Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    Struggling to find a thread now on Charlton Life with as much moaning on it as this one :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]where did i say parky didnt rate him i never said that i said that
    Ok fair enough then I just misunderstood you.

This is the bit I was talking about-
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]i am just infruriated that he is good enough for a big prem team but not us yet people defend pp's judgment
    I read that as Jonjo has enough ability and potential for a big club to want to sign him, but Parky doesn't see him as good enough for us.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Struggling to find a thread now on Charlton Life with as much moaning on it as this one :-)

Not suprising though is it? We've got three of the most important games of our clubs existence coming up and in preparation for that just sold our most promising player to come through for years for a fee much less than equivalent players from other clubs have gone for. Anybody loking for fun and frolics on here for the next few days (weeks?) is going to have look bloody hard.
  • Options
    If Parky wasn't confident of his abilities in central midfield it says more about PP's short-comings than JonJo's talent. He can't get the best out of any midfielder because the defence play too far behind. This affects our ability to attack, defend and control the game. It was evident last year, and if PP stays we will endure it next year.

Seeing as we have a vacancy for a creative midfielder, can we offer Harry Arter his job back?
  • Options
    Re the size of the fee confusion- just read this which was interesting on another site - can anyone on here confirm this ?

"As far as I know the Club is still a plc and so is not allowed (under Companies Acts) to, put into the public domain, information which is misleading to shareholders and the sale of a major asset is of great interest to shareholders.

I would suggest that if the initial payment figure of £1.7m is not the correct, then to publishing this information on the OS is a highly dangerous act for the club."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Re the size of the fee confusion- just read this which was interesting on another site - can anyone on here confirm this ?

"As far as I know the Club is still a plc and so is not allowed (under Companies Acts) to, put into the public domain, information which is misleading to shareholders and the sale of a major asset is of great interest to shareholders.

I would suggest that if the initial payment figure of £1.7m is not the correct, then to publishing this information on the OS is a highly dangerous act for the club."

i believe the 1.7 mill initial payment is correct, the add ons bring this up a hell of a lot all of which i believe jon is capable of achieving if they are based on his playing career
  • Options
    coming up on sky sports news rafa to talk about his new signing... Sigh.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: se9addick[/cite]Re the size of the fee confusion- just read this which was interesting on another site - can anyone on here confirm this ?

I THINK the situation could be something like this:

The "asset" is not the player on the balance sheet of a football club but the contract of that player which is amortised (written off) over time usually the length of the contract.

Therefore it COULD be that the contract is valued at £1.7 million and what are colloquially called the add ons are effectively a separate transaction.
  • Options
    lol, excellent post on an LFC forum:

"Welcome to the doom mongers Jonjo you will be judged by many on how long it takes you to make the first team and then you will be slagged off by internet warriors and eventually given heaps of grief for being crap

But welcome never the less"
  • Options
    Potentially a replacement for Gerrard in 5 years? All the big clubs are now under pressure to buy English players and Liverpool have just bought an player who was playing professional football while his mates were kicking a ball about in the school playground. Good luck to Jonjo and to Liverpool for showing some faith in our English youngsters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not just here then lol
  • Options
    It took me about two hours to read this off my phone an i can conclude from a lot of it that it might be more money than being said, steve an nla know something we dont and even tho his own uncle calls him jonjo, nla insists on calling him jon!
  • Options
    any word from parky or murray on selling shelvey yet?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]any word from parky or murray on selling shelvey yet?
    There is stuff from Murray on the OS.
  • Options
    nice work glenn southam.
  • Options
    Can understand why has gone, i'm guessing we need the money ASAP.

I agree it's very bad timing, not sure this will send the best message to the rest of the squad.

However, i think the board honestly act for the long term benefit of the club. So i'm guessing it was done at this time and for this amount for a reason.

Still not going to enjoy seeing another one of our ex players on MOTD.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]nice work glenn southam.[/quote]

Histon have had financial problems so he must have more time now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Southam
  • Options
    I can see why he's gone, I can understand it even if I don't like it. I bear him no ill will and hope he makes it onto the biggest stages of all so I can be proud to say that I saw him play for Charlton at the start of his career. Go on JJ, best of luck to you.
  • Options
    Best of luck to Jonjo. Hope it turns out to be the right move for him and his development. Appreciated the loyalty he showed and his conduct for what must have been a frustrating time over the season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Good work from Glenn Southam - not sure about Jonjo having similar attributes to Parker. Danny Murphy maybe, but not Parker.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Shelvey when Rafael Benitez leaves for Juventus this summer. The rumour is that ideally he'd like to take Mascherano, Kuyt and possibily even Torres with him.

Also from the Guardian:

Benítez restructured Liverpool's youth academy last summer, as he was frustrated by its lack of products, but Shelvey hopes to establish himself as a member of the first-team squad. He has been tracked by leading clubs for many months but he has bided his time in order to move when he felt ready, having gained valuable first-team experience.

On the day of his 17th birthday, he signed his first professional contract with Charlton, turning down the chance to join Chelsea for £3.5m. Shelvey might have reasoned that his opportunities would have been limited at Stamford Bridge and a major part of his talks with Liverpool have concerned whether Benítez would grant him his chance in the near future.

Benítez has endured a difficult season in the boardroom and on the pitch, with the former impacting on the latter. He claimed before the Europa League defeat of Benfica that he had taken the club as far as he could without new investment and it remains unclear how much money he will be given this summer, over and above what he raises through player sales.
  • Options

You have FAR too much time on your hands!
  • Options
    Anyone any idea where this 'Chelsea - £3.5m' stuff keeps cropping up from ? My understanding was that there interest was at a much, much lower level than that.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Good work from Glen Southam - not sure about Jonjo having similar attributes to Parker. Danny Murphy maybe, but not Parker.
    It's two n's. ;-)

I think he style of play is far more like Parker than Murphy. His aggression, desire and surges are far more reminiscent of Parker than Murphy - he just does it further up the field. All about opinions though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Good work from Glen Southam - not sure about Jonjo having similar attributes to Parker. Danny Murphy maybe, but not Parker.
    It's two n's. ;-)

I think he style of play is far more like Parker than Murphy. His aggression, desire and surges are far more reminiscent of Parker than Murphy - he just does it further up the field. All about opinions though.

Apologies, now edited with two n's!

Very true what you say about his determination being similar to Parker's actually, but would say Parker has always been better defensively which Jonjo does not do...at the moment! I'm sure Liverpool will sort that out though. Good article though Glenn.
  • Options
    b you are spot on

and i call him Jon to be different ;-)
  • Options
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=257254.0
  • Options
    Sorry to exhaust this but why does Jonjo have to join Liverpool on May 10th? Just wondering if it could have anything to with the 6+5 rule and him being registered as a Liverpool player at 18 years old before a certain date?
  • Options
    Parker could take possession off the opposing team in the blink of an eye, and didn't have to put the the opponent in hospital to do it, as well as being able to play attack, this is why Curbs said he was like two players allowing him to play the likes of Jensen alongside him, not sure Shelvey has displayed that kind of talent personally
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Anyone any idea where this 'Chelsea - £3.5m' stuff keeps cropping up from ? My understanding was that there interest was at a much, much lower level than that.

a report from the Guardian that was floating around on a thread yesterday which was also confirmed by Uncle.