Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Lisbie - plenty of talent but wrong mentality - same clique as Jerome Thomas and John Fortune. All nightclubs, chest wax and diamond encusted x boxes. You have to have a spine of 'solid citizens' with a sprinkling of talent. Racon - liked the look of him - has ability but in the crunch games goes missing and got found out - hopeful football, didn't make it happen and not consistent - give me 11 6/7 out of 10 players week in week our rather than a player who can turn it on now and then. You get nowhere like that.
  • [cite]Posted By: Fanny Fanackapan[/cite]Oh no ! I read in the Mail today that Amdy Faye is up for grabs again.....!

We wouldn't, would we ?????

seen him linked with Leicester and, maybe more likely because of the Peter Reid link, Plymouth so we may yet see him at The Valley next season.
  • Kerrea Gilbert who was mentioned as a possible Richardson replacement at Right Back is apparantly wanted by Blackpool so can't see us having much of a chance.
  • Matt Harrold, who we've been linked with, is on trial in Sweden at the moment, apparently.
  • Lee Trundle set to move to Neath in a shock move according to a few news sources.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Lee Trundle set to move to Neath in a shock move according to a few news sources.

Can see him as good number 10.
  • [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]Lee Trundle set to move to Neath in a shock move according to a few news sources.

Neath?
  • edited July 2010
    [/url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/league_of_wales/8805793.stm

Welsh Premier League. Pay as you play, all the pies he can eat and first choice of all the local ladies sheep.
  • Couple of today's gems from Football Rumours

Charlton Athletic are trying to sign Oxford's James Constable and York City's Richard Brodie.
    They will also offer ex–Swansea striker Guillem Bauza a contact, after impressing while on trial.
  • Constable is unlikely seeing as oxford have been promoted to league two and he is under contract; therefore they would probably want to keep him.

Brodie is more likely but still would require a fee, although i doubt it would take much.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2010
    from you know where :

11 Jul 2010 18:25:15
    Charlton have offered contracts to vassell and lee trundle also looking at kevin lisbie and o flynn barnet will all sign this week acording to spies

and

11 Jul 2010 18:30:58
    Esjas, mulley, sawyer, ketteridge thovaldson , bouza, all played in defeat to wimbledon esjas and bouza will join 2 years while oxford j constable will join in a 100k move
  • 12 Jul 2010 09:24:03
    Charlton

to sign the following this week:

Simon Francis
    Guillem Bauza
    Liam Chilvers
    Richard Brodie

I think Chilvers will probably sign this week. Francis is likely. Bauza will probably play again against welling and plays well i'm sure we will sign him.

reading up on Brodie, he's just won 'blue square premier player of the year', 'top Premiership Goalscorer' (scored 37 goals) and was in the 'Blue Square Premier Team of the Year' would be worth a punt i think.
  • Brodie another non league striker, who has scored goals but very up and down loaned to barrow last season, bigish shaved head brute. Non league regular top scorer is a bloke called matt tubbs season after season bags 15+ goals not just a one season wonder like fleetwood was, surely he must be worth a trail or a look at? Was on loan at bournemouth from sailsbury got 26 I think last season, might not be worth looking into but we have no money so have to consider everything even a few acworth specials.
  • It's gone 10:30 and we haven't even signed anyone this morning yet.

Disgraceful, Parky OUT!, etc ... well, if nothings happening, I suppose I'll just have to do some work.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]I think Chilvers will probably sign this week. Francis is likely. Bauza will probably play again against welling and plays well i'm sure we will sign him.
    We're hoping to keep Dailly though, so I'd exect us to sign no more than 2 of the 3.
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Brodie another non league striker, who has scored goals but very up and down loaned to barrow last season, bigish shaved head brute. Non league regular top scorer is a bloke called matt tubbs season after season bags 15+ goals not just a one season wonder like fleetwood was, surely he must be worth a trail or a look at? Was on loan at bournemouth from sailsbury got 26 I think last season, might not be worth looking into but we have no money so have to consider everything even a few acworth specials.

going by his wiki page, Brodie definitely sounds like a striker on the way up. in his first season for york he scored 14 goals; not great, but then not bad for someone who was coming from a team in the 9th tier of league football. then the following season (2008/9) Brodie was loaned to Barrow, but then after returning to york he went on to score 15 goals for them, giving him a total of 23 for that season. then last season he scored 37.

Tubbs was signed by Crawley Town last week.
  • I'm still wary of these non-league players. They represent a big gamble in terms of whether they can step up, and I'm not convinced we're in a position to be able to take a gamble. We could end up with a McLean/Mackail-Smith success, but could just as easily end up with another Dickson/Fleetwood. Unless we can sign them for a nominal fee, I'd avoid.
  • Another one we've missed then stebs ;-) sack the board.
  • All this talk of Brodie is one thing but has anyone actually seen him play at all?

Dickson scored goals for fun but was desperately wanting when it came to basic technique and tactics
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]
    Going by his wiki page
    Stopped reading at this point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dickson was previously an amateur who'd never been brought up through a major club's youth team.
    That lack of professional grounding was never really eliminated from his play - and more importantly, his mindset.
    He could be the "wildcard" gamble that may pay off if a team is built around him to exploit his strengths and compensate his weaknesses.

Fleetwood was different ....... he'd come through the ranks at Cardiff City, made a number of Championship appearances mainly as sub, represented Wales Under-21 five times - plus regular experience at clubs in League 2. After illness, he was let go and joined a Conference side for one season, where he netted 37 goals.

At Charlton, he never really fitted into the system and seemed too lightweight, but management evidently though he wasn't worth giving a chance. If he had been bigger and physically stronger, he may have had more impact. But even at Exeter, he never really made his mark, but I wouldn't be surprised if he bagged a decent tally at Hereford - League 2 is probably his level.

IMO if you're looking non-League, then you need to pick up players who have the pedigree of having been through a decent League club's youth system but for one reason or another, didn't make the grade at the time. It might not just be about ability at 17; youngsters mature at different ages, and perhaps are not ready until they are both physically and mentally stronger, irrespective of age.

But a few years down the line, with plenty of playing experience behind them and belief in their own ability, and vitally hungry to succeed - then they may be worth the gamble. Nicky Bailey was one example, and Steve Morison at Millwall, another.

And don't mention Charlie Austin ........ or my argument crumbles, ha ha!
  • edited July 2010
    signing non-leaguers is a gamble; however some have shorter odds than others. fleetwood and dickson were long shots. Fleetwood had been released by a number of clubs before joining forest green, then he has one good season and we sign him. Dickson knows where the goal is, but its clear to everyone that he lacks many (all) of the other attirbutes that make a decent striker.

I think Brodie is less of a long shot. for insistence, he has played a couple of times for the England C team. non-league players who've played for the England C team before moving onto bigger clubs have generally done very well. some of these include Michael Kightly, Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron McLean, Steve Morison, Lee Hughes and D.J. Campbell.
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]I think Brodie is less of a long shot. for insistence, he has played a couple of times for the England C team. non-league players who've played for the England C team before moving onto bigger clubs have generally done very well. some of these include Michael Kightly, Craig Mackail-Smith, Aaron McLean, Steve Morison, Lee Hughes and D.J. Campbell.

That's a very good point, Stebo - and one I overlooked.
    These are no doubt picked because they are considered the cream of Non-league football.

Edit: And Nicky Bailey was also an England "C" international.
  • Absolutely no idea if there's any truth in the James Constable RUMOURS, but I saw him last season (just once) for Oxford and he was a real handful, albeit v Rushden & Diamonds; quick, strong, and direct. Always difficult to judge on one glimpse - Dickson probably looked outstanding at Dulwich - but it wasn't a small stage. Crowd for top v fourth was 10,500, cracking atmosphere with a late winner.
  • Did he have a brain? Dickson has a bit of pace and strength, but doesn't take long to see he doesn't have much of a football brain.
  • If I'm honest Sco, I'd like another look before recommending him too highly! He was eye-catching but not having gone specifically to see him, I honestly can't remember the level of his hold-up play etc. He didn't direct things in the way Bauza did on Saturday but was smarter than eg McLeod in his positional running, and gave the R+D defence (captained & well marshalled by a thicker set Jamie Stuart) plenty to think about.
  • Fair enough, one games not enough to properly judge a player, sounds like he could be useful. Hard to imagine us spending a fee on anyone, which probably means we're not going to be signing him.
  • What ever happened to us signing Brett Pitman ....... or was that just, erm, a rumour?
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]What ever happened to us signing Brett Pitman ....... or was that just, erm, a rumour?
    ootball-rumours.co.uk rubbish probably, they'd want a decent fee surely.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Hard to imagine us spending a fee on anyone, which probably means we're not going to be signing him.[/quote]

ordinarily i would agree – however having read that ‘parky wants 8’ article and the OS where Parky says the board are 'working hard to find the funds to improve the squad', it sounds like Parky might be given a little bit of money to spend. if he does then i doubt it will be much more than a couple of hundred grand. i doubt Parky would spend it all on one player if we was to be given any. so probably not enough to buy Constable, as Oxford will want to keep him and having been promoted are probably not under pressure to sell. Brodie might be more attainable. York have said they have rejected 5 figure bids for him, but might not be able to resist a bid of £100k or so.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!