Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• A mouth watering prospect
  • We could do alot worse than Flood. Was highly rated at Man City and Cardiff. Had a good spell at Celtic. Might be that he is a victim of Strachan getting the boot as he signed him from Celtic.
  • I bet him insuring him will be costly
  • Will end in tears ;0)
  • No doubt this will unleash a torrent of speculation.
  • On the other hand if it works out he could hailed a hero
  • ... Ark. Something. Wit. 
  • You're all just p*ss*ng about.....
  • german centre back martin stoll set to join
  • finnish right back veli lampi has had medical on sunday at the valley
  • Sponsored links:

• guess wher the reliable football rumours
  • Willo Flood? He's off to Newcastle to join the Tsunami.
  • prepare to be underwhelmed.
  • edited May 2011
    @LargeAddick

A hunch or have you heard this?
  • let's just say that the playing budget is less than I hoped it would be.
  • Well hopefully that isn't the case... if there is one thing the board were meant to (and will have to) do, it's put their hands in their pockets.
  • Unfortunetly Large is correct :( .
  • Sponsored links:

• @ISawLeaburnScore

They will put their hands in their pockets but they won't be pulling out as much as some of us think.
  • edited May 2011
    Well I think anyone throwing around 3's and 4's and 5 millions are going to be disappointed but that's a given for anyone with an ounce of realism.

However, I would like to think that being one of the best payers in the division and looking at a couple of players in up to the £few100k price range are going to be within our reach.
  • Dont keep us in suspense Large / drawnablank I want to go to bed how much we talking about
  • CP said that the total playing budget (including current and new wages and fees) will be LESS than the 4 m for the season just gone.
  • We are a big club with a big fan base, a nice stadium and in a good location. Financially we don't reflect that and are more in line with a medium sized League One club.
  • So Powell with a lower budget will not only have the expectation of promotion like Parkinson, but he must also get the team playing exciting football.

Now we could let Semedo, Racon and Youga all go, they probably take up something like £800-900k a year in wages between them. They'd  then all need replacing (including Youga with Bessone back at Leeds) with a player on less wages but good enough to help us win promotion and play attractive football.

I never expected anything like millions on proven Championship players, but it suggests Powell will be looking for frees, bargains and loans just as Parky had to. I just hope the improvements to scouting mentioned in the programme and all the contacts of Jimenez, Vetere etc help us bring in more quality than we managed to last summer.

We've lowered the budget every year since relegation from the Prem and it's not surprising with that the quality of the squad has got worse each time. How often do clubs lower their budget but go on to sign better players and build a stronger squad? Is there anyone confident it's going to be different this time?
  • Words are cheap when it comes to buying players and until supporters see genuine signings and commitment on the park the crowds won't come back.

The goodwill towards the club is still there, but the people of our part of SE London are not mugs.

My main concern has always been the pisspoor scouting.

• I have had no 'inside info' or anything, but I have always said all this talk of Nugent/Phillips etc. has been pipe dreams, there is no way we could afford them. The only advantage Powell will have compared to Parky is possibly having better contacts through his time as PFA Chairman, and Jiminez and Vetere in the background. People said we need a complete rehaul, with people like Semedo a squad player at best? I'm sorry but that is not ever going to happen, how on earth can you possibly imagine that we are going to get in at least 3 central midfielders who are willing to play in the third tier of english footballer, who are better than Semedo, and who we don't really need compared to other positions? (DEFENCE!!!!)
  • Started a Where We Are Now thread so we can get back to using this as a place to post rumours.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!