Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• With Mooney the reality is surely somewhere in between. Some say he is terrible, others really like him. I think he is ok at this level, but has to be used the right way. Someone like Akpo will keep battling whatever the style of play, and his physical side can be effective. If Mooney is having to challenge big strong defenders, only getting long balls and has the wrong type of player around him, he really doesn't offer much at all.

I'd say in the right games with the right team around him, Mooney can be more useful than Akpo. Difference is Akpo will do what he does in any game, against any team, and that can be effective at least to an extent.
  • Just my opinion Oggy and probably the reason I am an Underwriter rather than a football scout.

Personally dont rate him, dont think he has a football brain, hence offside 304 times a match according to the Opta stats, played a blinder in his last match for us but over a season I dont think he will fire us to promotion.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]With Mooney the reality is surely somewhere in between. Some say he is terrible, others really like him. I think he is ok at this level, but has to be used the right way. Someone like Akpo will keep battling whatever the style of play, and his physical side can be effective. If Mooney is having to challenge big strong defenders, only getting long balls and has the wrong type of player around him, he really doesn't offer much at all.

I'd say in the right games with the right team around him, Mooney can be more useful than Akpo. Difference is Akpo will do what he does in any game, against any team, and that can be effective at least to an extent.

I think Scohams got it about right, I guess when it comes down to it the question is can we get into the play offs with a frontline of Akpo, Buaza and Mooney ?
  • Full name Jonathan O'Flynn

Date of birth 11 July 1982 (1982-07-11) (age 28)

Place of birth Cobh, Republic of Ireland

Height 5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)

Playing position Striker

Youth career
    2000–2002 Peterborough United

Senior career

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    2002–2008 Cork City 138
    (68)
    2008–2010 Barnet 70
    (29)

National team‡
    Republic of Ireland U21 6 (3)

Decent scoring record albeit for Barnet.

at 28 not a youngster which may mean he has a bit of maturity and guile.

He does however fit the main Charlton criteria of being available on a free
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Just my opinion Oggy and probably the reason I am an Underwriter rather than a football scout.

Personally dont rate him, dont think he has a football brain, hence offside 304 times a match according to the Opta stats, played a blinder in his last match for us but over a season I dont think he will fire us to promotion.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, Southend - and that's fair enough.
    Whether he would fire us to promotion .....well, who knows?

It's just that if he's made a good impression on other managers, as they watch Mooney play for Charlton against their own team ..... then the player must be doing something right in his game, if other teams would like to sign him?

Anyway, as you say, just opinions.
  • Kerrea Gilbert one of the many RB's we've speculated on is on trial at Sheffield United
  • Latest FR

20 Jul 2010 19:11:23
    Charlton news

out
    sam free Leeds done
    shevley Liverpool 1.7 million done
    bailey brough 1.4 million done
    spring Orient free done
    Richardson 500k saints done

ones that should go
    Dickson 1 million
    sam sodje 350k leeds
    basey Scotland maybe hibs 350k

ins
    jackson free done
    akpo sodje free done
    dohertry free done
    alan McCormack
    we should buy

simon Francis southend free
    york city striker 300k
    dave Mooney reading 400k
    lee Wallace hearts 500k
    tony warner free gk
    bauzu free Swansea
    parry preston 300k
  • If PP gets 1.7 million for Dickson, Basey and Sodje then he really will earn my respect.
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]If PP gets 1.7 million for Dickson, Basey and Sodje then he really will earn my respect.
    I think even his biggest critics will be calling him the greatest negotiator of all time.
  • edited July 2010
    Dickson 1 Million. Never in a month of sundays.

Sodje 350k. Not with his knees.

Basey 350k. Maybe worth the money.

More to the point though, all 3 are out of contract and free agents are they not?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Dickson 1 Million. Never in a month of sundays.

More to the point though, all 3 are out of contract and free agents are they not?

Come on super Al. You know you want to.
  • Football Rumours site gets worse and worse!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]Dickson 1 Million. Never in a month of sundays.

More to the point though, all 3 are out of contract and free agents are they not?[/quote]

Dickson has been released, Sodje out of contract, Basey fee only applicable if he moves within English league. Ergo nothing. Shame because it sounds like a good deal otherwise.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sage[/cite]Football Rumours site gets worse and worse!

It's just made up stories purely for your amusement.

Any resemblance to fact is merely co-incidental.
  • Oggy mate, completely agree just quite annoying when they don't know anything.
  • thing is we wouldn't even get a fee if Basey moved to an english team. We have to offer the player a deal of equal of greater terms in order to be entitled to compensation... and we haven't. we have offered a contract of reduced terms.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]thing is we wouldn't even get a fee if Basey moved to an english team. We have to offer the player a deal of equal of greater terms in order to be entitled to compensation... and we haven't. we have offered a contract of reduced terms.[/quote]

I could be wrong but not sure that is true if he has come through your youth and is under 24. I think a tribunial decides the compensation if the player moves to a club within the England.
  • The rules are that if a player is under 24 and {here's the important part in this case} the club has offered them a contract of equal or greater terms of their expired contract, but the player chooses to sign for another team, then that club must pay compensation or development fee; which is decided by tribunal if the two teams involved can't agree on a compensation package.

Basey has not been offered a contract of equal or greater terms than the contract that's just expired. We have offered him a new contract which was less than his old one. Therefore if he was to move to an English club we couldn't claim compensation because we failed to offer him a contract of at least equal terms.

but this is inconsequential anyway as chances are he'll join Aberdeen and we wouldn't get a penny regardless.
  • We wouldn't be due a penny as it stands, just like the case with Dan Gosling and Everton at the moment...
  • [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Im not usually one for digging our own players out but Mooney is arguably the worst forward I have seen in my 25 years (especially considering the division we are in).

I didnt boo him last season, just sighed a lot.

Surely we can do better....

Ahem, erm, did you ever visit Selhurstwitzch & witness Kenny Achampong? If you did, think again!

The following weren't much cop for us either:

Andy Jones
    Andy Gray
    Kim Grant
    Marcus Bent(sorry, I'd take Mooney over that 'player' any day)
    Jimmy Fat Piggybank

& this is irrespective of some of these players past pedigree(e.g: Good at some point in their careers, but largely, not for us. See: Bent, Gray, JFH)
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes, I didnt like a few of those either.

Difference is, they were all one or two divisions higher than where we are now.

Surely even Marcus Bent would have done ok in this league.
  • edited July 2010
    We won't get a penny for basey as wehavent offered him similar terms to now. That is exactly the reason we didnt get anything for Josh wright who will turn out to be a player we will mourn losing but couldnt afford to keep on the deal some w****r had put him on!
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Yes, I didnt like a few of those either.

Difference is, they were all one or two divisions higher than where we are now.

Surely even Marcus Bent would have done ok in this league.

Then they had even less excuse for not being up to scratch.
  • edited July 2010
    www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6272455,00.html

The very unreliable Sky Sport site linking us with Marvin McCoy, a non-league Right back whose impressed while on trial with Wycombe.

Most likely means PP, Kins or someone was spotted in the crowd at a game he played in but we do need another RB as cover at least.
  • 21 Jul 2010 09:45:21
    Kristian Bierhoff younger brother of former german international Oliver is set to trial at Charlton. The striker is currently without a club after last injury hit season.

from FR
  • I'll take that rumour with a pinch of salt but if true he should be good if he has half the talent of his brother.
  • Wikipedia, Soccerbase, Football Manager and Google can't find any other Bierhoff in football apart from Oliver...
  • I could not find any sign of him either...
  • edited July 2010
    Amazing. I posted that Beirhoff rumour on that crap site to see if it was possible. I posted it at 10:00 this Morning Sorry chaps. Proves a point though.
  • Very good SHG.

Reckon you should keep it going.

Go with: "Kristian Bierhoff seen at The Valley" next then follow it up with "Kristian Bierhoff's move to Charlton is in doubt after Rangers and Hull expressed interest in signing the 6ft 2 former Germany U21 striker."

Sod it, bring a few other clubs into the mix!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!