Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    We will not I repeat NOT see Jonjo in a Charlton shirt again... Well not til we return to the premiership and he swaps shirts with one of our lot.
  • Options
    His attitude, temperament and willingness has been good throughout. A lot of other players would have "lost it" and got sent off coming on late in games after watching 80 minutes of rubbish.
  • Options
    West ham offerd 4m for dorrans from wba yesterday, a young attacking midfield player about the time the shelvey deal broke, would have thought they would have seen jonjo as an ideal signing, maybe liverpool did have first refusual.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]West ham offerd 4m for dorrans from wba yesterday, a young attacking midfield player about the time the shelvey deal broke, would have thought they would have seen jonjo as an ideal signing, maybe liverpool did have first refusual.

Ah but Dorrens is ahead of Shelvey in his development, he has been one of the stand out players in the Championship this year and as such is worth more than Shelvey a the moment, who is still just one for the future
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: GRAY9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]Best of luck to Jonjo, hope its a great move for him.

£1.7m is a good fee anyway (and definitely the one to put on the website), if you start putting the actual big figures on the website it will only make it easier for clubs to try and up potential transfer fees (whatever league we are in)

Can't see us paying a fee for any player in the near future.

Probably true! To rephrase, those we owe money to may well chase us harder if they believe we have money in the kitty.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]See there fans are welcoming him with open arms, judging a player by his name and not his talent[/quote]

Yeah out of order comment, especially coming from a Liverpool fan. This one made me laugh though:

[i]Is that Mark Fish still playing.

Booming hot him.[/i][/quote]

About as booming hot as Lisbie!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: GRAY9[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]See there fans are welcoming him with open arms, judging a player by his name and not his talent

Yeah out of order comment, especially coming from a Liverpool fan. This one made me laugh though:

Is that Mark Fish still playing.

Booming hot him.

About as booming hot as Lisbie!

Or Andy Gray... ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We've always been a selling club from Hinton/Bonds/Bailey via Walsh/Elliot, Parker and now Shelvey.

Doesn't make it any nicer but that's what we are.. Quote Henry Irving..

Yes I know and I did not agree with those or Bowyer as well!. My main point is that no player despite his contract can feel at ease at Charlton, or commit themselves to the future, and who is to say that others will not go!
    What was the haste in selling him when we have important games left, and at least have a chance of promotion!. Plenty of time in the summer to offload players, and that of course depends on what league we are in!
    We may well be in desperate financial trouble, like many other clubs, but we could not negotiate a deal to let him stay till the end of the season with an option. Find that hard to believe! And if it was, does this not send out the wrong signals to other clubs, let alone underminning the younger players!
  • Options
    in the immortal words of the 3 scousers from the Fast Show.... "calm down, calm down"

Firstly, how many Div 1 clubs will be selling players in the summer for fess in excess of £2m.............not many I bet !

Secondly, we have hardly used Shelvey to the best of his abilty this season, mainly as we have not been able to fit him into the team or our system of playing. That maybe Parky's fault, maybe not, but I think an initial fee of £1.7m with add ons for a bit part player in a Div 1 team is good business. Yes, Delph, Walcott etc all went for more, but they were playing at a higher level AND actually playing.....not sitting on the bench.

Thirdly, I think the timning has more to do with the state of our finances than anything else. Like the country at the moment, CAFC is in the poo,and like the country at the moment no-one is being truthful with how much or the pain necessary to get us out. I'd rather Shelvey go than Bailey and not sure we would get £2m odd for Bailey in the current climate.#

Lastly - I don't think its a great move for Shelvey himself and if it were me I would at lesat wait for the summer. Liverpool may not be in Europe next season and may have a change of manager.........and ther new man might not want Shelvey and may ship him out somewhere else, either on loan or permanently Remember Parket at Chelsea ?
  • Options
    true, its all specualtion, we can guess why now... but whats the point its all either positive or negative and all BS made up the in the mind of the poster...

weve got the money, we needed the money... the club will still be here next season regardless of waht happens... good news... as for 2012 who knows...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only got as far as the second page of this thread.

Christ, we have a lot of helmet "support".
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Only got as far as the second page of this thread.

Christ, we have a lot of helmet "support".[/quote]

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and "support" is loose
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Only got as far as the second page of this thread.

Christ, we have a lot of helmet "support".

Like who?
  • Options
    It's there as plain as day for all to see Rodney. Really don't want to waste my time going back all over it again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]It's there as plain as day for all to see Rodney. Really don't want to waste my time going back all over it again.

Right so personal insults are allowed against people who take a view that doesnt see positive in everything the board and manager does then? Assume its then ok for those who have a different opinion that is criticial to call those who aren't "deluded helmets" then and question their support.

Gotcha
  • Options
    Support is support, booing, and screaming abuse isnt...

No one knows the situation behind the scenes so screaming and crying and laying blame plucked purely from your own, in most cases, negative imagination is rather self indulgent dont you think....
  • Options
    WTF you on about Rodney? "personal insults"? Behave.

Wasn't talking about anyone in particular - just got as far as the second page and got fed up reading utter garbage. But that's internet message boards for you.

And by the way, there's only one person mentioned the word "deluded" mate.
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, the board pumped 7+million in to the club to keep us going till the end of the season. We are now very quickly approaching the end of the season. With no arabs or russians banging our doors down with bucket loads of cash, we need to generate money to carry on as a club. Without that cash injection from the jonjo sale then possibly we could join palace in the admin club.
    I think I will now leave this thread, your making my head hurt

Good Luck Jonjo
  • Options
    Im not really too fussed about the fact Jonjo's gone, the thing that annoys me the most is the timing of the transfer!!Kinda like the Reidy transfer, in a season where the playoffs were looking good, we go and sell our best player!
  • Options
    admin and ideally rebirth or slow death with no assets left, you choose..

:D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At Least we can look forward to a Liverpool friendly in the summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Im not really too fussed about the fact Jonjo's gone, the thing that annoys me the most is the timing of the transfer!!Kinda like the Reidy transfer, in a season where the playoffs were looking good, we go and sell our best player!
    No. Liverpool come and buy our best player.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Support is support, booing, and screaming abuse isnt...

No one knows the situation behind the scenes so screaming and crying and laying blame plucked purely from your own, in most cases, negative imagination is rather self indulgent dont you think....

Negative imagination? Have I dreamt our downfall in every department then?

Maybe i am negative but I havent seen anything really positive happening at the club for a few seasons now bar maybe the first six games of this term and our youngsters like Shelvey and Wagstaff coming through who i hoped we would rely on to build our future on not rely on some pipe dream that we will get liverpool loanees.
  • Options
    Yes the Reid situation is a good comparrison, not in players ability but the timing and what is signalled at the time and the financial disaster that has resulted since!.

As I posted yesterday the future of Charlton is in the young players we produce, not waiting for a wealthy benefactor to wave a big cheque book, or a miracle manager, half the league have that aspiration, including Liverpool!
  • Options
    mate we all know its screwed... crying and moaning about it aint gonna change nothing...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]mate we all know its screwed... crying and moaning about it aint gonna change nothing...

I know but just accepting things certainly isnt either and there isnt much else i can do other than bitch on an internet forum as Murray and Parkinson have blocked my mail!
  • Options
    I don't think anyone can be accused of being negative during the current situation, until any kind of buyer comes in or we go into admin we are on the brink, and living hand to mouth - but as others have said we all know this to be the case, don't we?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Im not really too fussed about the fact Jonjo's gone, the thing that annoys me the most is the timing of the transfer!!Kinda like the Reidy transfer, in a season where the playoffs were looking good, we go and sell our best player!
    No. Liverpool come and buy our best player.

Our 'best' player who has probably played well about 5 times all season!
  • Options
    So has the team Chris
  • Options
    A friendly against Liverpool would be good actually. I hope we get to give Jonjo a proper send off on Saturday if it's just a little wave before kick off. Too many players (Bent, Reid & Powell) have been allowed to leave through the back door recently without allowing the fans to say thankyou.