjo is talented like everyone else. It's his weaknesses and little things that come with experience that stopped him starting in central midfield. As has been said, he probably doesn't think a promotion battle was the right time to put him in and give him that time to learn and develop. Could have used him more, yes, but to suggest Parky doesn't rate him isn't true at all.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: shamkat[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]why would they mad to let him have pressure-game experience in the play-offs?[/quote]

they wouldn't be mad but if we pushed it they would definitely enter a clause stating that the deal could be off if he gets crocked. would we want to risk it?[/quote]

No we wouldnt want to risk it...... part of the reason that this deal has even gone through 2 weeks before the playoffs is becasue we are obviously DESPERATELY DEPSERATELY DESPERATE for the money...... we are as a club losing money every day we are in existence... hence the importnace of going up...

we cant downside to thee level where League one is sustainable, we ned to get to the championship, where we could exist as an entity, maybe.. but, again, I am only guessing, as we all are......
  • Options
    So he joins them on May 10th....what about the playoffs?
  • Options
    I agree that we might be mad to let him play anymore, not that Liverpool would be though!
  • Options
    Charlton have agreed a deal with Premier League side Liverpool for 18-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, the club announced on Wednesday.

Liverpool will pay an initial £1.7m for the England youth international, with further potential payments depending on domestic and international appearances.

After travelling to Merseyside on Tuesday, Shelvey passed a medical and agreed personal terms with the Merseyside outfit the following day, and will join Liverpool on May 10th, after the end of the Premier League season.

As part of the transfer, the two clubs are also in talks to develop a strategic partnership involving the development of players in both directions.

Charlton plc chairman Richard Murray said: "It's with the greatest reluctance that we have accepted an offer for Jonjo from Liverpool.

"No club likes to lose such a talented prospect, but the overall package is one we couldn't refuse, and one which was very attractive to Jonjo.

"As a club, we have never stood in the way of any of our young players moving to 'bigger' clubs, and this also applies to Jonjo.

"Liverpool are going to develop him over the next few years to be a top player, and I can't think of a better place for him to go.”

Shelvey became Charlton's youngest debutant when he made his first-team bow against Barnsley at Oakwell in April 2008, aged just 16 years and 59 days. He is also the club's youngest FA Cup and league goalscorer.

The Romford-born attacker has made 48 appearances and scored eight times for the Addicks, including four goals in the current campaign.

Shelvey, who signed a one-year extension to his contract last September, has previously made no secret of the fact that his football idol is Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard.

Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow said: "Jonjo is an exciting England youth international. His signing is part of our long-term strategic recruitment plan, and we all look forward to welcoming him to Melwood.”
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]So he joins them on May 10th....what about the playoffs?

Transfer window doesn't re-open until 1 July.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    By questioning the Chairman for a start, and the board of management.
    I will ask him that question myself in a week or so's time, wether he wishes to answer is his perogative.
    Let the club explain the ' desperate rush.'... after all are they not charged with that responsibility as directors!
    No we will not know the exact details, but as others have posted if we have had an injection of £7 million for this season, the season is not yet over! was that not the reason behind that move or were were 'hoodwinked'

Any investor is surely more interested in a club in the Championship than in league one as a going concern, unless of course they wish to get it on the cheap!, sell the ground and other assets, including the players that do have a selling potential.
  • Options
    when did Jonjo join Charlton... I want the number of years he spent here crystal in my head before some jockey tells me in two years he came through liverpool's great youth system... was it 13?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    Surely he can't officially sign for them until June/July 1st as that's when the window re-opens? So him not playing for us would only be down to a gentlemans agreement between the clubs.

according to ssn he will sign on may 10th.
  • Options
    perhaps we can get gerrard, torres and benayoun on loan from may 10th as part of our new strategic partnership.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]when did Jonjo join Charlton... I want the number of years he spent here crystal in my head before some jockey tells me in two years he came through liverpool's great youth system... was it 13?[/quote]

he was born in oak ... signed at 6 months...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]when did Jonjo join Charlton... I want the number of years he spent here crystal in my head before some jockey tells me in two years he came through liverpool's great youth system... was it 13?

he was born in oak ... signed at 6 months...

PMSL
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]By questioning the Chairman for a start, and the board of management.
    I will ask him that question myself in a week or so's time, wether he wishes to answer is his perogative.
    Let the club explain the ' desperate rush.'... after all are they not charged with that responsibility as directors!
    No we will not know the exact details, but as others have posted if we have had an injection of £7 million for this season, the season is not yet over! was that not the reason behind that move or were were 'hoodwinked'

Any investor is surely more interested in a club in the Championship than in league one as a going concern, unless of course they wish to get it on the cheap!, sell the ground and other assets, including the players that do have a selling potential.[/quote]

By asking them a question, thats "not accepting it" is it... they must be shaking in their boots....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]perhaps we can get gerrard, torres and benayoun on loan from may 10th as part of our new strategic partnership.

Would we boo Torres more than Mooney?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]perhaps we can get gerrard, torres and benayoun on loan from may 10th as part of our new strategic partnership.

Would we boo Torres more than Mooney?

He probably would be too good to be picked and wouldnt fit our system.