Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]perhaps we can get gerrard, torres and benayoun on loan from may 10th as part of our new strategic partnership.[/quote]

Would we boo Torres more than Mooney?[/quote]

He probably would be too good to be picked and wouldnt fit our system.[/quote]

good point
  • Options
    Bonkers timing. Again.

Really, the club should explain why he's going before the play-offs.

I fully understand why he's going, but 2 weeks would make no difference to Liverpool and could make a crucial difference to us. It's not like they're paying over the odds or anything.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Bonkers timing. Again.

Really, the club should explain why he's going before the play-offs.

I fully understand why he's going, but 2 weeks would make no difference to Liverpool and could make a crucial difference to us. It's not like they're paying over the odds or anything.

would make a crucial difference to us if he got injured and our only source of income went up the swannee.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]when did Jonjo join Charlton... I want the number of years he spent here crystal in my head before some jockey tells me in two years he came through liverpool's great youth system... was it 13?[/quote]

he was born in oak ... signed at 6 months...[/quote]

PMSL[/quote]

;)
  • Options
    Let's hope he doesn't get mentored by Gerrard - he's be falling over for penalties and fighting in bars in no time.

Still can't understand why the mighty Liverpool don't have their own pipeline of English youth talent though.
  • Options
    Parky knows Jonjo is talented like everyone else. It's his weaknesses and little things that come with experience that stopped him starting in central midfield.

As has been said, he probably doesn't think a promotion battle was the right time to put him in and give him that time to learn and develop. Could have used him more, yes, but to suggest Parky doesn't rate him isn't true at all.

After May 10th i will respond to this in the correct way but if only that was true
  • Options
    Sad turn of events. Just shows how skint we are and a bit of a reality check I guess. With the extra home leg of a play off game, 20k plus attendance and a possible final, I would have thought this little bonus would see us ok for now. Obviously not. Can't really blame the board, they dipped deep in their pockets to find 7m earlier in the season and some must be close to potless now. Timing stinks but needs must.

Very sad to see him go as I think a lot more to come. Not sure it is a good move for him. I remember being at a game away to oldham some 20 years or More ago and their teenage wonderkid being snapped up for a big future at anfield. What happened to Wayne Harrison, never heard of him after that.
  • Options
    As others have said, the timing stinks because of a potential five games to play, he is unlikely to figure if a deal is done, and it beggars belief that we couldn’t get at least £1.7 for him in the summer. Has he been actively marketed recently without the news getting out? I doubt it. With four clubs still in the race for Europe, and Fulham contesting the Europa cup, there are still potential purchasers out there whose budgets for buying players is dependant on games up to the end of the season.

So we only have to find another £5.3m to match last year’s budget, let’s hope Diawarra and Bougerra move before the season starts. The fire sale starts here!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PL54[/cite]Let's hope he doesn't get mentored by Gerrard - he's be falling over for penalties and fighting in bars in no time.

One of the best midfielders in the history of the premier league.

Amazed at the timing, i'm sure someone from the club will tell us why he couldn't stay another 2-3 weeks, at one of the many Q&A supporters club nights though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Parky knows Jonjo is talented like everyone else. It's his weaknesses and little things that come with experience that stopped him starting in central midfield.

As has been said, he probably doesn't think a promotion battle was the right time to put him in and give him that time to learn and develop. Could have used him more, yes, but to suggest Parky doesn't rate him isn't true at all.

After May 10th i will respond to this in the correct way but if only that was true
    The correct way? Why is it not true?

Do you actually believe the reasons Jonjo hasn't started in CM or played more is because Parky doesn't rate him? Not saying it's because of his move to Liverpool.

Jonjo was surely left out by Parkinson because of his weaknesses, not because Parky doesn't rate his quality on the ball or football brain. There's enough quotes out there where Parky has said Jonjo is a talented player, a good finisher, composed etc.

Where Parky's opinion is different is that he believes Racon in particular can do a certain job for the team, and offers things that at 18 Jonjo doesn't or can't quite get right yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Parky knows Jonjo is talented like everyone else. It's his weaknesses and little things that come with experience that stopped him starting in central midfield.

some people will believe what they want to believe and in no way could Parky be at fault. Doh !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Do you actually believe the reasons Jonjo hasn't started in CM or played more is because Parky doesn't rate him? Not saying it's because of his move to Liverpool.

Jonjo was surely left out by Parkinson because of his weaknesses, not because Parky doesn't rate his quality on the ball or football brain. There's enough quotes out there where Parky has said Jonjo is a talented player, a good finisher, composed etc.

Where Parky's opinion is different is that he believes Racon in particular can do a certain job for the team, and offers things that at 18 Jonjo doesn't or can't quite get right yet.

or perhaps Parky didn't know best how to use Jonjo and make the most of his considerable talents using the limited personnel around him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite] I remember being at a game away to oldham some 20 years or More ago and their teenage wonderkid being snapped up for a big future at anfield. What happened to Wayne Harrison, never heard of him after that.

Interesting article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/3037207/Philip-on-Saturday-A-great-career-cut-short.html

"Harrison was on the verge of a seat on the substitutes' bench when, in a bizarre accident, he crashed through a greenhouse and, with the local ambulance service on strike at the time, all but died through loss of blood before the back-up Army medics could rush him to hospital."
  • Options
    What a depressing thread. Sorry Jonjo, sorry Uncle.

You lot wollow in self pity & blame this for non promotion til the cows come home. Me, I've got a team to support to try & help them get promoted with the players we do have that have all worked bloody hard this season to be in a position to still be fighting.

Jonjo, thank you. Mainly for being so much more of a decent man than Parker was. I don't blame the club at all for letting you fulfill your dream.

I'm going to give this site a miss for a bit.
  • Options

If he has weaknesses then you play to his strengths.

The bloke has just been bought by Liverpool and I take that to mean he has the talent to be world class. How can you not play someone that talented in League One? If you play him high enough up the pitch then his mistakes aren't even going to matter.
  • Options
    Best post for a long time on this site KBslittlesis.

Totally agree. COYR!
  • Options
    well said kb.
  • Options
    By asking them a question, thats "not accepting it" is it... they must be shaking in their boots....
    Well they did not have the 'balls' to appear on Charlton to explain themselves last year! when I approached the club, or on bbc radio 5 when I worked at the bbc....
    Apparently Richard was overseeing the 'transfer of players'...then the station closed!
    So despite the fact that they are 'fans themselves' they do not think they are accountable for there actions!. Quite possibly ...I do not have the answers, but what else can any fan do but question the board! and the running of the team......on a board like this, and other mediums!. If it is such a waste of time why bother posting in the first place... if nothing can be done.!
  • Options
    KB !
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][i aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Parky knows Jonjo is talented like everyone else. It's his weaknesses and little things that come with experience that stopped him starting in central midfield.

As has been said, he probably doesn't think a promotion battle was the right time to put him in and give him that time to learn and develop. Could have used him more, yes, but to suggest Parky doesn't rate him isn't true at all.[b aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][/b][/i][b aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0][/b]

If he has weaknesses then you play to his strengths.

The bloke has just been bought by Liverpool and I take that to mean he has the talent to be world class. How can you not play someone that talented in League One? If you play him high enough up the pitch then his mistakes aren't even going to matter.

Exactly this is more to do with the ability of Parky than Jonjo, if someone like Kenny Dalglish who is activly involved with developing Liverpool like Sir Bobby Charlton does at Man Yoo thinks that Jon is good enough to play for them (and there is a lot of speculating in Liverpool that they are going to play with youth and a blend of experience and they are not anticipating him sitting in the ressies)

thinks Jon Jo has talent then i will listen to that more than PP's Opinion
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]or perhaps Parky didn't know best how to use Jonjo and make the most of his considerable talents using the limited personnel around him.
    Not saying Parky can do no wrong, he's made plenty of mistakes. NLA was suggesting that Parky just does not rate Shelvey at all. There is more to it than that.

It's clear he does rate him, but not every area of his game. True he probably wasn't sure how to use him in central midfield. Shelvey is best playing with freedom to find space and time on the ball, and Parky probably wasn't confident he'd get that playing in CM. He definitely wouldn't have got that in games like Colchester at home for example.

I agree he should have featured more and Parky could have risked starting him in certain games, and got him off the bench earlier, Norwich and Southampton two games recently that he came on too late. Stockport at home would have been a good opportunity to start him in central midfield, it's disappointing he didn't get a chance like that.

That's not the same thing as just not rating him, which was my point. Parky knows Jonjo is a very talented young player like we all do. Not taking enough risks or being sure how to use him is different.
  • Options
    And so you should nla. Proven people with experience of operating at the very highest level for a number of years whereas depressingly we're a third division club, with a third division manager and third division financial status.

Not even comparable. :-(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]If he has weaknesses then you play to his strengths.

Exactly what Parky tried to do, he played him in a 4-4-1-1 and only occasionally as a sub in a 4 man midfield. Not as often as we'd have liked I agree.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]If he has weaknesses then you play to his strengths.

Exactly what Parky tried to do, he played him in a 4-4-1-1 and only occasionally as a sub in a 4 man midfield. Not as often as we'd have liked I agree.

Indeed. I remember us doing quite well at the start of the season with that system. However, it completely dropped from sight, and so did we from the automatic spots. Never reverted back to it again, and Jonjo hardly ever played. Madness if you ask me.
  • Options
    let's all readjust our thought process on the club......
    we have non-league away support , 2nd tier home support, a 4th tier manager and 3rd/4th tier players ... so based on that we're doing really well and should be happy with our lot...
    so don't get all miserable and pessimistic on here
  • Options
    Not read every post and only just found this out thanks to a Millwall supporting mate so even more shocked at the timing of this.

We all knew he was going but still gutted today. Many of us expected it during January so at least we got a few more months out of him. Just a shame he didn't play more during that period IMO but in light of what's gone on this week it's obvious he's been used sparingly to protect our most valuable asset.
  • Options
    Upset he's leaving.He is a good kid and I sincerely wish him well.In previous posts I had hoped he would have played a major part in the playoffs but the real world says there has
    to be money on the table now.That is why we have to move on and concentrate and focus on the right players and tactics for the playoffs.
    Personally I cannot see Jonjo playing again this season for us.
    He is 18 and after his dream move does anyone think the boy can switch his mind back to the playoffs.It wouldn't be fair either on Jonjo as some supporters would immediately
    blame a mistake as a lack of concentration or interest .
  • Options
    where did i say parky didnt rate him i never said that i said that once jon leaves on the 10th i would comment correctly

I dont blame the board either i dont blame parky for him leaving and i dont blame jon

Jon leaving could well save us from admin

Jon Leaving had nothing to do with parky

Jon needs to leave this club to better himself

all of which i have no issue with

my issue is what use we got out of him and the way imo he was treated after signing pro terms with us which after all he didnt have to do.

All of that is to do with Parky IMO
  • Options
    seconded
  • Options
    What a surprise. ;-)