Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Shelvey to sign for Liverpool - Confirmed+++

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I don't disagree at all, different player, but parker for me had a better all round game, so far that is - which I also agree on
    Of course, but Parker didn't have that until he was 20/21. What was Parker like at 18? Don't remember him being known for hard tackles, he changed his game to win a place in the team didn't he?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite][cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Parky must be a master negotiator.

All that money for a player that can't even get into a league one side.

Wowee, Parky sure is amazing.....
    don't think Parky had a say to be fair!

You mean Parky isnt a master negotiator.

Damnit.....
  • Options
    VG he was fishing for Uncs reaction that was bloody obvious

Jay spearing is heading this way from what i heard today next season i dont know if it was linked to Jojo going to them or if this is going to be a sign of things going forward

Spearing was the captain of the Liverpool Under 18s who won the FA Youth Cup in 2007. He featured the previous season in the final against Manchester City, but missed the majority of the season due to a broken leg. Spearing was promoted to Melwood in the summer of 2007, to train with the Liverpool first team, after impressing in the club's Academy. He has been involved with his boyhood club since he was eight years old.

He was voted the best player in the Torneo di Renate, a competition for under-20 sides, competing against clubs such as Milan and Parma. He was also part of the Reserve side which won the Premier Reserve League in the 2007–08 season.[1] Spearing made his competitive first team debut on 9 December 2008, coming on as a substitute in a 3–1 UEFA Champions League win against PSV Eindhoven.[2] Spearing also appeared in the Reds' 4–0 win over Real Madrid in the second round of the Champions League as a second half substitute. Spearing put in an impressive performance after receiving a tremendous reception from Liverpool fans on the Kop.[3]

On 31 March 2009, Rafael Benítez announced that he would be offering Spearing a new contract, alongside fellow home-grown youngster Stephen Darby. On 6 July 2009, Spearing agreed to a new three-year contract with Liverpool.

On 22 September 2009, Jay made his first start for Liverpool, playing the full 90 minutes in a League Cup tie against Leeds United at Elland Road. Liverpool came out on top in a 1-0 victory. with Spearing hoping that his run-out at Leeds could be the springboard to future starts in the red shirt, saying "I felt I did alright and hopefully I've proved to the boss and the supporters that I can do it for the first team".[4]

Spearing made his first Premier League start at Sunderland on 17 October 2009, he was later substituted for Javier Mascherano. He received the man of the match award from the journalist on the official Liverpool website.[citation needed]

On the 28 October, he started against Arsenal in a League Cup tie at the Emirates Stadium playing the full 90 minutes, Liverpool lost 2–1.

On the 26 December he came on as a second half substitute for Yossi Benayoun for the last 3 minutes of the game in a 2-0 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers.

On 22 March 2010, Liverpool confirmed Spearing would join Leicester City on loan until the end of the 2009-10 season, linking up with former Liverpool team mate Jack Hobbs.[5]
  • Options
    Good player Spearing, centre midfield though isn't he? Unless Semedo is leaving I wouldn't take him. I'd rather have a winger or forward.
  • Options
    Can I be the first to moan about spearing, he looks like a shorter and uglier than Wayne Rooney
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Good player Spearing, centre midfield though isn't he? Unless Semedo is leaving I wouldn't take him. I'd rather have a winger or forward.
    [cite]Posted By: cfgs[/cite]Can I be the first to moan about spearing

Beat you to it I'm afraid!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I don't disagree at all, different player, but parker for me had a better all round game, so far that is - which I also agree on
    Of course, but Parker didn't have that until he was 20/21. What was Parker like at 18? Don't remember him being known for hard tackles, he changed his game to win a place in the team didn't he?

Which is why I said "so far" at the end..
  • Options
    Richard Murray: Jonjo Shelvey sale helps safeguard Charlton's financial future

Thursday, 29 April 2010
    By John Stanton

CHARLTON chairman Richard Murray says he had to sell Jonjo Shelvey to Liverpool this week to help safeguard the club’s long-term future.

The 18-year-old signed for the Anfield side in a £1.7million deal on Wednesday, with the fee almost doubling depending on a number of clauses.

“It was a fairly clear-cut decision to sell him,” said Murray. “We lost £10million last year and we will make another substantial loss this year. As anyone who knows anything about football can testify, there are lots of clubs in real financial trouble and we feel it’s the number one priority to make sure Charlton has a future.

“Everyone knows the directors put in £7million earlier this season, so anyone who thinks we’re a buying club after two relegations is mistaken.

What third division club can turn down a fee of £3million? Some people have got to get real.

“Our total gate receipts come to about £2million a year, so we needed this money. How do fans expect us to carry on without doing this? I would hope that our supporters are grateful that we’re trying to secure the club’s long-term future.”

For the full story and all the latest Charlton news, see Friday's South London Press.

"...a fee of £3m...".

They confirmed the sell-on, appearance and international cap clauses on the OS (well, not the details), but Murray has come out and said "a fee of £3m".

"Initially £1.7m" has been mentioned everywhere. Could we be getting £3m in total, but the other £1.3m in instalments or something? Also fits in with uncle mentioning closer to £1.7m.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/Sport.cfm?id=15278&headline=Richard%20Murray:%20Jonjo%20Shelvey%20sale%20helps%20safeguard%20Charlton's%20financial%20future
  • Options
    So we are not actually getting the reddies today, tommorow, but on appearence, in 2-5 years ish......
    £1.7 in the bank this week or during the summer.....
    Obviously I have to get 'real' .......
    “We lost £10million last year and we will make another substantial loss this year...... presumably near £7m that was invested.....
    freindly loans was about £20 million plus yes..... just keeping tabs
    Remind me again agents fees of how much was it!..... last year
    How much this year!......So we sold JJ to pay for 'Agents fees'......yes/no!
    'Gotta get real'.......
  • Options
    Wonder if he means £3m after all the clauses, of £3m with clauses if he's plays for Liverpool and England.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]Parky must be a master negotiator.

All that money for a player that can't even get into a league one side.

Wowee, Parky sure is amazing.....
    don't think Parky had a say to be fair!
    Oh he did mate.
    Ketman i'll be in the lib saturday dont you worry. Upton park is to expensive ;-)
    TRR the nephew coming through aint a shelvey its my sisters boy so got another name

Thats good, and you won't even have to change your username!
  • Options
    Reading between the lines of what Uncle has said regarding fees and appearances. Could it be possible that Jonjo has been guaranteed 15 - 20 first team appearances this season, and that we stand to get another million or so once he has completed 15 - 20 appearances? Sort of forming the opposite of a vicious circle (a happy circle?).
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Reading between the lines of what Uncle has said regarding fees and appearances. Could it be possible that Jonjo has been guaranteed 15 - 20 first team appearances this season, and that we stand to get another million or so once he has completed 15 - 20 appearances? Sort of forming the opposite of a vicious circle (a happy circle?).[/quote]

Can't see Liverpool guaranteeing any player 15 or 20 appearances, let alone a teenager who's yet to play in the Prem.
    Nice thinking, though.

;o)
  • Options
    Cheers for being generous Oggy, it was a red wine induced moment of errrr clarity. Could off course be several in League/FA cup, a few more in Europa league and a number of late substitute appearances.
  • Options
    Leicester City player of the year this season was Jack Hobbs. Guess who he belongs to?

Getting a Liverpool player or two for a year could be perfect for us - time will tell
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Leicester City player of the year this season was Jack Hobbs. Guess who he belongs to?

Getting a Liverpool player or two for a year could be perfect for us - time will tell

yep why go to championship leicester when you can play for us in league one, oh we might go up!
    but leicester is nearer boooooo
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]So we are not actually getting the reddies today, tommorow, but on appearence, in 2-5 years ish......
    £1.7 in the bank this week or during the summer.....
    Obviously I have to get 'real' .......
    “We lost £10million last year and we will make another substantial loss this year...... presumably near £7m that was invested.....
    freindly loans was about £20 million plus yes..... just keeping tabs
    Remind me again agents fees of how much was it!..... last year
    How much this year!......So we sold JJ to pay for 'Agents fees'......yes/no!
    'Gotta get real'.......

The club is screwed...... thats it, so we need to selel him and prob everyone else if we dont get promoted ...
  • Options
    stay positive mascot ... the season hasn't finished yet!
  • Options
    I know mate, I know... you know Im positive... just in this sea of tears.....

as long as the doors stay opne thats what is more important....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]The club is screwed...... thats it, so we need to selel him and prob everyone else if we dont get promoted

Sell the ground, sell the players, sell the potholes, sell Ethel the tea lady. Not ideal I know, and we'd have to play in the local park, but at least we'd still have a club and that's the most important thing!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Cheers for being generous Oggy, it was a red wine induced moment of errrr clarity.

Claret-y more like!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Cheers for being generous Oggy, it was a red wine induced moment of errrr clarity.

Claret-y more like!

No wonder they exiled you!!!!! ;-)
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8611991.stm
    Liverpool youth coach Rodolfo Borrell has revealed how surprised he was by the poor quality of the club's academy when he arrived at the club in 2009.

Borrell, who came with Jose Segura from Barcelona, believes it could take another two years before a player breaks through into the first team.

"The reality of what we found here was unacceptable," Borrell told BBC Sport.

The likes of Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen all came through the Liverpool ranks.

But since that crop of talented youngsters, the Liverpool academy has struggled to develop a regular supply of players ready for the demands of the Premier League and European football.

Striker Neil Mellor featured intermittently under Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez before being released to Preston, while full-back Stephen Warnock has gone on to play for England since leaving the Reds for Blackburn and then Aston Villa.

...the club have a long-term plan to bring "British players with passion"...

"The under-18s had no centre forward, no balance. They had no tactical level, no understanding of the game," said Borrell

Liverpool's academy features players from Hungary, Iceland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Spain, Portugal and Australia, but Borrell says the priority is to produce English players.

Some of this has already come up elsewhere, but seems Shelvey is the start of Liverpool trying to bring through English youngsters. What happens if they're taken over and a new manager comes in though, they might have completely different ideas?
  • Options
    I still think we should of been more ruthless when selling Jonjo and told Liverpool that he is our player so we do what we want with him this season rather than let him go early. Think the board have messed up here.

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-blogs/liverpools-millions-should-be-the-last-thing-on-murrays-mind
  • Options
    It's simple really, we need the money. Apart from season ticket sales, there's not much income from elsewhere once the season ends.
  • Options
    Oggy i'm surprised at you mate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Cordoban Addick[/cite]Reading between the lines of what Uncle has said regarding fees and appearances. Could it be possible that Jonjo has been guaranteed 15 - 20 first team appearances this season, and that we stand to get another million or so once he has completed 15 - 20 appearances? Sort of forming the opposite of a vicious circle (a happy circle?).

Can't see Liverpool guaranteeing any player 15 or 20 appearances, let alone a teenager who's yet to play in the Prem.
    Nice thinking, though.

;o)
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]Oggy i'm surprised at you mate.

So, Uncle - are you saying Liverpool have guaranteed Jonjo will play 15 plus games next season in the first team, even if he's playing shite ? I can't believe any manager would stand for that. Also, if it was that easy to get that into a contract, each team would be playing 20 a side.
  • Options
    I thought i had already stated this quite clearly yet it seems i have to keep on repeating myself.
  • Options
    wat did you say al

Jonjo to Liverpool no fooking way

i must of missed it ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: uncle[/cite]I thought i had already stated this quite clearly yet it seems i have to keep on repeating myself.

Well as long as you have personally seen the contract Jonjo signed and it guarantees him making 15 first team appearances next season, then I'll take your word. Does seem very hard to believe, but if you've personally seen the contract, so be it.

Anyway I'll win my bet with a mate, who said he'd never play in the Prem :-)