Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I'll repeat, who told you about this Kodfish?

A normally reliable source.I hope he's wrong on this occasion.
  • Me too. If Semedo in particular (and Racon) have only one year left on their contracts, then there needs be discussions surrounding contract extensions surely ? Sullivan at WHU said that on contracts that they intended to sit down and negotiate at 18 months out. No wonder our club has no money.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]It is my view that Parky has some involvement in the building of the new squad but not nearly enough to be given so much credit for it.
    Put it this way, if a new manager you really rated came in and signed, re-signed and got rid of the players Parky has, would you not be saying it's a very promising start so far?
  • If only! haha
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]It is my view that Parky has some involvement in the building of the new squad but not nearly enough to be given so much credit for it.
    Put it this way, if a new manager you really rated came in and signed, re-signed and got rid of the players Parky has, would you not be saying it's a very promising start so far?

I would make no judgment what so ever. I have never judged a manager, Charlton or otherwise, based on the the players he signs before I have seen how he gets those players to perform in his team.

I am not criticising Parky here either. But, at the same time I am not praising him. His primary job is to coach and train the players throughout the season and to deploy tactics in matches that result in us winning the majority of those matches. It is how he performs in those tasks that should determine how he is judged.
  • As Henry mentions, many miles have been travelled by the management team throughout the season watching other teams matches - so much homework on potential signings would have been done over and over again.

Both Parky and Kinsella on separate occasions on the OS over the past few weeks, refer to a list of players they have drawn up.

No mention that Richard Murray sits and decides which players to sign.

Murray and Waggott no doubt negotiate contract details with the player (or more likely his agent), and sort out the paperwork. But it'll be Parky's decision who he wants to bring in, Parky's decision bringing the triallists here and, of course, which if any will be signed.

Therefore I'm happy to give the credit to Parky.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]It is my view that Parky has some involvement in the building of the new squad but not nearly enough to be given so much credit for it.[/quote]
    Put it this way, if a new manager you really rated came in and signed, re-signed and got rid of the players Parky has, would you not be saying it's a very promising start so far?[/quote]

I would make no judgment what so ever. I have never judged a manager, Charlton or otherwise, based on the the players he signs before I have seen how he gets those players to perform in his team.

I am not criticising Parky here either. But, at the same time I am not praising him. His primary job is to coach and train the players throughout the season and to deploy tactics in matches that result in us winning the majority of those matches. It is how he performs in those tasks that should determine how he is judged.[/quote]

Don't disagree with you that a manager, any manager has to be judged on how the team performs over a season. The foundations of that performance is the team that he puts together and to date collectively it seems agreed in the first task Parkie has put a good performance in. How well he has performed so far in his job will matter little if we have a poor start to the season, but until the season starts we have nothing more to judge him on than the team he is building.
  • [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]It is my view that Parky has some involvement in the building of the new squad but not nearly enough to be given so much credit for it.

I am not criticising Parky here either. But, at the same time I am not praising him. His primary job is to coach and train the players throughout the season and to deploy tactics in matches that result in us winning the majority of those matches. It is how he performs in those tasks that should determine how he is judged.
    Fair points but finding and signing the right players and characters is a big part of his job, along with the coaching, tactics etc.

Like Oggy said, plenty of work to identify the right players goes into it. So many players are out there it can and does go wrong for many managers. The wrong mix of players alone can make a poor team.

So I agree we should judge him on performances and in the end results, but he does deserve credit for making good signings.
  • Remember also, Parky and his management team don't judge a potential new signing purely on playing ability......the attitude and character of the player is judged too.

While Parky has been forced to accept that players had to be sold against his wishes, it's understood that sacrifices have to be made. It doesn't make his job easier of putting out a team capable of challenging for promotion.

Also his playing budget appears to be limited to free agents only and perhaps a few loans as contingency.
    Even harder to build a team based mainly on other clubs rejects.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Parky and his management team don't judge a potential new signing purely on playing ability.......

but it is at least one of their considerations. Now Pardew on the other hand ...........................
  • Sponsored links:

• isn't this the rumours thread ? I had 46 unread posts and only one was about a rumour. If you want discusions about Parky and his involvements in transfers can't you take it to another thread ? Thankyou.
  • couldn't disagree with that La
  • Bringing it back to transfers - Liam Chilvers is on trial at Peterborough.
  • Chelsea bloke at work who went to the palarse game, he heard that we are after Franco Di Santo on loan.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Chelsea bloke at work who went to the palarse game, he heard that we are after Franco Di Santo on loan.
    Was on loan at Blackburn last season, so seems unlikely he'd drop down to League One (or that Chelsea would want him to). Maybe have a chance if no one above League One comes in for him.
  • wigan are hoping to get Franco Di Santo on loan. i doubt he would go down to league one anyway.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Chelsea bloke at work who went to the palarse game, he heard that we are after Franco Di Santo on loan.

LOL, no chance
  • latest from FR...

19 Jul 2010 22:50:07
    Simon Francis expected to sign for charlton this week. Another Southend player on his way to the valley is 20 year old Matt Paterson for £120k. Also Jonathan Fortune and Guillem Bauzà expected to sign contracts very soon.
  • edited July 2010
    Matt Paterson

20 years old, Scotland U19 international. 6' 2''

Not scored many goals (2 in 18 at Saints and 2 in 15 at Southend) but both were struggling sides and he was often sub.

Parky watched Dartford v Southend last Friday and was rumoured by Southend fans to be watching Patterson. Could just be that he lives near Dartford and goes to lots of games.

£120k seem too rich for us anyway.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]latest from FR...

19 Jul 2010 22:50:07
    Simon Francis expected to sign for charlton this week. Another Southend player on his way to the valley is 20 year old Matt Paterson for £120k. Also Jonathan Fortune and Guillem Bauzà expected to sign contracts very soon.

Another striker who doesn't score goals. Albeit he's young, and he did score against us!
  • Sponsored links:

• Paterson scored against Derby last night, albeit from a penalty.
  • Can't say I have heard of Paterson but I'd like to think he has something about him if we are looking.

Sounds like a big chap for a 20 year old so maybe a target man (though my thinking is that target men don't really mature until they are a bit older)

I think I'd prefer Steve Howard or Jon Parkin - someone who has been there and seen it all before if thats what we are looking for - however Akpo is a pretty useful battering ram.
  • read somewhere the other week that Paterson and a few other Southend players were thinking of handing in their 14 day notice, as McCormack and Francis did, because of unpaid wages. Since then Southend have settled I think their outstanding debt (HRMC?) but whether wages have been paid who knows. Maybe we are waiting to pounce and get him on a free.
  • Apparently Southend supporters give Paterson plenty of stick.

The new Kim Grant perhaps?
  • edited July 2010
    Paul Benson of Dagenham & Redbridge is rumoured to be signing for us on another forum.

Experienced target man. Scored 22 for D&R in L2 last season including the winner at Wembley that got them promoted.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Paul Benson of Dagenham & Redbridge is rumoured to be signing for us on another forum.

Experienced target man. Scored 22 for D&R in L2 last season including the winner at Wembley that got them promoted.

and on a freebie isn't he ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Paul Benson of Dagenham & Redbridge is rumoured to be signing for us on another forum.

I spoke about this to Paul last season and he was unware of this move, the rumour has been floating around for ages, i havent spoken to him since the wembley game.. so it may be on the agenda now.. i hope not

I stick to this though i like Beno

but he is not what we need, scores goals yes but goes through real big lean spells and when he aint scoring he looks like a really poor player.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Paul Benson of Dagenham & Redbridge is rumoured to be signing for us on another forum.

Experienced target man. Scored 22 for D&R in L2 last season including the winner at Wembley that got them promoted.[/quote]

I spoke about this to Paul last season and he was unware of this move, the rumour has been floating around for ages, i havent spoken to him since the wembley game.. so it may be on the agenda now.. i hope not

I stick to this though i like Beno

but he is not what we need, scores goals yes but goes through real big lean spells and when he aint scoring he looks like a really poor player.[/quote]

That doesn't sound great. I'm sure any lean spells would be rewarded by a spell in the reserves at Charlton. At the Dags he's keep his place and eventually started scoring again. Hence the 22 goals.

Still, where are our goals going to come from? With Burton and Bailey gone (top scorers) and Sam (top assists) we've been looking for a 20 goal striker and Benson and Pittman have been the only ones we've been linked with that I can recall.
  • Lean spells are what every striker goes through - even the best.
    As long as the service keeps coming, it's all a numbers game.

6 games without a goal is usually followed by a fair sprinkling in the next few matches, once that first goal goes in.
    Then 'not being afraid to miss' and confidence does the rest.

It's a bit like being a salesman!
  • i posted some info i found on Matt Paterson - but i think it got lost in the page 38 debate so i'll post it again:

Been reading up about Paterson. did very well in Southampton's reserve team, scoring lots and winning academy player of the year. He then made his first team debut at 18. Then in January Pardew used him in part exchange to get Lee Barnard. reading comments from southampton and southend fans, he sounds like an old fashioned centre forward. he has height and physical presence, gets into good positions and is good in the air. he also has a fair bit of pace and a good finish. he's passionate and can be quite aggressive (was sent off for a wild tackle on Man Utd's Vidić).

here's what one Saints fans said about him 18 months ago:
    "I too have heard good things about this guy. An ex-colleague of mine helps out part-time with some of the Saints youth coaching and he tells me that Paterson could be very special indeed."

sounds like he has potential, but yet to find his feet.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!