Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours

Comments

• edited June 2012

"Alonso was not a Powell signing"

Yes he was. But a manager can't get them all right. He's made fantastic signings in Wiggins, BWP, Hollands, Kermorgant, Morrison, Taylor, Cort, Hamer... So you can forgive him the flops - Alonso, Clarke, Green.
  • Why would Norwood leave Man Utds development squad to come to Charltons development squad ? Yes no doubt he wants first team football but I doubt we could guarantee him that given his experience any more than Sir Alex could. In SCP we trust.
    Got to be honest, I think it's a bit easier to break into our first team in front of Hollands, Stephens, Pritchard and Hughes than it is to break into Man United's! He'd have to get ahead of Kagawa, Carrick, Anderson, Giggs, Scholes, Fletcher, Cleverley and Jones!
    Absolutely but what I mean is given his level of experience I can't see him getting in to our team either so what's the point for him coming as another squad player or development player. If we can afford a development squad great but can't see him wanting that. We need players that can walk straight in too the first eleven.

• I don't rate Darren O'Dea. We might as well go the whole hog and sign Paul McShane!

Hopefully that's just a rumour with no substance.

I reckon we need perhaps 5-6 players. I'd like a versatile defender as well as a centre half, we definitely need a strong central midfielder, a winger would be useful on either side (or someone who can play both), and 2 strikers to compete with Kermorgant and BWP. I like Lawrie Wilson as a right winger. If we don't sign him I bet another Championship team will.
  • How many times have you seen him to forge an opinion

Not digging anyone out I have never heard of him let alone seen him to have an opinion so where have peoole seen him to say if he is any good
  • Agree nla. I've nerver even heard of either yet alone feel able to comment on how good they are. As far as Norwood is concerned getting to remain at Old Trafford under Alex until you are 21 is quite an achievement.
  • Leeds fans delighted he's not staying at Elland Road. Anyway, this probably isn't true.
  • Leeds is one of those clubs that feel they have a divine right to be in the Premiership remember, so whilst they feel he may not be good enough, Wednesday fans were glad to see the back of Morrison, Leicester fans were glad to see the back of Kermorgant, and we were glad to see the back of Hudson who is captain of the Cardiff Red Dragons who have consistently been pushing for promotion to the premiership now. Who cares what they think, if Powell wants him then that's ok by me. As you say probably just another silly season rumour but if it isn't then for Christ's sake don't go striking them off already
  • Leeds is one of those clubs that feel they have a divine right to be in the Premiership remember, so whilst they feel he may not be good enough, Wednesday fans were glad to see the back of Morrison, Leicester fans were glad to see the back of Kermorgant, and we were glad to see the back of Hudson who is captain of the Cardiff Red Dragons who have consistently been pushing for promotion to the premiership now. Who cares what they think, if Powell wants him then that's ok by me. As you say probably just another silly season rumour but if it isn't then for Christ's sake don't go striking them off already
    Well said!
  • Especially as you can't have seen enough of them to gauge any basis of an opinion
  • Some do not want O'Dea because of his parent club
  • Sponsored links:

Scored the winner in an old firm game too.

Their names come up on the yellow ticker tape on SSN and some bright spark sticks their names up on football rumours.

Just chill and wait till any signing is on the OS. Then, but not before, you can start moaning : -)
  • Agreed
    Evidence?

One of our last signings from there was Mark Reid and if he's half as good as him, then most people will be happy.
  • I wasn't slagging O'Dea, just passing on what the majority of Leeds fans think from their msg board.
    Powell knows best. Have complete faith in the man.
  • According to the Daily Record, Bolton, Burnley, Peterborough and Barnsley are in for O'Dea. No mention of Charlton.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/england/2012/06/03/former-celtic-star-darren-o-dea-on-radar-of-championship-clubs-after-being-released-86908-23883546/

The comments about him below the article seem positive.
  • rel="Redhenry">Powell wants a left sided centre back.

This is I probably true as SCP as a left footer himself has had a very balanced team over the last season and I suspect why the O'Dea rumour has started .Someone is trying to fill the gaps .

As well as O'Dea FR has linked us with other left footed CB's Tamas Kadar formerly of the Toon ,Dan Seaborne of Southampton and SCP's ex team mate Alex Tunchev formerly of Leicester who apparently recently failed a medical with the Nigels. I wouldn't be surprised if we signed any one of those .

On another matter Baldock is mentioned in the People today as a target for Palace and the Tractor boys ,with no mention of Charlton.

• "Alonso was not a Powell signing"

Yes he was. But a manager can't get them all right. He's made fantastic signings in Wiggins, BWP, Hollands, Kermorgant, Morrison, Taylor, Cort, Hamer... So you can forgive him the flops - Alonso, Clarke, Green.
    Some do not want O'Dea because of his parent club
    Evidence?

One of our last signings from there was Mark Reid and if he's half as good as him, then most people will be happy.
    We signed Mark Reid from St Mirren, Sweaty Balmer was from ***tic, he was their reserve team captain
  • edited June 2012
    Wrong I'm afraid. We signed him from Celtic & he left us for St Mirren.
  • Wrong I'm afraid. We signed him from Celtic & he left us for St Mirren.
    Covered End is right. Mark Reid was signed from Celtic in summer of 1985.
  • I stand corrected
  • Sponsored links:

• Reid was a top player for the club and would have easily overcome the doubters, as did Hammer when he stopped scoring for the opposition.
  • Norwood would be a decent signing, United offered him a new deal so he clearly has ability, despite Coventry being relegated I think Norwood impressed there and got a couple of goals from midfield.

Not sure about O'Dea, from what i have seen think we can do better.

You think Green was a flop? He has the most assists in our team, despite not playing the first few games of the season and missed a handful at the end. Alonso was only a flop through injuries, nothing anyone could have done. Clarke not a flop either in my opinion, flop for first team football, but sale value is more than Beno so worth the deal we made.

• Statbank says BWP and Wiggins got more assists and Hollands just as many.

Not a flop but didn't secure his place in the starting 11 and ended the season with Wagstaff ahead of him.

You think Green was a flop? He has the most assists in our team, despite not playing the first few games of the season and missed a handful at the end. Alonso was only a flop through injuries, nothing anyone could have done. Clarke not a flop either in my opinion, flop for first team football, but sale value is more than Beno so worth the deal we made.

completely agree that Green wasn't a flop. Didn't do as well as expected but hardly a flop. But Alonso and Clarke were certainly flops, a handful of games and did nothing. I agree that Clarke's sell on value is higher than Benson's, but he was still a flop.

• edited June 2012

Not a flop but didn't secure his place in the starting 11 and ended the season with Wagstaff ahead of him.
    First game of the season, Green missed through suspension.

Wagstaff began the season on fire and Green then suffered the virus that plagued his stamina all season. But once in the team, despite inconsistancy and often subbed, never missed a League game until March (apart from suspension for the Orient away game).

He missed much of the run in, we were told, through virus.

Something clearly not right with Green's health.

• Fair enough. Seen it mentioned on here, was it ever confirmed publicly?

Either way we looked a better team with some pace and energy in the midfield, something Pritchard offered as did Waggy. If Green is a success next season I doubt it'll be in a midfield 4 alongside Stephens, Hollands and Jackson.
  • I'd trust CL statbank more than Soccernet. I remember the FL site gave Green an assist in the game Haynes flicked on one of his corners to the scorer.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!