Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• * Clem_Snide
    * CommentTime13 hours ago

quote# 1435
    Latest On Football Rumours:

17 Jul 2010 19:12:45
    Therry Racon to sign for Crystal Palace for £225k

Didn't Palace owe us £100,000 or £200,000 for the Paddy McCarthy transfer. Did we get any of that back before Palace went into administration ?

If not then that should go into the transfer price. If Bailey is worth 1.4 million then £225k for Racon is laughable. We have to try and keep hold of Racon.

Don't really rate Kandol, hopefully Sodje can find his scoring boots but if not x2 big non goal scoring lumps is too much.

Bauza would be a good addition.

Is Vine any good, and is it realistic given the wages he is on or would want in any case ?
  • edited July 2010
    Was told last night Semedo to be sold this week. Hoping this is just rumour.
  • [cite]Posted By: kodfish[/cite]Was told last night Semedo to be sold this week. Hoping this is just rumour.

McCormack is quite similar but I know who I'd rather have!

If we got 1.4 m for Bailey then semedo must be around the same
  • Would hope to keep Semedo but I think the fee would be nowhere near what we got for Bailey. Nicky had goals in his game for which you pay a huge premium. Not so Semedo. Can't even contemplate him leaving because I fear we would be gutted by the fee.
  • Semedo's presence makes us a competitive team. If we sell him then I will be very upset, and will start regretting my season ticket purchase. I was starting to feel hopeful about us having a competitive season.

Semedo for Charlton, is the difference between challenging for the play offs and challenging to avoid being in a relegation battle.

He is an important player. Didn't enjoy that rumour. We should not sell him.
  • [cite]Posted By: vff[/cite]Semedo's presence makes us a competitive team. If we sell him then I will be very upset, and will start regretting my season ticket purchase. I was starting to feel hopeful about us having a competitive season.

Semedo for Charlton, is the difference between challenging for the play offs and challenging to avoid being in a relegation battle.

It's just a rumour. Chill. : - )
  • Who told you that Kod?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: vff[/cite]Semedo's presence makes us a competitive team. If we sell him then I will be very upset, and will start regretting my season ticket purchase. I was starting to feel hopeful about us having a competitive season.

He is an important player. Didn't enjoy that rumour. We should not sell him.[/quote]

It's just a rumour. Chill. : - )[/quote]

Rumour or not every player has his price.
  • Come on Jose.. he was quality last year...

racon would be a smaller los for sure... and we could bring in some more with the money and wages..
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: vff[/cite]Semedo's presence makes us a competitive team. If we sell him then I will be very upset, and will start regretting my season ticket purchase. I was starting to feel hopeful about us having a competitive season.

It's just a rumour. Chill. : - )

Rumour or not every player has his price.

in these circumstances the club is more important , no matter how fooked off with this i would be and i would be truely pissed unfortunatly circumstance dictates so over to you mr pardew piss me off again
  • Sponsored links:

• We'd be lucky get half of what we did for Bailey for Semedo. Bailey as said has his goal record, and a bigger reputation, he's seen as a Championship player, Semedo is a bit more of an unknown.

There's been rumours Racon and Semedo will be sold (or Racon loaned out), hopefully neither are true. We'd have trouble replacing either of them, even Racon.
  • I'll repeat, who told you about this Kodfish?
  • I'd offer Semedo an improved contract regardless. He deserves it.
  • Keep Racon and Semedo and we have a strong midfield which will challenge for the play offs. Lose them and we don't. The board knows this, everyone knows this. It's upto how much the board want to give us a competitive side.
  • Don't get me wrong here because I want Semedo and Racon to stay as much as anyone and would be pissed off hugely if they were to depart. But. If offers even half decent came in for either or both I suspect that the board would be obliged to at least consider. There have been sales and cutbacks this season just to enable us to get through the year. I doubt that we could repeat the process again next season if promotion is not achieved. With that in mind the board have to protect the club above all else yet still try to give the team a chance. Thus far the balancing act this close season has been beyond my wildest expectations. My faith in the board has been revived and I have to give Parky huge credit also. Looking forward to giving Charlton my full support without Semedo or Racon but hopeful with both. COYR
  • I'm not going to spoil my Sunday worrying about Semedo or anyother cornerstone of the team player being sold.

If it eventually happens and the Board decide to cash in regardless of the effect on the team or seriously limiting our promotion prospects - then so be it.

It'll hardly be fair to Parky manfully trying to rebuild a team good enough for a promotion challenge.
    And hardly fair on us supporters seeing our dreams shot to pieces.

But as Henry said, it's only a rumour.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I'll repeat, who told you about this Kodfish?
    Probably a friend of a friend of a friend of Mr. Rue Moore-Monger.
  • Semedo & Racon both only have a year left on their contracts don't they? Same with Youga? All three would command a fee of some sort I would imagine so will the club be keen to see them leave for nowt next summer...signing the three of them up to an extra year on their contracts could be as good a piece of business as all the players we have bought in thus far. Here's hoping!
  • [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite] My faith in the board has been revived and I have to give Parky huge credit also.

As someone who is firmly in the ‘yet to be convinced by Parky’ camp, I don’t understand all the plaudits he is suddenly getting on here because we have signed a few decent players.

I have never worked inside a football club at this level but based on reading newspapers, bits of manager and player biographies, and watching the TV, my understanding of the squad building activities during the summer for a club like Charlton is as follows.

1. At this time of year, every year, thousands of players are out of contract. The agents of these players are either negotiating new contracts with their existing clubs or using their network of contacts within other football clubs to win contracts for their clients. I would suggest that this network of contacts rarely includes the manager. These are contacts that have been built up over a number of years, long before the incumbent manager.

2. Meanwhile, every club below midway in the Championship, have to calculate the budget for player wages for the following season. This often means not being able to renew contracts of high paid players and cashing in on any players that have a value in the transfer market. I would say, and quite rightly in my opinion for clubs in Charlton’s position, the manager has little say in these decisions.

3. So, from the end of the season until the end of August, league Chairmen and CEO’s are inundated with calls and texts and e.mails from scores of agents each representing 30 or 40 out of contract players. The manager would specify to the Chairman the positions he needs to fill to build a squad for the new season. The Chairmen/CEO would sort through all the approaches received from agents and produce a list of players for each of the positions that the manager has specified. The Chairman/CEO would then sit down with the manager and ask the manager which of the players he would like the board to approach.

4. The Chairman/CEO might discuss with the manager the maximum proportion of the total wage budget each player is worth.

5. The Chairman/CEO would then approach the relevant agent and start negotiations. Simultaneously this agent is probably in talks with several other clubs who have expressed an interest in this player.

It is my view that Parky has some involvement in the building of the new squad but not nearly enough to be given so much credit for it.
    The time to judge him is after the first few games of the season. Then we can see how effectively he has coached and trained the new squad to play match winning football.
  • Semedo, Youga and Racon will all be on high wages compared to the rest of the team, so thats another reason they may leave, but I hope only if we can sign decent replacements!

With the league we are in and the cost base we have we're returning to the days of having to sell players regularly to balance the books, a good reason to keep the academy going (if they didn't keep popping over the boarder to Scotland to sign for free! ) Also a good reason to look at younger players (Mulley, Sawyer) to add to those we already have. If these break through into the team I hope we will be doing our contract negotiations with them at xmas time rather than in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]

I would suggest that this network of contacts rarely includes the manager.

Sorry but that is utter nonsense
    [cite]Posted By: Red_in_SE8[/cite]
    [cite] The manager would specify to the Chairman the positions he needs to fill to build a squad for the new season. The Chairmen/CEO would sort through all the approaches received from agents and produce a list of players for each of the positions that the manager has specified. The Chairman/CEO would then sit down with the manager and ask the manager which of the players he would like the board to approach.

I think you have this the wrong way around.

You are right to say that the board sets the budget and the manager has little or no say in that but the manager specifies which particular players they are interested in and the Chairman/CEO then takes over the financial negotiations.

In some cases one club Chairman/CEO will approach another to say that someone is available and ask if that Club are interested but that approach is then put to the manager. That's how it works, or doesn't, depending on your view at Charlton.
  • Red_in_SE8, how many players have we signed this summer that Parky hasn't watched or had watched at least a half dozen times? I'd hazard a guess that the only ones he's not seen play a number of times recently are those in on trial at the moment. He's doing this when he openly admits that either his budget's not been set or is currently a moving target. He's also having to cope with players (Richardson and possibly others) being sold out from under him and the toys are staying in the pram.

Parkinson isn't Pardew who seemed to sign players based on the evidence of Youtube and who was top of the scoring charts of leagues lower than the one we were in.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite] My faith in the board has been revived and I have to give Parky huge credit also.

As someone who is firmly in the ‘yet to be convinced by Parky’ camp, I don’t understand all the plaudits he is suddenly getting on here because we have signed a few decent players.

I have never worked inside a football club at this level but based on reading newspapers, bits of manager and player biographies, and watching the TV, my understanding of the squad building activities during the summer for a club like Charlton is as follows.

1. At this time of year, every year, thousands of players are out of contract. The agents of these players are either negotiating new contracts with their existing clubs or using their network of contacts within other football clubs to win contracts for their clients. I would suggest that this network of contacts rarely includes the manager. These are contacts that have been built up over a number of years, long before the incumbent manager.

2. Meanwhile, every club below midway in the Championship, have to calculate the budget for player wages for the following season. This often means not being able to renew contracts of high paid players and cashing in on any players that have a value in the transfer market. I would say, and quite rightly in my opinion for clubs in Charlton’s position, the manager has little say in these decisions.

3. So, from the end of the season until the end of August, league Chairmen and CEO’s are inundated with calls and texts and e.mails from scores of agents each representing 30 or 40 out of contract players. The manager would specify to the Chairman the positions he needs to fill to build a squad for the new season. The Chairmen/CEO would sort through all the approaches received from agents and produce a list of players for each of the positions that the manager has specified. The Chairman/CEO would then sit down with the manager and ask the manager which of the players he would like the board to approach.

4. The Chairman/CEO might discuss with the manager the maximum proportion of the total wage budget each player is worth.

5. The Chairman/CEO would then approach the relevant agent and start negotiations. Simultaneously this agent is probably in talks with several other clubs who have expressed an interest in this player.

It is my view that Parky has some involvement in the building of the new squad but not nearly enough to be given so much credit for it.
    The time to judge him is after the first few games of the season. Then we can see how effectively he has coached and trained the new squad to play match winning football.

It os a wonder that clubs employ managers at all, after all its players that win matches ( cue last years winning streak when it was put forward that the opening sequence of wins was despite Parkie not because of him) and its the board / ceo who selects and brings in players.

Parkie obviously has little in put and it is only a coincidence that some players coming in have links to working with him previously.
  • AFC Wimbledon to decide this week if they wish to take Mambo and Stavrinou on a season long's loan, according to the Non League Paper.
  • I am behind Parkinson 100% and am looking forward to waht HIS team does this season..

He was very unlucky last year not to take us up automatically and he deserves a lot better from the fans.. I M H O ...

Hes the first manager since curbs to actualy put a run of wins together for a start, and the first manager to get us even close to a proper positive season....

im off to sleep now...

laters...
  • Exactly Kap,

You see it at every club where a new manager recruits players he previously worked with or even played with.

Red in SE8, I think your dislike of Parky is clouding your thinking. You see "the Club" signing good players yet don't want to give PP any credit so make up a scenario where he had little to do with it.

Sorry but every player signed will be Parky's choice. Not his first choice perhaps (I'm sure he would have kept Bailey and not bought McCormack and have signed David Villa before Bauza but the budget didn't allow that ) but still his picks.

For good or bad this season's team will be Parky's team as nearly all the previous managers players have gone.
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]AFC Wimbledon to decide this week if they wish to take Mambo and Stavrinou on a season long's loan, according to the Non League Paper.

After an admittedly short view of Mambo at Kettering I'd be inclined to keep him in the squad even if the experience would be good for him.

In fact I'd rather he and Stav went to a club like Southend
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]

In some cases one club Chairman/CEO will approach another to say that someone is available and ask if that Club are interested but that approach is then put to the manager. That's how it works, or doesn't, depending on your view at Charlton.[/cite]

Surely this scenario is only true in the case of players who are not 'out of contract'? I don't think Charlton will be paying a fee for a player any time soon!

Although, as we get nearer to kick off and clubs have rebuilt their squads and find they have not managed to sell all of their unwanted in-contract players, I would expect Richard Murray to be approached by other CEOs asking if Charlton would be interested in taking players on-loan.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]

In some cases one club Chairman/CEO will approach another to say that someone is available and ask if that Club are interested but that approach is then put to the manager. That's how it works, or doesn't, depending on your view at Charlton.[/cite]

Surely this scenario is only true in the case of players who are not 'out of contract'? I don't think Charlton will be paying a fee for a player any time soon!

Principal remains the same. The manager makes the decision within the budget.
    And do you not think that Charlton spoke to Sheff Utd and Notts Co BEFORE Reid and Jackson were released?
    [cite[/cite]
    [cite]

Although, as we get nearer to kick off and clubs have rebuilt their squads and find they have not managed to sell all of their unwanted in-contract players, I would expect Richard Murray to be approached by other CEOs asking if Charlton would be interested in taking players on-loan.

I would be fairly sure that Charlton, that is Parky, already know which players we want on loan IF they become available.

Some will no longer be wanted as we've signed someone or we might have an injury.

But the point is Parky will make the decision. If West Ham offer us, for example, Matt Fry again it won't be Waggott or Murray saying yes (which is quite right) but Parky.

Parky watches something like 4 non-Charlton games a week. With Kins/Chapple/breaker etc the management watch about 30 games a month. They do their homework on players as well. They have a network of contacts and they speak to agents.
  • Sorry Red in SE8. I really do believe that PP deserves a lot of credit for the signings so far. There is little doubt in my mind that three of the signings in Jackson, Reid and Doherty could have gone to any number of clubs in both div 1 and in the cases of the first two in the championship. We heard Reid chose us over offers from clubs in a higher division. Were we able to offer more money ? I doubt that so I conclude that it was the club and manager that got the signatures. You may certainly have a point in saying wait for the games to start but it is also obvious to me that the feeling that PP is doing well and general feeling of exitement is at a level we have not experienced pre season for a while. IMHO Parkinson IS starting to convince me that he just might be the manager we need and I have criticised him a lot.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!