Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Someone has changed our Wikipedia page to show Liam Chilvers , Jon Fortune ,Johnny Jackson and Kyle Reid in the Charlton squad.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]Someone has changed our Wikipedia page to show Liam Chilvers , Jon Fortune ,Johnny Jackson and Kyle Reid in the Charlton squad.

be well happy with that !! Can't see it unfortunately.
  • Heard a rumour that Bailey is being sold to a team in the North-east. Deal isn't done yet but fee agreed and medical complete. Will be on our OS, and so be official, within next 24 hours.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Heard a rumour that Bailey is being sold to a team in the North-east. Deal isn't done yet but fee agreed and medical complete. Will be on our OS, and so be official, within next 24 hours.[/quote]

About bloody time too!!
  • I heard a rumour that Charlton may be returning to The Valley on December the 5th this year. It will be in time for our Division One clash with Portsmouth.
  • new one on football-rumours:

04 Jul 2010 23:18:38
    Q.P.R are looking to do a part ex. deal with Charlton for Therry Racon; £150k and Gary Borrowdale

wouldn't mind getting borrowdale back.
  • Jon Spector is looking for a new treatment table apparantely.
  • From Transfer Rumours.rot/bullshite Darren Anderton may come out of retirement to play for Charlton at the grand old age of 47!
    I must admit Borrowdale would be a welcome addition.
  • Leroy Lita is out of favour at Middlesbrough - AND they just signed Kris Boyd........

I wonder if he could be a part of the deal for Bailey
  • Lita one of those players that would always find a Championship side surely? Would be a great signing st this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst I don't doubt we could do a lot worse than Borrowdale, I have to say I'd be distinctly underwhelmed if he came back next season. He reminded me too much of Thatcher, who was another player I never really rated - not as good as he should have been defensively, considering he hardly ever crossed the halfway line.
  • [cite]Posted By: pilchard[/cite]From Transfer Rumours.rot/bullshite Darren Anderton may come out of retirement to play for Charlton at the grand old age of 47!
    I must admit Borrowdale would be a welcome addition.

I actually saw Anderton at the O2 a couple of week ago, still looks trim!
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Lita one of those players that would always find a Championship side surely? Would be a great signing st this level.

Massivley out of our price range wages wise, let alone our league position. Not sure Lita's ego would let him drop into League 1 anyway, although it's been 2 or 3 years since he last did much.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Lita one of those players that would always find a Championship side surely? Would be a great signing st this level.

Massivley out of our price range wages wise, let alone our league position. Not sure Lita's ego would let him drop into League 1 anyway, although it's been 2 or 3 years since he last did much.

I'm not sure if it's an ego thing - or if he is just lucky that clubs continue to take a punt on him. If nobody showed an interest then maybe he'd take the drop
  • I don't think there will be a part exchange , but we might be attractive to someone like Lita.

He didn't crack it at Reading and now Boro , maybe a spell in League One with a team capable of promotion could reboot his career possibly on a six month loan ? . Getting back to reality someone like Doncaster ,Millwall ,Scunthorpe or Watford would probably step in.

I'd love Borrowdale back and would sacrifice Racon and also let Youga go to achieve it . If we got Jackson and Reid then maybe a classic LB like Borrowdale might complement them better than Youga.
  • thought Borrowdale was pretty average, wouldn't want him back.
  • Lee Clark in the running to be the new Fulham boss according to todays Mirror.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]thought Borrowdale was pretty average, wouldn't want him back.
    Not spectacular but made very few mistakes.

Good player at this level imo.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Whilst I don't doubt we could do a lot worse than Borrowdale, I have to say I'd be distinctly underwhelmed if he came back next season. He reminded me too much of Thatcher, who was another player I never really rated - not as good as he should have been defensively, considering he hardly ever crossed the halfway line.
    Agree, and he reminded me of Thatcher as well. He does a job but a full back with pace that will get forward can make a big difference.

Borrowdale surely played a part in both us being more solid and conceding less, but also scoring less.

Sometimes it's worth having that player that makes a few more mistakes but causes problems for the opposition.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]Whilst I don't doubt we could do a lot worse than Borrowdale, I have to say I'd be distinctly underwhelmed if he came back next season. He reminded me too much of Thatcher, who was another player I never really rated - not as good as he should have been defensively, considering he hardly ever crossed the halfway line.
    Agree, and he reminded me of Thatcher as well. He does a job but a full back with pace that will get forward can make a big difference.

Borrowdale surely played a part in both us being more solid and conceding less, but also scoring less.

Sometimes it's worth having that player that makes a few more mistakes but causes problems for the opposition.

This is the thing Scoh, I know I'm in a minority here, but I just didn't think he was that solid. If he was super reliable defensively I'd be more forgiving of his lack of attacking ability, but there were a least a couple of goals we conceded where he could have done a lot better. I'm thinking away at Saints, and at home to Swindon in the play-offs. There was another goal where he got beaten far too easily in the air at the far post as well, but I forget who it was against.

If Youga had made those mistakes the season before he'd have got pelters for them.
  • Sponsored links:

• For me Borrowdale was just what you want from a left back - no frills just good solid dependable defending. His dead ball delivery was pretty good too

I see no point in signing him though as we currently have Youga and Basey that can play there and Solly is more than able as a 3rd choice. Besides - the board didn't particularly rate Borrowdale anyway.

Jackson's dead ball delivery was just as good and, if we sign him, i'd like to see us build a team around him and Semedo in the middle and Reid on the left.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]For me Borrowdale was just what you want from a left back - no frills just good solid dependable defending. His dead ball delivery was pretty good too
    I think that can be a bit too limited. Think of our better full backs over the last few years, Powell, Young, Richardson etc. All generally reliable defensively, the main job you need them to do, but what made them so useful was they would get forward, could offer something in attack and had the fitness to do it.

I'd say that's one of reasons Parky went for Richardson over Murty (along with his injury problems of course).
  • So if we signed Reid and Jackson our first game we could line up:

Elliott
    Richardson Dailly Llera Youga
    Wagstaff Semedo Jackson Reid
    Racon
    Sodje

Not too bad tbf though it would never happen!
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]If he was super reliable defensively I'd be more forgiving of his lack of attacking ability

I thought Borrowdale's performances were generally very focused and disciplined - and just what we needed at the time, reflected in goals conceded.

His strength was in how well he fitted in with the defensive unit, which as a side benefit, also improved the performances of other players around him. . Also, Randolph rightly got plaudits for very few goals conceded, but then his defence was much more solid and there were no Millwall away type defensive displays.

Another strength - he played a very simple game, comfortable in bringing the ball down and playing the simple pass.
    Not spectacular or eye catching, but just the type of ball that team mates find easy to receive.

Okay, so once in a while he got caught out by a pacy winger. So do the very best full backs at times.
    And while he isn't a marauding overlapping fullback, he does get up the line well to offer support to his wide midfielder.

At our level, a dependable and solid defender, whose first priority is to defend. What's wrong with that?
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Lee Clark in the running to be the new Fulham boss according to todays Mirror.

Parky to Huddersfield then. They wanted him before after all. Was before he relegated us mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]If he was super reliable defensively I'd be more forgiving of his lack of attacking ability

I thought Borrowdale's performances were generally very focused and disciplined - and just what we needed at the time, reflected in goals conceded.

His strength was in how well he fitted in with the defensive unit, which as a side benefit, also improved the performances of other players around him. . Also, Randolph rightly got plaudits for very few goals conceded, but then his defence was much more solid and there were no Millwall away type defensive displays.

Another strength - he played a very simple game, comfortable in bringing the ball down and playing the simple pass.
    Not spectacular or eye catching, but just the type of ball that team mates find easy to receive.

Okay, so once in a while he got caught out by a pacy winger. So do the very best full backs at times.
    And while he isn't a marauding overlapping fullback, he does get up the line well to offer support to his wide midfielder.

At our level, a dependable and solid defender, whose first priority is to defend. What's wrong with that?

I agree - and having him there instead of say Youga meant there was always someone covering if our left winger Nicky Bailey went wandering as usual.

[cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]So if we signed Reid and Jackson our first game we could line up:

Elliott
    Richardson Dailly Llera Youga
    Wagstaff Semedo Jackson Reid
    Racon
    Sodje

Not too bad tbf though it would never happen!

Not too shabby - the issue is the numbers in reserve.
    Also could include Basey if Dailly doesn't re-sign.

I'd also be tempted to try Scott Wagstaff behind a striker or even as a striker.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]If he was super reliable defensively I'd be more forgiving of his lack of attacking ability

Nothing Oggy, but as I said, I can think of at least 3 goals he probably could and should have prevented and only the Saints' one had anything to do with pace. Not saying he was solely to blame or that it's reasonable to expect zero errors, but that's not really that soild is it considering he was only with us for a couple of months?

Maybe the defence as a unit improved with him in it, but I'm not convinced he's so much better than Basey as to justify his wages and stifling Basey's development and he's certainly a step or two down from an on form Youga.

Anyway, as I've said many times before, I think the biggest reason we rediscovered our defensive solidity was the reuniting of Semedo and Racon in centre midfield. We kept the ball better and won it back quicker when the played together, so the back 4 simply came under less pressure. Richo also seemed to get over the niggly knocks he'd been carrying. Plus Randolph came in in fine form and made a few saves that maybe Elliot had stopped making for a couple of months.

Like I say, there are worse left backs out there, but he'd be an underwhelming signing imo. If he ends up here, though, he will of course have my full backing.
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

I'd also be tempted to try Scott Wagstaff behind a striker or even as a striker.

I really hope Parky isn't pinning too much on Waggy this season. I think he's a long way short of being ready for regular first team starts yet. Impact sub - maybe, but reliable first choice - not yet.
  • [cite]Posted By: Exiled_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]

I really hope Parky isn't pinning too much on Waggy this season. I think he's a long way short of being ready for regular first team starts yet. Impact sub - maybe, but reliable first choice - not yet.

I'd rather play Waggy up front than any of the 'strikers' we had last season (Burton excepted). At least he knows where the goal is.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    I'd rather play Waggy up front than any of the 'strikers' we had last season (Burton excepted). At least he knows where the goal is.

That's as a maybe, trouble is half the time he doesn't seem to know where the ball is, judging by the way he charges round in circles like an over-excited puppy.

I accept the reality of our situation may mean we have no alternative but to take a punt on Waggy coming good this year but, a couple of good goals and a couple fo decent cameos as a sub against tiring legs aside, I don't think he did that well when he played last season. Therefore I hope we don't have to rely on him, rather than expect we won't.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!