Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Surely Large we should be playing Tuna and Perkins rather than buying a striker?
  • i'm getting Tuna printed on my shirt this season. High hopes is an understatement
  • Abbott Link

Good to see Parkinson is recognising where we need strengthening and acting upon it. Unlike Pardew.
  • Puts the Eastwood 'rumour' firmly in its place!

I guess Abbott is the target man to replace Burton.

13 goals last season wasn't a bad return.

Is he injury-prone?
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Puts the Eastwood 'rumour' firmly in its place!
    We'll still need at least 1 if not 2 strikers if we do sign Abbott, so could be looking at Eastwood as well.
  • Definitely does not put the Eastwood rumour in it's place. Parkinson will definitely be looking to add another striker to the squad.

Just looked at the Oldham message board to see their reaction to the possibility of Abbott leaving. Some seem to really rate him, while others describe him as a bit lazy and an average finisher.
  • ....while others are 'disgusted' at his sale and say he was their best player last season.

http://www.oafc.co.uk/
  • Weren't Oldham the lowest scoring team in the league (or at least one of them)? If so, 13 goals is a very good return.
  • Indeed. He could be the next Lloyd Sam.
  • I'd rather have Gary Abbott, the old Welling striker!
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised at the comments - he's a proven striker in lower league football
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Surely Large we should be playing Tuna and Perkins rather than buying a striker?

no because they are not good enough yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Surprised at the comments - he's a proven striker in lower league football

Well as people have been going on (possibly unrealistically) about a 20 goal a season striker who's never got more than 13 has only really proven that he's unlikely to hit the net as often as we need him to.
  • Abbott would be a great signing but I still think the other striker/s would have to be of higher quality if we are to challenge this season. I would add that I think Parky is slowly assembling a very good looking squad and hope a bit of cash helps him finish it off in style.
  • Even if he's never been prolific, coupled with someone who is, he could still be a good foil as the target man. Seems a realistic prospect who just might come good later in his career as Paynter and others have done. Perhaps he hasn't often been with a team spending a lot of time on the front foot, creating a lot of chances (not saying that's about to change now!).
  • Abbott scored a 3rd of his teams goals (13) if he signs I am pretty sure that he ll score more for us as he ll have better service from the midfield and other striker.
  • Well hes Polish and there not known for being lazy workers... so i'm happy
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Surprised at the comments - he's a proven striker in lower league football

Well as people have been going on (possibly unrealistically) about a 20 goal a season striker who's never got more than 13 has only really proven that he's unlikely to hit the net as often as we need him to.

He scored 27 in 2004/2005. Long time ago but probably the last time he played in a side in the top half of their league.
  • don't understand why people don't think he's been prolific. He record stands up to scrutiny imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: Paddy7[/cite]Even if he's never been prolific, coupled with someone who is, he could still be a good foil as the target man. Seems a realistic prospect who just might come good later in his career as Paynter and others have done. Perhaps he hasn't often been with a team spending a lot of time on the front foot, creating a lot of chances (not saying that's about to change now!).

Agree with this. I'm hoping he'd be signing to complement a more headline grabbing prolific striker and add to our squad and options in terms of front men.

Our top three scorers last season were Burton, Bailey & Mooney with 33 goals between them in all competitions. Hopefully, if he signs, Abbot + Reid would score the goals Burton and Bailey did last season (or in that ball park). If we can add another striker in the 15 to 20+ goals bracket we should be at least at a status quo to last year and hopefully we'd see a net gain in goals relative to last season.

I think Abbot would potentially be a very solid signing at this level. We'd all like at least one more exciting signing before the window closes, but I think Abbot would be an improvement on most of what we had last season, and that's all you can really hope for when signing players on our budget.
  • Sponsored links:

• My initial reaction to this was one of underwhelmed.

However, a quick look on Wiki and my attitude changes slightly.

He has been atleast 1 in 3 at most teams he has played for and at Huddersfield was better than 1 in 3.

The only place he has really failed was at Swansea and he was only there for 6 months.

The only time he played in a top 6 side (Huddersfield) he scored 27. From what I've seen of him he seems to be a decent size, not alot of pace though.

If we do get him for 75k I'd be happy with that. What we will need to do though, is bring in someone with a bit of pace. We have lacked a striker to play on the shoulder of the last defender for a while.
  • He's not prolific, but with good service he might well score 15-20, and he probably brings other things to the team.

Big strikers often do well in their late 20s. Look at Iwelumo, nothing special earlier on in his career, as he got older he stepped up to the Championship, did fairly well with Colchester then us. Went to Wolves with a team that put good crosses in, and a partner to compliment him in Ebanks-Blake, and he scored even more.

We'd still need at least 1 if not 2 more strikers as well, who might have better records.
  • from Rotherham's Vital Football website.

RUFC - Ronnie misses out on striker
    Rotherham United Manager, Ronnie Moore has made no secret that he is on the look out for a striker to compliment Adam Le Fondre this season and when Pawel Abbott was released by Oldham the Millers boss became interested.

Unfortunately, it looks like the twenty-eight year old former Huddersfield striker is on his way to Charlton Athletic.

Speaking to The Advertiser, Moore said, 'We had a call saying that Oldham were going to let him go but that Charlton had offered £75,000 plus a substantial wage increase.

'It's disappointing but we'll just have to keep searching. We need an experienced striker who can blend with Adam Le Fondre.'

Abbott began his career with Preston North End and moved to Huddersfield Town in 2004 where he scored forty-four league goals in just over one hundred games. He played for Swansea City and Darlington before moving to Oldham last season where he was their top scorer with thirteen goals.

We seem to be missing out on quite a few strikers and I'm beginning to wonder if some don't want to come to play 'second fiddle' to Alfie - as Ronnie has made it quite clear that he wants someone who can feed our top scorer.
  • from FR:

Charlton Athletic are close to signing pacey forward Josh King from Manchester United on a 3 month loan. Charlton had first option on King as part of the deal which took youth player Sean McGinty to Old Trafford last season.
  • He's more prolific than Andy Hunt was when we signed him.
  • [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Surprised at the comments - he's a proven striker in lower league football

He scored 27 in 2004/2005. Long time ago but probably the last time he played in a side in the top half of their league.

No, sorry, you're quite right...
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Surprised at the comments - he's a proven striker in lower league football[/quote]

Well as people have been going on (possibly unrealistically) about a 20 goal a season striker who's never got more than 13 has only really proven that he's unlikely to hit the net as often as we need him to.[/quote]

He scored 27 in 2004/2005. Long time ago but probably the last time he played in a side in the top half of their league.[/quote]

That was before he got injured too.
  • Strikers at this level are hardly ever going to be prolific especially if you don't pay big money for one.

The best we could probably get within budget would be Eastwood if Coventry let him go or a loan from a Prem club.Parky has done really well with the players he has brought in. Strikers will always get slack if they don't score goals.

Personally I think Akpo if he can stay fit will get 10 goals this year for us. Abbott may do the same I won't right him off, I did that when we signed Burton and he turned out to be a good signing for us.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Surely Large we should be playing Tuna and Perkins rather than buying a striker?

no because they are not good enough yet.

Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit? I thought you said the only way they were supposed to get better was through playing?
  • Skysports.com understands Sheffield Wednesday are lining up a move for free agent Nicky Weaver.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!