Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]how do people feel about Bauza now Martin and Abbott are here?

Smart got poor reviews so still a wide man and a striker required or something else.

Ipswich seemed to be after two strikers which be good news for us ie we can keep martin

We still need another striker - Akpo, Martin and Abbot aren't enough for a full campaign.

And didn't we sign Martin on a season loan? Presumably there's some small print in there that allows for his recall in January, but that still gives us half a season.

Said in the SLP that there's an option of a recall in January.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Smart got poor reviews so still a wide man and a striker required or something else.

It seems he's not done much pre-season training - so maybe off the pace because he's not yet fit enough?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

It seems he's not done much pre-season training - so maybe off the pace because he's not yet fit enough?

nor good enough. Can't do much about that.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]nor good enough. Can't do much about that.
    Fair enough. Large.

You've seen him play, I haven't.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]nor good enough. Can't do much about that.
    Fair enough. Large.

It's never really fair to judge a player on one performance, especially if fitness is an issue - remember Omosuzi? Smally Bart did chuff all on tuesday night though. I can forgive his touch letting him down or things not coming off for him, but I'd have liked to have seen a whole lot more effort and enthusiam from a player supposedly trying to earn a contract, even if that meant he tired badly, but he never really got going at all.

I'd be happier sticking with Waggy rather than sign Smart and I don't really rate Waggy.

Martin could play with either Akpo or Abbott imo, but his best position is clearly playing a bit deeper. That probably makes Bauza a bit superfluous (sp?). Another poacher/on the shoulders type striker would be worth signing though imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]nor good enough. Can't do much about that.
    Fair enough. Large.

It's never really fair to judge a player on one performance, especially if fitness is an issue - remember Omosuzi? Smally Bart did chuff all on tuesday night though. I can forgive his touch letting him down or things not coming off for him, but I'd have liked to have seen a whole lot more effort and enthusiam from a player supposedly trying to earn a contract, even if that meant he tired badly, but he never really got going at all.

I'd be happier sticking with Waggy rather than sign Smart and I don't really rate Waggy.

Martin could play with either Akpo or Abbott imo, but his best position is clearly playing a bit deeper. That probably makes Bauza a bit superfluous (sp?). Another poacher/on the shoulders type striker would be worth signing though imo.

would you see Shrewsbury nippy striker Jake Robinson as an option?. Took his goal very well and his movement was excellant.
  • Jake Robinson fits the bill to what we're looking for, and as an added bonus can play as a winger. however he is yet to prove himself. off to a flyer this season, scoring a hattrick against bradford and then scoring against us. however he only managed 4 goals all last season. think we need to wait and see whether he's found his mojo or whether it's a flash in a pan.
  • Would prefer Jon-Paul Pittman from Wycombe
  • In response to large on the previous page:

Robinson certainly caused us problems, but then he was running at Llera and Mambo - one always looks uncomfortable against small nippy strikers and the other was making his full debut and is another big lump type centre back. Again, it was one match so hard to give a fair judgement, but he obviously has potential - would he be available cheaply enough though?
  • They only signed him a year ago I think, but he might only have a year left on his contract.

Would certainly be a gamble and people would moan he's not proven enough. Sometimes strikers just need the right move and team around them though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sam Sodje is going MK Dons according to @nichorob
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Sam Sodje is going MK Dons according to @nichorob

He has been in Greece most of the summer on trial with Xanthi but they didn't offer him a deal, he is now back and training with MK Dons who are said to be close to offering a contract.
  • would love Sodje (or a fit Fotune) back...I guess Fry is likely to be third choice and assuming he is any good we prob don't need somone else but Llera is a big worry to me.
  • I thought Sodje actually signed for them, but then cancelled his contract after 5 days?
  • [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]I thought Sodje actually signed for them, but then cancelled his contract after 5 days?

He did, 3 days.
  • [cite]Posted By: UP...THE...ADDICKS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]I thought Sodje actually signed for them, but then cancelled his contract after 5 days?

He did, 3 days.

failed medical i heard
  • I've read that Orlando Smeekes is doing a trial period at CAFC. He truly is an amazing player, with a lot of pace and a lot of skill on the ball. Although he does have personal issues, which you can probably read about on the web, he is an amazing person. I've seen him play at my club in Holland and he still is one of my alltime favorites, was pleased to read that he did so well in Germany. At every club he's played for he was a crowd favorite and when people cheer him on it brings the best out of him. Certainly worth signing him. I've seen Kyel Reid play last season a couple of times, a very good player for this level and probably the Championship too, but I must say Smeekes in a good form is more of a threat at this level. He exceeds him in pace and skills, but he sometimes lacks the mentality in certain games. But when he gets the confidence from the crowd and staff he can't be stopped.
  • Sounds interesting but the trial is not confirmed elsewhere ?
  • Thanks for the low-down. he sounds like a decent player and could do a job for us. however i heard when he was at Coventry on trial his current club said they wanted £200,000 for him... we couldn't afford that.
  • If we could'nt afford any potential agreed fee ,we would not have him on trial imho
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]Thanks for the low-down. he sounds like a decent player and could do a job for us. however i heard when he was at Coventry on trial his current club said they wanted £200,000 for him... we couldn't afford that.
    Maybe we can for the right player, we must have bid at least £100k for Benson?

Said before this Smeekes would be a big risk, one season of scoring goals (unless we're looking af him as a winger?), never played over here before and isn't far off 30. We don't have time to pay that sort of money for a player and wait for him to adapt.

If we spend that sort of money surely it'll be on someone we are almost certain can come in and have a big impact from the start.
  • Think Smeekes is back in Germany...

with his club figuring out how to overturn or get around a four-game suspension.

Imagine also that it would be difficult for the Jena club to let Smeekes go in the wake of an annihilation at the hands of recently promoted Saarbrucken (7-0) while he was absent.
  • [cite]Posted By: collegeparkaddick[/cite]Think Smeekes is back in Germany...

with his club figuring out how to overturn or get around a four-game suspension.

Imagine also that it would be difficult for the Jena club to let Smeekes go in the wake of an annihilation at the hands of recently promoted Saarbrucken (7-0) while he was absent.

What an interesting article ;0)
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Said before this Smeekes would be a big risk, one season of scoring goals (unless we're looking af him as a winger?), never played over here before and isn't far off 30

He's 27.

3 years younger than Paul Benson.
  • It's all gone vey quiet. Anyone heard anything ? Only 14 days left.
  • we only need ten men, why sign more?

not really 14 days as we can still loan players after 7 Sept and that is what I suspect we will do.
  • I reckon we'll sign Benson in time for him to get two hat-tricks, in the space of a fortnight, against his old team!
  • I think the majority if not all the players coming in now will be on loan deals.

As long as we don't lose a big player on deadline day (Danny Murphy springs to mind) I'll be happy.

We could get that Shelvey bloke from Liverpool, especially as we have 'an agreement'.
  • Not quite got my head round the 25 player rule in the Prem, is that a possible benefit to us. I know we won't get bellamy but with the size of Prem squads coul;d there be a trickle down effect of Prem players being loaned to the Cha,pionship and Championship players being loaned to tier 3.
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]Not quite got my head round the 25 player rule in the Prem, is that a possible benefit to us. I know we won't get bellamy but with the size of Prem squads coul;d there be a trickle down effect of Prem players being loaned to the Cha,pionship and Championship players being loaned to tier 3.
    Possibly yes. Even if it's not directly benefitting us, we're not going to get senior players that didn't make their clubs squad, but if they go to Championship sides we might then get players from them who can't get into the team.

Players u21 don't have to be included (though I guess some will as they might count as 8 of the 'home grown' players). If we're getting any loans from Prem clubs they're most likely only going to be young players like Fry.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!