Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Millwall vs. Charlton - ALL views, teams selections and news in here please (oh, there's a poll)

WSSWSS
edited March 2010 in General Charlton
So here we go. After just over 14 years of revelling in a Kim Grant brace to secure a 2-0 win in front of 11,000 we hope to get a similar result in front of 17,000 at the New Den resulting in us ultimately playing in a higher division than Millwall for the next 14 years…

This is a big test for Charlton, having had a favourable set of weekend results (including Colchester dropping points at home last night) you sense that a win at Millwall on Saturday in front of 3,000 travelling fans could really kick-start a somewhat stuttering 2010 and promotion push.

I have no doubt that both sets of fans are going to be really up for this game, and I also think the Millwall players will be in front of a packed house – the question is, will we be? Can we cope with the expectation? Can we perform and keep our composure while playing the game at 100% for 90 minutes? Can the management make the right decisions at the right time if needed? Will every single player wearing the red shirt of Charlton Athletic on Saturday afternoon stand up and be counted?

I hope so, and I hope it is being drilled into the players all of this week.

Millwall’s preparations for the game are being interrupted by a trip to Carlisle tonight where Neil Harris is still a doubt after going off injured in their last gasp draw at Walsall at the weekend. We hope it’s not too serious…

With Millwall sitting top of the current form table (last 8 games), and Charlton sitting in 4th spot in the away league table it promises to be a good game and with 3 wins out of 4, albeit none in spectacular fashion, Charlton should be confident of throwing a spanner in the works in the current overall form of Millwall. Akpo Sodje is on fire with 3 goals in 3 games and Bailey is due a goal sooner rather than later surely…

Someone really has the chance to become an instant Charlton legend in this game. Who wants the title?

As for the team, I can’t see anything other than 4-4-2 (although I’d prefer to flood the midfield with numbers and creativity). Left back is of serious concern and Parky is probably fretting about what to do. Can the youngster Solly cope with a big game? Is Semedo really a left back? Can Richardson play out there? I think Solly will play.

In the midfield, I’d drop the lethargic and showboating Racon for the added steel of Semedo allowing Bailey to get forward and pose more of a threat in the opposition box. Sam and Reid on the wings.

We can’t drop Akpo and Burton came on on Saturday with a view to get some match practice so I think we’ll see those two up front.

This is a big game, in front of a big crowd and now we need some big characters and big performances to make this a day to remember.

Come on Charlton, step up to the plate and grab that last minute 3-2 win.

Come on you reds!

Comments

• i think we will nick a win just a sneaky feeling,

Burton brace, in a 1 -2 win
  • Not confident, but in the end it's one game and worth the same point as every other match. A win would be great for confidence though.

Parky's got some important decisions to make, especially at left back there might not even be a correct choice.

I hope Burton is fit enough to start, he can offer everything Mooney can and a bit more. Obviously play Akpo while he's scoring goals.

Agree about Semedo for Racon. I think Racon would probably disappear, for all the skill he has he doesn't actually create much and hasn't impressed in a 442. Perhaps play him in a 451, but then you could argue Shelvey should be ahead of him.
  • 1-1 draw, agree with WSS summary entirely other than the result.

Hope the players and fans are up for it.
  • I can't see us winning to be honest and i'm an optimist.

Another score draw for me, 2-2. With a red card for Semedo. Bailey late equaliser.
  • Semedo back, Jackson will play.

The big crowd will put pressure on the Millwall players more than ours especially if we keep it tight for the first 20 minutes.

Not going to be pretty but think we will get a positive result. 2 - 1 to the Addicks.
  • I think its going to be an absolute cracker, one of those games talked about for years.

I can see us going there doing a professional job, and finally getting us all excited ahead of the run in.

1st 20 minutes will be key IMO. Can see a few of ours being targeted early for some rough stuff, and how we react is essential. Defence is my main concern, Jackson really needs to not just make this one, but be fully fit. Frazer needs to to find his pre-injury form (i think he will). Its Dailly and Llera that are the big concern for me, i don't think Dailly coped well with them in the first game, and Llera is fully committed but prone to mistakes.

How well a platform those 4 give will determine how well we will do.
  • aye, a draw with us getting a late equalizer. and we'll all be friends afterwards.
  • Think this will be a very nervy draw. 1-1
  • we have no chance.
  • Im going for 3-1 win to charlton, come on you reds!!!

Goals from Burton, Akpo & Bailey
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we're going to get a bit of a stuffing unfortunately with plenty of players going missing.

Charlton end practically empty by the final whistle.
  • I don't feel confident.
    If we manage a draw, ideally with a comeback rather than us giving it away, I'll be elated.
  • Hope we start with a 451 for this one. Just think our central midfield combinations are either too weak or lack creativity. Don't see Parky changing his mind so i hope i'm wrong.
  • Spanners 0, Addicks 3.

Bailey first, then Sodje (A) with a late Jonjo goal to finish it off. I think people really are over estimating the qualities of Millwall in some posts above. They are a bog standard league 1 team. We have the beating of them as we do with any of the teams in this league and I have no doubts that this team will be up for it.

Leeds will lose to Southampton too (although I think they will win tonight), so it will be real close up at the top!
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]we have no chance.

agreed .... twenty times bitten twice shy ...
  • edited March 2010
    Got a hunch we will nick it...

I think Parky should set aside his usual selection criteria and simply pick the XI with the most steel and who won't buckle. All those who are prone to go hiding when it gets nasty can sit this one out.

Not sure what XI that is - Parky has to make that judgement because its a psychological assesment as much as anything. It might mean no Sam. Probably means no Racon.

For me, Spring would pass the test as someone who gives no quarter, although I'm certain he's not in Parky's thinking. Got a feeling young Solly might have a touch of steel about him and wouldn't be too worried if he was in the starting line-up.

We'll win by a single goal. Either 1-2 or 2-3...
  • Away win.... (even though I voted for a draw)

Gonna be a big game, and I PRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY that Emma isn't allowed even near the mike..... I dont want to be listening to the Millwall commentary, although that could be great if we are winning....
  • Millwall have lost only 1 league game at home this season.
    imo, our shrinking violets wont change that.
    Please prove me wrong.
  • This season at the Den, Millwall have beaten Norwich, Leeds, Colchester, Huddersfield and Mk Dons. The only decent side they failed to beat were Southampton where they drew 1-1. They clearly raise their game for the big occasion and they have the best home defensive record of any of the promotion chasing sides. Whilst i'm hoping and praying we can do something remarkable and nick a win, my head says they will edge it 2-1.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]This season at the Den, Millwall have beaten Norwich, Leeds, Colchester, Huddersfield and Mk Dons. The only decent side they failed to beat were Southampton where they drew 1-1. They clearly raise their game for the big occasion and they have the best home defensive record of any of the promotion chasing sides. Whilst i'm hoping and praying we can do something remarkable and nick a win, my head says they will edge it 2-1.[/quote]

So they have got lucky a few times, doesn't mean they will again on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• dailly does not enjoy playing against millwall. at the valley he was given a torrid time when their tactics caught us out as they tried to play football and ran at him,even with our player advantage. i think this was similar performance for dailly earlier in his career.

i can't see us winning this,let alone scoring.

3-0 home win.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]This season at the Den, Millwall have beaten Norwich, Leeds, Colchester, Huddersfield and Mk Dons. The only decent side they failed to beat were Southampton where they drew 1-1. They clearly raise their game for the big occasion and they have the best home defensive record of any of the promotion chasing sides. Whilst i'm hoping and praying we can do something remarkable and nick a win, my head says they will edge it 2-1.

So they have got lucky a few times, doesn't mean they will again on Saturday.

I'm not quite sure how them beating every side in the top 8 that they've played constitutes being lucky.
  • It's a derby game. Form goes out the window!
  • Not optimistic, but hoping Jackson, Semedo and Burton play. If so, we might scrape a draw against a more committed side, roared on by a rabid crowd.

Am also hoping to leave the area in one piece.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]It's a derby game. Form goes out the window![/quote]

Spot on, and that is why I am more confident than I have been for a while. I just think our players will be up for it, there will be a big contingent of us roaring them on, and we do have characters in the team....Bailey, Sodje, Semedo, Richardson, Burton, Reid...these players seem to me to have the character as does Dailly (even if he hasn't played well against Millwall in the past). I think Sam will have a good game too as he is due one.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]It's a derby game. Form goes out the window!

Spot on, and that is why I am more confident than I have been for a while. I just think our players will be up for it, there will be a big contingent of us roaring them on, and we do have characters in the team....Bailey, Sodje, Semedo, Richardson, Burton, Reid...these players seem to me to have the character as does Dailly (even if he hasn't played well against Millwall in the past). I think Sam will have a good game too as he is due one.

You're certainly more confident than i am, personally i reckon Sam will get clattered by Dunne in the first 5 minutes and then go missing, look knackered after about 20 minutes and get subbed for Wagstaff after 70 minutes.
  • If Jackson is injured, why not play Llera at left back for this game:

Back four: Richardson / Sodje / Dailly / Llera - we will need there combined body strength and aerial capabilities (at the back and up front) for this battle!
  • i'd put Sodje at LB less chance of him giving away a penalty and he is pacier than the other two
  • Llera or Sodje at left back would be better than throwing Solly in for a game like this (if Jackson is injured)
  • Looks like Jackson's out:

SLP Sport
    Charlton ponder move into loan market
    Tuesday, 09 March 2010

By John Stanton
    CHARLTON manager Phil Parkinson could be forced to make an emergency move into the transfer market this week after he lost yet another defender to injury.
    On-loan Johnnie Jackson - brought in to cover for the injured Grant Basey and Kelly Youga - hobbled off against Stockport on Saturday with a hamstring problem.
    That is a major headache for Parkinson ahead of the trip to Millwall this weekend, and he is poised to talk to the club’s board about releasing funds to make a loan signing.
    “Jacko was due to have a scan on Monday,” said Parkinson. “I’m not a physio but experience tells me that it’s not looking good.
    “I’ll be speaking to the board this week to see where we go from here and whether we can do anything.”
    For the full story and the latest Charlton news, see Tuesday's South London Press.