Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• I've always noticed abbott on soccer Saturday and he's always struck me as a better than average league 1 player. Therefore good signing as we are a better than average league 1 team, with no money! Happy he's proven unlike Dickson and fleetwood, whilst with reidy and waggy crossing them in, he should get at least 15 goals, if not more now he has service.

Definitely need a couple more strikers though....
  • Abbot goalscoring record is pretty good to be fair

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=24126
  • Like most I enjoy the crazy transfer talk but take it with about a ton of salt, the rowan vine mobile has to be one of the best. However I would like to say that I was really fearing who or what we would be bringing to the valley this pre season what with the money just not being there, and I want to say how well parky and murray and kavanagh have done in securing some top players. I really though we would be seeing 36 year old acrington stanley cast offs and 17 year olds from the screwfix league but the work they have done is nowt short of brilliant. Doherty and reid come in for special mention to get both for free could be one of the best bits of business ever done. Keep the fun and games going lads with the rumours. On my way to work a massive land rover turned down floyd road towards the valley, there was a tallish white guy with black hair driving it didn't reconise him but looked like a pro footballer.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Abbot goalscoring record is pretty good to be fair

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=24126

Goal every 2 starts or 1 every 3 appearances including subs. Very tidy, certainly not to be sniffed at.
  • I agree with Rothko tbh. We are not swamped with quality strikers at the minute and Abbott's record at this level more than proves he would be a useful signing, bring it on!
  • Dagenham and Redbridge have said they've rejected two bids from us for striker Paul Benson:

Skysports.com understands Dagenham & Redbridge have rejected two bids from Charlton for striker Paul Benson.

Charlton boss Phil Parkinson has targeted a move for Benson as he looks to add to his attacking options at the Valley.

Benson has been a massive success at Dagenham since joining the club in 2005 scoring 70 goals in 171 appearances and helping them climb from the Conference to League One.

Daggers boss John Still has confirmed to skysports.com that the bids from Charlton were some way apart from their valuation of the 30-year-old.

"Charlton have spoken to us and they have made two bids for Paul Benson," Still told skysports.com.

"But the offers were nowhere near our valuation of Paul.

"Absoutely we want to keep him as he is a quality player, but we have always been sensible in letting players move on.

"We will not stand in his way if the right offer is made and the move is right for Paul.

"We've left it with Charlton and we will see what they do next."
  • Interesting one, he's 30 and played no higher than League Two. Like Abbott another over 6 ft.
  • Doesn't someone on here know Benson? Maybe they could enlighten us as to what's going on.
  • Think nla may have the links
  • An Oldham fan who's alledgedly itk says he spoke to Dickov today and he said Abbott was down having a medical with us today. Some Oldham fans seem bothered, others less so.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]An Oldham fan who's alledgedly itk says he spoke to Dickov today and he said Abbott was down having a medical with us today. Some Oldham fans seem bothered, others less so.

Abbott?

You sure it wasn't Costello.....?
  • I would have Abbot over Benson any day of the week

I am not fussed with Benson in the slightest but Abbot is proven at this level and would be a very useful addition.
  • Sodje, Abbott and Benson are all over 6ft, and probably not very pacy either. We need a little, quick man to go alongside our targetmen lumps.
  • If that's true abbott is having a medical here today could well be who I saw in the land rover today.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Sodje, Abbott and Benson are all over 6ft, and probably not very pacy either. We need a little, quick man to go alongside our targetmen lumps.

Made the same point last night. All of these are of a similar ilk. We will definitely need some pace up top.
  • 30 Jul 2010 16:15:15
    Most of the rumours on here are never gonna happen.
    Charlton signing Cory Gibbs and Matty Phillips will happen by the end of next week though.
    Will something that's true actually be posted on the forum?

LOL !!
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]If that's true abbott is having a medical here today could well be who I saw in the land rover today.

Surely a medical would take place at the training ground? Didnt you say you saw him at the Valley?
  • I did, but this was at 1pm ish so could have been done already or meeting people at the ground, it could have been a builder or a pimp but most people who drive them cars down floyd road are footballers
  • I'm not sure you need that much pace in this division, sure it can help, but were Burton and Mooney, Burton and Sodje etc blessed with loads of pace? We finished in the play offs with them!

What we do need is a couple of strikers who have experience of scoring in double figures in this division, who ideally haven't yet reached their full potential.
  • Sodje is very fast once he gets motoring - on full tilt he's poetry in motion
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Sodje is very fast once he gets motoring - on full tilt he's poetry in motion

that's a joke right. It takes him 50 yds to get a head of steam up, until then he's lumbering, and even at full tilt he isn't fast. As for poetry in motion ....
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Sodje is very fast once he gets motoring - on full tilt he's poetry in motion

And that's Sam Sodje we're talking about, the one with dodgy knees.
  • Fair play to parky his hedging his bets with benson, if benson can get 20 in the box season, then I for one will say tar very much, and if we get that young irish striker nick o'teen then we can all puff our cheeks out with pride.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Fair play to parky his hedging his bets with benson, if benson can get 20 in the box season, then I for one will say tar very much, and if we get that young irish striker nick o'teen then we can all puff our cheeks out with pride.

What shirt number would he wear....?

Players No. 6, of course.
  • What about Febian Brandy Manchester United Youth player on a free worth a punt? Very quick don't know much about him though think he player for Gills last year on loan
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Fair play to parky his hedging his bets with benson, if benson can get 20 in the box season, then I for one will say tar very much, and if we get that young irish striker nick o'teen then we can all puff our cheeks out with pride.[/quote]

Players No. 6, of course.[/quote]

Pipe down Oggy, before you go up in smoke.
  • [cite]Posted By: Gumbo[/cite]What about Febian Brandy Manchester United Youth player on a free worth a punt? Very quick don't know much about him though think he player for Gills last year on loan

He was interviewed for the skysports feature on unattached players and he said he was looking for a Championship club at the very least.

35k for Francis. 20k for Abbott. I'm guessing Parky was given 100k - 150k and he is trying to spend the change on Benson.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Fair play to parky his hedging his bets with benson, if benson can get 20 in the box season, then I for one will say tar very much, and if we get that young irish striker nick o'teen then we can all puff our cheeks out with pride.

Players No. 6, of course.

Pipe down Oggy, before you go up in smoke.

That's a lighter comment, Falcs. I can't match that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]He was interviewed for the skysports feature on unattached players and he said he was looking for a Championship club at the very least.
    Still without a club I think so he might end up having to drop down to League One.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!