Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• Justin Hoyte been linked to us today in the Northern Echo
  • The part of the Nothern Echo article that is relevant

CHARLTON ATHLETIC are hoping to convince Justin Hoyte to turn his back on a return to Middlesbrough and head for his native London instead.

The Addicks are busy recruiting for their first season back in the Championship after successfully winning the League One title last month.

And Hoyte, from Waltham Forest originally, is seen to be a candidate to provide different defensive options for Charlton, whose manager Chris Powell is aware he can play on either flank as a full-back.

The 27-year-old has been told he will not be receiving an extension to the terms of the contract that is due to expire at the Riverside Stadium.

But Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray is interested in keeping him on Teesside on reduced wages to those which he has been on since his move from Arsenal in the summer of 2008.

When he made a £3m switch from the Gunners he was handed terms which reflected his price-tag in the Premier League. Times, though, have changed dramatically at the Riverside, where Mowbray has been instructed to reduce the wage bill since taking over 20 months ago.

Hoyte has been told to head away for the summer and think about his future, while Mowbray works on his own squad rebuilding programme.

The former England Under-21 international could still end up back at Boro's Rockliffe Park training base in July for pre-season training. However, with the prospect of having to reduce his weekly wage by more than 50 per cent, he could decide now is the best time to head back down south.

Hoyte was a regular under Mowbray in the Championship. He was preferred more often than not ahead of Tony McMahon, who is also being asked to take a pay cut to stay.

• Richard Cawley on twitter saying both us and Palarse interested in Baldock, he is our main striker target but apparently both fee and wages are currently to high
  • If Green had been a free transfer he wouldn't be a flop, but from what I gather we paid a fair bit for him, at least £200k, someone may correct me and say whether it was more or less than that.

Green is still highly rated, so it would be clever of Powell to sell him now, and get a decent fee, having seen that he probably wouldn't be good enough in the Championship.

But, hey, I hope I'm proved wrong and he is better next season than he was in League One.
    Did you see Green play last season?
  • Richard Cawley on twitter saying both us and Palarse interested in Baldock, he is our main striker target but apparently both fee and wages are currently to high
    Surely we can out muscle Palace.
  • We shouldn't pay over the odds for anyone , if we have a value for baldock in mind then we should stick to it and find another target if baldock is too dear
  • We shouldn't pay over the odds for anyone , if we have a value for baldock in mind then we should stick to it and find another target if baldock is too dear
    Mildly agree. But if I remember correctly, we paid more than we wanted to for Mendonca?
    Mildly agree. But if I remember correctly, we paid more than we wanted to for Mendonca?
    And McLeod, and Varney, and Gray,

We often pay over the odds for strikers - we are not alone. Chances are he is on silly money at Wet Spam though

• A good striker is worth paying a little extra for - it's one of those positions where saving a few pennies can cost a lot of points.
  • He is on 15000 a week at West Ham. We won't pay him that
    Ive been told by a man who knows this stuff that our higher earners will be on about 8 to 9000 a week next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• @FL_rumours: Bradley Wright Phillips is a target for Burnley after the sale of Jay Rodriguez to premiership team Southampton. #rumours”
    Straight swap for Austin would be tempting. Although I reckon BWP will have a good season for us.
    I'm away with Eddie Howe from Thursday for four days, I'll find out if there's any truth in it. If there is, I'll tell him to do one. Failing that, I'll get him so drunk and bribe him.

• edited June 2012
  • Apparently justin hoyte is on 15k a week as well. Way too much for us
  • We only need him if Solly is sold :-(
  • If we sell Solly I would like us to go after Lowton as others have said.
  • If we sell Solly I would like us to go after Lowton as others have said.

Lowton obvious replacement should Chris go and a nice profit into the bargain that would be in line with the Boards plans too. Would we take £2m plus add ons?
  • Hoyte is crap according to my Middlesbourgh watching mate.
  • I've never rated Hoyte, either of them!
  • If solly went, id move wagstaff on as well. One of the things I like about waggy is how well he links up with solly.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2012
    Apparently justin hoyte is on 15k a week as well. Way too much for us
    Way too much for Middlesboro too ..... they offered him a reduced contract, effectively cutting his wages in half.

There might be other players leaving Boro.

They are financially overstretched and anxious to greatly reduce their wage structure.
  • edited June 2012
    Heard from a really good source that were going for Steve Davies of derby. Its us or Ipswich but his mother in law is from charlton.
  • If solly went, id move wagstaff on as well. One of the things I like about waggy is how well he links up with solly.
    I'd be tempted to replace Solly with Waggy - I think he has the makings of a decent full back, can get up and down all day long and not many will beat him for pace. We'll miss his goals though.
  • Heard from a really good source that were going for Steve Davies of derby. Its us or Ipswich but his mother in law is from charlton.
    My mother in law is from Orpington - but there's probably little chance the club are looking to sign me.
  • Heard from a really good source that were going for Steve Davies of derby. Its us or Ipswich but his mother in law is from charlton.
    My mother in law is from Orpington - but there's probably little chance the club are looking to sign me.
  • waggstaff as a full back? na, no way.
  • waggstaff as a full back? na, no way.
    This.......
  • Wagstaff as full back. Llera as striker. What next??
  • Wagstaff as full back. Llera as striker. What next??
    Alonso as a midfielder?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!